2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#221 » by jambalaya » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:44 pm

It is year one for Shai but does it count as rebuilding with him being a SG scorer? Really it is year2 for him. Another than higher minutes and usage, he is generally about the same as last year.

Does anything with Ferguson count as rebuilding or it worthless time filler? He is a starter but is he a starter or even a sub in 2 years? Are Diallo and Baxley more likely in training to be near or long term starters, better subs or just temporary space fillers? Our answers might vary and might vary with Presti's.

If this year does not count as rebuilding then the count to rebuilt / contention looks even more like 5-7 years.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#222 » by Old Man Game » Tue Dec 3, 2019 2:41 am

The team's constant invoking of the 1995 bombing under the auspices of 'remembrance' and 'memorial' is nothing more than exploiting a tragedy for commercial purpose. I would like them to dial this back if not drop it all together.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#223 » by Dn4sty » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:09 am

Old Man Game wrote:The team's constant invoking of the 1995 bombing under the auspices of 'remembrance' and 'memorial' is nothing more than exploiting a tragedy for commercial purpose. I would like them to dial this back if not drop it all together.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Genuine question...Are you from the state of Oklahoma
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#224 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Dec 3, 2019 10:26 am

Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
acheema0
Sophomore
And1: 104

Post#225 » by acheema0 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:21 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Not an encouraging sign re: him stepping on the court in a Thunder uniform again
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#226 » by Pillendreher » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:31 pm

acheema0 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Not an encouraging sign re: him stepping on the court in a Thunder uniform again

He'll be ready for training cap next season. Lock it in.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#227 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Dec 3, 2019 8:17 pm

Thunder coach Billy Donovan said the timing of Roberson's decision to move for his rehab wasn't related to a setback or another operation. Donovan said his players have "great trust" in the Thunder medical staff, but that its "normal protocol" for a player to seek a second opinion regarding injuries.

"He can't get himself back to play, and he just wants to try some other avenues to try to get himself back to play," Donovan said. "He's gotten to a point, and he can't get past that point."

RELATED TO THIS STORY
Video: Why Thunder ranks last in NBA in offensive rebounding
Donovan was asked what that "point" is.

"He's got pain, he's got discomfort," Donovan said. "He just doesn't feel like he can go out there and play.

"This guy's never ever ducked pain. He's got a very, very high tolerance for pain. So for him to say he's at where he's at right now, clearly there's no doubt in my mind, he's at a place where he just can't play."

https://oklahoman.com/article/5648853/thunder-andre-roberson-to-continue-rehab-away-from-team
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,052

Post#228 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:50 pm

What do you all think about Bazley? I've been really impressed with his vision/passing, corner 3, and first step. He looks like Ferg did when he came in, very raw but super talented. Presti plucking the guys that play overseas has turned out pretty well so far imo.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#229 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Dec 3, 2019 10:18 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:What do you all think about Bazley? I've been really impressed with his vision/passing, corner 3, and first step. He looks like Ferg did when he came in, very raw but super talented. Presti plucking the guys that play overseas has turned out pretty well so far imo.

I like him pretty well. He seems more raw than Ferguson, in my opinion. Better shooter than expected. I like his chances or being a solid player. Hopefully he can out on some significant strength the next couple of years.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#230 » by Old Man Game » Wed Dec 4, 2019 3:00 pm

Dn4sty wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:The team's constant invoking of the 1995 bombing under the auspices of 'remembrance' and 'memorial' is nothing more than exploiting a tragedy for commercial purpose. I would like them to dial this back if not drop it all together.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Yes. If the question you're getting at is do you remember what it was like in the State of Oklahoma when the bombing happened, the answer to that question is yes as well.
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#231 » by Dn4sty » Wed Dec 4, 2019 9:23 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Yes. If the question you're getting at is do you remember what it was like in the State of Oklahoma when the bombing happened, the answer to that question is yes as well.

I’m not upset at you or anything for your comment, I was just genuinely curious if your perspective was from inside the state or outside the state.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,498

Post#232 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Dec 4, 2019 9:35 pm

I don't like them doing it, but I understand why they do it. I felt the blast and was downtown in the mess that night. I have no desire to be reminded of it when I'm watching a sporting event.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#233 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Dec 4, 2019 9:58 pm

https://theundefeated.com/features/chris-paul-ok-in-oklahoma-city-after-being-shocked-by-rockets-trade-i-love-to-hoop/

“My initial reaction?” Paul said with a laugh. “I was shocked. Truth be told, I just talked to Daryl a couple days before the trade and he said he wasn’t going to trade me [to Oklahoma City]. That’s funny because that is going to be the alert that pops up on everybody’s phone because nobody knows that. But what the hell, I just said it.”

“He has been great. He’s like a big brother,” Gilgeous-Alexander said. “He is teaching me things every day. Always talking and trying to help.”

Paul is learning too.

“We have a great group of guys. I smile a lot. I laugh a lot. As much as everyone talks about me being an older veteran, I get a chance to learn a lot, too. It’s been cool.”
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,024

Post#234 » by slick_watts » Thu Dec 5, 2019 2:07 pm

i'm going to guess that there will be an airing of grievances from andre roberson's camp at some point, after the thunder complete a buyout with him or when he is a free agent. you don't just skip town to do rehab somewhere else for no reason. that's a barb. this is shaping into the worst case kelenna azubuike situation right now. kelenna still takes every opportunity to blame his rehab and the team for his setbacks and career being derailed.

shai has really come down to earth hard. his FTr and 3PAr are both disappointing after a solid push early in the season. hopefully he can right that ship.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#235 » by jambalaya » Thu Dec 5, 2019 11:39 pm

Right now SGA is estimated as a well below average, negative impact player on boxscore metrics and RAPM. His efg% and assist rate are both down notably from last season.
CROklahoma
Junior
And1: 130

Post#236 » by CROklahoma » Fri Dec 6, 2019 1:01 pm

Hello Billy my old friend ...
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,024

Post#237 » by slick_watts » Fri Dec 6, 2019 1:53 pm

update:

paul / sga / gallo on without ferguson = +15.4pp100
paul / sga / gallo on with ferguson = -10.29pp100
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#238 » by jambalaya » Fri Dec 6, 2019 2:35 pm

Of Ferguson's 10 most used pairs, only one is more than slightly above neutral on raw plus minus. 10 most used trios are all negative. Average for all time this season, -6 pts / 100 possessions. The only Thunder players with worse average team results on court are Nader, Noel and Patton.

On luck adjusted RAPM estimate Ferguson is moderately negative. 10th best on team, 306th in league. He is more 9-11th man than a starter.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#239 » by Andre Roberstan » Fri Dec 6, 2019 4:00 pm

slick_watts wrote:i'm going to guess that there will be an airing of grievances from andre roberson's camp at some point, after the thunder complete a buyout with him or when he is a free agent. you don't just skip town to do rehab somewhere else for no reason. that's a barb. this is shaping into the worst case kelenna azubuike situation right now. kelenna still takes every opportunity to blame his rehab and the team for his setbacks and career being derailed.

shai has really come down to earth hard. his FTr and 3PAr are both disappointing after a solid push early in the season. hopefully he can right that ship.

You're the second or third person to bring up Kelenna—FNQ and Sam Esfandiari both mentioned him to me in the Roberson context.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#240 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Dec 6, 2019 9:22 pm

Read on Twitter

Sam's made some comments that were interesting that every team is pulled to the middle, the best and the worst and that's what is trying to be avoided. I'm paraphrasing but my take is that the .001% chance that Sam wasn't going to try to compete this year just got squashed.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder