ImageImage

120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1301 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Dec 5, 2019 1:29 pm

remi_222 wrote:He also mentionned that nobody (from MJ to Borego) told him to change his style, added that everybody knpw in the NBA that he'll never be the 25pts/g type of player but someone who facilitates the game for other, things that doesnt pop up to your eyes when you watch the stat line.

So, this is objectively false in his overall time here in Charlotte. From the summer he was traded:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article25668130.html

"Clifford told Batum this trade will expand his role. He’s no longer playing with stars LaMarcus Aldridge and Damian Lillard, standing in the corner waiting to take a 3-pointer.

Clifford has major plans. He envisions the 6-foot-8 Batum, who will start at shooting guard, as a primary scoring option next season."

There were other examples about usage and such where Batum himself talked about scoring more here, but it's not really worth searching for them. I'll be charitable and guess that maybe nobody expected him to change this year.

To echo what DY_nasty said, my view is that pass first is fine. Pass only is not and that's pretty much were Batum seems to be these days.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Post#1302 » by Snidely FC » Thu Dec 5, 2019 2:38 pm

remi_222 wrote:Batum has now a french radio show. And yesterday the topic was abt contract in the NBA nowadays.
He was absolutely ok to talk abt his as an example, saying that when he signed it he was shocked by the amount, and then realized that 2-3yrs after the same type of contract would be signed by average player.
He also mentionned that nobody (from MJ to Borego) told him to change his style, added that everybody knpw in the NBA that he'll never be the 25pts/g type of player but someone who facilitates the game for other, things that doesnt pop up to your eyes when you watch the stat line.
More interesting for his and Hornets' future, he said that he wasnt sure what to decide for next yr :
- opt for the 27M and being able to use that money to finance all his projects aver here in France (he's co-owner of the best french bball club, ASVEL, own his former club as a kid, ...)
- opt out and decide de find a better challenge

I guess what would be your position about his dilema, but even if he doesnt score and translate a lot on the floor, dont you admit that as a facilitator he's the one that can change a change by his faculties to anticipate and pass the ball at the right person ?
Also admiting that it was always his principle defalut : always following the rules, and never has been "mean" enough to look for more.

no one has told him to adjust or adapt so he feels no need to do so?

he feels its acceptable to shuffle around the court throwing artistic passes like he's playing pickup at the Y?

just because he sees his role as facilitator he does not see any reason, not even the size of his contract, to expand his influence? maybe, like Marvin Williams, to inject some passionate leadership?

his attitude is more maddening than his game

I think you would be hard pressed to find a single Hornets fan who still wants him on the team; if he opts out there will be widespread celebration
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 630

Post#1303 » by remi_222 » Thu Dec 5, 2019 5:21 pm

Snidely FC wrote:
remi_222 wrote:Batum has now a french radio show. And yesterday the topic was abt contract in the NBA nowadays.
He was absolutely ok to talk abt his as an example, saying that when he signed it he was shocked by the amount, and then realized that 2-3yrs after the same type of contract would be signed by average player.
He also mentionned that nobody (from MJ to Borego) told him to change his style, added that everybody knpw in the NBA that he'll never be the 25pts/g type of player but someone who facilitates the game for other, things that doesnt pop up to your eyes when you watch the stat line.
More interesting for his and Hornets' future, he said that he wasnt sure what to decide for next yr :
- opt for the 27M and being able to use that money to finance all his projects aver here in France (he's co-owner of the best french bball club, ASVEL, own his former club as a kid, ...)
- opt out and decide de find a better challenge

I guess what would be your position about his dilema, but even if he doesnt score and translate a lot on the floor, dont you admit that as a facilitator he's the one that can change a change by his faculties to anticipate and pass the ball at the right person ?
Also admiting that it was always his principle defalut : always following the rules, and never has been "mean" enough to look for more.

no one has told him to adjust or adapt so he feels no need to do so?

he feels its acceptable to shuffle around the court throwing artistic passes like he's playing pickup at the Y?

just because he sees his role as facilitator he does not see any reason, not even the size of his contract, to expand his influence? maybe, like Marvin Williams, to inject some passionate leadership?

his attitude is more maddening than his game

I think you would be hard pressed to find a single Hornets fan who still wants him on the team; if he opts out there will be widespread celebration

The worst part of it is that he knows it, but doesnt seem like he wants to provok a change, kinda military mentality with authority with never crossing any rules by being the "facilitator", he forgot that to be better he had to push himself to another level and his Diaw type of IQ isnt enough anymore.
I really wish he gets smart in term of bball, and decide to opt out to get a better role somewhere else, where he will feel challenge by a team and mostly by himself
geraldwallace
Junior
And1: 271

Post#1304 » by geraldwallace » Thu Dec 5, 2019 5:36 pm

This is the biggest misconception about Nic, nobody asked him to be a 20ppg scorer.

All we wanted was for him to be the same 15 6,6 borderline all star, swiss army knife, glue guy Nic Batum from 2015 who played good defense. If he just did that nobody would really be bothered by the contract.

The reason he got that contract in the first place was because when he and Kemba were both playing at a high level it looked like the team was only one good scorer away from being a contending team. Which is why everyone was fine with slightly overpaying for Nic at the time. Then he completely fell off the cliff
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#1305 » by euphorbus » Thu Dec 5, 2019 10:00 pm

geraldwallace wrote:Then he completely fell off the Cliff.

As did the coach.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,109

Post#1306 » by SWedd523 » Thu Dec 5, 2019 11:07 pm

Nic "Laissez Faire" Batum
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Post#1307 » by Snidely FC » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Let's talk about that benching!

was Batum ill vs ATL, or his hand still bothering him? anyone know?

Was he benched out of displeasure by the coach? of course he deserved it, but it would be kind of a big deal by Borrego that should be lauded

Would like to know the story of Batum's benching (and even more would love to see it continue!)
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1308 » by BigSlam » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Snidely FC wrote:Let's talk about that benching!

was Batum ill vs ATL, or his hand still bothering him? anyone know?

Was he benched out of displeasure by the coach? of course he deserved it, but it would be kind of a big deal by Borrego that should be lauded

Would like to know the story of Batum's benching (and even more would love to see it continue!)

Holding him out to avoid injury so we can finalize the trade to Houston.

The Houston Rockets are targeting a wing player in the trade market, league sources told Shams Charania of The Athletic.

The team are willing to give up a future asset for a player who helps their roster right now.
B B M F 'ers
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#1309 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Mar 4, 2020 7:29 pm

Can someone summarize Bonnells article today regarding Batum
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#1310 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Mar 4, 2020 8:57 pm

In an exclusive Observer interview Tuesday, Batum offered an apology for not playing up to the level of his massive contract. He also said he was determined not to be an “a--hole” about the fact he never plays anymore. He praised the Charlotte Hornets for their reliance on youth in this losing season, even though it has come at his expense.

“This franchise has got a bright future,” Batum said, “but I don’t think I’ll be part of it.”

“I didn’t live up to expectations the last 2-3 years,” Batum said. “I understand that. I know that.”

Basically, he's frustrated at how things turned out personally, but he's determined to be a good teammate.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,561

Post#1311 » by fatlever » Wed Mar 4, 2020 10:25 pm

he's at least self aware
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1312 » by DY_nasty » Wed Mar 4, 2020 10:42 pm

fu*k em
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,235

Post#1313 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu Mar 5, 2020 1:25 am

Another mooch. I’d sit on my ass doing nothing but keeping polite for that money too.
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#1314 » by Rays Pompadour » Thu Mar 5, 2020 2:41 pm

Batum was basically a beneficiary of the summer of love. Can't blame the dude for taking the money.

Here's a good link: https://www.wbtv.com/2020/03/05/nic-batum-would-like-apologize-he-knows-hes-an-overpaid-hornets-cheerleader/

This is a clear case of a misjudgment on what a player was projected to do as opposed to his historical psychology. Batum was never an A-dog in Portland and the Hornets erred in thinking he would become one here in Charlotte. By the time the franchise figured that all out, it was too late.

The big question all parties face: what now?

Cheerleader? That's just stupid. I applaud Batum for taking this in stride and not being a jerk. I don't think the reason for his contrition is Prozac. But...come on Hornets. Not finding a solution for the Batum conundrum is malpractice. Buyout. Trade. Actually play the guy. Something. Mitch is a smart guy. Figure it out. Status quo does nobody any good.

Of course, that's fan talk. The facts are, Batum has no financial incentive to take a buyout. A trade is problematic at best because the money has to match and the return would likely either cause the Hornets to take on a longer contract or give up an asset, like a young player or decent draft pick. It's just better financially to let this contract ride out and swallow the PR issues. And Batum will simply be the league's highest paid cheerleader.

The best case for the franchise is to find a way for Batum to be useful. Injury can certainly force Batum back into the lineup, but that's circumstance dictating. Be fine with that. But if the Hornets can make a plan to make Batum a part of the development of the younger guys - mentor, bench-coach, whatever - that could be a solution. Or...they could ride Batum as he was built to be: a complimentary player with specific skills best used in a system. The Spurs approach that Borrego brought with him is just such a system.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1315 » by DY_nasty » Thu Mar 5, 2020 11:41 pm

i don't want batum around in any capacity

at all
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,235

Post#1316 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Mar 6, 2020 1:23 am

If he really cared so much he’d negotiate a reasonable buyout that would still afford a life of luxury to him and his descendants for generations to come. But we all know that isn’t happening.

Just seriously STFU Batum and collect your pay checks and take your option like we know you will. LMFAO that he hasn’t thought about or made a decision on taking his player option next year. What an absolute liar.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,139

Post#1317 » by Rich4114 » Fri Mar 6, 2020 2:36 am

I actually didn’t hold his contract against the organization considering what was going on that summer and what kind of season he and the team just had... until now. The type of things we will rarely get insight into as fans (a players personality type, drive, what motivates them, their character) are the type of things the organization should and does have insight into. Those are factors on how much you’re going to commit to a player. This interview alone tells me Batum is an extremely passive dude. He’s easily accepted this reality and wasn’t willing to do what it took to be his best. Shame on the organization for not sensing this before making him the highest paid Charlotte Hornet OF ALL TIME
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,201

Post#1318 » by amcoolio » Fri Mar 6, 2020 10:04 pm

He should opt out so he can go and be happier in France

There's a 1% chance that being happy back in France trumps the contract
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
tondi123
Starter
And1: 1,376

Post#1319 » by tondi123 » Fri Mar 6, 2020 11:15 pm

When will we ever learn not to give guys monster contracts based on what we hope they may be instead of what they clearly are. Has that ever worked out for us? Having said that, if Batum had managed to stay at the same level he was at when we paid him we could have probably moved him. Instead, he's decided to passively aggressively pout while on the floor and pat himself on the back for not cussing out the coaches while sitting on the bench. What a great guy.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1320 » by DY_nasty » Sat Mar 7, 2020 1:25 am

tondi123 wrote:When will we ever learn not to give guys monster contracts based on what we hope they may be instead of what they clearly are. Has that ever worked out for us? Having said that, if Batum had managed to stay at the same level he was at when we paid him we could have probably moved him. Instead, he's decided to passively aggressively pout while on the floor and pat himself on the back for not cussing out the coaches while sitting on the bench. What a great guy.

if batum had stayed at the level he was when he got the money i wouldn't even trip tbh. i doubt anyone would've

he's turned into one of the worst players in the league - that's the problem lol

Return to Charlotte Hornets