ImageImage

GT charlotte vs suns 12/2 7PM EST

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Re: GT charlotte vs suns 12/2 7PM EST 

Post#61 » by euphorbus » Tue Dec 3, 2019 5:18 am

Radu_Hornets wrote:Why is Cody Martin not playing? He can do what Bacon does, but better.

I was wondering the same thing. Those three consecutive layups Bacon missed were inexcusable. You can't even miss like that in high school without getting benched.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,736

Post#62 » by Diop » Tue Dec 3, 2019 7:18 am

[list=][/list]
Read on Twitter

So 2 of our prospects are crap at defence, do we just prey they eventually get it?
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#63 » by LofJ » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:09 pm

Borrego can't coach defense. It's a problem that needs to be addressed this summer.
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 849

Post#64 » by -Ian- » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:42 pm

LofJ wrote:Borrego can't coach defense. It's a problem that needs to be addressed this summer.

Maybe we can bring in Thibs next season? I know Triano is the associate head coach so I wonder if he's keen on the idea of passing that title to Thibs.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#65 » by Diop » Tue Dec 3, 2019 2:20 pm

the boys keep getting caught ball watching, is that the coaches fault?
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#66 » by LamarMatic7 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 5:18 pm

-Ian- wrote:
Diop wrote:
fatlever wrote:lol, since when was lamar a huge frank fan?

and where the **** is lamar?

His mates paid Frank to do it as a joke. He seems super busy

Lamar's mates paid Frank for this video? That's wild!

Lamar is now a sportscaster in Latvia, right? He's living the life.

I'm alive and kicking. So cool to know that you guys remember me. How are you doing?

yeah, my mates caught me by surprise by getting me video messages on my birthday from a couple of guys who I legitimately like, yet also included Frank Kaminsky.

everything since the summer of 2018 has been a blur. some times seems like you start work on Monday morning and go to sleep on Sunday. I am very thankful for a few people in my life who have given me all kinds of opportunities in journalism and basketball.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#67 » by BigSlam » Tue Dec 3, 2019 7:47 pm

Diop wrote:[list=][/list]
Read on Twitter

So 2 of our prospects are crap at defence, do we just prey they eventually get it?

In fairness to Bridges he is often tasked with guarding the opposing teams best offensive player - regardless of how big or small they are.

And we need to move away from trying to make him a casual PF and instruct him to trim/become lighter and make him a full time SF.
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#68 » by BigSlam » Tue Dec 3, 2019 7:49 pm

As others have said: Why the hell did JB ride Bacon when he was stinking the place up?

Put Thing #1 in - especially when we were up with 3 1/2 mins to go. We needed to control them and keep them from scorning - not continually bust open layups (Bacon). Thing #1 would have controlled them and kept them from scoring wayyyyyyyyyy better than Bake did.
B B M F 'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#69 » by DY_nasty » Tue Dec 3, 2019 8:56 pm

Radu_Hornets wrote:This one is on Borrego again.
No excuse to ride Bacon so long when we needed somebody else better.
Why is Cody Martin not playing? He can do what bacon does, but better.

we invested in bacon. now is the time to know if guys were worth it or not....

i'd rather see bacon fail a dozen times then trot batum out there again like he'll surprise us at this point :lol: i don't even want his 'good defense' anymore either. let monk guard people until he figures it out.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#70 » by DY_nasty » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:00 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Diop wrote:[list=][/list]
Read on Twitter

In fairness to Bridges he is often tasked with guarding the opposing teams best offensive player - regardless of how big or small they are.

And we need to move away from trying to make him a casual PF and instruct him to trim/become lighter and make him a full time SF.

nah, he's constantly lost dude. he plays for the box score too. the only reason marv plays is because bridges can't be counted on to guard anyone with SF/PF size inside and the main reason Batum got extended minutes the past week is because Bridges can't stop penetration from guards either.

he's in a really, really bad spot for a second year guy on a tanking team right now. there's guys playing worse than him, but he should be a lot better than he is. the only thing he seems to have worked on is playing the box score. he's gotta box out not poach rebounds. he's gotta drive to create and keep pressure on defenses, not just score (and dunk more than score...). he's gotta stay on the class and get offensive rebounds.

bridges is doing it to himself too. he's losing his minutes, no one is taking them from him.
-Ian- wrote:
LofJ wrote:Borrego can't coach defense. It's a problem that needs to be addressed this summer.

Maybe we can bring in Thibs next season? I know Triano is the associate head coach so I wonder if he's keen on the idea of passing that title to Thibs.

god no. its okay to lose when you suck. last thing we need is thibs to come in and alienate everyone who ever played, trade away all our talent, and run anyone left into the dirt.

minnesota still hasn't washed off his stink yet...
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,219

Post#71 » by amcoolio » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:32 pm

I would see if Indiana is interested in Miles + Marvin for Myles Turner since Indy clearly needs forwards and has 3 centers
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#72 » by BigSlam » Wed Dec 4, 2019 2:13 pm

DY_nasty wrote:nah, he's constantly lost dude. he plays for the box score too. the only reason marv plays is because bridges can't be counted on to guard anyone with SF/PF size inside and the main reason Batum got extended minutes the past week is because Bridges can't stop penetration from guards either.

Then why, game after game, is JB having him guard the opposing teams best offensive player - 1 through 4?

I don't think that he should be asked to be guarding guards or to be the key point at stopping penetration - unless he is told to work on his body and become lighter/quicker.

Why would JB be saying during the offseason that he is a PF then have him guarding point guards and offensive SG's?

Seems like he is being put in a position to fail on defense to me.
B B M F 'ers
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#73 » by Diop » Wed Dec 4, 2019 2:23 pm

BigSlam wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:nah, he's constantly lost dude. he plays for the box score too. the only reason marv plays is because bridges can't be counted on to guard anyone with SF/PF size inside and the main reason Batum got extended minutes the past week is because Bridges can't stop penetration from guards either.

Then why, game after game, is JB having him guard the opposing teams best offensive player - 1 through 4?

I don't think that he should be asked to be guarding guards or to be the key point at stopping penetration - unless he is told to work on his body and become lighter/quicker.

Why would JB be saying during the offseason that he is a PF then have him guarding point guards and offensive SG's?

My guess is that he’s a better man defender than a team defender, so put him on the best player, sticking to one player helps hide his poor awareness of team defence
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#74 » by BigSlam » Wed Dec 4, 2019 3:51 pm

Diop wrote:
BigSlam wrote:

My guess is that he’s a better man defender than a team defender, so put him on the best player, sticking to one player helps hide his poor awareness of team defence

I'd say the entire team blows when it comes to team defense - not just Bridges.

How many backdoor and baseline cuts do we give up, regardless of who is guarding the corner?

So is it a player thing, or a scheme/coaching thing?
B B M F 'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#75 » by DY_nasty » Wed Dec 4, 2019 5:17 pm

BigSlam wrote:

what?

Batum was guarding Rose purely because Bridges kept getting massacred off the bounce. Bridges gets put on the best player because they want him on the court - and because if he's offball he's free food for everyone. If he's not guarding the highest usage guy, then he's probably somewhere getting cooked. He can't even switch like Borrego wants either. It happened again versus the Suns.

The fact that his on ball defense isn't even that good makes it really, really hard to play him. He's running into the same problems as Monk but thankfully he's got enough size to help inside...

not trying to be a dick but miles can only guard competent 1-4s *on paper*
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#76 » by BigSlam » Wed Dec 4, 2019 5:35 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
BigSlam wrote:

what?

Batum was guarding Rose purely because Bridges kept getting massacred off the bounce. Bridges gets put on the best player because they want him on the court - and because if he's offball he's free food for everyone. If he's not guarding the highest usage guy, then he's probably somewhere getting cooked. He can't even switch like Borrego wants either. It happened again versus the Suns.

The fact that his on ball defense isn't even that good makes it really, really hard to play him. He's running into the same problems as Monk but thankfully he's got enough size to help inside...

I dunno man - The fact that Bridges is even being asked to guard a player like Rose is just nuts. That's my point.

He has never been touted as a lock down defender - so why have him try and guard a dude who is half his size and twice as quick? That just makes no sense to me - just like calling him out for bad defense on someone like Rose makes no sense to me because what chance does he have in the 1st place?

Why isn't Rozier guarding a guy like Rose?

Why isn't Thing #1 used more to lock up players?

Why is a guy who the HC said in the presason he sees as a PF being tasked with guarding small, quick guards?
B B M F 'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#77 » by DY_nasty » Wed Dec 4, 2019 8:59 pm

Thing #1 just showed up and there's a ton of guys waiting in line ahead of him. I love Cody.

But we drafted Bridges partly because of his defensive potential and versatility. He's gotta show us is all. Its not just Rose, its basically anyone on the perimeter. He's got good moments here and there but the point of this season is for our guys to show us consistency and that they're worth the commitment. Bacon's lost it. Monk is on the fence. Graham has gone above and beyond. Bridges isn't exempt from hard looks imo

Rozier is just fouls waiting to happen lol I have zero faith in him. If he's good he's good but he's basically going to be figuring it out here until February at this rate... I don't feel any particular way towards Terry because he's not a long-term thing.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#78 » by Diop » Wed Dec 4, 2019 11:01 pm

BigSlam wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:
BigSlam wrote:Then why, game after game, is JB having him guard the opposing teams best offensive player - 1 through 4?

what?

I dunno man - The fact that Bridges is even being asked to guard a player like Rose is just nuts. That's my point.

He has never been touted as a lock down defender - so why have him try and guard a dude who is half his size and twice as quick? That just makes no sense to me - just like calling him out for bad defense on someone like Rose makes no sense to me because what chance does he have in the 1st place?

Why isn't Rozier guarding a guy like Rose?

Why isn't Thing #1 used more to lock up players?

Why is a guy who the HC said in the presason he sees as a PF being tasked with guarding small, quick guards?

maybe they are trying to develop him? i could appreciate that.

Return to Charlotte Hornets