F
3%

Total votes: 75

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,780

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#521 » by Saberestar » Fri Dec 6, 2019 1:19 pm

Sugarless wrote:Through 16 games, Ricky is averaging 12.6 points, 8.7 assists and 1.8 TOs per game (an insane 4.8 AST/TO ratio). The list of players who've been able to average at least 12 points and 8 assists with less than 2 TOs in a season through history is... empty.

It's going to be extremely hard to keep his TOs under 2 per game, but man he's having a great season so far despite his injuries and the lack of a true C in so many games.

I am really comfortable when Ricky has the ball in his hands. You just knows that he is gonna take a good decision 99 out of 100 times.
He is in his absolute prime, mentally and physically.

And he reads so well where he needs to be on defense every single time. I mean... countless times I have watched him disrupting a play with his awareness on defense, anticipating the offensive set from the other team. He breaks plays for real.

I don't have any problem with him being our starting PG not only for the next couple of seasons...I really think that he can play at a high level until his mid thirties because he doesn't rely on athleticism.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,333

Post#522 » by bwgood77 » Fri Dec 6, 2019 2:00 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Sugarless wrote:Through 16 games, Ricky is averaging 12.6 points, 8.7 assists and 1.8 TOs per game (an insane 4.8 AST/TO ratio). The list of players who've been able to average at least 12 points and 8 assists with less than 2 TOs in a season through history is... empty.

It's going to be extremely hard to keep his TOs under 2 per game, but man he's having a great season so far despite his injuries and the lack of a true C in so many games.

I am really comfortable when Ricky has the ball in his hands. You just knows that he is gonna take a good decision 99 out of 100 times.

And he reads so well where he needs to be on defense every single time. I mean... countless times I have watched him disrupting a play with his awareness on defense, anticipating the offensive set from the other team. He breaks plays for real.

I don't have any problem with him being our starting PG not only for the next couple of seasons...I really think that he can play at a high level until his mid thirties because he doesn't rely on athleticism.

I feel so much better with the ball in his hands than with Oubre or Booker. I wouldn't mind keeping him depending on injuries and where we are at, but would probably keep a potential long term starting PG in development in addition to Jerome (and Okobo) who likely are not long term starters...try to pick up one in the draft. Even one that can play some 2. PG class deep. PF maybe more of a priority but I'd say BPA between two spots unless another pick seems obvious, but we really seem set at the other 3 spots for the foreseeable future.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#523 » by LesGrossman » Fri Dec 6, 2019 4:02 pm

I think he isnt 100% right now. He is shooting extremely flat atm, whcih wasnt the case before. Also isnt explosive at all on his penetrations or layups. He has a lingering hamstring thing that comes and goes and probably he is playing hobbled right now.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,119

Post#524 » by spanishninja » Fri Dec 6, 2019 5:22 pm

LesGrossman wrote:I think he isnt 100% right now. He is shooting extremely flat atm, whcih wasnt the case before. Also isnt explosive at all on his penetrations or layups. He has a lingering hamstring thing that comes and goes and probably he is playing hobbled right now.

I would say he is looking healthier than last week though. and the fact that a non-100% Richard just dropped 13 and 15 on just one turnover should be very scary.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,622

Post#525 » by Qwigglez » Fri Dec 6, 2019 5:29 pm

Still trash. Should have gone hard after Terry Rozier instead who fits our core group of players age a lot better.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#526 » by Qwigglez » Fri Dec 6, 2019 5:51 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

I feel so much better with the ball in his hands than with Oubre or Booker. I wouldn't mind keeping him depending on injuries and where we are at, but would probably keep a potential long term starting PG in development in addition to Jerome (and Okobo) who likely are not long term starters...try to pick up one in the draft. Even one that can play some 2. PG class deep. PF maybe more of a priority but I'd say BPA between two spots unless another pick seems obvious, but we really seem set at the other 3 spots for the foreseeable future.

No doubt. I'm not sure why Booker struggles so badly with crosscourt passes. He should just never make those but seems he makes them at least once or twice a game. And then with double teams he seems to struggle finding an open man. I feel his turnovers may go down slightly once Ayton comes back, but probably not that noticeable. Oubre seems to try and reward himself on offense whenever he makes a good play on defense, and typically what happens is he just negates whatever it is he did defensively.

As far as Jerome and Okobo, I'd say we all likely felt Dragic was never going to be a starter in his first two or three seasons in the league but he kept improving year after year and is still playing after 12 years in the league. Hard to see a similar timeline for Jerome or Okobo, but it could happen. Jerome seems a bit slow right now though. Okobo I wasn't really a fan of last year, but he's been playing fairly well to start this year, at least with limiting turnovers. He needs to improve his shooting for sure though, particularly for me, I think he needs to attack the basket more.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#527 » by cberry78 » Fri Dec 6, 2019 8:11 pm

Qwigglez wrote:

Still trash. Should have gone hard after Terry Rozier instead who fits our core group of players age a lot better.

"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#528 » by bwgood77 » Fri Dec 6, 2019 8:34 pm

cberry78 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:

Ricky's not that old, and I have hated on Rozier for years, even when half the forum wanted to trade for him.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#529 » by LukasBMW » Sat Dec 7, 2019 12:10 am

Ricky's job is to keep the ball moving for 2-3 years and get this young team to learn how to play.

But if we ever want to get past the 1st round of the playoffs, he will either need to take a summer off from Spain and learn how to shoot -OR- we will need to upgrade.

It's ridiculous his shot is SO bad.

We'll NEVER get past the 1st round with him as our starting point guard.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#530 » by Sugarless » Sat Dec 7, 2019 12:36 am

LukasBMW wrote:Ricky's job is to keep the ball moving for 2-3 years and get this young team to learn how to play.

But if we ever want to get past the 1st round of the playoffs, he will either need to take a summer off from Spain and learn how to shoot -OR- we will need to upgrade.

It's ridiculous his shot is SO bad.

We'll NEVER get past the 1st round with him as our starting point guard.

Funny, 'cause the Jazz did and he was their best player, and then everything went to hell when he got injured.

Just the same old tired and hollow narrative:

- While in Minnesota: you can't get to the playoffs with Ricky. Well, he got to Utah and he did.

- When he did have a bad game in Utah during the RS: you can't get past the first round with Ricky. Well, they did, he crushed Westbrook, and like I said he was their best player overall in the playoffs, both in his 1st and 2nd season there. The only guy to consistently show up against the Rockets last year, in fact, and the one to turn what was an ass whooping in the first couple of games into an extremely close duel that the Jazz ended up losing because they were historically bad on open 3s (despite generating a lot of them thanks in great part to Ricky), which was one of their main strengths.

- But you can't be a contender with him. Well, he's won and been an undeniable positive in every level and scenario he's played, so there's zero merit to that argument. Also the Suns won just 19 games last season and they have gone to the Finals twice in 50 years, so give me a break. There are people in every fanbase talking yearly about contending, and they don't seem to understand how difficult it is to get all the way to the end, and the type of players you need to do it. You need winners, and Rubio is a proven one.

PS: The Raptors just won the NBA title with Lowry shooting 42.5% from the floor and a decent but not great 36.9% from 3 in the Finals. He's also not nearly the floor general or the defender (anymore) that Rubio is. The Bucks could have made it as well (they were certainly contenders) despite Bledsoe shooting 41% and 23% for the entire playoffs. The Sixers could have been there as well if not for Kawhi's version of "The Shot", with Ben Simmons at PG.

There are many ways to win, and many ways to impact a basketball game at the elite level. Ricky knows a thing or two about that.
LukasBMW

Post#531 » by LukasBMW » Sat Dec 7, 2019 3:44 am

There is no excuse for an NBA player to have such a bad shot. Period.
LesGrossman
Head Coach

Post#532 » by LesGrossman » Sat Dec 7, 2019 6:35 am

LukasBMW wrote:There is no excuse for an NBA player to have such a bad shot. Period.

You're just a hater, man. All your posts, regardless of how good he played, always the same story. Sorry to call you out but i havent heard anything else. Its a very one dimensional view of the game to believe one has to be a great shooter to be a great player. Fortunately in real life Basketball is a lot more complex.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#533 » by Qwigglez » Sun Dec 8, 2019 12:03 am

I do appreciate how Monty has created a system that gives Rubio a lot more freedom. With the Jazz the last two years, Rubio was averaging about 5.5 assist per game, while this season he's averaging close to 9 assists to under 2 turnovers a game. Would think if we had Ayton all season, Rubio would be over 10 assist a game easily, and likely his shooting percentage to be above 40%. I think Rubio just needs to take most of his shots at the rim. He's also surprisingly shooting 45% from 10-16 ft, if that's sustainable then shoot from there also. :D
LukasBMW

Post#534 » by LukasBMW » Sun Dec 8, 2019 10:51 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
LukasBMW wrote:There is no excuse for an NBA player to have such a bad shot. Period.

You're just a hater, man. All your posts, regardless of how good he played, always the same story. Sorry to call you out but i havent heard anything else. Its a very one dimensional view of the game to believe one has to be a great shooter to be a great player. Fortunately in real life Basketball is a lot more complex.

I appreciate Rubio and I think he has been a good influence on our team. His leadership, passing, and creativity are great. But he's NOT an allstar. Additionally, while his impact HAS helped us win games, we're still not a .500 team with him.

Some of you think Rubio is a step below Nash and that just is not the case.

This league now is a shooters league. And the fact that Rubio can't shoot leaves us with a huge hole in our offense. ESPECIALLY in crunch time.

Finally, it really is absurd that a NBA player has a stroke from 3 that is so ugly. Shooting is one of the easiest things to correct. Hell, even Lonzo Ball changed his form and is finally kocking down shots. TJ Warren became an elite shooter in one summer.

If Rubio had dedicated one summer to improving his shot, maybe we would be an allstar...but he's not.
LesGrossman
Head Coach

Post#535 » by LesGrossman » Mon Dec 9, 2019 8:12 pm

LukasBMW wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:

I appreciate Rubio and I think he has been a good influence on our team. His leadership, passing, and creativity are great. But he's NOT an allstar. Additionally, while his impact HAS helped us win games, we're still not a .500 team with him.

This league now is a shooters league. And the fact that Rubio can't shoot leaves us with a huge hole in our offense. ESPECIALLY in crunch time.

Finally, it really is absurd that a NBA player has a stroke from 3 that is so ugly. Shooting is one of the easiest things to correct. Hell, even Lonzo Ball changed his form and is finally kocking down shots. TJ Warren became an elite shooter in one summer.

If Rubio had dedicated one summer to improving his shot, maybe we would be an allstar...but he's not.

Its a matter of opinion to judge how far Rubio is behind prime Nash. You have yours i have mine. I‘ve been following his play for many years and i know that he has the same „sixth sense“ Nash had in that he ALWAYS knows the positioning of everyone on the court. Many guys make fancy no-look passes but when seeing them in slow motion you usually see how they do it. Rubio will literally pass to someone he couldnt have possibly seen.

His shooting is obviously his achilles heel and i do not think it will become much better. He has spent many summers fixing his shot with several coaches, changed his form completely nad eventually reverted back. While his form is ugly as hell its not the reason he is missing; its mostly mental.

Then again his defense is is strongest asset and Nash had zero of it. On man and even more as helper he really disrupts the opponents offense more than any numbers can show. In that, he can be the difference maker and the guy who makes his team win, without the flash and bling. Maybe a bit like Draymond just with more IQ.

Finally,
This league now is a shooters league.

Is this straight out of the Mark Jackson book of meaningless platitudes? Could be found next to „its a make or miss league“. As i said before, the beauty of Basketball is the complexity which makes it that there is more than one way, one offense one defense one type of player that can succeed. Rubio surrounded with good shooters/role players is more than enough to win and he has proven it in the postseasson, both vs. Westbrook and vs. Harden.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Saberestar
RealGM

Post#536 » by Saberestar » Mon Dec 9, 2019 9:24 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
LukasBMW wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:You're just a hater, man. All your posts, regardless of how good he played, always the same story. Sorry to call you out but i havent heard anything else. Its a very one dimensional view of the game to believe one has to be a great shooter to be a great player. Fortunately in real life Basketball is a lot more complex.

Its a matter of opinion to judge how far Rubio is behind prime Nash. You have yours i have mine. I‘ve been following his play for many years and i know that he has the same „sixth sense“ Nash had in that he ALWAYS knows the positioning of everyone on the court. Many guys make fancy no-look passes but when seeing them in slow motion you usually see how they do it. Rubio will literally pass to someone he couldnt have possibly seen.

His shooting is obviously his achilles heel and i do not think it will become much better. He has spent many summers fixing his shot with several coaches, changed his form completely nad eventually reverted back. While his form is ugly as hell its not the reason he is missing; its mostly mental.

Then again his defense is is strongest asset and Nash had zero of it. On man and even more as helper he really disrupts the opponents offense more than any numbers can show. In that, he can be the difference maker and the guy who makes his team win, without the flash and bling. Maybe a bit like Draymond just with more IQ.

Finally,

Is this straight out of the Mark Jackson book of meaningless platitudes? Could be found next to „its a make or miss league“. As i said before, the beauty of Basketball is the complexity which makes it that there is more than one way, one offense one defense one type of player that can succeed. Rubio surrounded with good shooters/role players is more than enough to win and he has proven it in the postseasson, both vs. Westbrook and vs. Harden.

Sorry but Nash wasn't THAT bad on defense. He was always in good position and effort was there, but physically he could not stay in front of his man when defending great PGs. But he was one of the leaders in the entire league for a good amount of years at taking chargers...he was probably even better than Rubio in that regard, and Rubio is pretty good. Grant Hill and him were masters on that.

Reading your answer it looks like you want to say that Nash (+shooting) = Rubio (+defense). But NO WAY, I love Rubio but Nash is in another different universe. It's like comparing Scottie Pippen with Shane Battier, for example. And that's not a knock on Rubio or Battier.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#537 » by bwgood77 » Mon Dec 9, 2019 9:46 pm

Saberestar wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:
LukasBMW wrote:

Finally,

Sorry but Nash wasn't THAT bad on defense. He was always in good position and effort was there, but physically he could not stay in front of his man when defending great PGs. But he was one of the leaders in the entire league for a good amount of years at taking chargers...he was probably even better than Rubio in that regard, and Rubio is pretty good. Grant Hill and him were masters on that.

Reading your answer it looks like you want to say that Nash (+shooting) = Rubio (+defense). But NO WAY, I love Rubio but Nash is in another different universe. It's like comparing Scottie Pippen with Shane Battier, for example. And that's not a knock on Rubio or Battier.

I definitely don't think Nash was better at taking charges. Nash's best quality was his shooting. Unfortunately he didn't do more of it. He HAD to be guarded because of how good he was as a shooter and could always find the open man. Rubio is the better passer with better court vision.

Nash's big assist years came at the age of 30, when he got into D'Antoni's offense and they had an extremely fast pace. If you compare their assists per 100 possessions through the same age of 29, Rubio averages more.

It's funny you talk about offense vs defense though, because through that age, if you look at their BPM, they each had HUGE differences in OBPM and DBPM but the net BPM is exactly the same.

Rubio wins in VORP while Nash wins in Net Rtg.

http://bkref.com/tiny/ayuDn

Of course Nash't very best years were with Phx, so that doesn't include his Phx years. But of course Rubio comes to Phx about the same time in his career (a little earlier in fact) so perhaps his best years will be here too.

I doubt he will ever have the type of overall impact Nash had, and maybe not close, but through the same age he has about the same impact.

Nash had a far better supporting cast too (though this one is young....if Ayton can turn into Amare, Bridges can turn into Marion and Cam can turn into Joe Johnson) maybe things look a lot different.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,011

Post#538 » by sunsbg » Mon Dec 9, 2019 9:56 pm

LesGrossman wrote:Finally,

You'll be surprised how many people don't get this and think basketball has to be played only in a certain way.

Example from another sport - tennis. There are different types of surfaces that give a chance to different styles of play. The moment they decide to play on faster or slower surfaces only the sport will lose half of it's beauty and will be dominated by a certain type of players. Fortunately, they value traditions in tennis much more and will never go in NBA's direction.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#539 » by Saberestar » Mon Dec 9, 2019 10:25 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:Its a matter of opinion to judge how far Rubio is behind prime Nash. You have yours i have mine. I‘ve been following his play for many years and i know that he has the same „sixth sense“ Nash had in that he ALWAYS knows the positioning of everyone on the court. Many guys make fancy no-look passes but when seeing them in slow motion you usually see how they do it. Rubio will literally pass to someone he couldnt have possibly seen.

Finally,

I definitely don't think Nash was better at taking charges. Nash's best quality was his shooting. Unfortunately he didn't do more of it. He HAD to be guarded because of how good he was as a shooter and could always find the open man. Rubio is the better passer with better court vision.

Nash's big assist years came at the age of 30, when he got into D'Antoni's offense and they had an extremely fast pace. If you compare their assists per 100 possessions through the same age of 29, Rubio averages more.

It's funny you talk about offense vs defense though, because through that age, if you look at their BPM, they each had HUGE differences in OBPM and DBPM but the net BPM is exactly the same.

Of course Nash't very best years were with Phx, so that doesn't include his Phx years. But of course Rubio comes to Phx about the same time in his career (a little earlier in fact) so perhaps his best years will be here too.

I doubt he will ever have the type of overall impact Nash had, and maybe not close, but through the same age he has about the same impact.

Nash had a far better supporting cast too (though this one is young....if Ayton can turn into Amare, Bridges can turn into Marion and Cam can turn into Joe Johnson) maybe things look a lot different.

If Rubio explodes in the next future and he wins a couple of MVPs and goes around eight times to the All Star before his retirement THEN I will say that Rubio and Nash are in the same tier and have about the same impact as a players.

Until now I would consider a fair comparison to Rubio a PG like Andre Miller. I liked him a lot, smart and talented two-way player who was a bit underrated all his career.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#540 » by bwgood77 » Mon Dec 9, 2019 10:41 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Sorry but Nash wasn't THAT bad on defense. He was always in good position and effort was there, but physically he could not stay in front of his man when defending great PGs. But he was one of the leaders in the entire league for a good amount of years at taking chargers...he was probably even better than Rubio in that regard, and Rubio is pretty good. Grant Hill and him were masters on that.

If Rubio explodes in the next future and he wins a couple of MVPs and goes around eight times to the All Star before his retirement THEN I will say that Rubio and Nash are in the same tier and have about the same impact as a players.

Until now I would consider a fair comparison to Rubio a PG like Andre Miller. I liked him a lot, smart and talented two-way player who was a bit underrated all his career.

I know....I said Rubio has about the same overall impact Nash did before joining the Suns the second time. I don't expect Rubio to jump into prime Nash tier.

Return to Phoenix Suns