ImageImage

Re-Signed: The PJ Washington Jr. Thread (3yrs/$48m)

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Re: 3J Swishington: The PJ Washington Jr. Thread 

Post#181 » by LofJ » Fri Nov 1, 2019 1:33 pm

PJ's post-game interview after the Kings game kinda shocked me (in a good way). A reporter asked about the team running a fast pace and Washington said that's what we do, and the reporter responded but that's what the Kings did too all last season and they were pretty good at it. PJ replied that they were better at it, but the way he said it was just full of confidence. It wasn't arrogant at all either, he simply had complete confidence that we were better at running than the Kings. It was real, true confidence, which is something that a lot of people (including NBA players) just don't have. That and the work he's putting in are I believe the reasons why he's playing this well so early in his career.
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#182 » by penquin11 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 4:19 pm

LofJ wrote:PJ's post-game interview after the Kings game kinda shocked me (in a good way). A reporter asked about the team running a fast pace and Washington said that's what we do, and the reporter responded but that's what the Kings did too all last season and they were pretty good at it. PJ replied that they were better at it, but the way he said it was just full of confidence. It wasn't arrogant at all either, he simply had complete confidence that we were better at running than the Kings. It was real, true confidence, which is something that a lot of people (including NBA players) just don't have. That and the work he's putting in are I believe the reasons why he's playing this well so early in his career.

Dude go back and listen to every piece of audio available from the kid. He **** nails it basically every time. I remember during his pre-draft interviews he really prided himself on being the glue that holds teams together. He really seems like the type of asset that can bring us a winning culture. Good ****. Shame we had to get him once Kemba was out the door.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,137

Post#183 » by Snidely FC » Fri Nov 8, 2019 10:46 pm

one of the ten things Zach Lowe likes this week is PJs hook shot:
6. PJ Washington's hook shot
The Hornets aren't as good as their record. Every win has been close. Every loss has been a blowout. They are 4-4 with a minus-61 point differential.

But they are fun, and the trio of Devonte' Graham, Miles Bridges and rookie Washington -- along with the coming lottery pick -- provides reason for real optimism.

Washington's not a star, but he already does most of what you want from a supporting frontcourt player. He defends multiple positions, and has even played some center.

He has hit 45% from deep, meaning he's dangerous spotting up or picking-and-popping. When he rolls to the rim, he rolls hard. He rolls to inflict pain. Switch those plays, and Washington punishes smaller defenders. He already has one of the league's sweetest, softest jump hooks:
https://media.video-cdn.espn.com/gifs/mp4/CHA_SAC_PJ_Washington_2gif.mp4
Oh, baby. Washington sees Richaun Holmes coming, and lofts that thing into the rafters. Charlotte has scored 1.32 points per possession any time Washington shoots from the post or passes to a teammate who fires right away -- a number that would have led all regular post-up threats last season, per Second Spectrum.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#184 » by BigSlam » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:37 pm

From after the Memphis game:

CuseMayne wrote:PJ seems to have cooled off quite a bit. Would like to see him look for his shot a bit more and be more assertive.

I was thinking the same thing. So I started doing some digging.

Over the past 4 games (all losses) 3J has averaged:
MPG = 28:58
PPG = 8.5
RPG = 5.5
APG = 1.25
SPG = 1.5
BPG = 1.5
TPG = .075
FGA = 8.75
FG% = 34%
3PA = 2.25
3P% = 44%
FTA = 2.0
FT% = 75%
FPG = 1.5

Over the 4 games prior (3 wins,1 loss) to the above 4 games 3J averaged:
MPG = 30:55
PPG = 15.25
RPG = 5.75
APG = 2.0
SPG = 1.25
BPG = 0.0
TPG = .1.0
FGA = 9.5
FG% = 65%
3PA = 3.25
3P% = 38%
FTA = 2.25
FT% = 66%
FPG = 2.5
B B M F 'ers
CatgutStitches
Junior
And1: 262

Post#185 » by CatgutStitches » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:39 pm

I think the league took notice that he's one of our most potent offensive weapons and have adjusted to guard him closer, but I agree, I'd still like him more assertive. The same thing has happened to Devonte but he's still managing to get his. The 2 of them are a hell of a combo together if PJ can really come on. He's a rookie that we rarely run plays for, so I'm not worried, but I sure love his skill set. They showed a graphic last game that he's leading all rookies in dunks, not to mention his advanced post game and 3pt stroke.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#186 » by DY_nasty » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:22 pm

who on the team can throw a post pass - and why do we post cody and biz more than PJ?

problem is he doesn't get the ball in a position to score often enough and we almost never run treat him as the 1 big in while we do so with cody and biz without a second thought
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#187 » by BigSlam » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:37 pm

DY_nasty wrote:who on the team can throw a post pass - and why do we post cody and biz more than PJ?

problem is he doesn't get the ball in a position to score often enough and we almost never run treat him as the 1 big in while we do so with cody and biz without a second thought

He and DG seem to have some great chemistry on the P&R.

Forget about the fact that 3J has great hands and explodes to the rim off the roll - DG can pick and pop like a boss if needed and 3J sees the court and can pass out of it if needed.

I have no idea why we wouldn't go to that as a #1 offensive play/option for stretches.
B B M F 'ers
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Post#188 » by Robot Rock » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:02 pm

ESPN rated him one of the most impressive rookies of the season so far.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#189 » by 316Hornets » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:52 am

PJ's maturity sticks out the most to me. After his hot start, I think a lot of players in that position would keep taking a lot of shots, but he has been selective in the shots he takes. Also has shown intensity on defense, very few mistakes for a rookie, and has a great mentor in Marvin to lean on. This guy is going to have a great career.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#190 » by Chapelchilla » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:06 pm

I am not surprised he came back to earth a bit. Still a teenager, he doesn't have the full "man" strength and stamina. Dude will really be balling in a year or two when he adds a few pounds to his frame and gets a pro fitness routine in place. Still looks like a great pick at #12.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Post#191 » by HornetJail » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:41 pm

Chapelchilla wrote:I am not surprised he came back to earth a bit. Still a teenager, he doesn't have the full "man" strength and stamina. Dude will really be balling in a year or two when he adds a few pounds to his frame and gets a pro fitness routine in place. Still looks like a great pick at #12.

it's the typical up and down of any young player

PJ's not a teenager though, he's 21
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Radu_Hornets
Rookie
And1: 325

Post#192 » by Radu_Hornets » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:24 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
Chapelchilla wrote:I am not surprised he came back to earth a bit. Still a teenager, he doesn't have the full "man" strength and stamina. Dude will really be balling in a year or two when he adds a few pounds to his frame and gets a pro fitness routine in place. Still looks like a great pick at #12.

it's the typical up and down of any young player

PJ's not a teenager though, he's 21

Yeah but come on, we’re not in the 80’s when anyone above 18 is magically an adult.

This guys still plays fortnite with his buddies. He is 21 but I agree, he’s close to a teenager than an adult.

Life and experiences makes you an adult, not your age.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#193 » by euphorbus » Mon Dec 2, 2019 2:07 am

I notice that P. J. barely gets above the rim on his dunks. The NBA combine measured his standing leap at 27" but at Kentucky, he measured 35.5". Right now, his jumping ability--and also his rebounding ability--are questionable. He only averages 6.6 rebounds per 36 minutes, seventh on the team. This is not a good stat for a power forward.

Any thoughts?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,034

Post#194 » by JDR720 » Mon Dec 2, 2019 2:10 am

euphorbus wrote:I notice that P. J. barely gets above the rim on his dunks. The NBA combine measured his standing leap at 27" but at Kentucky, he measured 35.5". Right now, his jumping ability--and also his rebounding ability--are questionable. He only averages 6.6 rebounds per 36 minutes, seventh on the team. This is not a good stat for a power forward.

Any thoughts?

He might be better suited to be a SF. He has shown he can shoot, so if he can defend on the perimeter thats probably a good fit.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#195 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Mon Dec 2, 2019 4:10 am

euphorbus wrote:I notice that P. J. barely gets above the rim on his dunks. The NBA combine measured his standing leap at 27" but at Kentucky, he measured 35.5". Right now, his jumping ability--and also his rebounding ability--are questionable. He only averages 6.6 rebounds per 36 minutes, seventh on the team. This is not a good stat for a power forward.

Any thoughts?

The foot injury.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#196 » by euphorbus » Mon Dec 2, 2019 4:36 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:

Any thoughts?

The foot injury.

Right. I forgot about that. I wonder if there is anything the Hornets' medical and training staff can do about it?
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#197 » by DY_nasty » Mon Dec 2, 2019 12:40 pm

kids typically don't just show up and put up 7 boards a game

the interior physicality is a huge leap from any other league
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#198 » by BigSlam » Mon Dec 2, 2019 2:17 pm

Any thoughts?

The kid has telescopic arms and understands/uses his length well - so I'm not worried about his vert measurements.

I don't have any concerns about his dunking, I think he plays above the rim just fine. It's not like he is a Kaminsky type "athlete". I'd say 3J is more above rim than below rim.
B B M F 'ers
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#199 » by BlackOutBuzz » Thu Dec 5, 2019 4:51 pm

Hollinger article on a disappointing start for 2019 rookies:Image

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,391

Post#200 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Dec 5, 2019 6:43 pm

Labeling the Hornets 'miserable' is a typical surface-level Hollinger analysis. The Hornets are not a good team but they certainly are not miserable this year unless you're really torturing out the definition of the word. Team has outperformed expectations by a wide margin with two more prized prospects (PJ, Graham) than we thought we had during the summer. Teams that expected to be in the playoff hunt but it's clear they just can't (Chicago, Detroit, Sacto) are what I would consider miserable.

Return to Charlotte Hornets