Moderator: G R E Y

-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

GAME DAY #22: ROCKETS @ SPURS, 3 Dec 19, 730PM Central 

Post#1 » by -Sammy- » Tue Dec 3, 2019 3:13 pm

THE SPOT: AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX
TV: FOX Sports SW (Spurs broadcast team), AT&T SportsNet (Rox broadcast team)
VEGAS ODDS: O/U 226.5, Houston -2.5

INJURY REPORT: For Houston, Clint Capela (illness) is expected to play
For San Antonio, LaMarcus Aldridge (thigh) is questionable; Chimezie Metu (foot) is out

Our first look at out Interstate-10 rivals holds great potential to build on the confidence we gained by upsetting the Clips (pretending that nightmare against Detroit didn't happen would help, too), but it may be a tall order, with LMA still nursing a thigh injury.

I don't know what can be said about James Harden that hasn't already, but it'll be interesting to see what backcourt rotations Pop throws at him to try to hold him under his ridiculous league-leading 39ppg.

We need this one! GO SPURS!

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,436

Re: GAME DAY #22: ROCKETS @ SPURS, 3 Dec 19, 730PM Central 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Tue Dec 3, 2019 6:26 pm

After participating in the shootaround, LMA has been taken out of tonight's game. that I'm fine with it because we're 0-2 without him in the line-up over the past two seasons per Jeff McDonald, but better to rest him now to have him all the more healthy and ready for more future games.

Mezie is on G-League assignment per JMcD.

It's always about how we respond to the next one, so I'm looking forward to a bounce-back game at least in terms of our effort and focus. I hope Pop starts sending a sit-and-watch message to guys who don't execute defensively as we're at that time now. It may not happen in this particular game, but we only have 12 games this month - seven at home, five away, nicely spaced out - and will have our first two-day rest since late October. This will give us more time to rest, reset, and practice.

You know who played really well versus Harden in particular in our pre-season game? One Lonnie Walker IV.

May our defense and shooting step up. While the goal is to generate O from D as we did a couple of games ago, it's still a work in progress, so here's to our shooting well throughout the game to create energy on both ends.

GO SPURS GO!!!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#3 » by ducler » Tue Dec 3, 2019 8:16 pm

Read on Twitter
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Wed Dec 4, 2019 1:45 am

One missed D rotation for an open dunk, one timeout by Pop. Good.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Wed Dec 4, 2019 1:58 am

LONNIE IN AT 4:53 OF THE 1ST!

Jesus look at his athleticism!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Wed Dec 4, 2019 2:09 am

Young guys - DJ, Patty (young at heart), Lonnie, Trey, Drew in bringing the hustle and energy and have fueled the comeback!!!

I love watching this version of us play!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Wed Dec 4, 2019 2:53 am

I know Lonnie hasn't scored, but thank God he is playing and Beli is sitting this one out (so far). Lonnie's shot and finishes are a bit too 'live' right now, just too much juice, but he's disruptive on defense, driving and others get his O rebound putbacks, and making quick decisions. Again, that athleticism...

If we could just get some productive O from Jakob he'd be a terrifically balanced C for us. His pop-a-shot in the key is hit or miss, and has to get more consistent. I know he practices these, there's video of it, but game situations are different. Amazing defense.

Limit their O rebounds and their 3s, and make more of our own.

Keep up the hustle!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#8 » by -Sammy- » Wed Dec 4, 2019 4:36 am

I'm SO glad I was able to watch the 4th and the two OTs. That was as gut-it-out as gut-it-out wins get.

GREY, your boy really came through big for us tonight. He certainly didn't look like he needed a WALKER out there...

...Ha ha ha...

...ha.

Sorry.

Go Spurs!
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Wed Dec 4, 2019 4:40 am

YYYYYYYYYYEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! **** HELL, FINALLY! GUTS GUTS GUTS!!!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#10 » by imagump1313 » Wed Dec 4, 2019 5:21 am

That was a fun game to watch. Something we build on hopefully. Poetl finally playing aggressively helps big time.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,623

Post#11 » by Baphomet » Wed Dec 4, 2019 5:28 am

Man that felt good, to overcome the deficit and pull out the win like that. Where do you even start with that? I feel like Lonnie has been threatening a game like this for a while, the positive signs have been there and now he's earning the minutes to showcase his talents. I almost threw my laptop against the wall in a frenzy of excitement when he hit that deep bomb to tie it up. Amazing versatility on display, this kid can really do it all. That kind of intensity is exactly what this team needs to awaken it during those sporadic slumbering moments we've experienced a lot this season, where the energy slows to a glacial pace.

Big credit to Bryn and Yak as well, the former for hitting some big time shots too and I feel like Yak was so defensively solid all game. Buzzing for these young guys. Now I need to get up to work in 4 hours. Go Spurs go!
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#12 » by G R E Y » Wed Dec 4, 2019 8:09 am

I can't gather my thoughts even right now. I will try tomorrow. Until then, please excuse the tweet parade, gump!

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,470

Post#13 » by Ballings7 » Thu Dec 5, 2019 12:29 am

Awesome team win... Lonnie was amazing, and needs to STAY in the rotation. I don't wanna see him playing just garbage time for a week in a half, in like 2-3 weeks. Keep him going, let him grow. The team needs it. Badly. It'll pay off later.

Then do the same for Keldon later on. No exaggeration. Belinelli should switch roles with Lonnie in the least, be a spot guy for staying ready when maybe some extra spacing is needed or foul trouble, etc. He just isn't really there so far.

Poetl was wonderful... probably keep him the primary starting C/other big, like last year.

Glad to see Forbes get out of his funk

Don't care about Houston's crap with the dunk... gave up 135 pts and were up 12 at the time, and going to the line like it was granted on a silver platter. Have fun getting exposed in the playoffs again.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,078

Post#14 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Dec 5, 2019 2:54 am

The missed dunk call and Spur's eventual comeback has been a hot topic. I've shared most of my thoughts in the General Thread, but for here, I want to keep my thoughts squarely on the game.

One of the lessons I picked up in watching Clipper games since the 2012 lockout season is to learn to take your opponents and overall competition seriously. The Spurs are currently listed as a lottery team by virtue of being under .500. If you're an elite team, one of the top three seeds in your conference, stocking up wins over lottery teams is your responsibility. The way the game went for the Rockets made me believe they were doing just that... until the whiplash dunk by Harden happened. That's when inferno broke loose.

What I admire a lot about the Spurs is that nothing ever rattles them. With his military background in the Air Force, Gregg Popovich keeps his players in tip top shape, physically and mentally, like soldiers in the front line. They only concentrate on their game plan, doing the same little things over and over and over again until their opponents break mentally. Sometimes, those mental collapses happen by themselves, such as the case with the Rockets feeling robbed over a missed dunk. That little incident clouded the minds of Mike D'Antoni and his players throughout the game. Pop and his players never noticed the mental collapse - maybe they've gotten a glance, but they never gave that distraction the spotlight it deserved - the Spurs just stayed true to themselves, working within the system, sticking to the plan. Doing the same things repeatedly and then having unexpected results play to your favor is not insanity, it's classic psychology. The Spurs are doing Tim Duncan's philosophy proud: don't overwork yourself to beat a difficult opponent, for sooner or later, your opponents will end up doing that work for you.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#15 » by G R E Y » Fri Dec 6, 2019 10:10 am

So this was my new favourite win up to this point, and hopefully soon it will so remain. I believe we earned this win. That's all I'm saying about it here.

We showed good signs early of being locked in. We made a concerted effort to drive - DeMar, Rudy, and Dejounte stood out - as well as to pass inside to Jakob - always good signs. We missed a rotation and overloaded on one side that allowed a wide open dunk - Pop timeout. Hustle and accountability.

I loved that Pop went with Lonnie early in the first and kept going to him even if he hadn't scored and turned it over in the first half. He along with our young group of Dejounte, Patty, Trey, and Drew came in when we were down 8 and played through mistakes but provided terrific energy to outscore the opposing bench 14-0. A lot of our misses were back-or-rim which tends to indicate some pent up energy (front of rim misses, the opposite). But this was propelled by solid D as we deflected passes, contested 3s, dove for loose balls, and stepped in to take charges with Patty leading by sacrificing his body on their O fouls. Flat out effort and energy.

We moved the ball well, ran back in transition D, as well as executed D to O transition very well this game. Thirty-five assists, 10 steals, and 8 blocks were indicative of our execution on both ends. Resilience and movement were key.

As far as things to work on, for some reason the third quarter is giving us fits. We tend to make too many mistakes and the turnovers (20 in total) are part of what cause big deficits. We get behind and use energy catching up which at times meant we haven't had enough to finish games strong.

Also, we keep giving up second chances (and sometimes more) because we don't secure D boards (they had a 60-56 edge, but 18-12 on O boards). And my big pet peeve - missed bunnies - reared its head again on layups, baby Js in the key, and putback attempts. Fundamentals. Speaking of fundamentals, we made only 22-33 FTs so the focus at the line needs to be sharper. We did so well to create those chances; best to reward ourselves for them.

To our credit, we cut their 22-point lead down to 16 by connecting on our 3s at a decent rate (made 13 - five in the fourth Q - on above our average 30 attempts) and working hard to get points in the paint (66-44 for us, particularly strong in the second and fourth Qs) and working on D breaking down alley oop attempts, getting steals, and contesting well. It would have been 14 down by the end of the third Q, but they once again scored on their final shot (this was the over-and-back that wasn't called). End of Q protection was not our strong suit in the middle Qs, but we more than made up for it in the crucial late stages of the game.

As far as strategy, Sean talked about how we were disciplined in running out and contesting 3s on the side so as to make sure we wouldn't foul. I also noticed that we made a concerted effort for our bigs to try and get blocks from behind. Bryn was guarding Westbrook who posted him up and his physicality prevented a quick penetration which allowed Rudy to slide down and perfectly time a block; Jakob kept rolling back after drivers and and blocking shot after shot, none more crucial than the game saving one. Really good, smart awareness and execution.

Jakob is emerging as our primary defensive anchor, and his 15 rebounds (5 on O) set a new career high, to go along with his career-high tying 5 blocks and 5 assists. He holds on to the ball really well on D, and has keen awareness to make quick decisions with the ball like that block and down court pass to DeMar for a dunk. Holding the ball on O is a work in progress for him; at times it's like he's not really confident enough to own his O, hold on to the ball, and assert himself on that end. His shooting touch on those pop-a-shots in the key needs work, but his post up move looked really solid - great positioning and footwork and using his body to protect the ball as he laid it in off the glass. Fundamentals. I hope we find ways to use him more on O in addition to the dishes inside for the pop-a-shots. He is capable of doing more on O and I hope that just as he is owning his defensive presence, he grows on the other end as well. He has shown he can take a tongue lashing from Pop (like on one of the final plays I think in regulation when DeMar took too long and missed a contested J in part because he was waiting for Jakob to come and set a screen) and adjust really well, so the resilience and response are good signs.

Dejounte's defense was on point though he does need to work on not reaching in (frankly just about every defender does in this defensive assignment). His dishes inside to Jakob at times are too low making them harder to handle and Jakob then tends to rush his shots. DJ's handles do need to catch up to his lightning quick speed, and when they do, watch out. We had glimpses of how well he and Lonnie can look in transition together.

Derrick is smart, disciplined, and has great footwork and body balance to stay with drivers. I don't know how much that instinctual timing for great defense is nature / nurture, but like Jakob, Derrick is still more confident on the defensive end and asserts himself there more. He is really good at playing within himself on O, has a poise about him, but he does tend to have missed bunnies which is a pity because he is skilled at using his body to shield the ball to get to the basket just at times doesn't reward himself with the effort (oddly enough his off hand layups are consistent). He's being encouraged to take more 3s by coaches, but a more overall assertive O game will help take attention off teammates and keep defenses honest.

Full credit to DeMar for stepping in to take the charge at a crucial moment to seal the victory for us. Jakob said in the past he didn't see this side of his teammate, and if there was ever a time to assert it, that was it. It helped offset some of his tendencies late in games on O like holding on to the ball, taking outside shots or getting blocked on drives. It's nerve wracking because we know it's coming and know it's hit or miss, including FTs which, though he made 1-2 in the first attempts, to his credit he drove and got fouled again and made both - D and O plays late in the game was a team-wide effort.

One thing about DeMar is that he tends to adapt to the style around him, so when we were running in transition a lot more, he did his part and ran out to take passes, but also made quick passes ahead. I like him as a facilitator later in games more (team-high 9 assists), and feel he is less error prone in that role. Pop was encouraging our guys to pick up the pace and keep pushing down the court on O, so it's a big positive that this style of play is being stressed, but also a reminder that maybe guys are so used to a half-court style when DeMar has the ball in his hands they tend to not run as much.

In a way LMA's absence was a blessing in disguise because we had to move the ball more as that was the strength of the personnel who did play. With DeMar and LMA it's pick and pop, elbow Js, or left side post-ups. A bit more predictable, and it's what defenses prepare for more.

But with Lonnie in the line-up, we were suddenly a lot harder to predict and guard against. If there was an X-factor that swayed the result, it wasn't a missed call on a dunk but LWIV who took over with his deflections, steals, block, and rebounding on one end, and huge clutch 3s and fearless drives on the other. We were down 8 points with 1:15 left and he went on a 8-0 run to tie the game in regulation.

Much has been made of Lonnie's minutes, but this isn't the same player who was called out by Pop earlier in the season. This was the fully engaged version that didn't only try to rely on what he was already good at but showed that he could be relied on defensively even if his shot wasn't falling, that he would not coast on one end at times just because he knows he is so talented on the other. He was terrific off ball, ran to his spots, and knew just what to do with the ball, no hesitation. Pop said in a pre-game interview that he told Lonnie to start taking his minutes seriously now, and this was the best way to show that he is: from no points in the first half to being our leading scorer and single-handedly outscoring the opponent's entire bench. Holding Lonnie accountable and making him understand what it would take to get more minutes was the right call. What. A. Fierce. Response.

I now really understand why Pop doesn't play DeMarre too much. Solid enough defensively, but man does he ever do weird things like hold on to the ball dribbling away running who knows what, passing who knows where out of bounds, and driving into defenders for O fouls. It's like he has a totally different set of plays in his head while he's out there. Just bizarre. Still, in a game where every point counted, I appreciate his two FTs. Hopefully more practices this month will help him get on the same O page.

All our guys really hustled: Rudy kept driving and getting to the FT line, Patty took charges and had a bench-high 6 assists, Bryn was physical on D and his O game returned (team-high 5-6 from 3), Trey was a Swiss army stat knife and led the bench with 9 rebounds, Drew dove all over the place to get loose balls.

We rose to the occasion and above our errors and lesser tendencies to push through and gut out a win. And although it was a couple of central players who fueled it, really everyone fed off the energy and contributed. Good minutes management meant we had only two players over 40 minutes (compared to their five) so we trusted more of our guys to get it done. We responded to their big third Q with an even bigger fourth and carried that momentum on both ends through both OTs. At times we made it harder on ourselves than it needed to be with lost possessions, but we overcame those mental hurdles and stepped up in huge pressure situations. So proud of how we played, stayed together, and persevered. It's interesting how we looked the more spirited team as the game wore on. It's a heady experience, and a big boost for the team's confidence going forward. That's something nobody can take away, and is there for us to build on.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#16 » by G R E Y » Fri Dec 6, 2019 7:22 pm

Ballings7 wrote:Awesome team win... Lonnie was amazing, and needs to STAY in the rotation. I don't wanna see him playing just garbage time for a week in a half, in like 2-3 weeks. Keep him going, let him grow. The team needs it. Badly. It'll pay off later.

Then do the same for Keldon later on. No exaggeration. Belinelli should switch roles with Lonnie in the least, be a spot guy for staying ready when maybe some extra spacing is needed or foul trouble, etc. He just isn't really there so far.

Poetl was wonderful... probably keep him the primary starting C/other big, like last year.

Glad to see Forbes get out of his funk

Don't care about Houston's crap with the dunk... gave up 135 pts and were up 12 at the time, and going to the line like it was granted on a silver platter. Have fun getting exposed in the playoffs again.

Yeah I agree and I think we'll be seeing more consistent minutes for Lonnie from now on. In a pre-game interview Pop said he told Lonnie to start taking his minutes seriously now, and I think the main thing Lonnie has shown is consistent effort especially on defense. In a way a game like this one can set up unrealistic expectations, but he has all the tools to make an impact every time he's out there.

I like your enthusiasm about speaking Keldon's minutes into existence. He's doing so well in Austin and even hit a 3 last game.

As to that one call, well, here's at least one for us that, had it been called properly, would not have resulted in a basket for them:
Read on Twitter

Plus JH had his foot on the baseline line on which they ended up getting points but shouldn't have. Like they're all missed calls and all add up. Spurs shouldn't be punished for ref errors, especially on such a rare case as this. BY all means clarify what to do in future situations, but let's be clear: we earned that win. They made a 3 on their next shot so we were down I think 15 or 16. They were also up 8 points in the final 1:15. JH and RW combined to MISS 50 shots overall (that includes the two OTs, but still). FIFTY MISSED SHOTS!

It's not logical to just add that one basket for them and say they were ahead in regulation because it assumes everything else would have ended up the exact same way, and doesn't take into account 4 points for them that were the results of non-calls. It's not like they thought they were ahead those two points, either. Everyone knew the score. It's not like that one basket took all their momentum away as we had already cut a 22-point deficit down to 12 so we were well on our way (plus they increased their lead, and we chipped away at that, too). And the refs said they asked for a challenge beyond the 30-second window to do so (and I'm not sure that whatever the refs called was challengeable). Anyway, I hope the NBA does right by the spirit of the rules and doesn't engage this replay business as we did more than enough to earn the victory and the circumstances merit rules clarification, not game revision.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs