Future of the Trailblazers

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Re: Future of the Trailblazers 

Post#121 » by wco81 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:59 am

d-train wrote:
wco81 wrote:Yeah but if he owned the arena, he could make money for non NBA events, which he doesn't have to share with the league.

There's an advantage to being landlord rather than the tenant.

You are assuming the "big events landlord business" is a good business. I'm not familiar with that business but I can assure your there are many factors that determine whether the business bleeds cash or is a license to print cash. The biggest factor is almost always location. I'll bet it's magnitudes better to own a fancy big area in LA than it is to own such a facility in Portland or Seattle. Yet, the cost to build a big fancy arena is about the same in all 3 locations.

I suspect the Moda Center is a huge money pit. I think it's likely many Blazers fans have the wrong idea about how great it is to own the Moda Center because of all the bad reporting and false narratives that were floated while Blazers and Moda Center had separate ownership. The Moda Center is a financial disaster and the only reason Paul Allen was better off to own it is because of the agreement Allen had with the banks that financed the building allowed the banks to confiscate almost all the ticket revenues from Blazers games. The telling fact is that Paul Allen lost less money while the banks owned the Moda Center than he did while he owned the Moda Center and made payments to the banks for the building's financing.

That's pretty much the business model of the Warriors new arena, the Chase Center. The owners wanted to build it with their own money so that they would control it and bank all the non-NBA events money.

So they've booked a lot of concerts but it's a lot of older groups like Metallica.

There have been some chatter that they've already booked $2 billion in revenues over some period of time. In addition to all the season ticket sales, they sold PSLs too.

But there are other music concert venues in the area and the Warriors owners clearly plan to take that business away. We will know they're succeeding when they book current acts like Ed Sheeran than oldies groups like Metallica, whose fans must be at least in the late'40s.

This also seems to be what Ballmer is pursuing in LA too. He's going to try to take away the concerts business from other venues, though it must be way more competitive in LA. That is why MSG which owns music venues down there is suing or trying to stop their arena some way.

When the Blazers aren't playing home games, a modern arena could be an attractive venue for other events -- concerts, ice capades, WWE, etc.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,425

Post#122 » by Cactus Jack » Fri May 24, 2019 4:53 am

wco81 wrote:
d-train wrote:
wco81 wrote:Yeah but if he owned the arena, he could make money for non NBA events, which he doesn't have to share with the league.

There's an advantage to being landlord rather than the tenant.

You are assuming the "big events landlord business" is a good business. I'm not familiar with that business but I can assure your there are many factors that determine whether the business bleeds cash or is a license to print cash. The biggest factor is almost always location. I'll bet it's magnitudes better to own a fancy big area in LA than it is to own such a facility in Portland or Seattle. Yet, the cost to build a big fancy arena is about the same in all 3 locations.

I suspect the Moda Center is a huge money pit. I think it's likely many Blazers fans have the wrong idea about how great it is to own the Moda Center because of all the bad reporting and false narratives that were floated while Blazers and Moda Center had separate ownership. The Moda Center is a financial disaster and the only reason Paul Allen was better off to own it is because of the agreement Allen had with the banks that financed the building allowed the banks to confiscate almost all the ticket revenues from Blazers games. The telling fact is that Paul Allen lost less money while the banks owned the Moda Center than he did while he owned the Moda Center and made payments to the banks for the building's financing.

This also seems to be what Ballmer is pursuing in LA too. He's going to try to take away the concerts business from other venues, though it must be way more competitive in LA. That is why MSG which owns music venues down there is suing or trying to stop their arena some way.

Exactly. MSG, which owns the Forum & is right down the street from the proposed site (land) is fighting it. It's also currently facing several other lawsuits.

https://la.curbed.com/2019/4/26/18518613/clippers-inglewood-nba-arena-lawsuit
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,872

Post#123 » by JasonStern » Fri May 24, 2019 6:46 pm

Happy birthday, Wizenheimer!

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/portland-trail-blazers/report-neil-olshey-agrees-contract-extension-trail-blazers-0

wco81 wrote:Surprised Knight wouldn't do it

Uncle Phil already has a basketball and a football team. #GoDucks
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#124 » by DusterBuster » Fri May 24, 2019 11:24 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#125 » by DusterBuster » Fri May 24, 2019 11:30 pm

Sounds like Jody did some interviews on 620AM today and she sure isn't speaking like someone who has selling the team on the mind anytime soon...

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I think it's fair to assume the reports about her keeping the team for Paul is very true. I can see Jody viewing the Blazers as a symbol of honoring and remembering her brother
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#126 » by d-train » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:07 am

Has anyone noticed that Olshey totally dismisses any suggestion that Blazers ownership status is in flux? I would say any worries about direction and stability of the team without Paul are baseless. The course of the Blazers is unchanged without Paul and will likely stay that way. That's not to say that the status of NBA teams isn't normally somewhat fluid. Blazers fans will continue to enjoy great management and a steady hand (wallet) at the top.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#127 » by PDX MM » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:38 am

wco81 wrote:So they've booked a lot of concerts but it's a lot of older groups like Metallica.

That is exactly what you would want. Bands like Metallica are iconic and are a guaranteed big money draw not only for the arena/stadium owner but all local businesses.

Portland is an interesting city in the sense that we are big enough to draw in most of the top acts yet small enough that there are only a few places that can seat as many people as those acts will draw. I can see how that would be much different in the bay area with a lot more competition due to the fact that there are more qualified places. So profits certainly can vary from city to city. Myself if I owned the team I would also want to own the arena. At least until I actually saw the financial statements that would prove it one way or the other I could be changing my tune.
wco81
RealGM

Post#128 » by wco81 » Fri Dec 6, 2019 11:00 pm

Didn’t want to start a new thread.

Mark Spears tells Zach Lowe that Dame would object to CJ being traded. May even want to leave if CJ is traded.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#129 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Dec 7, 2019 12:04 am

wco81 wrote:Mark Spears tells Zach Lowe that Dame would object to CJ being traded. May even want to leave if CJ is traded.

Dame objected to Mason Plumlee being traded. He got over it pretty quickly when he saw the result
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#130 » by Norm2953 » Sat Dec 7, 2019 2:24 am

Let's see what the return from any CJ trade but Dame's signed through the 2025 season for a
six year, $250 Million supermax extension. Thats a lot of money for even the big city teams
wco81
RealGM

Post#131 » by wco81 » Sat Dec 7, 2019 3:03 am

Spears made it sound like trading away CJ would be a dealbreaker.

He could demand a trade but probably hard to accomplish, especially when he's under contract and that contract is maybe too big for other teams to absorb.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#132 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Dec 7, 2019 5:56 pm

wco81 wrote:Spears made it sound like trading away CJ would be a dealbreaker.

He could demand a trade but probably hard to accomplish, especially when he's under contract and that contract is maybe too big for other teams to absorb.

I'm sure he'd be unhappy if/when CJ was traded. But he's under contract for 5 more years after this one and he's not the kind of person to pout for 5+ years and not compete. Blazers are now 1-9 against teams with winning records this year. In the close-out playoff series for the Dame-CJ teams since 2015-16, Portland is 1-16 and have lost 14 in a row; and the only win came against the Warriors 4 years ago when Curry didn't play. Blazers have been good at beating up on lesser teams and have rolled in the regular season. But when the competition is elite, Portland has wilted.

Just exchanging players in the lower part of the rotation isn't going to change Blazer trajectory. Rearranging role players won't make them a contender. They need a change to the core, and right now, the core is Dame, CJ, and Nurkic. Dame and CJ have never developed any mesh or synergy on offense other than just taking turns going iso. They don't have a 2-man game, and they don't work PnR together, they just weave on the perimeter and that accomplishes little. They are too redundant in style, size and position, and neither play good defense. The choice, IMO, is high level mediocrity with Dame & CJ (which is what Olshey will likely choose) or taking the risk of trading CJ for a shot at something different, and better
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#133 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Dec 7, 2019 6:09 pm

So what does McCollum and the large expiring contracts of Whiteside, and Bazemore bring you? Of course, the smaller contracts of the other players can be tossed in, but I would keep Lillard and Nurkic.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Post#134 » by TBpup » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:16 pm

@Wizenheimer "Blazers are now 1-9 against teams with winning records this year. In the close-out playoff series for the Dame-CJ teams since 2015-16, Portland is 1-16 and have lost 14 in a row; and the only win came against the Warriors 4 years ago when Curry didn't play."

Those are damning numbers and why I believe Portland has never been close to being an actual contender with this group. So there needs to be a reset/big change but it seems doubtful that will happen and this team will be what it was the last 4 years.....solid to good, but not a threat to win a tite.

Contrast that to what many Warriors fans I've spoken to (purely anecdotal) view this season as.

'Patience' is what many Warriors fans seem to have. There is a large group of my gf's friends down in the Bay area where her main office is. Almost without exception, they are all in on the tank. They can't wait to add a high Lottory pick or the asset that might bring to a healthy Curry, Thompson and Green...or whatever asset Green might bring.

They believe their reset time will be very short but think it is the best use of this season in the long run when winning enough games here or there to put them in the 4-14 Lottery range would be worth almost nothing. They are happy to see what talent they may have with the young kids and then make a legit attempt to make a run again starting next year.
@TBpup22
BigPuma
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#135 » by BigPuma » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:00 pm

For some reason your description of Warrior fans really irritates me. you make it sound like they are so wise and forward thinking to accept the tank this year. It doesn't take much 'patience' to go to the finals 5 years in a row, then have 1 down year, and then have a good chance to be elite again next year. The warriors have the most obvious, quickest, highest reward, least painful tanking situation in the history of the NBA. Of course they are all in on it. They don't even have another choice. Literally all of their good players are hurt.
Puma (as in Travis "The Puma" Outlaw)
wco81
RealGM

Post#136 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:31 pm

Well that’s the theory and hope for warriors fans.

Local ratings have plummeted.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#137 » by DusterBuster » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:29 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
wco81 wrote:Mark Spears tells Zach Lowe that Dame would object to CJ being traded. May even want to leave if CJ is traded.

Dame objected to Mason Plumlee being traded. He got over it pretty quickly when he saw the result

Comparing Dame's relationship with Plumlee to CJ isn't exactly something on equal grounds.... He was teammates with Plumlee for a year and half. He's going on what, year 6 with CJ?

This post is pretty dismissive of a deeper human factor here.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#138 » by DusterBuster » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:31 pm

The Ringer has a report that Blazers are interested in Love and Gallo, with Love also having the Blazers as his preferred destination.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/12/10/21004318/nba-trade-deadline-kevin-love-danilo-gallinari-robert-covington
wco81
RealGM

Post#139 » by wco81 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:54 am

They want both in addition to Melo?

Can Melo and Love be on the court at the same time? Bad defensive combo.

I think Gallo has expiring deal but Love has big contract.

I guess spending isn’t an issue as one might have thought. Would think Loves deal would put the team into luxury taxes.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#140 » by DusterBuster » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:41 am

wco81 wrote:They want both in addition to Melo?

Can Melo and Love be on the court at the same time? Bad defensive combo.

I think Gallo has expiring deal but Love has big contract.

I guess spending isn’t an issue as one might have thought. Would think Loves deal would put the team into luxury taxes.

I think the article was suggesting one or the other, not both

Return to Portland Trail Blazers