Rockets Willing To Give Up Future Assets For Wing Player

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Rockets Willing To Give Up Future Assets For Wing Player 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:32 am

The Houston Rockets are targeting a wing player in the trade market, league sources told Shams Charania of The Athletic.

The team are willing to give up a future asset for a player who helps their roster right now.

The Athletic reported earlier that Mike D'Antoni is unlikely to return to the team next season unless they win the title this season.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

blau08
Senior
And1: 136

Re: Rockets Willing To Give Up Future Assets For Wing Player 

Post#2 » by blau08 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:12 am

Melo for 2 firsts
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,262

Post#3 » by Imon » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:38 am

Maybe they should go after Trevor Ariza. :lol:
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,112

Post#4 » by Darthlukey » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:14 am

The cupboard of future assets is looking pretty bare right now, thanks to the Russ trade they have very little flexibility
alexb618
Rookie
And1: 870

Post#5 » by alexb618 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:18 am

i feel like they need an actual pg so that harden can get on the wing.
Travis Outlaw: Oh man. That feels great. To have a bobblehead of me is just terrific.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#6 » by TheCage4 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:25 am

Iguodala
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 655

Post#7 » by D21 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:31 pm

Darthlukey wrote:The cupboard of future assets is looking pretty bare right now, thanks to the Russ trade they have very little flexibility

Maybe they will trade Westbrook first to get back some picks, oh wait, nobody will give what they gave ;-)
gabri3l3
Junior
And1: 468

Post#8 » by gabri3l3 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:19 pm

alexb618 wrote:i feel like they need an actual pg so that harden can get on the wing.

What? he's having MVP campaign after MVP campaign each and every year playing as the de-facto PG and you want him to change position and have him off the ball?
Rollie
Junior
And1: 34

Post#9 » by Rollie » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:55 pm

TheCage4 wrote:Iguodala

For who?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#10 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Morey is going all in before he bails on Houston.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Chaos_vx
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#11 » by Chaos_vx » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:30 pm

gabri3l3 wrote:
alexb618 wrote:i feel like they need an actual pg so that harden can get on the wing.

What? he's having MVP campaign after MVP campaign each and every year playing as the de-facto PG and you want him to change position and have him off the ball?

LMAO scoring 50 with 24 freethrows on horrible shooting is my mvp for sure. Cry more about one not counted basket when you blew a double digit lead in the fourth.
Heavyhitter10
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#12 » by Heavyhitter10 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:23 pm

How about Delmar DeRosan? He doesn't seem to fit in with the Spurs.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,849

Post#13 » by 24istheLAW » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:31 pm

Rollie wrote:

For who?

Buyout at midseason
MartyConlonJr
General Manager
And1: 2,396

Post#14 » by MartyConlonJr » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:07 pm

Dion Waiters is available from Miami. You would only needs to give up matching salary (and not a dollar more due to Miami at hard cap), quality of player irrelevant and no longer than two years contracts.

Despite his troubles this year including the plane incident, his ego and not coming in in 'Heat shape', he still came in in pretty good shape, better than recent years (check his instagram) and last time he was in this type of shape he was dynamic for Heat in 2016-2017 till he got injured and shot 39.5% from 3, making big shots and helping Miami to that 30-11 second half.

He is entitled and has not handled well that Miami has a lot of wings (some less established than him) needing and deserving minutes as well as him and this has put him in Spo's doghouse. I don't think there is a Miami fan that doesn't think he can contribute between quality role player to 3rd-4th string starter type, but he is not worth the hassle for a deep team like Miami with youth at those positions to foster.

If Houston has a deep need for a quality wing and in an offense that allows you to get up a lot of shots and threes, it could be the perfect place for a trade. For all Dion's selfishness and ego, as a player he is quite a good playmaker and facilitator, and can also D up.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#15 » by TheCage4 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:53 pm

24istheLAW wrote:
Rollie wrote:

For who?

Buyout at midseason

Memphis has stated they refuse to buy him out and let him walk to the Lakers or another contending team. If someone wants him, they’ll have to trade for him.

If Houston is looking to move future assets, the Grizzles are all ears. As long as there is draft compensation of some type he can be Houston bound.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#16 » by NavalAviator94 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:18 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Morey is going all in before he bails on Houston.

Honestly, that's a strong possibility when you consider the dollars coming Houston's way via China. My money's on NY.
wa7hnaussksjst
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#17 » by wa7hnaussksjst » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:59 pm

MartyConlonJr wrote:Dion Waiters is available from Miami. You would only needs to give up matching salary (and not a dollar more due to Miami at hard cap), quality of player irrelevant and no longer than two years contracts.

Despite his troubles this year including the plane incident, his ego and not coming in in 'Heat shape', he still came in in pretty good shape, better than recent years (check his instagram) and last time he was in this type of shape he was dynamic for Heat in 2016-2017 till he got injured and shot 39.5% from 3, making big shots and helping Miami to that 30-11 second half.

He is entitled and has not handled well that Miami has a lot of wings (some less established than him) needing and deserving minutes as well as him and this has put him in Spo's doghouse. I don't think there is a Miami fan that doesn't think he can contribute between quality role player to 3rd-4th string starter type, but he is not worth the hassle for a deep team like Miami with youth at those positions to foster.

If Houston has a deep need for a quality wing and in an offense that allows you to get up a lot of shots and threes, it could be the perfect place for a trade. For all Dion's selfishness and ego, as a player he is quite a good playmaker and facilitator, and can also D up.

Dion is a 6-3 SG chucker, not a wing. They already have a similar player in Eric Gordon.
MartyConlonJr
General Manager
And1: 2,396

Post#18 » by MartyConlonJr » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:58 pm

Outright_awful wrote:
MartyConlonJr wrote:Dion Waiters is available from Miami. You would only needs to give up matching salary (and not a dollar more due to Miami at hard cap), quality of player irrelevant and no longer than two years contracts.

Dion is a 6-3 SG chucker, not a wing. They already have a similar player in Eric Gordon.

I didn't say he was perfect, but Houston is capped out and has no assets, so what level of player are they expecting?

Dion is not close to perfect but even the Miami fans that hate him will acknowledge when he is right (in good shape, not injured and with a somewhat prominent role), he is a positive. The first two needs are theoretically in place, but we can't provide him the third.

The best representation of him as a player was the stretch in 2016-2017 where he began starting, up until he got injured. 27 games, 30.7 mpg, 45% FG, 42.6% 3PT, 63.2% FT, 17.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg 5.0 apg, 0.9 spg, 0.4 bpg, 2.4 topg, and a +4.9. He was lethal with Dragic in the backcourt as they were both shoot, drive and dish threats, fueling our 30-11 second half (21-6 in his 27 games).

I think that guy still exists, but he can't exist in Miami now. Whether someone is willing to deal with his ego and attitude is another thing.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 23,971

Post#19 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:12 am

Cute that anyone thinks the Rockets still have future assets.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 23,971

Post#20 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:14 am

MartyConlonJr wrote:
Outright_awful wrote:

I didn't say he was perfect, but Houston is capped out and has no assets, so what level of player are they expecting?

Dion is not close to perfect but even the Miami fans that hate him will acknowledge when he is right (in good shape, not injured and with a somewhat prominent role), he is a positive. The first two needs are theoretically in place, but we can't provide him the third.

The best representation of him as a player was the stretch in 2016-2017 where he began starting, up until he got injured. 27 games, 30.7 mpg, 45% FG, 42.6% 3PT, 63.2% FT, 17.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg 5.0 apg, 0.9 spg, 0.4 bpg, 2.4 topg, and a +4.9. He was lethal with Dragic in the backcourt as they were both shoot, drive and dish threats, fueling our 30-11 second half (21-6 in his 27 games).

I think that guy still exists, but he can't exist in Miami now. Whether someone is willing to deal with his ego and attitude is another thing.

Yeah.. he's still not a wing. I don't think there was a headline that said: Rockets Willing To Give Up Future Assets For Another Fat Injured Combo Guard.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast

Return to Wiretap Discussion