Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,603

Re: Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 2 

Post#1201 » by Dirk » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:22 pm

This is why I love Luka
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

Spoiler:
Easy points. I know its boring. But take them as opposed to the flashy step backs.

bully

Handle

Passahead

Passahead

jump

lookaway

stepback
60/21/10
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#1202 » by fuller4379 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:36 pm

We are glad the Phoenix went with the Ayton.

Read on Twitter
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#1203 » by J_T » Sun Dec 1, 2019 12:39 am

fuller4379 wrote:We are glad the Phoenix went with the Ayton.

Read on Twitter

Ouch, that team would have been quite something with Luka, Capella and... hmmm. Well, Booker would have been an issue I think. I have no doubt that for Luka it was much better to have been picked by Dallas than by Suns or Kings. Atlanta would have been good as well and Memphis wouldn't suck either - strictly from his role in the team point of view. I think that as an organization Dallas is by far the best out of those 5 though. Suns have problem with owner, Kings with GM and his staff.
J_T
Veteran

Post#1204 » by J_T » Sun Dec 1, 2019 2:14 am

Dirk wrote:

I actually checked whether you included this play or not. But because of Kleber this time. There are better and worse ways to set the screen and Kleber did it the right way. It's a strong, decisive and patient screen. Nevertheless he still had enough time to roll to the rim as Luka can often set a campfire in the paint after a solid screen and wait for teammates. He called for the screen early and it was right there. KP needs to set better screens and it's precisely these parameters that make them better: be decisive and stay strong and long enough in the screen.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1205 » by Dirk » Mon Dec 2, 2019 12:52 pm

wolfram wrote:Finally Luka with the slam!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
lukakp

powellsighting

lukagetsblocked?wtf

vslebron

pass

J_T wrote:

3 tos by Luka. Not Powell's fault ah. Ironically, this was one of the games where Luka made bad reads a few times.
Spoiler:

60/21/10
J_T
Veteran

Post#1206 » by J_T » Mon Dec 2, 2019 12:59 pm

Dirk wrote:
J_T wrote:

3 tos by Luka. Not Powell's fault ah. Ironically, this was one of the games where Luka made bad reads a few times.

Powell played well. He was able to actually catch and keep the ball this time.

His season so far is still disappointing and it doesn't change the past. I hope the future is better.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#1207 » by arkuo » Mon Dec 2, 2019 1:19 pm

J_T wrote:
Dirk wrote:
J_T wrote:

His season so far is still disappointing and it doesn't change the past. I hope the future is better.

From the looks of it, not even Donnie or Carlisle saw that Luka was making this big of a jump his sophomore year. Even us fans.

I can see our power forward slot being PF by committee again.

If only Donnie knew Luka was gonna be this good this soon, we could have just signed Nikola Mirotic last summer and asked him to stay in the US.

There arent a lot of good stretch fours available given that we have a 6'8 PG and a 7"3 unicorn. Mirotic fills that 4 spot well. And he is tearing it up now in Europe.

Anyone know if Mirotic's contract with Barcelona has an NBA opt out?
J_T
Veteran

Post#1208 » by J_T » Mon Dec 2, 2019 1:43 pm

arkuo wrote:
J_T wrote:
Dirk wrote:3 tos by Luka. Not Powell's fault ah. Ironically, this was one of the games where Luka made bad reads a few times.

From the looks of it, not even Donnie or Carlisle saw that Luka was making this big of a jump his sophomore year. Even us fans.

If only Donnie knew Luka was gonna be this good this soon, we could have just signed Nikola Mirotic last summer and asked him to stay in the US.

There arent a lot of good stretch fours available given that we have a 6'8 PG and a 7"3 unicorn. Mirotic fills that 4 spot well. And he is tearing it up now in Europe.

Pretty sure every semi-good European player has some sort of an NBA clause. Even if there is 0.01% chance that they could ever get a contract in NBA.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#1209 » by arkuo » Mon Dec 2, 2019 2:00 pm

J_T wrote:
arkuo wrote:
J_T wrote:Powell played well. He was able to actually catch and keep the ball this time.

Pretty sure every semi-good European player has some sort of an NBA clause. Even if there is 0.01% chance that they could ever get a contract in NBA.

Donnie needs to book a flight to Spain ASAP. Maybe he can convince the guy to go back to the US. He knows his way around Europeans. if there is someone who can do it, it's Donnie.

Mirotic has been around some really bad franchises, the Bulls and the Pelicans to be specific. and the environment can be really toxic. Most europeans would just pack up and leave. Maybe we can convince him that there is a better situation in Dallas now.
J_T
Veteran

Post#1210 » by J_T » Mon Dec 2, 2019 2:27 pm

arkuo wrote:
J_T wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Donnie needs to book a flight to Spain ASAP. Maybe he can convince the guy to go back to the US. He knows his way around Europeans. if there is someone who can do it, it's Donnie.

Mirotic has been around some really bad franchises, the Bulls and the Pelicans to be specific. and the environment can be really toxic. Most europeans would just pack up and leave. Maybe we can convince him that there is a better situation in Dallas now.

That's an interesting idea. However Mirotic in Europe is paid quite well. Because of higher taxation in USA his NBA salary would have to be around 12M per season to match. Also he prefers Barcelona over USA. Barcelona is a very nice city, can't blame him. I think that he also very much disliked the whole idea of being traded against your own will, the way trades are done in NBA.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#1211 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Dec 3, 2019 5:59 pm

A really nice read.

How the Mavericks Unlocked Luka Doncic’s MVP Potential

Rick Carlisle has found a way to maximize his young star’s strengths—and he didn’t have to change a thing about the 20-year-old’s game

Luka Doncic is having a moment. The 20-year-old has turned himself into an MVP candidate in just his second season in the NBA, leading the Mavs to a tie for fourth place in the West and the best offensive rating (116.0) in league history. Dallas is coming off its most impressive win of the season: a 114-100 road victory Sunday over a Lakers team that had won its previous 10 games. Luka helped close the game on a play dripping with symbolism, burying a stepback 27-footer over LeBron James:
Read on Twitter

It was only a few weeks ago that the Mavs were scuffling at 6-5, with two losses to the lowly Knicks. The team has changed but Doncic hasn’t. He has been the same player the whole time. The big difference has been that Dallas coach Rick Carlisle has tweaked his rotation to maximize his young star’s strengths. Carlisle needed time to figure out his team, as well as how to best use Kristaps Porzingis...

Carlisle’s biggest strength is his ability to find the best roles for his players. Now, for the first time in almost a decade, he can use that skill on a relevant team.

Everything in Dallas revolves around Luka’s ability to dominate the ball. He leads the league in touches, at 98.8 per game. LeBron and Nikola Jokic are the only other players this season at more than 91. And Luka’s average amount of time with the ball per game (9.2 minutes) is almost as much as LeBron and Jokic combined (10.8). No NBA player has touched the ball as much as Luka in the past six seasons. It’s not an easy style for the players orbiting him to get used to. He sucks up all the oxygen on offense. A player averaging a near triple-double (30.2 points, 9.9 rebounds, and 9.6 assists per game) doesn’t leave many points, rebounds, or assists for everyone else.

Spoiler:
Carlisle has adjusted his rotation accordingly so that the players who don’t need the ball play more with Luka. After using eight different starting lineups in the first 13 games, Carlisle has settled on the same unit over the last six: Doncic, Porzingis, Dwight Powell, Dorian Finney-Smith, and Tim Hardaway Jr. That group has an eye-popping net rating of plus-24.3 in 88 minutes, the best among all lineups in the NBA that have played at least 80 minutes this season.

Everyone fits perfectly into their role. The sheer amount of size from this five-man unit is difficult to defend. Hardaway, at 6-foot-5 and 205 pounds, is the smallest player on the floor. Doncic, at 6-foot-7 and 230 pounds, can pass over traps, while his teammates are so tall that closeouts from shorter guards don’t bother them.

But the Mavs’ biggest issue might be their reliance on their young MVP candidate. There’s a blessing and a curse that comes with a ball-dominant perimeter player. A team that relies on one player to do everything doesn’t have a Plan B when he can’t. There are more than a few similarities between Doncic and James Harden, and Harden’s teams have always fallen short in the postseason because they haven’t had a second star who could take some of the pressure off him.

Doncic could go on to win multiple MVPs over his career. But there’s also a reason the league’s MVP has won an NBA title only five times since the turn of the millennium. The award usually goes to the star player on an elite team with the least amount of help, a formula that works better in the regular season than the playoffs.

It’s hard for anyone to thrive next to this version of Luka in offensive roles beyond catching lobs and spotting up. But try convincing a 20-year-old with his talent that he can’t do everything. That’s something that can only be learned with time. Carlisle can say all the right things, but Luka still has to be willing to listen. Dallas has already exceeded expectations given the youth of its best players. The team has the depth and the coaching to get Doncic into the playoffs. It will be on him to learn the right lessons once he does.
The Ringer
J_T
Veteran

Post#1212 » by J_T » Tue Dec 3, 2019 10:50 pm

Well this week Luka couldn't repeat the player of the week award, he had to take second place after the amazing 60-pt performance by James Hard.. wait what? :lol:
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1213 » by Dirk » Wed Dec 4, 2019 12:46 pm

J_T wrote:Well this week Luka couldn't repeat the player of the week award, he had to take second place after the amazing 60-pt performance by James Hard.. wait what? :lol:

Something to keep an eye on.

Doncic had a double-double with 13 points and 10 boards in the third quarter alone and has now had at least 20 points, five rebounds and five dimes in 16 straight games, tying him with Russell Westbrook for No. 3 on the list. If he extends the streak to 18 straight games he'll tie Michael Jordan for the overall honor, and would sit alone at the top of the 20-5-5 list if he can do it in 19 straight games.

Archx wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:Pinkyring must be hating this KP 1st quarter

KP is better and better on defense. But for me, highlight of the game is already Luka clamping down Lonzo :lol:

Spoiler:
Archx wrote:[
Whine? Are you like 12yo or something? .

Don't get personal. Fine to joke around, but ignore the posts that really bother you to the point of engaging with personal/negative stuff. What you can reply to and debate, do it. What just upsets you, ignore and if it ever gets too bad, we'll do something about it and reach out privately. That's the best thing so that you have a healthy environment going forward, if you ignore, it's less likely to escalate.

Spoiler:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
leolozon wrote:Kleber miscalculated his jumps twice in a row on alley hoops. The first one was maybe the pass, but the second one, he jumped from too far. Weird. He’s usually good on those.

Powell also missed a shot at the rim. Luka should have 4-5 assists by now.

At least, the team woke up after an abysmal start.

The one I saw, the pass definitely could have been better. Luka threw it back & away from Kleber instead of out & in front.

Didn't see the other one, but agree he's usually good on those.

Correct. Luka made bad pass. He acknowledged it --- something I really appreciate in him. He knows when he messes up or even when he just had to adjust his pass a little. And he also appreciates what others do *

*Curry gravity for another topic
Check Luka viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1864641&p=80091987#p80091987
60/21/10
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1214 » by Dirk » Wed Dec 4, 2019 12:58 pm

flex

crosscourt

2x

60/21/10
J_T
Veteran

Post#1215 » by J_T » Wed Dec 4, 2019 5:12 pm

Dirk wrote:flex

When I was watching that during the game I was thinking that Dallas was a terrible match up for this NOP team. Dallas was able to go "small" and still be bigger and stronger that NOP. Their "C" is apparently 6-9 235 (although he does look to be having few extra pounds) and apart from him Luka is physically stronger than anyone else on that squad. I think adding Zion to the squad will add much needed strength, if nothing else. Delon Wright is only 5 pounds lighter than Ingram. That guy really needs to hit the gym.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#1216 » by DJ_3_Ball » Wed Dec 4, 2019 5:27 pm

Dirk wrote:
Spoiler:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
leolozon wrote:Kleber miscalculated his jumps twice in a row on alley hoops. The first one was maybe the pass, but the second one, he jumped from too far. Weird. He’s usually good on those.

Powell also missed a shot at the rim. Luka should have 4-5 assists by now.

At least, the team woke up after an abysmal start.

The one I saw, the pass definitely could have been better. Luka threw it back & away from Kleber instead of out & in front.

Didn't see the other one, but agree he's usually good on those.

Correct. Luka made bad pass. He acknowledged it --- something I really appreciate in him. He knows when he messes up or even when he just had to adjust his pass a little. And he also appreciates what others do *

*Curry gravity for another topic
Check Luka viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1864641&p=80091987#p80091987

Yeah. That's the play I saw. I mean, Luka is a phenomenal passer. He's like the Tom Brady of passing. Lobs, no look, you name it. So, he could just be cavalier when he misses, but you're right. He owns it. Just like he did here. I have a lot of respect for Luka for that.

Another thing I really respect about Luka. He by far is the most animated on the bench for his teammates. When he's on the bench and a teammate scores. Like last night when Seth hit that deep 3. Luka has the biggest smile on his face. He's up on his feet cheering! He's one hell of a teammate! Love him for that too.
J_T
Veteran

Post#1217 » by J_T » Wed Dec 4, 2019 5:39 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:Another thing I really respect about Luka. He by far is the most animated on the bench for his teammates. When he's on the bench and a teammate scores. Like last night when Seth hit that deep 3. Luka has the biggest smile on his face. He's up on his feet cheering! He's one hell of a teammate! Love him for that too.

I wouldn't say that necessarily, that bench can be pretty animated. You know what was one time where everyone on the bench was so animated (including coaches) that I was thinking that I'd never seen them like that entire season? It was when Luka was shutting down Green few days ago. The coaches are probably working with Luka on defense a lot and I can understand them getting really excited when he gets a stop like that. I think with "bench" Luka you have a guy who is an entertainer and extroverted so he will often be shown on camera when he does something silly. :)

In other news, reported right here:
A straw poll of 101 media members was conducted to gauge the early MVP race has Giannis Antetokounmpo as the frontrunner.

Giannis received 48 first-place votes and was the only player to appear on all 101 ballots.
James received 29 first-place votes, 651 points, named on 100 ballots.
Doncic received 14 first-place votes, 569 points and is on 99 ballots.
Harden received 9 first-place votes, 444 points and is on 97 ballots.

BTW, looks to me like those first place add to 100, meaning that one guy (or... lady?) voted for someone else. Carmelo Anthony maybe?
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#1218 » by DJ_3_Ball » Wed Dec 4, 2019 5:54 pm

Question for the masses,

What is the next thing you will see from Luka that will really impress you?

As crazy as this sounds, a 30 point triple double doesn't "impress" me, anymore. I mean, yes. It is still impressive. But, I think it's not like Whoa! Didn't know Luka could do that, or didn't know he had progressed that far this quick already.

We know Luka is at the 30 point triple double stage. I guess if the Mavs had some unexpected trade and landed a big time scorer in here, and Luka was still putting up these 30 point triple doubles, then I would be more impressed with them.

If Luka continues to average a 30 point triple double into the ASB, I'll be slightly more impressed. I think when you get the astronomical usage Luka has, you kinda should be among the league leaders in a few categories. It'd kinda like scaling it back down to 24 pts 7 reb 7 asst per game. That and the style of play these days.

So, not to piss on Luka, the kid is incredible. All of that can be wiped away with "Yeah and he's not even 21 yet!"

But, in terms of what I think I'll see from Luka, but I'm not 100% sure, but it would really impress me.

I'm confident we'll see a 50 point game from Luka sometime soon. He would of already had one, if he could play these 4th quarters in blowouts. So, he'll have to do it vs a good team in a close game. Makes it a bit harder, but Luka will do it. One night he'll just catch fire, and his teammates will be off, and the workload will go all to him; even more than usual.

I wasn't really impressed with the 18 rebounds last night. Not as much as I should of been, anyways. It's not that impressive when a team chucks perimeter shots & the rebound falls into your lap and no teammates challenge you for it because might as well get the ball into your hands ASAP & push the ball on offense. Luka gets a lot of cheapies like that. In his defense, he gets a lot of rebounds in traffic too. He is an excellent rebounder. Just I don't know about 10.4 rpg good. I could see him getting 20 rebounds in a game in the near future. It wouldn't shock me at all. Especially vs a team that tries to run a small ball lineup vs the Mavs. Luka could have 15 by the half. No problem.

What will impress me the most... well outside of Luka having a 5 steal, 3 blk performance where he is just masterful on the defensive end...

What will impress me the most is when Luka has his first 20 assist game. I think that's coming. But, this supporting cast doesn't shoot it too well. Otherwise he might of already been a threat for 20. It'll take Luka being masterful, because his teammates will probably leave a few on the table.

I don't know. It'd just be fun. I think Luka could give ya 25 assists. I think he'll do that one day. He might even have a 30 assist game in him at some point in his career. For context, Steve Nash's career high was 22.
aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#1219 » by aggerrard » Wed Dec 4, 2019 5:58 pm

BTW, looks to me like those first place add to 100, meaning that one guy (or... lady?) voted for someone else. Carmelo Anthony maybe?

Kawhi ;)
J_T
Veteran

Post#1220 » by J_T » Wed Dec 4, 2019 6:07 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:Question for the masses,

What is the next thing you will see from Luka that will really impress you?

As crazy as this sounds, a 30 point triple double doesn't "impress" me, anymore. I mean, yes. It is still impressive. But, I think it's not like Whoa! Didn't know Luka could do that, or didn't know he had progressed that far this quick already.

We know Luka is at the 30 point triple double stage. I guess if the Mavs had some unexpected trade and landed a big time scorer in here, and Luka was still putting up these 30 point triple doubles, then I would be more impressed with them.

If Luka continues to average a 30 point triple double into the ASB, I'll be slightly more impressed. I think when you get the astronomical usage Luka has, you kinda should be among the league leaders in a few categories. It'd kinda like scaling it back down to 24 pts 7 reb 7 asst per game. That and the style of play these days.

So, not to piss on Luka, the kid is incredible. All of that can be wiped away with "Yeah and he's not even 21 yet!"

But, in terms of what I think I'll see from Luka, but I'm not 100% sure, but it would really impress me.

I'm confident we'll see a 50 point game from Luka sometime soon. He would of already had one, if he could play these 4th quarters in blowouts. So, he'll have to do it vs a good team in a close game. Makes it a bit harder, but Luka will do it. One night he'll just catch fire, and his teammates will be off, and the workload will go all to him; even more than usual.

I wasn't really impressed with the 18 rebounds last night. Not as much as I should of been, anyways. It's not that impressive when a team chucks perimeter shots & the rebound falls into your lap and no teammates challenge you for it because might as well get the ball into your hands ASAP & push the ball on offense. Luka gets a lot of cheapies like that. In his defense, he gets a lot of rebounds in traffic too. He is an excellent rebounder. Just I don't know about 10.4 rpg good. I could see him getting 20 rebounds in a game in the near future. It wouldn't shock me at all. Especially vs a team that tries to run a small ball lineup vs the Mavs. Luka could have 15 by the half. No problem.

What will impress me the most... well outside of Luka having a 5 steal, 3 blk performance where he is just masterful on the defensive end...

What will impress me the most is when Luka has his first 20 assist game. I think that's coming. But, this supporting cast doesn't shoot it too well. Otherwise he might of already been a threat for 20. It'll take Luka being masterful, because his teammates will probably leave a few on the table.

I don't know. It'd just be fun. I think Luka could give ya 25 assists. I think he'll do that one day. He might even have a 30 assist game in him at some point in his career. For context, Steve Nash's career high was 22.

I'm impressed every time he keeps doing what he is doing. Longevity and consistency counts. I don't care for any such statistical milestones, that's not the right way to watch basketball or to evaluate players. Not to mention that ultimately it will lead to your depression if you are always impressed only by "more".

Return to Dallas Mavericks