Disinformation Campaigns

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Disinformation Campaigns 

Post#1 » by Bayside » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:25 pm

Hi,

A lot of social media giants are shutting down disinformation campaigns now. They have set criteria on text formatting and routines to determine if it is something like that. Currently globally, and here on RealGM these things are popping up everywhere. This isn't an unknown issue are really that surprising that it would show up here. Nor is it a tinfoil hat wearing premise. So I wonder if there are any plans to develop a way to deal with it? In current events a note by a moderator said "Everyone has a right to their opinion, regardless of their motivation". So is that really going to be the position or is this just an area that hasn't been really thought through yet.

I have seen several posters just in last week resurface and run the same type of script. And most of them have the same exact technique, format and messages.
Astroturfing
Impression management- I have no bias no agenda but... Dont mean to derail but. Just for the sake of information.
Socratic Triangles repetitive questions to to triangulate on bias no truthful implication to direct to the message
Deceptive methods of persuasion
a deflecting and redirecting to what the message is.

If you know what your looking for you can see the patterns.
So just an interesting subject since now it looks to be occurring here.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,648

Re: Disinformation Campaigns 

Post#2 » by Howard Mass » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:44 am

Bayside wrote:Hi,

A lot of social media giants are shutting down disinformation campaigns now. They have set criteria on text formatting and routines to determine if it is something like that. Currently globally, and here on RealGM these things are popping up everywhere. This isn't an unknown issue are really that surprising that it would show up here. Nor is it a tinfoil hat wearing premise. So I wonder if there are any plans to develop a way to deal with it? In current events a note by a moderator said "Everyone has a right to their opinion, regardless of their motivation". So is that really going to be the position or is this just an area that hasn't been really thought through yet.

I have seen several posters just in last week resurface and run the same type of script. And most of them have the same exact technique, format and messages.
Astroturfing
Impression management- I have no bias no agenda but... Dont mean to derail but. Just for the sake of information.
Socratic Triangles repetitive questions to to triangulate on bias no truthful implication to direct to the message

If you know what your looking for you can see the patterns.
So just an interesting subject since now it looks to be occurring here.

Bayside,

Are you referring to User Posts or Ads?

If it's posts, which Forums are you referring too?
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#3 » by Bayside » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:29 pm

Hi,
Not ads but users of this webiste. I was banned pretty quick from the current affairs board so doesn't really matter any more because I cant post... But I had written this question after I got engaged with a poster who followed a structure I learned while in study of politics and propaganda at university. And since there is such a large scale of fraud, disinformation etc in current online communities I had wondered where real gm is on this topic ..I laid it out pretty good in original post. reposing that part below-

have seen several posters just in last week resurface and run the same type of script. And most of them have the same exact technique, format and messages.
Astroturfing
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,648

Post#4 » by Howard Mass » Tue Dec 3, 2019 2:11 am

Bayside wrote:Hi,
Not ads but users of this webiste. I was banned pretty quick from the current affairs board so doesn't really matter any more because I cant post... But I had written this question after I got engaged with a poster who followed a structure I learned while in study of politics and propaganda at university. And since there is such a large scale of fraud, disinformation etc in current online communities I had wondered where real gm is on this topic ..I laid it out pretty good in original post. reposing that part below-

have seen several posters just in last week resurface and run the same type of script. And most of them have the same exact technique, format and messages.
Astroturfing

Bayside,

A bot account was actually banned for something similar to this.

If you see this, please feel free to report it.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:

Return to Feedback and Suggestions