ImageImageImage

Welcome Tobias Harris

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Re: Welcome Tobias Harris 

Post#501 » by Wilfried » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:25 am

I don't care about his contract. You need to pay FA's to have them on your team.
I'm glad he's on our team. Guess he could be An All-Star this season.

Interested to see if Boston fans still laugh at us for paying him that money, now they got to see live how good a player he is and how good he fits our team.

He worked hard on his D this summer (he proclaimed), he seems a man of his word.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,687

Post#502 » by stormi » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:56 am

Wilfried wrote:I don't care about his contract. You need to pay FA's to have them on your team.

Interested to see if Boston fans still laugh at us for paying him that money, now they got to see live how good a player he is and how good he fits our team.

He worked hard on his D this summer (he proclaimed), he seems a man of his word.

His finishing around the rim is super underrated. He shoots really well over smaller guards and has a really nice touch above contesting big men. Loving Tobi this year
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Post#503 » by 76ciology » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:32 am

Ive said it. This is the time for Tobias to cement his position as the no.2 guy on this team. He is my most favorite player on this team.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,178

Post#504 » by M2J » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:39 am

stormi wrote:
Wilfried wrote:I don't care about his contract. You need to pay FA's to have them on your team.

His finishing around the rim is super underrated. He shots really well over smaller guards and has a really nice touch above contesting big men. Loving Tobi this year

I agree. His defense is a big improvement. I get most impressed by how well he rebounds in traffic. Bricks coming off the rim that even Joel bobbles and become loose balls, he catches them clean. Underrated trait.

His finishing around the room, is indeed better, as is the diversification of his drives. Finishes better with either hand than I remember. The team wants him to be a volume 3pt shooter, but he's amazing from mid range, and knows how to get those shots.

I've really been impressed with him and Richardson. Really will be interesting to see what this team becomes when they truly figure it out and fully define roles. The fluidity of the starters being in and out for stretches had prevented that, or at least from me believing this is how they'll end up. Really interested in seeing how comfortable Tobias and Josh are with stepping up when everybody is healthy, and how will Ben fit in
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,739

Post#505 » by phillynative » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:12 am

One thing we dont take in to account is how mature he is. Our two best guys lack some of that.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#506 » by 76ciology » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:16 am

phillynative wrote:One thing we dont take in to account is how mature he is. Our two best guys lack some of that.

What our two best guys lack is the ability to be a 3 level scorer. That is the thing that separates Tobi from those 2
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#507 » by phillynative » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:25 am

76ciology wrote:
phillynative wrote:One thing we dont take in to account is how mature he is. Our two best guys lack some of that.

What our two best guys lack is the ability to be a 3 level scorer. That is the thing that separates Tobi from those 2

And yet he still is not as talented as them.

If tobi could get to the rim more consistently i would consider him a 3 level scorer. Right now i dont consider him as that.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#508 » by 76ciology » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:54 pm

phillynative wrote:
76ciology wrote:

If tobi could get to the rim more consistently i would consider him a 3 level scorer. Right now i dont consider him as that.

Whats the right metric system to weigh how talented a player is?
papajoe
Junior
And1: 360

Post#509 » by papajoe » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:07 pm

Been our most consistent player this season.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Post#510 » by Kobblehead » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:17 pm

It's looking like a lock that he gets his first allstar bid this year.

They usually take more than 1 person off the high seeded teams. There's no way Simmons or Horford are getting back to the game. I could see Tobias as the guy who joins Embiid. Well-deserved.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#511 » by mithrandir17 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:30 pm

76ciology wrote:
phillynative wrote:
76ciology wrote:

it's the 2k rating for sure.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#512 » by phillynative » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:20 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
phillynative wrote:

it's the 2k rating for sure.

Yup
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#513 » by XDevilBoiX » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Kobblehead wrote:It's looking like a lock that he gets his first allstar bid this year.

They usually take more than 1 person off the high seeded teams. There's no way Simmons or Horford are getting back to the game. I could see Tobias as the guy who joins Embiid. Well-deserved.

He needs to keep playing like he has to lock up a spot. He’s been stepping up as a 2nd scoring option and it’s great. Probably getting more comfortable and realize what his role here is now.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#514 » by eagereyez » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:26 am

I thought Harris would improve defensively - he was pretty bad last year and had the tools to be better. That said, I did not expect him to become a defensive stalwart. If he keeps up his defense then he legitimately might be the second best player on the team, which is good in the sense that he has improved, bad in the sense that Simmons hasn't taken that next step yet.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,828

Post#515 » by XtremeDunkz » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:18 am

eagereyez wrote:I thought Harris would improve defensively - he was pretty bad last year and had the tools to be better. That said, I did not expect him to become a defensive stalwart. If he keeps up his defense then he legitimately might be the second best player on the team, which is good in the sense that he has improved, bad in the sense that Simmons hasn't taken that next step yet.

Hes already way better than Simmons.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#516 » by LloydFree » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:08 am

Tobias Harris is overpaid but I don't really care about his contract. The 76ers were already over the cap when they signed him. And assuming health, his contract won't be much of an issue until after the 4th year, when Embiid's contract runs out.

Tobias' contract is no worse than what CJ McCollum's contract has been the last few years. And the 76ers probably need Tobias' skillset more than Portland has needed McCollum's skillset.

But wait until someone jumps out there and maxes out Brandon Ingram and Boston maxes out Jason Tatum. They'll be paying those guys to do the exact same thing that Tobias Harris does. and nobody will blink.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#517 » by BullyKing » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:35 pm

LloydFree wrote:

Tobias Harris is overpaid but I don't really care about his contract. The 76ers were already over the cap when they signed him. And assuming health, his contract won't be much of an issue until after the 4th year, when Embiid's contract runs out.

Tobias' contract is no worse than what CJ McCollum's contract has been the last few years. And the 76ers probably need Tobias' skillset more than Portland has needed McCollum's skillset.

But wait until someone jumps out there and maxes out Brandon Ingram and Boston maxes out Jason Tatum. They'll be paying those guys to do the exact same thing that Tobias Harris does. and nobody will blink.

Agree with Lloyd here. Contracts are about the context. It might not make sense for an expansion team to devote $35 million to a Tobias-type player but that isn't our situation. Contending teams need to use every opportunity to improve their team and one of those is the ability to exceed the cap to resign guys. If it leads to us not resigning Richardson because Josh Harris won't pay the tax bill, then it becomes a problem. Otherwise, who cares?
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Ray1982
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#518 » by Ray1982 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Wow he’s really turning it on.

He’s taking his game to a whole new level.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#519 » by Sixerscan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:31 pm

24.9 PPG so far in December, only game under 20 the whole month was 15 points in 22 minutes in the Cleveland blowout. Played a bunch of good defenses this month too. Scoring points, playing defense and winning games, can't ask for much more.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Post#520 » by Kobblehead » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:56 pm

I was going to say, during this month of December, he looks a lot like prime Melo. Similar production, eerily similar basketball moves and playstyle.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers