ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Fire Doc Rivers thread

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Yogatti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,194

Official Fire Doc Rivers thread 

Post#1 » by Yogatti » Sat Dec 7, 2019 3:44 am

Let’s get this going. Start a petition or something. Get rid of this **** joke of a coach.

This **** coaches with no sense of urgency.

Guys like Frank Vogel is coaching his ass off because he knows as soon as things go south Lebron is going get rid of him.

Doc Rivers sitting real comfortable in his chair knowing Steve Balmer won’t fire him no matter the outcome

Imagine this Clippers team with Budenholzer as the head coach
Method28
Junior
And1: 356

Re: Official Fire Doc Rivers thread 

Post#2 » by Method28 » Sat Dec 7, 2019 3:52 am

Is it 2015 again?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
All-Fav Team
PG: Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Ricky Rubio
SG: Marcus Thornton, Tony Allen
SF: Nick Batum, Luol Deng, Danillo Gallinari
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge, Blake Griffin
C: Demarcus Cousins, DeAndre Jordan
Cheerleader: Ryan Gomes
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,178

Post#3 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:03 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Doc should have been fired years ago after the Houston series. The way this team is underachieving so far looks exactly like Lob City, and it's exactly what I was afraid of with keeping Doc as coach. He has no system, no adjustments, and tons of excuses. At least he can't use the excuse that the team hasn't practiced together anymore. I'm sure he'll use the injury excuse, though, as if he won't still rely entirely on isoball and get outcoached in every third quarter with a fully healthy team.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,212

Post#4 » by Clemenza » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:03 am

We all know he's not going nowhere but like the OP said he's way too comfortable right now. He better get his head out of his azz and start really coaching this team and make adjustments when needed. I get a loss to a top team but not sh*t like what happened tonight. Team was not prepared at all with no gameplan whatsoever. Disgusting
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#5 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:16 am

Read on Twitter

No, Doc, we did not "gift" the Bucks this game. They earned the win because they played harder, actually ran plays, and Bud outcoached you. :roll:
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#6 » by NippySudz » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:17 am

I'm not going to overeact but I will say we need a playmaker. We cannot have PG and kawhi being playmakers in year 9 and 10 and expect to be successful.

Kawhi is not a playmaker. He's just not. I'm a huge kawhi fan. Trying to turn him into LeBron James is not going to get this team to win. Allow him to do what he does best. Work as a sg and allow him to work. That's the best version you'll
Get out of kawhi.

The front office has some work to do. I'm not going to say fire doc just yet. They don't have the personnel.

Jerome Robinson shouldn't be getting quality mins. He hasn't earned it.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#7 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:25 am

NippySudz wrote:They don't have the personnel.

I'm not denying the roster is flawed, we could really use a point guard, but come on. Doc has been here for three eras of the team and tons of roster turnover and the results have never changed. Still zero Western Conference Finals appearances, let alone rings.

Even with this roster's flaws, this team should look so much better than they do right now with two elite superstars like Kawhi and PG. The personnel is not a valid excuse for Doc's coaching.
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Post#8 » by Dynamix » Sat Dec 7, 2019 5:19 am

Don't know what this says about me, but the first thought I had after getting obliterated in the 3rd and finally accepting the loss was "man, Doc is going to get DESTROYED by a couple of people on the Clippers board". Wasn't quite expecting a separate thread, though.

Unless we lose like 10 straight or get bounced in the first with a fully healthy roster, Doc's not going anywhere. But we do have Lue ready to take the reins if necessary, which means we can sleep better while Thibs is available.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#9 » by TheNewEra » Sat Dec 7, 2019 5:45 am

Just let the season play out no trades and see if a buyout becomes available

No reason this team should not make it to the WCF at least
Method28
Junior
And1: 356

Post#10 » by Method28 » Sat Dec 7, 2019 6:51 am

Man wtf. We're gonna be THAT fanbase? People were just admitting they were wrong about Doc and he was a COTY candidate last season.....no this game and he's trash again? Geez people, get a grip, let it play out

All-Fav Team
PG: Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Ricky Rubio
SG: Marcus Thornton, Tony Allen
SF: Nick Batum, Luol Deng, Danillo Gallinari
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge, Blake Griffin
C: Demarcus Cousins, DeAndre Jordan
Cheerleader: Ryan Gomes
Goner
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#11 » by Goner » Sat Dec 7, 2019 11:23 am

The biggest issue I have with Doc this season is that he has taken a step back; way back. I don't know what happened to our pistol offense of last season, but this season we appear to be implementing an antiquated offense of the 90's and early 00's. The sole effort seems to be to pound the ball into the hands of our stars and hope that they can make something out of nothing. And, if they can, then, great! That is solid and replicable offense.

We cannot win anything with such a system, and I think this is self evident. What I will not do, however, is shovel dirt on Doc myself. I have seen what he can do when his back is to the wall (as evidenced last year), and hopefully his plans are to reinstate such (any) system.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#12 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Dec 7, 2019 3:44 pm

Method28 wrote:Man wtf. We're gonna be THAT fanbase? People were just admitting they were wrong about Doc and he was a COTY candidate last season.....no this game and he's trash again? Geez people, get a grip, let it play out

There's an obvious reason why Doc's best coaching job was last year. We had no superstars (and no Austin, for that matter) so Doc had no choice but to actually coach the team.

Having stars on the roster brings out all of Doc's bad habits. He gets really lazy and thinks he doesn't need to make adjustments or run an actual offense because the stars will just bail him out. This fails over and over again in playoff series and matchups against elite coaches, but he never changes his approach regardless.

Doc is a Marty Schottenheimer type of coach. He's the ideal coach for a rebuild. Other than Pop and Stevens, it's hard to think of anyone else more adept at getting the most out of rosters with limited talent and building a winning culture. However, he's the wrong coach for a win-now team with actual expectations. This year's roster needs a Budenholzer type of coach.
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Hire Who? Thread. 

Post#13 » by 50CalClips » Sat Dec 7, 2019 6:34 pm

And who do you hire?
Who's better?
Yogatti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,194

Post#14 » by Yogatti » Sat Dec 7, 2019 6:40 pm

Doc Rivers is one of the most overrated coaches in basketball history. Everyone talks about how Doc was a great coach since the arrival of Ray Allen and Garnett, but people forget to note how bad of a coach he was prior to having three mega stars. He had McGrady in Orlando, but never made it out of the first round. A lot of people, wrongly, put that fault on McGrady, but the dude was averaging 30 points, 7 boards and 6 assists a game. How much more could he have done? People also fault McGrady for the 3-1 series collapse against Detroit, but that should fall on Doc. How many coaches just sit there for three games straight and don't make any adjustments. Yeah, the Pistons started playing Tayshaun, but Doc had no idea how to make adjustments for that and ultimately lost them the series. Then Doc decides to go to Boston, and his first season he posts a 45-37 record. It's alright, but the weak Atlantic division makes it so they get the 3 seed. They end up losing to Indiana in 7, getting blown the **** out in game 7. If Doc was such a good coach there's no excuse why he lost game 7. The next year he goes 33-49, and 24-58 the year after that, including an eighteen game losing streak. Let's not forget that during these losing years Paul Pierce is playing the best basketball of his life, and Doc is essentially wasting them due to his inability to coach. And then in 07 he gets Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett, and they win the title. Come on, that team could have made the NBA finals without a coach. Garnett brought so much intensity on the defensive end, and Pierce and Allen carried the load offensively. That team essentially ran itself, but Doc just got the glory. Ever since then he's been coasting on the big three, and Thibs, until he left in 2010. The only thing I give Doc credit for is being smart enough to rest the Big three during the 09-10 season, so that they'd be fresh enough to make a postseason run, and eventually face the Lakers in the finals. Other than that, he's an average coach made better because of his players. Otherwise, he would have taken the Magic to the second round, or done something impactful before Garnett and Allen arrive. He won't take the Clippers to the finals or win them a championship. There are only a few elite coaches in the NBA, Pop, George Karl (Even if no one believes so), and Sloan. I guess Doc will have fun riding the Clippers to success even though he wouldn't really be adding anything to it.

Like someone else said, this dumbass doesn't know how to make adjustments. One of the worst coaches in the league.
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#15 » by Young Sterling » Sat Dec 7, 2019 7:58 pm

I don't think the issue is with Doc as much as just having a solid floor general who can maximize our open players. The problem I see is Doc sets everyone up in such a way where it's open shots galore, but Kawhi and PG have a difficulty finding those guys and often over iso (not saying iso is a bad thing, they need to do it but at a different pace). Lou gets all his assists off Trez usually. Even just having someone like George Hill and Eric Bledsoe, solid veteran defensive playmakers but not superstars, it allows a team like Bucks to utilize all of their open shooters and cutters perfectly. We have shooters and cutters galore but no point guard. If you watch the Laker games, Lebron's vision is like Cp3's, and the entire team gets utilized properly. He gets the whole team involved. He's literally able to pass out at will and sees the whole floor. Two things our stars can't do. That's fine, but we need someone who can. Kawh-iso is not a thing. Raptors had two floor generals. Jerome and Mann are too green right now.

We need Milos Teodosic. Not literally, but someone who is a natural playmaker who throws no look passes like curry shoots 3s. Just gonna leave this here though. This guy would fit in so well with our current squad..

Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,399

Post#16 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Dec 7, 2019 8:24 pm

Somebody on the GB posted a trade for cp3. If the clippers could somehow get him back without giving up Lou, Harrell, pg, or Leonard, you’d have to think about it. Maybe even include Lou if you have to as much as I like him
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,088

Post#17 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sat Dec 7, 2019 8:48 pm

Goner wrote:The biggest issue I have with Doc this season is that he has taken a step back; way back. I don't know what happened to our pistol offense of last season, but this season we appear to be implementing an antiquated offense of the 90's and early 00's. The sole effort seems to be to pound the ball into the hands of our stars and hope that they can make something out of nothing. And, if they can, then, great! That is solid and replicable offense.

It's part of that, but not quite it. What I think's going on is, Doc's obsessed over the starless Revenge Of The Role Players season. He had no superstars, just role players, scrubs, G-Leaguers, rookies, overseas guys and bench players. He fed off of their hunger and decided to play with all heart and hustle, no game plan, just do the best you can, be a good person, and let the miracles take care of the rest. He wants a fairy tale ending, an impossible that will never be accomplished like somebody scoring 100 PTS a la Wilt Chamberlain (with visual evidence), winning as an 8th seed, or coming back from a 3-0 playoff series deficit. With superstars like Leonard and George, he doesn't have to worry, let superstars do the saving. Isn't that previous sentence the very reason why Steve Ballmer brought in Jerry West in the first place?

Goner wrote:I have seen what he can do when his back is to the wall (as evidenced last year), and hopefully his plans are to reinstate such (any) system.

What would you call "back against the wall"? One of these three things would have to happen:

1. Being one game away from a 10-game losing streak. The last time Doc lost 10 in a row, he was fired immediately in Orlando. With the Clippers, he had a 9-game losing streak, and was one away from begin canned. What saved his job: beating the lottery team Hawks in 2017-18 season, Chris Paul's first year with Rockets after wanting out.

2. Getting swept: Throughout his entire career, teams coached by Doc Rivers have never been swept in the playoffs. In fact, in the 2012-13 season, his Celtics lost 3 in a row to the Knicks, constituting an automatic series victory. No team in NBA history has ever recovered from a 3-0 playoff series deficit, yet Doc was determined to have his storybook ending by being first coach to pull off the miracle feat. Given the Knicks history of incompetence under James Dolan, it's only fitting that Boston would upset New York, especially since Knicks were 2nd and Celtics 7th, but all that got thrown out of the window because of Celtics having Doc Rivers.

3. Malice At The Palace 2.0: Picture this: the Clippers have a horrid game, technical fouls pile up, they start drawing flagrant fouls. Pretty soon, some players are ejected. Then, one of the Clippers gets into a nasty brawl that brings back memories of the Knicks-Suns brawl of 1993. Game is called, Steve Ballmer is ashamed, admits to their past, and apologies for all the bad things they've done and concede to possibly forfeiting a whole season. They could have a case in saying Doc Rivers really didn't take his coaching job seriously, and decide to either can him now, or give him a "prove-it" moment, which circles back to the desire for a fairy tale ending. They might even deem that beating the Lakers in a playoff series will be a requirement to keeping his job.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,088

Post#18 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sat Dec 7, 2019 9:01 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:Somebody on the GB posted a trade for cp3. If the clippers could somehow get him back without giving up Lou, Harrell, pg, or Leonard, you’d have to think about it. Maybe even include Lou if you have to as much as I like him

Can you show me the link to where that post was made? I couldn't find it.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#19 » by esqtvd » Sat Dec 7, 2019 9:45 pm

Method28 wrote:Is it 2015 again?

For some people it's always 2015. :lol:
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Re: Hire Who? Thread.