All Elite Wrestling - Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Re: All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#541 » by Spens1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:15 am

daoneandonly wrote:MJF is a guy you want to see what's coming to him, that's one of the true marks of a good heel. he just has that arrogance about him that you want to see someone wipe that smirk off his face and the guy can talk. I get it indeed.

If i where to give a comparison, it would be the Miz to be honest. They're both pretty similar (maybe MJF is slightly more theatrical however and better on the mic than miz was at the same stage in his career).
Dubious Handles
Sixth Man
And1: 3,911

Post#542 » by Dubious Handles » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:34 am

Just watched the show, it was great. Orange Cassidy's gimmick is fun, and the opening match with Rey Fenix and Nick Jackson was awesome. Ratings are down hoowever for this week, as AEW lost the war to NXT.
I hate that it is NXT battling it out with AEW, why couldnt it be Smackdown or Raw...
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#543 » by Stanford » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:45 pm

AEW has a tag team from Deadwood
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#544 » by Stanford » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:53 am

MJF wrote:You people
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#545 » by Stanford » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:28 am

Main event was great
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#546 » by iMoreland » Mon Dec 2, 2019 11:01 pm

AEW only had 660K viewers last Wednesday. They lost 230K viewers in a week. For a show that's usually under 1M, that's pretty alarming.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#547 » by Dominator83 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 12:21 pm

iMoreland wrote:AEW only had 660K viewers last Wednesday. They lost 230K viewers in a week. For a show that's usually under 1M, that's pretty alarming.

I was at the show, and I thought it was very mediocre. That 20 minute Jericho segment to start the show was cringeworthy and very RAW/SD- esque
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#548 » by Stanford » Tue Dec 3, 2019 12:39 pm

Dominater wrote:Kenny Omega... I feel like in AEW he's just been ok.

I think this is intentional. They're building a long term story with Omega. At some point will we have a Omega got his mojo back moment that will pay it off. Presently, I believe he's trying to portray someone who is conflicted about leaving New Japan and finding it difficult to fit in with a new company (which may also be true). We'll likely see a catalyzing moment that causes Omega's mindset to change. Hell, he's talked about this in promos and the commentary team has also discussed his relatively mediocre performance thus far on several occasions, a clear signal that this is intentional.

I mean, the Undertale video?

It's pretty clear! Omega left his best friend in New Japan and now he's not sure if he made the right decision, which is keeping him from performing at the highest level. Pretty relatable stuff, really. When we make a big change in our lives, we're never totally sure if it's the correct decision. Doubts and regrets pile on and it may cause a performer to lose focus for long enough to cost them a match, which makes things worse.

I think we'll see a payoff for Omega that will make his slow start make sense. You can quote me on that!

(I moved this to its proper thread)
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#549 » by Stanford » Wed Dec 4, 2019 5:16 pm

Read on Twitter

A very strange commercial.

NXT is still a darling among wrestling fans. They have developed zero bad will for AEW to exploit. If anything, people are still making up their minds about which show they prefer. Even WWE critics admit that NXT is a good wrestling show and Dynamite has yet to make a huge cultural impact. The strategy to go after NXT in a TV spot strikes me as a bad one. All they're doing is making a direct comparison between their company and WWE's developmental brand, a comparison which, if anyone wanted to look into it, would reveal that NXT's last special event (Takeover: War Games 2) was superior to AEW's last ppv (Full Gear) and that the television ratings (which I still don't care about, for the record) have swung in favor of NXT.

This is like the best case scenario for Vince. His biggest competition is competing with a brand he doesn't even care about and struggling to win that battle.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#550 » by Marcus » Wed Dec 4, 2019 7:12 pm

Stanford wrote:
Read on Twitter

A very strange commercial.

NXT is still a darling among wrestling fans. They have developed zero bad will for AEW to exploit. If anything, people are still making up their minds about which show they prefer. Even WWE critics admit that NXT is a good wrestling show and Dynamite has yet to make a huge cultural impact. The strategy to go after NXT in a TV spot strikes me as a bad one. All they're doing is making a direct comparison between their company and WWE's developmental brand, a comparison which, if anyone wanted to look into it, would reveal that NXT's last special event (Takeover: War Games 2) was superior to AEW's last ppv (Full Gear) and that the television ratings (which I still don't care about, for the record) have swung in favor of NXT.

This is like the best case scenario for Vince. His biggest competition is competing with a brand he doesn't even care about and struggling to win that battle.

yeah i saw that commercial last night and thought it didn't make a lot of sense to do. Only thing i could think was petty retaliation of sorts from the Britt Baker thing.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#551 » by WRau1 » Thu Dec 5, 2019 4:25 am

Can AEW get through one show without mentioning WWE?
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#552 » by Scott Hall » Thu Dec 5, 2019 5:31 am

First time I watched a full episode of Dynamite live in a few weeks it's still not really clicking with me yet.
Interesting to see what the ratings are this week.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#553 » by The_Brecht » Thu Dec 5, 2019 7:56 am

Dusty kicking out of that incredible flip was just ridiculous.
On a tv show that should always be the finish.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#554 » by Spens1 » Thu Dec 5, 2019 9:05 am

So much better than last week, glad they woke up cause last week was rather mediocre. They do still need to get it together storytelling wise (if you don't watch BTE you're stuffed basically). They need to start showing clips here and there kind of like impact to tie in the story i think.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#555 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 5, 2019 3:30 pm

I still root for AEW, but the talent level in NXT is so much higher - I find myself watching NXT a lot more than AEW.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#556 » by jr lucosa » Thu Dec 5, 2019 4:33 pm

I caught some of this last night and really liked the feel of the show, I want to try and get into this.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#557 » by jakecronus8 » Thu Dec 5, 2019 6:41 pm

Seems like casuals and a good amount of hardcore fans are starting to turn on AEW, at least based on my twitter feed. Couple that with declining ratings and I don’t think they’re long for this world. Can’t see the Khan’s losing money for years just to keep it going.
Do it for Chuck
Coach Smiley
Assistant Coach
And1: 980

Post#558 » by Coach Smiley » Thu Dec 5, 2019 9:41 pm

haven't watched in weeks, just follow via Cornette's rants lol

I still think they are way too similar to WWE in their production, and now Jericho is doing WWE-style in-ring segments I see.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#559 » by improper » Fri Dec 6, 2019 10:33 pm

I did think the way AEW showed Baker in the crowd reacting to a big moment was really funny.

That commercial was dumb, though. They're not going to win people over attacking NXT since most wrestling fans love it.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#560 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Dec 9, 2019 9:54 pm

I haven’t watched since Full Gear, I just don’t have enough time on top of Raw and Smackdown. The reality is for AEW to win they can’t just get people who are already watching WWE and/or NXT, they have to get people to quit WWE and only watch AEW. But it’s hard to do that.

Return to Pro Wrestling