ImageImage

OT: TV and Movies (with spoilers)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

livestrong4ever
General Manager
And1: 140

Re: OT: TV and Movies (with spoilers) 

Post#1501 » by livestrong4ever » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:36 pm

Silicon Valley had an interesting ending, i love how big head continues to fail upward. Was kid of sad, richard never got to live his dreams, but i like overall how they ended it. i laughed a few times, i love how they put laure in prison but never said anything about it. i would of loved if they did that to jared
livestrong4ever
General Manager
And1: 140

Post#1502 » by livestrong4ever » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Dont know how, but yesterday was first time i saw the 30 for 30 on Jimmy V. Did not know how close he was to death before that speech he made, and really had to be talked into it by dicky v
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,597

Post#1503 » by tski1972 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:12 pm

who ya gonna call? The Ghostbusters grandkids....

actually looks pretty good.

http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#1504 » by Mags FTW » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:43 am

tski1972 wrote:who ya gonna call? The Ghostbusters grandkids....

actually looks pretty good.

I already saw Stranger Things. Pass.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,618

Post#1505 » by emunney » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:48 am

Having now caught up on Watchmen (enjoying it), I feel annoyed that there has been so little discussion or even just acknowledgment of one of the most indelible TV moments of all time:

Spoiler:
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#1506 » by crkone » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:33 pm

emunney wrote:Having now caught up on Watchmen (enjoying it), I feel annoyed that there has been so little discussion or even just acknowledgment of one of the most indelible TV moments of all time:

Spoiler:

The potential for memes is unprecedented.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,929

Post#1507 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:04 pm

How is it not Friday yet.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,686

Post#1508 » by HaroldinGMinor » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:52 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Silicon Valley finale was kinda meh. Some funny parts for sure (season needed more Big Head moments) and did a nice job of tying things together, but just felt like a show that kinda lost its soul after the first 3 seasons.

Spoiler:
Can't believe they couldn't get TJ Miller for at least a cameo in the last episode. Major disappointment for me.

Re: your spoiler
Spoiler:
I know he "left" the show but he was part of the MeToo stuff and that all came out a few months after he announced he was leaving SV. I wonder if he was actually given the boot and they allowed him to make it seem like it was his decision? Probably not but seemed odd they wouldn't at least have him back for one scene.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,173

Post#1509 » by Iheartfootball » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:53 am

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Silicon Valley finale was kinda meh. Some funny parts for sure (season needed more Big Head moments) and did a nice job of tying things together, but just felt like a show that kinda lost its soul after the first 3 seasons.

Spoiler:
Can't believe they couldn't get TJ Miller for at least a cameo in the last episode. Major disappointment for me.

Re: your spoiler
Spoiler:
I know he "left" the show but he was part of the MeToo stuff and that all came out a few months after he announced he was leaving SV. I wonder if he was actually given the boot and they allowed him to make it seem like it was his decision? Probably not but seemed odd they wouldn't at least have him back for one scene.

Spoiler:
Good article on Page Six. "Showrunner, Alec Berg, whom Miller previously referred to as “[Harvard] Crimson trash,” made it clear that Miller wasn’t on his first string.

“These guys are the Golden State Warriors of comedy,” Berg said of the rest of the main cast — Thomas Middleditch, Kumail Nanjiani, Zach Woods and Martin Starr. “So, it’s like, yeah, we’ve lost Andre Iguodala but we still have Steph Curry and Kevin Durant and Klay Thompson.”

He quipped, “T.J. wasn’t LeBron.”

I don't think it was necessarily mutual. Also, pretty funny.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1510 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:16 am

The Expanse went live just now!
miwaukee
Bench Warmer
And1: 871

Post#1511 » by miwaukee » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:48 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:The Expanse went live just now!

Rewatching the first three seasons right now, nearly finished with the 3rd. Cant wait to start the new season. Hope its as good as I think it is
Isocleas2 wrote:To say what Parker + Snell did was garbage may be an insult to garbage. Afterall some of your garbage can be recycled and turned into something useful.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1512 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:31 pm

I finally got around to watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I would love to see what Tarantino could do with a screenwriter that can actually create a story with an arc. He's a great director and really good at dialog but the story side of things has always been kind of meh to me since his early work. And the use of voice over was just a bad idea. Figure out how to condense things, dude.

For a while I was thankful there would be no Mexican standoff in this one and then right near the end...he almost let me down. But to his credit, he did not. Way to go, Quentin! Speaking of the ending, I didn't hate it.

Spoiler:
Brad Pitt on acid was too hilarious. Reminded me of the guy he played in True Romance.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1513 » by HaroldinGMinor » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:11 pm

So Watchmen...

This was my first introduction to the material. Didn't read the book, didn't see the movie. I really enjoyed the season and the finale was satisfying for me although I didn't think it was their best episode. I'm assuming they'll do another season at some point. Seemed like they left enough open-ended stuff that they would have plenty of directions to go.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,545

Post#1514 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:03 pm

Watchman finale was awesome. That said, I have no clue where they go from here or whether it's even a good idea to do a 2nd season. My initial impression was that this would be a limited/mini-series, but I'm guessing with all the critical acclaim and popularity it's received, they're gonna go full Westworld with it.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1515 » by HaroldinGMinor » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:31 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Watchman finale was awesome. That said, I have no clue where they go from here or whether it's even a good idea to do a 2nd season. My initial impression was that this would be a limited/mini-series, but I'm guessing with all the critical acclaim and popularity it's received, they're gonna go full Westworld with it.

I just read that Lindelof doesn't have an idea yet as to where it would go so it's probably going to be a while if it happens.

Spoiler:
My guess is that Trieu's daughter/mom takes up the mantle of evil world genius. If Angela is a god (and I think she probably is) then that creates a foil. Veidt going on trial would be a B story...maybe he goes fully berserk and takes vengeance on everyone for daring to question his contributions to society? I dunno. Lots of directions they can go...including one that Dr. Manhattan isn't really dead. His energy was never fully implanted into Trieu so maybe it's stored somewhere? Who knows.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,545

Post#1516 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:06 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Watchman finale was awesome. That said, I have no clue where they go from here or whether it's even a good idea to do a 2nd season. My initial impression was that this would be a limited/mini-series, but I'm guessing with all the critical acclaim and popularity it's received, they're gonna go full Westworld with it.

I just read that Lindelof doesn't have an idea yet as to where it would go so it's probably going to be a while if it happens.

This is worrisome if true, and is almost always how great shows become mediocre.

Spoiler:
Lots of directions they can go...including one that Dr. Manhattan isn't really dead. His energy was never fully implanted into Trieu so maybe it's stored somewhere? Who knows

Yep, I'd almost say it's a certainty. The thing about Manhattan's character is that he pretty much never is completely "dead" and can always resurrect himself, both in the comics and in the movie.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1517 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:09 pm

If they go with another season I think they should go the anthology route and play around in a different setting, maybe a different time, completely different cast.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,618

Post#1518 » by emunney » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:39 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:If they go with another season I think they should go the anthology route and play around in a different setting, maybe a different time, completely different cast.

Thought it was a worthy follow-up to the comic given the very different voice and necessarily much smaller amount of new/original ideas. It was still a big story with big themes and came off really well, providing a worthwhile new perspective on the original and telling its own story beginning to end.

I don't think it's necessary to do more and I hope there's only more if it's similarly inspired. It's harder to imagine a direct extension of this totally contained story would be. But Regina King is great and I hope she'd be involved. Would be great to pull Redford out of retirement for a few scenes.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#1519 » by buckboy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:40 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
emunney wrote:
ClassicJack wrote:I'm an hour into The Irishman and the de-aging thing is throwing me off. Deniro looks like an old ass man doing young man sh^t. What was wrong with going The Godfather route and casting a younger guy to play a younger version of the character? And like The Godfather and Brando, the aged up stuff works but I don't think you can really de-age a 75 year old guy.

Yeah the biggest problem is you can't de-age the way he moves. Super distracting.

Deniro's old ass doing the WWE beat up of the grocer took me out of the movie for a good few minutes. How the **** does that survive editing?

I felt bad for DeNiro. I hope they got that in one take because it looked hard on him.

I watched the first hour and a half last night. It's just ok to me. I'll watch the rest but I'm not excited about it.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,936

Post#1520 » by humanrefutation » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:14 pm

This weekend I watched the first five episodes of The Mandalorian and saw Ford v. Ferrari.

The Mandalorian:

Spoiler:
I think it's generally pretty fantastic, even if there remains a lot of open questions about the story and what's going on. It feels like the universe is clueless to the notion of "The Force" and Jedis and Sith and Luke and Vader, etc etc. Baby Yoda FTW, obviously. The scary AT-ST scene was dope.

I know I've seen complaints online that this show has "too much fanservice," but I think that's a stupid complaint.

Ford v. Ferrari:

Spoiler:
I'll be honest - I enjoyed it generally. Bale and Damon are great in it. But there's a 99% chance I'll never really think about it again. There's nothing about it that really makes it worth seeing again or really talking about much going forward. It's a racing movie with a lot of the classic plot points you'd expect from a racing movie. The unheralded driver. The "forces" united against him. The gorgeous doting spouse who fears for her man. The telegenic son who looks up to his daddy. The triumphant race. The sad twist. Tragedy. It hits all the notes but doesn't make you want to hear them again.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks