How Quick Was LeBron at His Athletic Peak? How Quick Is He Now?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,759

Re: How Quick Was LeBron at His Athletic Peak? How Quick Is He Now? 

Post#41 » by KingDavid » Mon Dec 9, 2019 1:29 pm

LeBron was fast when he got going. Quickness though? Eh. Rose, Westbrook, plenty of other guards and wings were quicker. For a player his height, it's impressive because practically no one his size could do all of what he did athletically.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
MarcusBrody
Starter
And1: 3,761

Post#42 » by MarcusBrody » Mon Dec 9, 2019 2:52 pm

He was quick enough to step to prime MVP D Rose when it mattered and shut him down. Lebron has a career full of amazing athletic feats, but watching him take up that defensive assignment in the fourth quarter of their playoff games and smother Rose when he was at his quickest was the most I've ever been impressed with what he could do quickness wise.
salmonleg
Freshman
And1: 111

Post#43 » by salmonleg » Mon Dec 9, 2019 2:53 pm

The first time I saw him on the floor in Miami with Wade and Bosh I thought the three of them looked like a pack of f'ing velociraptors. So crazy fast, quick, powerful, I've been watching NBA since the early '70's and I'd never seen anything like it. Athletically they were fiercely intimidating...
Creativetran
Senior
And1: 281

Post#44 » by Creativetran » Mon Dec 9, 2019 3:00 pm

Optms wrote:You'll never see anything like peak Lebron in the open court ever again. Speed, power, grace. Nothing came close before or after. That was the biggest thing that jumped out to me when I saw him on the Cav's.

There will always be someone better and faster in the future, can't say NEVER.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,398

Post#45 » by Jaqua92 » Mon Dec 9, 2019 4:22 pm

Pantsman wrote:Lebron wasn’t the quickest. He was definitely quick but what has made him dominate was his speed+quickness+strength. There’s never been a player who’s been able to put all of that together the way he has.
This. There's probably an uncountable amount of players, both stars and scrubs who are DEFINITELY quicker and faster than peak LeBron. Ignore the people who think LeBron could have been an Olympic sprinter. He wouldn't even be a D2 sprinter, NVM Olympic.

The deal with LeBron is that no one his size moves that quick. No one that size has the strength of a big, with the acceleration of a small athletic forward. His size strength and speed combo is what made him brilliant.

Small guards may be a 10/10 in speed and acceleration, 4/10 in size and 3/10 in strength.

LeBron is a 7/10 in acceleration and probably an 8/10 in speed. Like some small forwards and decently fast guards. The difference is he's a 10/10 in strength and about a 9/10 in size. Players with that kind of speed, even forwards wouldn't be more than a 6 in size and strength. LeBron is a jack of all trades in terms of athleticism relative to size.

He's not freakishly fast or quick. He's freakishly strong and quick for his size. MJ was quicker and faster. Tbh, I probably had a faster top speed than LeBron in my peak track and field days.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
BodieB
Veteran
And1: 3,339

Post#46 » by BodieB » Mon Dec 9, 2019 4:46 pm

MrBigShot wrote:

LeBron was a freak athlete among freak athletes. His acceleration and explosion were something else.

Good gracious. :o
Arman_tanzarian
Veteran
And1: 2,712

Post#47 » by Arman_tanzarian » Fri May 22, 2020 9:11 pm

Arman_tanzarian wrote:Are some of you guys serious with this lack of quickness thing?

Cavs LeBron circa rook to 2010 was one dribble and he's at the rim in the half-court. In the open court, he was the fastest player in the league. Only wade was near his level end to end.

His first step was insane too pre Miami. I think you guys are confusing quickness with lane agility. The latter he was slightly below an all-timer like MJ just because of his size.

End to end LeBron is the fastest player I've ever seen. Especially when he has steam.

1:25

Dude is a literal blur before the other players can even turn their heads. He even slows down a bit at the end. You can see his quickness in that instant bit of acceleration and he's ahead of everybody, despite being baseline when the steal occurs.

We need to quit acting like peak nephews here.

* Edit, same ish, possibly even more impressive at 6:15
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,063

Post#48 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:21 pm

Lebron had an above average to great first step,something like maybe a rudy gay on memphis level, but not All time great or anything just because he doesnt quite have the footwork of a guard and he's a bit heavier than the people we may want to compare him to. End to end, he was one of the fastest guys ive ever seen.

Right now, He has slown on the fast break a lot, because thats just aging and losing some athleticism. In half court offense and defense, he hasnt fallen off nearly as much as some may want to belive,and thats because he has improved his skill and footwork in executing his moves TREMENDOUSLY.

Lebron was given almost every genetic advantage an athlete could ask for, yet he still didnt sit on his laurels, and tried to improve where he was weak, all those things we said he cant do ten years ago, he can do now, even if hes lost some of what initially made him amazing.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,695

Post#49 » by Benedict_Boozer » Fri May 22, 2020 9:50 pm

He used to be ALOT quicker than he is now. He is still elite for his weight and size but it’s not close to what he used to be, especially in the open court.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
In SVG We Trust
Starter
And1: 1,399

Post#50 » by In SVG We Trust » Fri May 22, 2020 9:58 pm

He was able to defend Tony Parker so... One of the fastest players this league has seen
PMONSTER
Head Coach
And1: 1,301

Post#51 » by PMONSTER » Fri May 22, 2020 10:20 pm

If we're talking speed, quickness, power, and vertical....

Derrick Rose
Michael Jordan
LeBron James
Zion Williamson
Shaquille O'Neal

We've been blessed to see them
NBA Playoffs.... I can never wait!
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,468

Post#52 » by Pelly24 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:27 pm

I think peak lebron had a Vince Carter type of first step and DWade type of speed.

Now he's maybe a bit less quick than Kawhi, but definitely quicker than someone like Paul George.
Alize
Senior
And1: 283

Post#53 » by Alize » Sat May 23, 2020 6:51 pm

When did Jordan had power?
PMONSTER wrote:If we're talking speed, quickness, power, and vertical....

Derrick Rose
Michael Jordan
LeBron James
Zion Williamson
Shaquille O'Neal

Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app
BodieB
Veteran
And1: 3,339

Post#54 » by BodieB » Sat May 23, 2020 7:06 pm

clyde21 wrote:he was quick for his size but not insanely quick, just super fast once he got a full head of steam but the acceleration wasn't THAT good (still good obviously for his size).

Lol no it was that good. His elite acceleration is what enabled him to get those chase down blocks for much of his career.
twyzted
Sixth Man
And1: 2,182

Post#55 » by twyzted » Sat May 23, 2020 7:08 pm

Alize wrote:When did Jordan had power?

Derrick Rose
Michael Jordan
LeBron James
Zion Williamson
Shaquille O'Neal

:lol: :lol: :lol: have you watched jordan highlights? He had plenty power :crazy:
Pennebaker wrote:Jordan lacks LeBron's mental toughness.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,293

Post#56 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:14 pm

I think his quickness went down a tad in about 2011/2012 when he added another 10-15b and was in the post more. I don't think its actually dropped off that much from then but I think he doesn't try to blow past people quite as much and he uses more moves rather than just relying on his speed. He's much more crafty now.
Alize
Senior

Post#57 » by Alize » Sat May 23, 2020 7:22 pm

Whaaat, all i see is finesse and quickness but power? Come one haha
twyzted wrote:
Alize wrote:When did Jordan had power?

Derrick Rose
Michael Jordan
LeBron James
Zion Williamson
Shaquille O'Neal

have you watched jordan highlights? He had plenty power :crazy:

Alize
Senior

Post#58 » by Alize » Sat May 23, 2020 7:23 pm

Same opionion here, i think in 2009 he was very quick, this was at the same time were he chasedowned a lot of players.
Cavsfansince84 wrote:I think his quickness went down a tad in about 2011/2012 when he added another 10-15b and was in the post more. I don't think its actually dropped off that much from then but I think he doesn't try to blow past people quite as much and he uses more moves rather than just relying on his speed. He's much more crafty now.

Alize
Senior

Post#59 » by Alize » Sat May 23, 2020 7:28 pm

This is how quick he was at his peak.
https://youtu.be/-qu9d6bZtpE

https://youtu.be/NYz-_AsTASY

Dnt hate
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Post#60 » by Dnt hate » Sat May 23, 2020 7:37 pm

Optms wrote:You'll never see anything like peak Lebron in the open court ever again. Speed, power, grace. Nothing came close before or after. That was the biggest thing that jumped out to me when I saw him on the Cav's.

Greek Freak

Return to The General Board