ImageImageImageImageImage

Game 15: Los Angeles Lakers (12-2) @ Oklahoma City Thunder (5-9) - 8:00 PM ET

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Re: Game 15: Los Angeles Lakers (12-2) vs Oklahoma City Thunder (5-9) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#241 » by Landsberger » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:45 pm

I watched the second half again last night and our offense was horrible at moving the ball and recognizing where the open players were. Kuzma played 16 minutes in the second half without a shot and had just 7 offensive touches. All of them above the 3 point line. The guards were all head down with the worst offender being Cook who was horrible. We didn't move the ball from side to side and rarely tried to pass into the paint.... just driving.

Once Rondo was ejected (watching that over again I'm not sure that was as bad as it looked live) LeBron went hero and the only person who received a pass from him was Davis it seemed. The closing sequences our perimeter players were standing still and above the 3 point line. When we missed it created poor transition defense situations and no chance at offensive rebounds.

We can compare Bron iso to Kobe iso all we want but never did Phil just stand 4 guys around the perimeter and let Kobe run the clock down.... never. There was always backside motion, down screens and guys running the baseline during those plays. Since we've seen this now under Luke and Vogel I'm assuming the Bron is "guiding" this.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Re: Game 15: Los Angeles Lakers (12-2) vs Oklahoma City Thunder (5-9) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#242 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:55 pm

Landsberger wrote: We can compare Bron iso to Kobe iso all we want but never did Phil just stand 4 guys around the perimeter and let Kobe run the clock down.... never. There was always backside motion, down screens and guys running the baseline during those plays. Since we've seen this now under Luke and Vogel I'm assuming the Bron is "guiding" this.

ehh....I remember Kobe waiving people further away to the side, and the occasional superficial 'movement' but by and large, it looks like oranges and oranges to me. You can throw the old Jordan Bulls in there as well. Didn't care for it then....don't care for it now.

If there's a mismatch to exploit..great. But otherwise, why not go with the offense that got you to this point? I don't mind a play or two at the last 45 seconds...since there are typically time-outs, and teams have a chance to cherry-pick players, and set up their D. But we are getting way too reliant on it, for my taste. Still......we're churning out W's. So if it keeps working, then I'll bite my tongue.
bb22
Starter
And1: 984

Re: Game 15: Los Angeles Lakers (12-2) @ Oklahoma City Thunder (5-9) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#243 » by bb22 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:07 pm

Is Rondo suspended for the next game?
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Re: Game 15: Los Angeles Lakers (12-2) @ Oklahoma City Thunder (5-9) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#244 » by snaquille oatmeal » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:08 pm

Feels like successfully completed a task like building a house and then the in-laws come over start criticizing things like “well he obviously should have painted the side of the house with side to side strokes instead of up and down”.
We won live mas!
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,282

Post#245 » by tamaraw08 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:06 am

danfantastk32 wrote:
Landsberger wrote: We can compare Bron iso to Kobe iso all we want but never did Phil just stand 4 guys around the perimeter and let Kobe run the clock down.... never. There was always backside motion, down screens and guys running the baseline during those plays. Since we've seen this now under Luke and Vogel I'm assuming the Bron is "guiding" this.

ehh....I remember Kobe waiving people further away to the side, and the occasional superficial 'movement' but by and large, it looks like oranges and oranges to me. You can throw the old Jordan Bulls in there as well. Didn't care for it then....don't care for it now.

If there's a mismatch to exploit..great. But otherwise, why not go with the offense that got you to this point? I don't mind a play or two at the last 45 seconds...since there are typically time-outs, and teams have a chance to cherry-pick players, and set up their D. But we are getting way too reliant on it, for my taste. Still......we're churning out W's. So if it keeps working, then I'll bite my tongue.

Its very hard to complain about a team who scored 130 pts on 32 assists including 21 from 2 superstars and It’s not abnormal to switch to iso ball for teams in the final couple of possessions to minimize passing miscues.
However I get what Lansberger is saying. Yes they’re winning... against bad teams who won’t go to the playoffs... but it wouldn’t work against tough defensive teams like the Clippers and Utah etc.
As a Lakers fan I hope and pray that Vogel and his staff have several good plays with options saved up for these games.
Lebron can shoot over shorter and ok defenders but that’s his main strength, he’s no MJ or Kobe or even Kawhi. Don’t get me wrong, I freaking love the way he pass the ball and set up teammates and him facilitating this ball rotation is a thing of beauty.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#246 » by Michael Lucky » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:17 pm

If Kuzma refuses to play on offense then he should not be played at all.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#247 » by LAKESHOW » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:23 pm

This is another feather in the iggy cap. He is a solid defender. And he is experienced enough to assert himself on offense. Sometimes Kuz wont assert himself out of respect for the King. And defensively he lacks lateral quickness
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,543

Post#248 » by stan francisco » Tue Dec 3, 2019 12:53 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:This is another feather in the iggy cap. He is a solid defender. And he is experienced enough to assert himself on offense. Sometimes Kuz wont assert himself out of respect for the King. And defensively he lacks lateral quickness

Maybe he’s scared LBJ will trade him.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers