Soul Glo, the Afro Samurai - The Jarrett Allen Thread

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Re: Soul Glo, the Afro Samurai - The Jarrett Allen Thread 

Post#1241 » by Papi_swav » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:03 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:He needs to hit up Dwight Howard and see what drugs he took lol ... but he will definitely get stronger. He needs to add alot of strength, a 3 pt jumpshot, a hook and get his IQ up.

This is Dwight from his rookie year:

Jarrett Allen has a long way to go before he even is at that level of bulk :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think a reliable hook shot move and becoming at least a low 30s three point shooter would be some good growth. But he has to get physically stronger, the dude can score 15-18 points in a game just off of putbacks, dunks and catch and finish opportunities.

he also needs to stop fumbling the ball.

lmaooo wow I pictured Dwight being a lot skinnier than that but yea you're right. He need to put some glue on his hands.. sheesh Allen has long ways to go.. we need to re sign Ed Davis for sure or at least some1 who can bang down there.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#1242 » by SpeedyG » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:23 pm

He needs to make a John Collins like leap next season.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#1243 » by shakendfries » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:19 pm

ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,370

Post#1244 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Jun 8, 2019 11:50 pm

I think a forgotten element of adding Irving this summer would be the sick amount of pick and roll lobs Allen would get. He already has a nice 2 man game going with LeVert, I would expect the same with him and Irving. DLo is a really gifted passer, but he's not as much of a true 2 man game p'n'r threat like a LeVert or Kyrie, he's more of a catch them off guard from the perimeter after around the horn ball movement and catch a guy wide open off a 1 or 2 dribble off the head fake, no look.

Kyrie ain't no prime Chris Paul, but he's more of a break the defense down point guard then DLo for sure.

Kyrie and LeVert will help Allen turn into a beast in year 3 and beyond if he isn't dealt in a follow up move.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#1245 » by gigantes » Sun Jun 9, 2019 1:05 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:I think a forgotten element of adding Irving this summer would be the sick amount of pick and roll lobs Allen would get. He already has a nice 2 man game going with LeVert, I would expect the same with him and Irving. DLo is a really gifted passer, but he's not as much of a true 2 man game p'n'r threat like a LeVert or Kyrie, he's more of a catch them off guard from the perimeter after around the horn ball movement and catch a guy wide open off a 1 or 2 dribble off the head fake, no look.

Kyrie ain't no prime Chris Paul, but he's more of a break the defense down point guard then DLo for sure.

Kyrie and LeVert will help Allen turn into a beast in year 3 and beyond if he isn't dealt in a follow up move.

The highest priority for me is seeing how much strength & mass Fro can put on over the summer. A delicate balance I'm sure, since it's no good putting on so much that it reduces his shot-blocking or puts his joints at greater risk. But it's time.

When do we get good video of these guys again, training camp? Late September I guess...?
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#1246 » by Paradise » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:47 pm

Jarrett Allen on his playoff debut vs Embiid:

It fueled me pretty well. We all know, the obvious thing that was going around, all over the world, was that I was not strong enough. That is one thing I really wanted to change in the offseason.
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 925

Post#1247 » by perempe20 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:53 pm

why did the Nets sign Jordan? Allen should be a starter in the 2020 season.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,863

Post#1248 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:58 pm

perempe20 wrote:why did the Nets sign Jordan? Allen should be a starter in the 2020 season.

KD and Kyrie wanted him with them and we needed depth at center. He fits perfectly in our system.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1249 » by Prokorov » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:02 pm

perempe20 wrote:why did the Nets sign Jordan? Allen should be a starter in the 2020 season.

because we had no backup center and no bulky bigman to help vs the embiids of the world.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#1250 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:30 pm

It's time to revive this thread. I'm proud of the jump that Allen has made this season, and I think that he can sustain it. His last 5 games have been stellar on both ends, as the coaches continue to unlock his defensive switching potential and he competes through contact around the rim. As many have stated, adding some sort of go-to move will take his game and us to the next level. Our staff are not going to encourage someone who's not already innately good in the mid-range to add a mid-range J to their arsenal, so that's out. I still hold out hope for a top-of-the-key 3, that would really flummox an opposing defense the way that teams are guarding us now. I've said it in other places, he's playing like a top-10 C.

I hear some Fairweather Johnson-ing about how no one should have ever doubted Jarrett or the team's faith in him. Those same boo-birds were awfully quiet while JA was struggling. We're all fans of the Nets on this board, and no one believed that he was a bust. I think that that is a straw-man argument.

For a time, it did look as though physical play was going to be Allen's perpetual undoing. It's why John Henson, a player of similar physical tools, could never lock down the starting spot in Milwaukee.

I for one voiced the opinion that coming off the bench might better suit him and us. I never mentioned cutting his PT, only that the 2nd unit can sometimes allow young players to develop better, without the scrutiny of an opposing team's scouting report. I figured that he and Rodi shared chemistry and the bench needed a boost, while I assumed that Kyrie and DeAndre would have better on-court rapport than they do. I'm no fortune teller, but my concerns were' never unfounded. He's simply found a way to work through those obstacles, and it's a credit to both himself and our organization.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1251 » by Prokorov » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:46 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
I hear some Fairweather Johnson-ing about how no one should have ever doubted Jarrett or the team's faith in him. Those same boo-birds were awfully quiet while JA was struggling. We're all fans of the Nets on this board, and no one believed that he was a bust. I think that that is a straw-man argument.

only he was never actually struggling... As i shoved down your throat in the game thread when you said he got bullied and abused by towns inside; the facts tella complete different story then this "he gets pushed around" narrative you keep parroting

yeah no one called him a bust... people were saying he needed to benched/not start though, so lets not pretend like this is all some made up straw-man.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#1252 » by MGrand15 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:56 pm

I think the next step for JA is driving from the top of the key after our ball handlers get trapped. One or two dribbles when he has no one in front of him. Long strides or a euro step to get all the way to the rim. His length and speed should let him score or draw fouls. I don't have much faith in him developing a reliable jump shot or any kind of post game.

JA has been really good this year. He still gets pushed around but he's been attacking the offensive glass. Huge upgrade over last year. Gives him another dimension offensively. He's drawing a lot more fouls this year. The team is just better with him on the floor. He rarely makes mistakes offensively or defensively. Never does too much. My only issue with him this year is getting that free throw percentage back up to 70+.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#1253 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:40 pm

Prokorov wrote:only he was never actually struggling... As i shoved down your throat in the game thread when you said he got bullied and abused by towns inside; the facts tella complete different story then this "he gets pushed around" narrative you keep parroting

yeah no one called him a bust... people were saying he needed to benched/not start though, so lets not pretend like this is all some made up straw-man.

Let's not make this a marathon back-and-forth sesh this time, k?

11 fouls in 30 minutes part of on our road trip wasn't a struggle? Shooting sub-.40% from the FT line for a stretch this season wasn't a struggle? Nearly getting broken in half by Brandon Ingram wasn't a struggle? Gimme a break.

If you really want to do a deep-dive on my previous posts, look up the "pushed around" narrative. Never once did I say he gets pushed around in the post while defending. He has had some struggles there, but is generally OK, and that was never the arc of my analysis. Jarrett did and still does get pushed around or uprooted for box-outs in the paint; that's also a separate but related topic. My original point was getting pushed around on the perimeter, like that play in the MIN game where KAT literally pushed Jarrett into Joe on the short corner, just to prevent Harris from shooting. That level of disrespect for an opponent's airspace cannot go unchecked, and he was letting it happen earlier in the season.

Fortunately, he has learned and grown from all of these experiences. It's always darkest before dawn. Let's just celebrate his ascendance together, instead of throwing barbs at each other.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1254 » by Prokorov » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:52 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:11 fouls in 30 minutes part of on our road trip wasn't a struggle?

Nope. Especially when more than 1/3 of those were offensive fouls on screens, including 3 in a row all of which were ticky tack and i believe led to a kenny atkinson technical. Lets not pretend those were shooting fouls vs. opposing bigs he had to foul to keep for scoring. that was not the case.

flat out false, no one was ever concerned.

Shooting sub-.40% from the FT line for a stretch this season wasn't a struggle? Nearly getting broken in half by Brandon Ingram wasn't a struggle? Gimme a break.

No. shooting poor from the FT in a super small sample is NOT a concern. ESPECIALLY to start a season when FT struggles are not uncommon. I dont recall anyone voicing concern over Allen at the free throw line other then the fact that he missed 2 clutch free throws.

Nearly getting broken in half by Brandon Ingram wasn't a struggle? Gimme a break.

He got dunked on... who cares? thats going to happen when you have the balls to challenge everyone. No one was concerned because he got dunked on. all the great shot blocker get put on a poster now and then.

If you really want to do a deep-dive on my previous posts, look up the "pushed around" narrative. Never once did I say he gets pushed around in the post while defending. He has had some struggles there, but is generally OK, and that was never the arc of my analysis. Jarrett did and still does get pushed around or uprooted for box-outs in the paint; that's also a separate but related topic. My original point was getting pushed around on the perimeter, like that play in the MIN game where KAT literally pushed Jarrett into Joe on the short corner, just to prevent Harris from shooting. That level of disrespect for an opponent's airspace cannot go unchecked, and he was letting it happen earlier in the season.

As i showed you play by play from the minny game, allen getting pushed around simply has not happened this year. he gave up ONE offensive rebound vs towns, and that was on a fast break where he was no where near towns as he went to make a block on the shooter and towns came in uncontested. He has rebounded extremely well.

Fortunately, he has learned and grown from all of these experiences. It's always darkest before dawn. Let's just celebrate his ascendance together, instead of throwing barbs at each other.

there is no barbs... you are throwing out baseless claims on anecdotal nonsense and your predetermined bias that he gets "pushed around"

Not the case this year. not close. like i told you on the other boards, im going to call you out every time.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#1255 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:04 pm

You're not calling out anything, you're tilting at windmills.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1256 » by Prokorov » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:06 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:You're not calling out anything, you're tilting at windmills.

nah.

you said he got bullied. you said jordan should play over him. you said its a concern that he starts. then you pretended he got thrown areound by towns. i shoved that nonsense down your throat. Allen has been great this year since day 1. there hasnt been a single game he has been pushed around. in fact, he has been doing alot of the pushing around himself.

this isnt nets daily. you can just throw up some nonsense and have it go unnoticed
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#1257 » by GTR11 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:13 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

If he can improve his offense a little more we can do some real damage this year. He's been monster lately. Also Tim.B has a piece on front page ( bspn ) talking about how Kenny called Allen out during film study and he delivering. I was hard few times on those two but they showed me once again this team is for real.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#1258 » by Papi_swav » Sun Dec 1, 2019 2:13 am

MGrand15 wrote:I think the next step for JA is driving from the top of the key after our ball handlers get trapped. One or two dribbles when he has no one in front of him. Long strides or a euro step to get all the way to the rim. His length and speed should let him score or draw fouls. I don't have much faith in him developing a reliable jump shot or any kind of post game.

JA has been really good this year. He still gets pushed around but he's been attacking the offensive glass. Huge upgrade over last year. Gives him another dimension offensively. He's drawing a lot more fouls this year. The team is just better with him on the floor. He rarely makes mistakes offensively or defensively. Never does too much. My only issue with him this year is getting that free throw percentage back up to 70+.

His next step in my opinion should be learning that soft touch hook shot, other than improving his muscle and toughness. There's been a few time where he's been stuck about 7 ft away from the rim and he just flicks it up and hits rim or backboard. If he can learn that soft touch or little baby hook shot with both hands, then that will take him a long way. He also need to get more reps on his free throws, he's been bricking some lately. But overall, he has been very good this year and I see the improvement.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,863

Post#1259 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Dec 1, 2019 3:39 am

Be patient. This year he has been catching and finishing like we have wanted him to do for the last few seasons. In the summer if he adds a hook maneuver or practices driving in from the foul line that would be great. Either way he is a beast right now on both ends and he's averaging a double double
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#1260 » by MGrand15 » Sun Dec 1, 2019 4:33 am

I think this is the best statistical month of JAs career. Great sign. He's always been solid but now he's playing with a force that makes teams account for him. He forced Brad Stevens to bench all his mediocre centers. He's been super active on the glass on both ends.

Per minute he's crushing his rebounding career high. And his efficiency is on a whole different level.

Love what I'm seeing from him overall. Ridiculous that he's only 21.

Realistic goals for this year - get that FT% up to close to 70%. Get those assists up to 2 per game.

Return to Brooklyn Nets