S&T With New Orleans: The Devonte Graham Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,302

Re: Golden: the Devonte Graham Thread 

Post#201 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:51 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:I dont know why we're rosterbating over what could have been when we couldn't have asked for a better outcome with Graham.

Saying "we could have been the 7 seed" isn't exactly rosterbating.

Not gonna play semantics with you Ben. Devonté worked out best case scenario. It makes it easier for me to move on from Kemba and Lamb. I'm not sitting around stuffing Devonté back on the bench.
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,548

Post#202 » by yosemiteben » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:37 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:I dont know why we're rosterbating over what could have been when we couldn't have asked for a better outcome with Graham.

Saying "we could have been the 7 seed" isn't exactly rosterbating.

Not gonna play semantics with you Ben. Devonté worked out best case scenario. It makes it easier for me to move on from Kemba and Lamb. I'm not sitting around stuffing Devonté back on the bench.

I think we completely botched Kemba in an indefensible way and would prefer that he was still here. I haven't moved on from thinking that we, as an organization, showed a startling like of planning with how that situation was handled.

With that said, I'm thrilled with how Devonte has developed.

These two concepts aren't mutually exclusive.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#203 » by DY_nasty » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:07 pm

Lamb and Graham would've been really nice, but oh well. I think everyone's happier having moved on tbh
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#204 » by BlackOutBuzz » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:31 pm

They botched the Kemba situation but the end result was probably ideal for both parties. Devonte' has given us 95% of Kemba's impact at 5% of the cost, plus he's a better fit for the young roster.

Obviously we all wanted some type of compensation - well, other than Rozier - but I do think this is the direction the team (and Kemba) needed to take.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#205 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Should make an all star thread for him.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#206 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:05 pm

I heard top offers for Kemba were mid-late first rounder. If Kupchak can flip Rozier for comparable assets then it's peak return for Kemba. I don't think anyone expected Devonté to be starting caliber this early in the Rozier contract.

Compared to Kemba in a vacuum, Devonté + 30 million is more valuable. It's not close.

Even though Kupchak did not anticipate this level of leap from Devonté, he did trade back for extra second rounders and traded up for Devonté. He immediately declared they evaluated Devonté as a first rounder. They likely had him pretty high on their draft board.

The narrative that this front office lucked into Devonté and botched plans for a replacement doesn't resonate with me. Serious scouting brought us to where we are with Devonté. His college game always fit the modern NBA. And we were always going young and needing a better playmaker than Kemba.

We brought in Parker to groom Devonté.

A series of intelligent and purposeful moves brought us here.
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,548

Post#207 » by yosemiteben » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:30 am

We are paying a PG almost $20 each of the next three seasons for no real reason. The only reason we have said PG is because we let Kemba become an UFA with no serious plans to retain him and then the team he wanted to go to at the time thought they needed a S&T.

There was nothing intelligent about that series of decisions.

Kupchak clearly hit a home run on Graham and I'm thrilled he did, but there's no need to sugar coat this past off-season.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,284

Post#208 » by Hornet Mania » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:48 pm

To be honest I still believe it was the stupid bathroom bill that **** us over and made it so that we 'couldn't' trade Kemba when it was the logical time to do it.

If the ASG had been in Charlotte when it was originally intended I think it's a strong possibility management would have bit the bullet and traded Kemba last January/February since they were aware they would not be willing to pay the tax. Instead the ASG is moved to 2019, after the trade deadline. At that point MJ has the choice to either trade the face of the franchise and incite a fan revolt in full view of the entire NBA (at an event the city won't host again for 25yrs at best) or let things ride out and make this big event a success but also lose Kemba for nothing. I think he took into consideration the business aspects and decided his desire to have a successful ASG outweighed his desire to get a 1st round pick for Kemba. In my fantasy owner scenario I'd just let the revolt happen and take the pick but in reality almost no owner will ever choose what's best for basketball over what's best for his wallet.

Sorry to throw the Graham thread OT, just think it's overly simplistic to say management mishandled the Kemba situation without mentioning the context that made it a lose/lose proposition. It was a lot more complicated than management just not thinking ahead.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#209 » by BigSlam » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:04 pm

Interesting to see how Tae responded to the Bulls swarming him last night when he had the ball and totally taking his out of his game.

He did not respond well forcing his own offence and being ineffective.

He’s going to have to get used to that.

I look forward to seeing how he adjusts.

Thankfully he’s an excellent and willing passer - so that’ll help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#210 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:07 pm

Last night Devonte' definitely tried to hero ball his way out of pressure, committing a whopping 7 turnovers. He's still clutch though. All the ingredients are there for him becoming the bedrock of this rebuild.
It has been written...
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,595

Post#211 » by NCHeels2008 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:29 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:I heard top offers for Kemba were mid-late first rounder. If Kupchak can flip Rozier for comparable assets then it's peak return for Kemba. I don't think anyone expected Devonté to be starting caliber this early in the Rozier contract.

Compared to Kemba in a vacuum, Devonté + 30 million is more valuable. It's not close.

Even though Kupchak did not anticipate this level of leap from Devonté, he did trade back for extra second rounders and traded up for Devonté. He immediately declared they evaluated Devonté as a first rounder. They likely had him pretty high on their draft board.

The narrative that this front office lucked into Devonté and botched plans for a replacement doesn't resonate with me. Serious scouting brought us to where we are with Devonté. His college game always fit the modern NBA. And we were always going young and needing a better playmaker than Kemba.

We brought in Parker to groom Devonté.

A series of intelligent and purposeful moves brought us here.

If Mitch was that confident on Devonte he could've brought in a cheaper backup PG option than Terry
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#212 » by DY_nasty » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:40 pm

We brought in Parker to groom Devonte breh WUT
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,564

Post#213 » by fatlever » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:58 pm

From now on I'm just going to have a mental block on the 2018 Draft when it comes to where our players were drafted. I think I'll just pretend that we traded with the Clippers to move back one spot to draft Graham and picked up an extra second round pick that we took a flyer on some kid from Michigan State.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,127

Post#214 » by Braggins » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:52 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Braggins wrote:I think they'd easily be a 7th seed right now and within striking distance of 5th/6th

AKA the Hornets special.

Being a legit 5-7 seed with tons of cap coming off the books and your two of your four best players being a sophomore and a rookie is a solid place to be. It would have been the best position the franchise had been in since I started following.
Radu_Hornets
Rookie
And1: 325

Post#215 » by Radu_Hornets » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:42 am

I do believe the last two "bad" games from Graham are due to the new media exposure he got recently.

However I feel that he is a high confidence guy that will quickly get accustomed to that.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#216 » by DY_nasty » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:14 pm

Radu_Hornets wrote:I do believe the last two "bad" games from Graham are due to the new media exposure he got recently.

However I feel that he is a high confidence guy that will quickly get accustomed to that.

He started getting blitzed after week 3. Its the mileage that's running up on him now. We might get another good game from another wing once every 3 games. Dude's probably exhausted more than anything else.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 861

Post#217 » by Chapelchilla » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:57 pm

DY_nasty wrote:We brought in Parker to groom Devonte breh WUT

That is a fact, it's not even debate-able dude
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#218 » by 316Hornets » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:32 pm

Devonte has been tested pretty heavily lately. He has to get used to the NBA grind. Some duds are expected and I hope he keeps a positive attitude and fights through the slumps. The nice thing about having Rozier here is that he is used to the support role and can help keep Devonte from overexerting himself.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#219 » by DY_nasty » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:20 pm

Chapelchilla wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:We brought in Parker to groom Devonte breh WUT

That is a fact, it's not even debate-able dude

Parker was brought in to be Kemba's back up and hopefully bring some real cohesive energy off the bench, not groom a second round pick.

Unless I'm missing some amazing sarcasm. I'm still happy that Parker came and went without sleeping with anyone's wife for more than anything.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#220 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:58 am

Theres no way Parker was brought in here to groom Graham. He was brought in simply because everyone thought Graham wasnt even ready to be a backup.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.

Return to Charlotte Hornets