Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,780

Re: Welcome Dario Saric! 

Post#81 » by Saberestar » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:54 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter
His teammates in Philly loved 'the homie' too.

He's played well of late too.

Yeah, look at his numbers...

October (5 games)
9.6 points, 6.4 rebounds, .516 TS%

November (13 games)
11.0 points, 7.3 rebounds, .546 TS%

December (5 games)
13.6 points, 8.0 rebounds, .623 TS%
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,594

Post#82 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:27 am

Slow starter. I was a Dario fan before we traded for him but I lost the enthusiasm for him after the first month a bit. He's now rounding out to be what I expected him to contribute. Good on ya
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#83 » by Dual » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:20 am

He gives his all every game, I love that.
And ofc he is getting better and more consistent.
I'm all in in maintaining him, as starter or rotation player.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,147

Post#84 » by Mr Puddles » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:53 am

Dual wrote:He gives his all every game, I love that.
And ofc he is getting better and more consistent.
I'm all in in maintaining him, as starter or rotation player.

Yes, short of trading for Gallo - keeping Saric is my favorite course of action as well. The realistically available alternatives at the PF don't really excite me too much.

Love to see what Saric looks like when we have our entire team available in a few games.
Spoiler:
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,113

Post#85 » by Revived » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:05 am

He has to continue making wide open layups. He did that in the Minnesota game but he didn’t in the games before. Especially the Pelicans game which we would have lost had he not fouled out.

His athletic limitations make it impossible for him to be a good help defender at the rim so hopefully Ayton can be that strong rim protector instead once he’s back.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,333

Post#86 » by bwgood77 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:12 pm

Revived wrote:He has to continue making wide open layups. He did that in the Minnesota game but he didn’t in the games before. Especially the Pelicans game which we would have lost had he not fouled out.

His athletic limitations make it impossible for him to be a good help defender at the rim so hopefully Ayton can be that strong rim protector instead once he’s back.

None of the other guys talked about do much help at the rim either except maybe Aldridge.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,113

Post#87 » by Revived » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:59 am

Who do you guys think is more athletic, Jared Dudley in his prime (think 2009-14 seasons) or Dario Saric today?
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#88 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:18 am

Probably Saric. Saric has 4 dunks so far this season in 29 games. Dudley's season high with the Suns is like 7 dunks in 82 games.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#89 » by Saberestar » Mon Jan 6, 2020 10:51 pm

“Dario is a connector for us. When he’s in the game, the ball moves,” he said, citing the Suns’ passing numbers being down lately as Saric’s playing time has faded.

“I gotta figure out a way to get him in the game because he’s a good player,” Williams said. “He hasn’t played as well as he’s capable of but we’re certainly not giving up on Dario.”

“He’s going to be in the rotation whether or not I change the lineup,” he said.

“Of course it’s kind of hard with everything but I am professional and respect the coach’s decision,” Saric said.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2214958/dario-saric-still-in-rotation-according-to-suns-monty-williams/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,336

Post#90 » by sunskerr » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:49 am

Ok what's the deal with this guy in Oubre's absence?

I feel like he's pretty solid at finding Ayton in the post and also is fairly good at keeping the ball moving. Would like for him to knock down 2 threes per game but honestly his play has been very welcome these last two games. At least according to the box score these observations stand up to the test, with 5 assists and 3 assists the last two games.

Anyone agree or disagree? Does Oubre's absence encourage more usage or involvement of Saric in the offense in terms of passing and shooting?

I know we're excited about Bridges but he's more or less doing what we want him to do, which is shoot and play spectacular D. Saric's game is a little more technical with the passing and pump fake dribble drives, and his defense, whilst not showing up on the stat sheet, is at least not horrible according to 538 https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nba-predictions/suns/ which has him as a slight negative.

Since bridges is a low usage guy, Ayton doesn't create his own offense, and Booker and Rubio already have a million touches per game, it appears that Saric has to be the remaining guy to soak up some of that offensive responsibility, which is why I think it is odd when people skip over him when talking about Oubre to the bench.

Anyway, just want to have more of a discussion about what he's doing now that is better than what he was doing before. I mean, just reading the quotes in the post above me from Monty about Saric, it would seem to stand that if he's as good a "connector" or "ball mover" as Monty says he is, then he'd do reasonably well getting more of those touches that Oubre was getting.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#91 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:28 am

Oubre's absence means we have one less blackhole on offense which means more passing/playmaking opportunities for other guys on the team like Saric.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#92 » by Saberestar » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:55 am

sunskerr wrote:Ok what's the deal with this guy in Oubre's absence?

I feel like he's pretty solid at finding Ayton in the post and also is fairly good at keeping the ball moving. Would like for him to knock down 2 threes per game but honestly his play has been very welcome these last two games. At least according to the box score these observations stand up to the test, with 5 assists and 3 assists the last two games.

Anyone agree or disagree? Does Oubre's absence encourage more usage or involvement of Saric in the offense in terms of passing and shooting?

I know we're excited about Bridges but he's more or less doing what we want him to do, which is shoot and play spectacular D. Saric's game is a little more technical with the passing and pump fake dribble drives, and his defense, whilst not showing up on the stat sheet, is at least not horrible according to 538 https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nba-predictions/suns/ which has him as a slight negative.

Since bridges is a low usage guy, Ayton doesn't create his own offense, and Booker and Rubio already have a million touches per game, it appears that Saric has to be the remaining guy to soak up some of that offensive responsibility, which is why I think it is odd when people skip over him when talking about Oubre to the bench.

Anyway, just want to have more of a discussion about what he's doing now that is better than what he was doing before. I mean, just reading the quotes in the post above me from Monty about Saric, it would seem to stand that if he's as good a "connector" or "ball mover" as Monty says he is, then he'd do reasonably well getting more of those touches that Oubre was getting.

In the last couple of games we have seen that Saric can be the perfect (well...close to) PF next to Ayton.

Saric plays smart basketball all the time. He has had some bad decisions here and there (like fouling 3p shooters) but his game is all about developing the set plays designed for Monty and he doesn't break plays as much as other players.

When needed he can be a playmaker too because he is skilled. His passing is welcome playing next to Ayton who can take advantage from his vision and awareness.

Obviously he has some limitations in his game... he is not an athlete and he is not a deadly three point shooter, but he always plays with effort and he cares about winning. That's big too.

Oubre in the starting lineup takes the ball out of his hands and makes Saric sometimes invisible out there. And that impacts on Ayton's usage too, because Saric is a "connector" but Oubre is a finisher.

We will see, but hopefully when Oubre is back he plays that 6th man role. All the team will benefit from that.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#93 » by Saberestar » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:28 pm

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM

Re: Dario Saric news and highlights 

Post#94 » by Saberestar » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:19 pm

Read on Twitter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#95 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:31 pm

Saric has always been a fringe starter/1st big of the bench type player. I don't mind him in this role. He's smart enough and big enough to hang with 2nd string bigs on most teams
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#96 » by suns12345 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:25 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Saric has always been a fringe starter/1st big of the bench type player. I don't mind him in this role. He's smart enough and big enough to hang with 2nd string bigs on most teams

We talk a lot here about what $$ e would retain him at next season.

(noting he is a restricted FA) Would Dario's first preference be to come back and play for us again?
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#97 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:35 am

suns12345 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Saric has always been a fringe starter/1st big of the bench type player. I don't mind him in this role. He's smart enough and big enough to hang with 2nd string bigs on most teams

(noting he is a restricted FA) Would Dario's first preference be to come back and play for us again?

I honestly don't think there's a huge market for him out there. He's a smart player with 3PT range but I just don't see teams throwing "big" bucks at him. He's not exactly young (turned 26 a few months ago) and he's not overly athletic so I don't think he has the same room for improvement as a guy who's 22-23 and athletic. Basically you're getting what he is now with maybe a little improvement.

I think he's probably a $7-8m player and that might be on a higher end considering the current environment
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#98 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:38 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
suns12345 wrote:

I honestly don't think there's a huge market for him out there. He's a smart player with 3PT range but I just don't see teams throwing "big" bucks at him. He's not exactly young (turned 26 a few months ago) and he's not overly athletic so I don't think he has the same room for improvement as a guy who's 22-23 and athletic. Basically you're getting what he is now with maybe a little improvement.

I think he's probably a $7-8m player and that might be on a higher end considering the current environment
Yeah I'm sure Dario will explore his options but I'm with you that I doubt he has a robust market. RFAs get froze out early in FA because teams don't like having their money tied up on an offer sheet that can be matched then they miss on other guys.

If some team offers him a good contract and a starting spot hell definitely take it but if not I could see him simply play on the QO and hope to have a nice season off the bench then hit the market as a UFA next summer and hope to cash in.

Sliding down the the 5 has really helped his game, he's just big and good enough on D to hold his own against backup Cs and his offensive skill set is tough for other teams C's to guard. Their not the exact player but it kind of reminds me of Boris Diaw when he got fat and started playing exclusively as a big.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#99 » by Saberestar » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:40 pm

Read on Twitter
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,336

Post#100 » by sunskerr » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:29 am

I actually really like Saric coming off the bench at the 5, or at the very least he needs to be getting the same amount of minutes next year. Baynes is getting older so it would be nice to keep Saric around. I worry that he'll get paid too much for us to match though because this stretch of games seems to have revealed that he's better at the 5. And I took a look at his stats and at least on offense and rebounding, he's actually been better than Ayton (more 3s, and per 36 his ppg and rpg are better). He still lacks in mobility and defense, though.

Going into next season if we're looking at a bench with the 6th and 7th players being Oubre and Saric, that's a really, really good start building a deeper team.

Return to Phoenix Suns