ImageImageImage

The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

thomas1897
Junior
And1: 86

The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#1 » by thomas1897 » Sat Dec 7, 2019 2:58 pm

Daniel Theis should be recognized for his relentless effort each time he is on the court. Last night against Denver he played inspiring basketball against one of the best the Joker (Jokic). Jokic got 30 plus points but they were earned the hard way. Theis made it very difficult for the Joker. Again Daniel Theis demonstrates a tireless work ethic to get the job done fighting against the some of the best big men in the NBA please continue to support his efforts getting those offensive rebounds, playing good defense and providing the dirty work (corralling lose balls and the hustle plays you do not see on the stat sheets). So let's continue to see this effort more and if Brad Stevens is listening please give Daniel Theis some more touches on offense.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Re: The Silent Hero/Attribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#2 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Sat Dec 7, 2019 3:13 pm

He's been spectacular and has earned his spot.
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,728

Post#3 » by OldCeltics » Sat Dec 7, 2019 3:24 pm

Jokic has been a fat piece of **** this year, with mediocre play. Giving up 30 points to him, is bad defense.

Bottom line Theis cannot play against beefier bigs. Otherwise he's been solid.
strokerace
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,164

Post#4 » by strokerace » Sat Dec 7, 2019 3:38 pm

Theis is always in the right spot. His help defense is insane. If his offense picks up to at least what it was 2 years ago, we will be in business. He is no prime Marc Gasol, but for his salary he is pretty sweet.
AKFO
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,734

Post#5 » by AKFO » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:34 pm

I think his offense and defense are both better than they were two years ago. He's not quite as light as he was then, but his rim protection has been amazing. Every time he goes up for a shot in the restricted area with a man on him, I think to myself "why the hell are you shooting that?" and then he just dunks it on the defender's head every time. His ability to get off the ground quickly has been big.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#6 » by ParticleMan » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:48 pm

Theis has been great but the last game was a bad example. Jokic was chewing him up on the offensive glass until kanter came in and settled thing down. his big strength is his ability to show strong on the pick and roll, and be able to stay with little guards all the way to the rim. he's struggled against larger bigs.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,541

Post#7 » by Celts17Pride » Sat Dec 7, 2019 5:08 pm

Theis has had a very nice year. I’m fine with the Celtics three man center rotation of Theis, Kanter and RWIII. They all bring something different and it’s gives time to RWIII to develop.

Don’t fix what isn’t broken. Celtics #5 in the NBA on defense.
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#8 » by Big Joke Line » Sat Dec 7, 2019 5:09 pm

What do you attribute it to?
Hey Man, nice shot!
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,940

Post#9 » by darrendaye » Sat Dec 7, 2019 5:26 pm

strokerace wrote:Theis is always in the right spot. His help defense is insane. If his offense picks up to at least what it was 2 years ago, we will be in business. He is no prime Marc Gasol, but for his salary he is pretty sweet.

This. If he could regain his 3pt shot, I would be eager to see more Theis/Rob Williams pairings in the near future.

Glad someone had the initiative to make a Theis thread, he's always given great effort.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 10,926

Post#10 » by exculpatory » Sat Dec 7, 2019 5:33 pm

Good thread! Deserving.

“a tribute” to Daniel THE IS.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#11 » by GoGreen » Sat Dec 7, 2019 6:26 pm

Theis has been outstanding. Much kudos to how hard he's worked to put himself in this position.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#12 » by captain green » Sat Dec 7, 2019 8:47 pm

We all want time lord to be a mini capela but theis gets most the dunks and blocks all while being a power forward. His defense is dope. And where he is almost always undersized he don't quit. Missing baynes but he definitely brings the toughness
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,849

Post#13 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Dec 7, 2019 8:54 pm

Theismeister has that big dick energy going this season.

Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,273

Post#14 » by Marvel » Sat Dec 7, 2019 9:53 pm

Meh, prefer an upgrade. He has been solid though.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,210

Post#15 » by Parliament10 » Sat Dec 7, 2019 10:31 pm

darrendaye wrote:
strokerace wrote:Theis is always in the right spot. His help defense is insane. If his offense picks up to at least what it was 2 years ago, we will be in business. He is no prime Marc Gasol, but for his salary he is pretty sweet.

This. If he could regain his 3pt shot, I would be eager to see more Theis/Rob Williams pairings in the near future.

Glad someone had the initiative to make a Theis thread, he's always given great effort.

I'd love to see R.Williams at the C, and Theis at the PF.
Theis is a Gusty player.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Ascrilas
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,612

Post#16 » by Ascrilas » Sun Dec 8, 2019 2:20 am

Theis had an atrocious start to the season when it comes to shooting, and I think this has lowered his confidence. I've seen him standing open on the arc many times now, in previous years, he would've taken the shot.

That said, his TS% is up to league average now (it was like .400 after 10 games). He was at .616 and .624 in previous seasons and shot 38.8% from three on 2.7 3PA/36 last year (20.0% this year), so I expect this to normalize. Once his shot begins to fall, I hope he will be more confident and take open jumpers more frequently. It's a small thing, but would help us a little bit on offense.

About his defense, I think we all know what we he brings to the table. He looked soft sometimes last year, but now that he has fully recovered from his injury, he provides grit and toughness. We know he will be abused by beefy big men, but apart from that, I think he is just outstanding. His BBIQ is really high, his rotations are always on point, and with his mobility, this makes one hell of a help defender.

Are there possible upgrades out there? Sure, but there aren't that many of them, and there surely aren't many of them on 5 million a year. Geting a legit NBA starter on a 10/2 contract is great business, kudos to Danny.

There is only one big thing about Theis Theis Baby I would like him to change: Bring back the Slim Shady hair!
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#17 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Dec 8, 2019 7:30 am

Celts17Pride wrote:Theis has had a very nice year. I’m fine with the Celtics three man center rotation of Theis, Kanter and RWIII. They all bring something different and it’s gives time to RWIII to develop.

Don’t fix what isn’t broken. Celtics #5 in the NBA on defense.

This is still my position, too. The only thing we don’t have is an Embiid-stopper, but how many teams do? I’m not worried about him bodying up Kanter, I’m worried about him taking him off the dribble.

Enes, to his credit, is working out well so far, much better than David Lee or Greg Monroe did for us, who both have similar limitations. Hoping he keeps improving defensively - it could turn around his career.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#18 » by Wes-J » Sun Dec 8, 2019 7:58 am

Theis has played above expectation but I'd still like to see an upgrade considering the teams we're gonna have to deal with in the playoffs.

I love him as a backup.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,441

Post#19 » by SichtingLives » Sun Dec 8, 2019 8:35 am

I was super high on Theis after his rookie campaign. His recovery was slow and rough last year and when he still looked a step slow in pre-season I resigned myself to "he is what he is". But he has returned to everything he was pre-injury and then some. We're asking him to play above his head as a starter but a healthy Theis as a BU center is as good as there is in the league. It's also not fair to judge him vs. legit 7 foot behemoths the guy might be 6'9" on a good day. Size matters in this league but he mans the position well.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#20 » by Big Joke Line » Sun Dec 8, 2019 11:30 am

Ascrilas wrote:Theis had an atrocious start to the season when it comes to shooting, and I think this has lowered his confidence. I've seen him standing open on the arc many times now, in previous years, he would've taken the shot.

That said, his TS% is up to league average now (it was like .400 after 10 games). He was at .616 and .624 in previous seasons and shot 38.8% from three on 2.7 3PA/36 last year (20.0% this year), so I expect this to normalize. Once his shot begins to fall, I hope he will be more confident and take open jumpers more frequently. It's a small thing, but would help us a little bit on offense.

About his defense, I think we all know what we he brings to the table. He looked soft sometimes last year, but now that he has fully recovered from his injury, he provides grit and toughness. We know he will be abused by beefy big men, but apart from that, I think he is just outstanding. His BBIQ is really high, his rotations are always on point, and with his mobility, this makes one hell of a help defender.

Are there possible upgrades out there? Sure, but there aren't that many of them, and there surely aren't many of them on 5 million a year. Geting a legit NBA starter on a 10/2 contract is great business, kudos to Danny.

There is only one big thing about Theis Theis Baby I would like him to change: Bring back the Slim Shady hair!

Ugh, you had a perfect game ruined by a shot at the buzzer. Gave you the and 1 anyway.
Hey Man, nice shot!

Return to Boston Celtics