ImageImageImageImageImage

Thoughts on Rondo so far?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

LALifer49
Rookie
And1: 862

Thoughts on Rondo so far? 

Post#1 » by LALifer49 » Mon Dec 2, 2019 3:46 pm

I’m a bit divided on the guy at the moment, though I think trending positive overall. He’s putting up solid stats, seems to fairly consistently hit the offensive boards, and definitely fills a need. The biggest plus for him is he is hitting the 3 damn well. That said his holding the ball while doing nothing for long stretches is pretty annoying, especially when Davis and lbj are in, and I feel like he minimizes Kuzma at this point though I think Kuzma needs to define his role with the team more in general. I know there were a lot of reservations about rondo coming into the season and also a recognition we needed his skill set. So, thoughts?
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,815

Re: Thoughts on Rondo so far? 

Post#2 » by TyCobb » Mon Dec 2, 2019 4:35 pm

Rondo, Daniels, and Dudley are all useless.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#3 » by iamworthy » Mon Dec 2, 2019 4:44 pm

Wouldn't bother me one bit if he was traded or benched. I don't understand any lineup with him and LeBron in it. LeBron needs the ball in his hands which makes rondo useless. Even when rondo has the ball he looks indecisive and hesitant. I almost lost my mind yesterday when he had the ball at the end of the quarter just dribbling. Luckily it worked out with the pass to LeBron but I was hot at that point.
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,961

Post#4 » by SweetTouch » Mon Dec 2, 2019 5:39 pm

hes Not a good basketball player
Stop being so disrespectful.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#5 » by Kilroy » Mon Dec 2, 2019 7:13 pm

I'm not sure about Rondo either... There's been a few games where I thought he was doing good things. Where I thought the offense was rolling better with him in. But overall, he just doesn't seem to provide a whole lot. Maybe when we make the playoffs... But in the meantime, we basically have 2 slow-it-down PGs and nobody who can push the offense in transition. LeBron does it occasionally, but it would be nice if we had a guy like maybe Dragic who could get things moving off the bench, instead of Rondo.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#6 » by kobe808lak » Mon Dec 2, 2019 8:57 pm

He's trash. He's the exact opposite of a PG that we need to come in for LBJ...
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,661

Post#7 » by dockingsched » Mon Dec 2, 2019 9:50 pm

As much as people may argue about his offense, whether it’s his ball dominance, creating for others, outside shooting, truth is his defense is horrendous. Borderline unplayable.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,330

Post#8 » by Dr Aki » Mon Dec 2, 2019 10:04 pm

His offense is better than I expected.

His defense is trash.

He has a defacto NTC.

He's here to stay. Get used to him.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#9 » by Landsberger » Mon Dec 2, 2019 10:46 pm

I'm not faulting Rondo for all that we are seeing with the second unit. Our rotations have been "Lukeish" with the second unit. I think there is a way to get what he's good at while minimizing what he's not good at. That's what coaches do with just about every other team without 2 superstars. I think if/when we get our health back we will see some rhythm to the second unit.

I also don't think Rondo will be moved.... the best the Rondo haters can hope for is a season ending injury.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#10 » by danfantastk32 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:43 am

I'd pose another question: what did you expect from Rondo going in?

The guy's sub-par...but didn't we know that? Isn't that why we're paying him the vets min? What more do you want from a guy playing 20min, and getting the min? I'm fine with him, because I walked in with a healthy level of low-expectations. Wish we had more there....but if there was more, he wouldn't have been waiting weeks to sign the vets min with us.

There's this ridiculous "Rondo vs Caruso" thing out there....but anyone hoping for great things outa either player will be sorely disappointed with this season.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,175

Post#11 » by SlimShady83 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:59 am

Caruso should be getting a tone of minutes <> yes I'm a fan of the white mamba

asa for Rondo, just wait until playoff time :) that's when we will need him a lot more IMO
Bring back Defense
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#12 » by nzahir » Tue Dec 3, 2019 7:28 am

According to RAPTOR, Rondo is the 4th worst defensive pg (190 minutes or more). Below him is IT, Fox, and Frank Jackson

Thoughts on Ryan Arcidiacono, Satoransky, or Jalen Brunson (don't see mavs moving him if the deal doesn't make enough sense)?
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#13 » by Pythagoras » Tue Dec 3, 2019 7:30 am

dockingsched wrote:As much as people may argue about his offense, whether it’s his ball dominance, creating for others, outside shooting, truth is his defense is horrendous. Borderline unplayable.

This times eleventy-billion. He’s one of the worst defenders in the league, easily bottom 5 percent. How a role player like him gets away with not having to play defense is mind blowing.
Numbers rule the universe.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#14 » by Pythagoras » Tue Dec 3, 2019 7:33 am

danfantastk32 wrote:I'd pose another question: what did you expect from Rondo going in?

The guy's sub-par...but didn't we know that? Isn't that why we're paying him the vets min? What more do you want from a guy playing 20min, and getting the min? I'm fine with him, because I walked in with a healthy level of low-expectations. Wish we had more there....but if there was more, he wouldn't have been waiting weeks to sign the vets min with us.

There's this ridiculous "Rondo vs Caruso" thing out there....but anyone hoping for great things outa either player will be sorely disappointed with this season.

I want him to put forth some sort of damn effort on the defensive end. EVERYBODY has bought in on defense except him. He’s single-handedly dragging a team that was absolutely dominant defensively to just being pretty good.
Numbers rule the universe.
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#15 » by nzahir » Tue Dec 3, 2019 8:30 am

Cmon Vogel and even Bron, lay your foot down

Cant let Rondo brainwash AD. He is a TRASH player and I hope AD realizes this.

Sometimes you don't know whats best for you. Numbers and tape dont lie
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,543

Post#16 » by stan francisco » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:02 pm

His defense is non existent. In April it won’t be, but I’d rest him as much as possible now.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,948

Post#17 » by thebigbird » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:26 pm

He's the worst player on the Lakers and one of the worst players in the NBA. He's unplayable against even decent teams. He's a traffic cone on defense. On offense he pounds the ball into the ground hunting for assists. He constantly misses cutters. He was brought in to run the offense with AD when LeBron sits, but the AD/Rondo pairing has been terrible this year. The best way to improve the Lakers is to send him home Carmelo Anthony style.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,282

Post#18 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 4:33 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:I'd pose another question: what did you expect from Rondo going in?

It is silly bec they have different roles to this team.
Lakers do not have any legit veteran facilitator aside from Lebron. Cook and Daniels can shoot same with Green. Bradley and KCP can defend quick players but none of them can do what Rondo does. The 35 yr old James has been playing too many mins IMO, and I can see good defensive teams like the Clippers extending their defense 90 feet to wear down Lebron.
Rondo is not an allstar but he is not a bad player either.
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,948

Post#19 » by thebigbird » Tue Dec 3, 2019 4:59 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:

It is silly bec they have different roles to this team.
Lakers do not have any legit veteran facilitator aside from Lebron. Cook and Daniels can shoot same with Green. Bradley and KCP can defend quick players but none of them can do what Rondo does. The 35 yr old James has been playing too many mins IMO, and I can see good defensive teams like the Clippers extending their defense 90 feet to wear down Lebron.
Rondo is not an allstar but he is not a bad player either.

He is a bad player though... A really, really bad player.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,967

Post#20 » by zimpy27 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 5:14 pm

dockingsched wrote:As much as people may argue about his offense, whether it’s his ball dominance, creating for others, outside shooting, truth is his defense is horrendous. Borderline unplayable.

Borderline?

on/ff of -6

I would say Rondo, Daniels, Dudley are all unplayable. They aren't young enough that you expect them to improve over the season, this is as good as it gets for them.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie

Return to Los Angeles Lakers