ImageImageImage

2019 season speculation including trade ideas

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Will Booker make the all-star team this year?

Yes
49%
No
51%

Total votes: 77

Blonde
Veteran
And1: 3,723

Re: 2019 season speculation 

Post#1761 » by Blonde » Tue Dec 3, 2019 7:22 am

It’s pretty clear Tyler Johnson is completely expendable. I still like the guy and he does stuff on both sides of the court that are useful but we don’t need him and he shouldn’t be brought back after this year. To let his contract expire would be negligent.

We’re playing at a level where our lottery protected first is an attractive asset. It’ll probably end up between 11 and 16 or so. Dario has positive value. Bridges and Cam are available for the right return as well.

I looked at the Bulls forum and they are pretty much ready to give up on Markkanen. I doubt their front office would trade him before firing their coach but it’s definitely not off the table. I don’t even like Lauri much but if he can be had without giving up a major asset then we should be interested from purely an upside perspective.

I wish we had taken Isaac in the draft (or Fox). I’ll eat crow on that. He would be the absolute perfect fit with this team right now.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#1762 » by Bogyo » Tue Dec 3, 2019 7:52 am

Blonde wrote:It’s pretty clear Tyler Johnson is completely expendable. I still like the guy and he does stuff on both sides of the court that are useful but we don’t need him and he shouldn’t be brought back after this year. To let his contract expire would be negligent.

We’re playing at a level where our lottery protected first is an attractive asset. It’ll probably end up between 11 and 16 or so. Dario has positive value. Bridges and Cam are available for the right return as well.

I looked at the Bulls forum and they are pretty much ready to give up on Markkanen. I doubt their front office would trade him before firing their coach but it’s definitely not off the table. I don’t even like Lauri much but if he can be had without giving up a major asset then we should be interested from purely an upside perspective.

I wish we had taken Isaac in the draft (or Fox). I’ll eat crow on that. He would be the absolute perfect fit with this team right now.

Just so everyone can read it again. Bullseye, I have nothing else to say.
javilugar
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#1763 » by javilugar » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:03 am

In a bad shooting night (0/5 from three), Rubio with 13 assists, 4 steals and 0 turnovers
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,411

Post#1764 » by Revived » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:32 am

Blonde wrote:It’s pretty clear Tyler Johnson is completely expendable. I still like the guy and he does stuff on both sides of the court that are useful but we don’t need him and he shouldn’t be brought back after this year. To let his contract expire would be negligent.

Based on how Bulls fans describe Lauri, he’s basically a 7ft version of Dario Saric.

I would trade Saric straight up for him perhaps both players need a change of scenery. But not sure I would offer anything more.

The only appealing thing with Lauri is that he’s still under contract for next season while Saric hits free agency after this season.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#1765 » by Dual » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:18 pm

Laurie last year was up to be one of the best PF in the league, that has never been the case with Saric.
I will trade for him in a heartbeat.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,689

Re: Trade deadline ideas and possibilities using TJs' expiring 

Post#1766 » by Qwigglez » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:20 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:It hasn't seemed to me that Tyler's a favorite of Coach Monty's. Quick to pull him. Quick to yank him from the rotation. I think we still need his depth at the 2 spot though.

The thing that gets me about this conversation, though, is the fact that Tyler's value in trade consists mostly of cap relief - meaning we'd be taking back someone else's unwanted salary. In general, I think I prefer the flexibility we'd gain this summer by keeping him.

... Still, you're right. You have to wonder.

If we didn't make any moves until the off-season we could be sitting on $86 mil in guaranteed salary for the following players:
Booker, Ayton, Rubio, Oubre, Bridges, Cam, Jerome, Diallo, Okobo, Jecque. I assume if we want cap relief, we decline Frank Kaminsky's team option. This also means we waive the bird rights to Tyler Johnson since his cap hold is $28 mil, Baynes cap hold is $10 mil, and Saric's caphold is $10 mil.

The salary cap for 2020-21 season is projected to be $116 mil so we essentially have around $30 million to play with to improve our roster. Only player I'd be really torn about not keeping around is Baynes, so maybe we have $20 million to use in order to keep Baynes. Which free agents would you mostly be interested in to improve our roster?
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#1767 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Tue Dec 3, 2019 2:10 pm

Yeah, Lauri might be struggling this season, but adding him would be a coup.

All these anti-Saric posts are weirding me out. He's been invaluable to us this season. He misses a lot of bunnies, but he's aggressive on offense and the defense has to respect him. But what's really impressed me is his defense. Moves his feet better than you'd think, plays tough and gets to the right spots. Were we to trade him for, say, Gordon, I think we'd suffer on both ends. I'm inclined to re-sign him if he can be had for a reasonable price.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,460

Post#1768 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 2:38 pm

Could have kept Anderson last year and had that extra cap space and no Tyler and maybe have someone better. I'd love Markkanen but he's not going anywhere. Isaac either. They are both about as likely to. They are mad about Markkanen like Suns are with Booker. Doesn't mean they all want to trade him. Some may mention it, but some mention trading Booker too.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1769 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 2:41 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:Yeah, Lauri might be struggling this season, but adding him would be a coup.

All these anti-Saric posts are weirding me out. He's been invaluable to us this season. He misses a lot of bunnies, but he's aggressive on offense and the defense has to respect him. But what's really impressed me is his defense. Moves his feet better than you'd think, plays tough and gets to the right spots. Were we to trade him for, say, Gordon, I think we'd suffer on both ends. I'm inclined to re-sign him if he can be had for a reasonable price.

I'm not a big Saric fan and don't want to re-sign him really, but he's not nearly as bad as people are making him out to be. Still shooting 36% from 3 and picking up the rebounding slack when the Cs are out. Spaces the floor and needs to be guarded. Best PF we've had in a while. Sure I'd love Lauri but lets not fool ourselves that he will be available.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1770 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 2:46 pm

Revived wrote:
spanishninja wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
It hasn't seemed to me that Tyler's a favorite of Coach Monty's. Quick to pull him. Quick to yank him from the rotation. I think we still need his depth at the 2 spot though.

The thing that gets me about this conversation, though, is the fact that Tyler's value in trade consists mostly of cap relief - meaning we'd be taking back someone else's unwanted salary. In general, I think I prefer the flexibility we'd gain this summer by keeping him.

the thing though is there's not much to go after in FA this offseason, and the 2021 free agents that we could possibly get at the PF position are probably limited to LMA and Griffin (we won't get lebron, kawhi, george, giannis, so you can forget about those guys now). If one of those two guys are available now, why not try to get them two years early and use them before they get even older?

I’d go after Davis Bertans or JaMychal Green next summer (assuming he opts out) and have him as the backup PF and then draft someone to be the starting 4.

Green said he specifically took less to sign with Clippers. Bertans is basically the Troy Daniels vs of PFs...a little better shooter but does nothing else. Saric not great but better overall at everything but shooting.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1771 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 2:48 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:It hasn't seemed to me that Tyler's a favorite of Coach Monty's. Quick to pull him. Quick to yank him from the rotation. I think we still need his depth at the 2 spot though.

If we didn't make any moves until the off-season we could be sitting on $86 mil in guaranteed salary for the following players:
Booker, Ayton, Rubio, Oubre, Bridges, Cam, Jerome, Diallo, Okobo, Jecque. I assume if we want cap relief, we decline Frank Kaminsky's team option. This also means we waive the bird rights to Tyler Johnson since his cap hold is $28 mil, Baynes cap hold is $10 mil, and Saric's caphold is $10 mil.

The salary cap for 2020-21 season is projected to be $116 mil so we essentially have around $30 million to play with to improve our roster. Only player I'd be really torn about not keeping around is Baynes, so maybe we have $20 million to use in order to keep Baynes. Which free agents would you mostly be interested in to improve our roster?

Gotta keep Baynes if he will stay. Would be criminal to let him get away. I think FA options are limited. Maybe can sign some one year guys or hope to get plug and play PF in draft, but not sure of any ready ones...need to see college season play out.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,154

Post#1772 » by spanishninja » Tue Dec 3, 2019 2:53 pm

Revived wrote:
spanishninja wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
It hasn't seemed to me that Tyler's a favorite of Coach Monty's. Quick to pull him. Quick to yank him from the rotation. I think we still need his depth at the 2 spot though.

the thing though is there's not much to go after in FA this offseason, and the 2021 free agents that we could possibly get at the PF position are probably limited to LMA and Griffin (we won't get lebron, kawhi, george, giannis, so you can forget about those guys now). If one of those two guys are available now, why not try to get them two years early and use them before they get even older?

I’d go after Davis Bertans or JaMychal Green next summer (assuming he opts out) and have him as the backup PF and then draft someone to be the starting 4.

i dunno. we gotta stop going after players who are just decent. if they are 3 and D guys they gotta be elite. otherwise get overall more talented players.
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,812

Post#1773 » by RiRuHoops » Tue Dec 3, 2019 3:25 pm

Still getting Ibaka for TJ's contract would be a solid move in my book. Front court needs upgrade. Ibaka is a good fit next to Ayton and even Baynes and he's not a pipe dream in terms of getting it done.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#1774 » by Bogyo » Tue Dec 3, 2019 4:05 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:Yeah, Lauri might be struggling this season, but adding him would be a coup.

I'm not a big Saric fan and don't want to re-sign him really, but he's not nearly as bad as people are making him out to be. Still shooting 36% from 3 and picking up the rebounding slack when the Cs are out. Spaces the floor and needs to be guarded. Best PF we've had in a while. Sure I'd love Lauri but lets not fool ourselves that he will be available.

Same here. He is not an all star for sure, and he wasn't brought in for that. But we are supposed to have an all star caliber center.
So if we can re-sign him to a decent contract I'm all for it. He can be a valuable 4th/5th guy, even on a contender I think, or be a real nice trade piece down the line if we swing for a star. There aren't really any PF FAs this summer who would be a lot better than him.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,689

Post#1775 » by Qwigglez » Tue Dec 3, 2019 4:59 pm

RiRuSuns wrote:Still getting Ibaka for TJ's contract would be a solid move in my book. Front court needs upgrade. Ibaka is a good fit next to Ayton and even Baynes and he's not a pipe dream in terms of getting it done.

Would love it but I thought the Raptors have solid depth at guard already. We would then have a plethora of PF's, unless we gave the Raptors Saric as well.
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,812

Post#1776 » by RiRuHoops » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:30 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
RiRuSuns wrote:Still getting Ibaka for TJ's contract would be a solid move in my book. Front court needs upgrade. Ibaka is a good fit next to Ayton and even Baynes and he's not a pipe dream in terms of getting it done.

Would love it but I thought the Raptors have solid depth at guard already. We would then have a plethora of PF's, unless we gave the Raptors Saric as well.

The idea would be TJ and Saric. Raptors not gonna do just TJ swap. Saric gives them a young depth guy with bird's rights for control. I doubt they are going to pay Ibaka in the summer, he plays 22 MPG for them.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#1777 » by jcsunsfan » Tue Dec 3, 2019 7:14 pm

RiRuSuns wrote:Still getting Ibaka for TJ's contract would be a solid move in my book. Frontcourt needs upgrade. Ibaka is a good fit next to Ayton and even Baynes and he's not a pipe dream in terms of getting it done.

I get what you are saying in principle. Ibaka is 30 though, and his game seems to be declining some. He was a good shot blocker and three-point shooter once-upon-a-time.
Jarlaxle0204
Sixth Man
And1: 2,091

Post#1778 » by Jarlaxle0204 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 7:20 pm

Gallanari would be the target I'd be looking at if we're looking to upgrade. Wonder what it would take to get him. I don't mind giving up our pick this year (with protections).
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#1779 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Tue Dec 3, 2019 7:34 pm

Jarlaxle0204 wrote:Gallanari would be the target I'd be looking at if we're looking to upgrade. Wonder what it would take to get him. I don't mind giving up our pick this year (with protections).

Why not just target him in free agency?
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#1780 » by BobbieL » Tue Dec 3, 2019 7:37 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
BobbieL wrote:Tyler didn’t play tonight

Jerome got some play

Wonder if this puts a trade in motion. Ayton needs to be back first

I am still thinking a smaller move though Gallo might be an option if OKC wants maybe a conditional pick.

My trade is - if healthy and Minnesota wants DLo, the Suns make it a three team deal for Teague. Maybe get an upgrade to Tyler but still an expiring. Tyler would be bought out by the Warriors.

I looked at Danilo - he is 31 and expiring. Is he that much better than Saric

Return to Phoenix Suns