Carmelo Anthony Approached Knicks About Helping Pursuit Of Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Carmelo Anthony Approached Knicks About Helping Pursuit Of Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:23 am

Carmelo Anthony and his representatives were in contact with management of the New York Knicks during the 2019 offseason about rejoining the franchise on a minimum contract.

Anthony's camp attempted to convince the Knicks that signing him would improve their chances of signing Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving.

The Knicks were intrigued about the possibility of signing Anthony, but would only do so once they received commitments from Durant and Irving.

“He wanted to stay in New York,” said a person close to Anthony. “That’s what he was hoping for, but it didn’t work out.”

Durant and Irving lobbied the Nets to sign Anthony but the front office had several concerns.

Via Frank Isola/The Athletic

br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Re: Carmelo Anthony Approached Knicks About Helping Pursuit Of Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving 

Post#2 » by br7knicks » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:05 am

First stroke of good luck the Knicks have had in a while.

No anything, Irving, or broken Durant is a good start to getting back to relevancy... From 20 years ago
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Re: Carmelo Anthony Approached Knicks About Helping Pursuit Of Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving 

Post#3 » by tigerae » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:26 am

br7knicks wrote:First stroke of good luck the Knicks have had in a while.

No anything, Irving, or broken Durant is a good start to getting back to relevancy... From 20 years ago
Getting KD and Irving would have absolutely made them relevant again. Maybe not this year, but definitely next year. KD and Irving easily would have made them a top 5 team in the East and in the playoffs for at least a few years. Maybe even give them the ability to squeak in to the playoffs this year with Irving and Melo if they brought in the right pieces to finish the roster.

Instead they are still in shambles and will take years to turn it around and it will only start to happen once/if Dolan sells the team.
ImOnFire
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#4 » by ImOnFire » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:50 am

lol @ Knicks Fans. KD and Kyrie no good. Much better with that pile of loser misfits they have now.
Pantsman
Veteran
And1: 3,733

Post#5 » by Pantsman » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:56 am

You can’t be serious lmao
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#6 » by nedleeds » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:45 am

Thank god they didn't take him up on it and have those two train wrecks come on 4 year maxes. Imagine the media if what's happening in Brooklyn was happening in MSG?
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 140

Post#7 » by haste10176 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:55 am

nedleeds wrote:Thank god they didn't take him up on it and have those two train wrecks come on 4 year maxes. Imagine the media if what's happening in Brooklyn was happening in MSG?

Imagine they signed Melo on the minimum and those two don't join and the knicks still suck.. The thing is id probably go to a game just to see Melo throw the ball up 40 times.. They should of signed him..
Not2BeBothered
Junior
And1: 314

Post#8 » by Not2BeBothered » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:41 am

nedleeds wrote:Thank god they didn't take him up on it and have those two train wrecks come on 4 year maxes. Imagine the media if what's happening in Brooklyn was happening in MSG?

Did I miss something, what’s happening in Brooklyn?
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#9 » by DoItALL9 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:48 am

No anything?

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
br7knicks

Post#10 » by br7knicks » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:32 am

tigerae wrote:

Getting KD and Irving would have absolutely made them relevant again. Maybe not this year, but definitely next year. KD and Irving easily would have made them a top 5 team in the East and in the playoffs for at least a few years. Maybe even give them the ability to squeak in to the playoffs this year with Irving and Melo if they brought in the right pieces to finish the roster.

Instead they are still in shambles and will take years to turn it around and it will only start to happen once/if Dolan sells the team.

Let's see...

KD had a devastating injury that usually ruins careers, or leaves them a mere fraction of the player they were. Then stuck with that **** for years. Think Knicks need to stop giving out ****, bloated contracts... then Randle happened right after thjr.

Knicks tried giving a "star" max money and try to build around a me-first, non-defense, lowIQ, offense only player in Melo. Then they started trading away first round picks to find the right players to play alongside him. A 'star' shouldn't be that hard to build around. Kyrie comes with even more baggage because, Melo simply ruined the franchise; kyrie goes out of his way to ruin other players and chemistry.

And now they're at least trying to keep their young players, and hopefully bringing in a coach who will at least try to develop them.

So, no, they wouldn't have helped make championship contender successful, even in the east, especially long term.

But yeah, Dolan, Perry, and mills are the problem.
RIP, magnumt '19

br7knicks

Post#11 » by br7knicks » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:34 am

DoItALL9 wrote:

No anything?

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app

Auto correct from Melo. Less more is more success. Just took them too long to realize that. Should've learned that back in 2011.
RIP, magnumt '19

t-rexCity
Junior
And1: 79

Post#12 » by t-rexCity » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:49 am

Melo. This is why nobody wanted you. More interest in fame than hoops. Hasn't been a month yet with blazers and this guy airing out every detail. Focus on your game. If blazers don't make playoffs might as well call it a farewell tour
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#13 » by gigantes » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:14 pm

Not2BeBothered wrote:

Brooklyn's overall group of new players has been gelling nicely the past 10+ games. With Kyrie and Caris LeVert likely coming back soon, the team looks like it will be in much better position than during the early season, which was bumpy while trying to integrate all the new faces.

Things could always go astray of course, but with a possible Durant return later in the season, the Nets could be a serious dark horse finals candidate.

(FWIW, the poster you replied to sounds like he doesn't actually follow the Nets)
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#14 » by nedleeds » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:56 pm

gigantes wrote:
Not2BeBothered wrote:

Brooklyn's overall group of new players has been gelling nicely the past 10+ games. With Kyrie and Caris LeVert likely coming back soon, the team looks like it will be in much better position than during the early season, which was bumpy while trying to integrate all the new faces.

Things could always go astray of course, but with a possible Durant return later in the season, the Nets could be a serious dark horse finals candidate.

(FWIW, the poster you replied to sounds like he doesn't actually follow the Nets)

I see two guys in suits getting 4 year maxes. Which would have been the ultimate Knicks move. Instead the Knicks incinerated Dolan's money on 3 chucker power forwards, which is completely useless but only 1 runs until next year I guess.

Thankfully nobody follows the Nets so the national media isn't ripping them for being better with Irving out. Maybe Durant will make medical history next year and the plan will really come together.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#15 » by gigantes » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:58 am

nedleeds wrote:
gigantes wrote:
Not2BeBothered wrote: Did I miss something, what’s happening in Brooklyn?

I see two guys in suits getting 4 year maxes. Which would have been the ultimate Knicks move. Instead the Knicks incinerated Dolan's money on 3 chucker power forwards, which is completely useless but only 1 runs until next year I guess.

Thankfully nobody follows the Nets so the national media isn't ripping them for being better with Irving out. Maybe Durant will make medical history next year and the plan will really come together.

Whoops, I guess you don't follow national media, either. If you did, you'd know that the Nets have been an interesting national story since they unexpectedly made the second-biggest leap in wins last season, behind only the Bucks. They only became that much bigger of a story since they signed Irving and Durant.

And no, they're not better with Irving out. They're better after having time to get used to all the new players. Like anyone who watches the team would know.

Return to Wiretap Discussion