VCfor3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

He's shooting 45% from 3 on 7 apg.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Re: Around the NBA News and Notes 

Post#4 » by Whole Truth » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:51 pm

OKC are ready to tank, move their vets, Paul & Heat have interest in Iggy, with no assets ...
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Whole Truth » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:03 pm

Bleacher report has an article stating Heat would like to shed salary. Heat have 2 players currently that are making considerable money, that aren't even playing. Johnson 15m 2yr's, Waiters 12m 2yrs.. is 27m in dead weight contracts.

In the article Heats Ira says they will most likely have to part with a young player or pick to clear that salary but Heat owe their 21, 23 firsts to OKC & are doubtful to trade their productive youth. Leaving Jones JR who has a 9 per in 16mins & KZ Okpala.

Heat have also been linked to 2 names now, with Love's name thrown in the mix, that have massive contracts along with being aged/injured players that reduce their current court value than what it would otherwise be. Where Heat's main weapon in trade is taking on salary for lesser bad contracts..

Now linked to Memphis' Iggy, who's 17m expiring, with no real assets to offer. (I keep thinking potential 3 way deal).

Paul - 2020 41m, 2021 44m, 80m total over the next 2 seasons.
Love - 2020 31m, 2021 31m, 2022 29m, 90m over the next 3 seasons

See a pattern?. Bleacher reports Heat want to dump salary, Heat have interest in 2 overpaid Vets who's salary decrease their trade value, probing Memphis for Iggy, who just happens to be a 17m expiring.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Whole Truth » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:09 pm

According to a report from The Athletic, frustration has been building within the Hawks organization, as the team has lost 11 of its last 13 games.

Help could be on the way, according to The Athletic:

After a 130-118 home loss to Brooklyn on Wednesday, one high-ranking team official was seen telling Young that the team would be getting him some help on the roster soon, according to multiple sources. The trade deadline is about two months away.

https://clutchpoints.com/hawks-rumors-atlanta-plans-to-give-trae-young-roster-help-at-trade-deadline-to-ease-frustrations/

The Athletic speculates, forward help. Adams/Love maybe...
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:19 pm

Hawks fanbase has been on the edge of our collective seats over the past 48 hours trying to decipher what happened and what it means going forward.

Even more confusing, the team Beat Writer from The Athletic has disputed the Shams report:

Read on Twitter
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:31 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Hawks fanbase has been on the edge of our collective seats over the past 48 hours trying to decipher what happened and what it means going forward.

Even more confusing, the team Beat Writer from The Athletic has disputed the Shams report:

Read on Twitter

Hawks need to be careful, this situation can back fire both ways. It's not ideal to make moves from a place of desperation or disarray.

Ideally the trade forward should be made after the young core is proving itself, not just one player. Kind of reminds me of when Colangelo tried to force build around Bosh & cut the process short. Leading to the Philly mantra of trusting the process.

Patience is a virtue, if the ideal fit is available to pair young with go for it. If not, in my opinion Hawks should exercise patience. Winning next year, will erase this years memory. It's never good to deal from a place of desperation.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Whole Truth » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:34 pm

Jam, what Hawks main weakness/priority?.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:45 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Jam, what Hawks main weakness/priority?

Hawks coaches, players and fanbase came in hoping (expecting) to win 35+ games and flirt with a playoff appearance.

But Hawks GM and front office have openly stated that we are still in talent acquisition phase, trying to develop young guys and looking to maintain flexibility for trades and Free Agent signings in the future.

On the court: defense, shooting and a backup play-maker behind Trae are severely lacking.
The team could also use another wing player capable of creating for himself or others.

We were at least competitive with Trae and John Collins on the court together. The hope (expectation) is that we can give teams a run for their money when Collins returns in two weeks from suspension.

Hawks still project to have two 1st rounders and $70+ million in cap space next summer. It's unlikely we'd do anything to compromise any of that unless it garnered a top young player under long-term contract in return. (Think JJJ, Wendell Carter, Ben Simmons.)
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#11 » by SD2042 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:07 pm

With the Hawks, they are still young and are still developing their roster right now. In-spite of what their record states, if a move is to be made, be sure it's for the benefit of the team and not reactionary or emotional. If the Hawks need to make a move here, I would go for a young vet or two who's likely entering their prime and could be a solid asset to the team roster. Keep in mind this potential move or moves is not about boosting the Hawks chances to the playoffs. Rather put the team in the direction to improve this season in hopes to add stability and cohesion to get the team on the road to the playoffs next year.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Whole Truth » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:12 pm

SD2042 wrote:With the Hawks, they are still young and are still developing their roster right now. In-spite of what their record states, if a move is to be made, be sure it's for the benefit of the team and not reactionary or emotional. If the Hawks need to make a move here, I would go for a young vet or two who's likely entering their prime and could be a solid asset to the team roster. Keep in mind this potential move or moves is not about boosting the Hawks chances to the playoffs. Rather put the team in the direction to improve this season in hopes to add stability and cohesion to get the team on the road to the playoffs next year.

Here's the quote from the athletic.

"After a 130-118 home loss to Brooklyn on Wednesday, one high-ranking team official was seen telling Young that the team would be getting him some help on the roster soon, according to multiple sources. The trade deadline is about two months away".

This reads more like an attempt at appeasement to me. Catering solely to Young most likely out of fear their young star becomes disenchanted with losing.

Both you & Jam have a more rational take of the situation than the one the Athletic article/quote paints.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#13 » by VCfor3 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:41 am

I could see Atlanta going after Myles Turner. Maybe Indiana would bite thanks to Goga playing fairly well.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#14 » by SD2042 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:05 am

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:With the Hawks, they are still young and are still developing their roster right now. In-spite of what their record states, if a move is to be made, be sure it's for the benefit of the team and not reactionary or emotional. If the Hawks need to make a move here, I would go for a young vet or two who's likely entering their prime and could be a solid asset to the team roster. Keep in mind this potential move or moves is not about boosting the Hawks chances to the playoffs. Rather put the team in the direction to improve this season in hopes to add stability and cohesion to get the team on the road to the playoffs next year.

Here's the quote from the athletic.

"After a 130-118 home loss to Brooklyn on Wednesday, one high-ranking team official was seen telling Young that the team would be getting him some help on the roster soon, according to multiple sources. The trade deadline is about two months away".

This reads more like an attempt at appeasement to me. Catering solely to Young most likely out of fear their young star becomes disenchanted with losing.

Both you & Jam have a more rational take of the situation than the one the Athletic article/quote paints.

In this case, I can understand needing to keep the young locker room intact morale wise to keep from losing it. What the Hawks as a whole need to understand is that a masterpiece like the Sistine Chapel cannot be created in a week's time. It's takes planning, creation, moves, structure and motivation in order for everything to work out. If the process skips some beats, they will miss out on the most important thing(s) that could hold the hold thing together.

It's easier said than done, but appreciate the growing pains of what life gives you. Sometimes, in order to enjoy the success of life, you must appreciate the struggles you go through to get there in the first place.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#15 » by SD2042 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:05 am

VCfor3 wrote:I could see Atlanta going after Myles Turner. Maybe Indiana would bite thanks to Goga playing fairly well.

Everytime I see Myles Turner's name, it makes me wish the Magic drafted him over Mario Hezonja all day just a few short years ago. :banghead:

Myles has the game and age range to fit in with the Hawks. Another center I was thinking of as well is Steven Adams. Vet wise has been in the game longer than Turner. Plus the Hawks have assets to consider trading for Adams.

Here's an open debate:

I know it's still early on draft selections. My preference is James Wiseman to draft. Let's say the Grizzlies as a scenario ends up with the fifth or sixth pick in the draft. Let's say they were to trade the pick for a player based on available cap space.

What your you say if the Grizzlies were to trade the fifth or six pick to Indy for Myles Turner if said scenario were to happen?
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Whole Truth » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:42 pm

SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I could see Atlanta going after Myles Turner. Maybe Indiana would bite thanks to Goga playing fairly well.

Everytime I see Myles Turner's name, it makes me wish the Magic drafted him over Mario Hezonja all day just a few short years ago. :banghead:

Myles has the game and age range to fit in with the Hawks. Another center I was thinking of as well is Steven Adams. Vet wise has been in the game longer than Turner. Plus the Hawks have assets to consider trading for Adams.

Here's an open debate:

I know it's still early on draft selections. My preference is James Wiseman to draft. Let's say the Grizzlies as a scenario ends up with the fifth or sixth pick in the draft. Let's say they were to trade the pick for a player based on available cap space.

What your you say if the Grizzlies were to trade the fifth or six pick to Indy for Myles Turner if said scenario were to happen?

For me if Memphis were considering dealing the top 5 pick, I'd be targeting Beal with it. I think Memphis are set at the forward positions with Clarke & 3J who's a younger better version of Turner. Washington need a rebuild in Beal's prime years, Memphis need a scoring guard who can create, space the floor. Memphis can offer Washington, cap space, the potential top 5 pick, Utah 1-4 2022, GS 1-4 2024 as a rebuilding package.

Starting unit - 3J / Clarke / Josh / Beal / Ja

Bench unit - Jonas / Anderson / Bruno / Brooks / Melton
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#17 » by SD2042 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:56 am

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

Here's an open debate:

For me if Memphis were considering dealing the top 5 pick, I'd be targeting Beal with it. I think Memphis are set at the forward positions with Clarke & 3J who's a younger better version of Turner. Washington need a rebuild in Beal's prime years, Memphis need a scoring guard who can create, space the floor. Memphis can offer Washington, cap space, the potential top 5 pick, Utah 1-4 2022, GS 1-4 2024 as a rebuilding package.

Starting unit - 3J / Clarke / Josh / Beal / Ja

Bench unit - Jonas / Anderson / Bruno / Brooks / Melton

It's not a bad idea. Technically, Beal would be going from one rebuilding team to another. The only difference is that the Grizzlies rebuild will be going into year two with the potential possibility of adding a couple of key free agents. It's all up to them on how they plan the future of the franchise.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#18 » by VCfor3 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:52 am

SD2042 wrote:

Here's an open debate:

Honestly I'd currently be okay with moving the 5th/6th pick for Turner. You could have JJJ/Clarke/Turner cover pretty much all of the 4/5 minutes and could then go after an elite 2/3 in FA in the summer of 2021. If Clarke can occasionally play SF then that would be an insane defensive group.

Ask me this again as the draft is rolling around and it may be a different answer though. I may have someone I really like at that point and may prefer that player to Turner.

I also would be down to move 5/6 for Beal currently and would give Washington a call prior to Indiana even though Beal can't be traded yet. I just would be a little hesitant to trade a top 2/3 pick for Beal and would really be hesitant to move the #1 pick without additional value coming back.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#19 » by SD2042 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:45 am

VCfor3 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

Here's an open debate:

Honestly I'd currently be okay with moving the 5th/6th pick for Turner. You could have JJJ/Clarke/Turner cover pretty much all of the 4/5 minutes and could then go after an elite 2/3 in FA in the summer of 2021. If Clarke can occasionally play SF then that would be an insane defensive group.

Ask me this again as the draft is rolling around and it may be a different answer though. I may have someone I really like at that point and may prefer that player to Turner.

I also would be down to move 5/6 for Beal currently and would give Washington a call prior to Indiana even though Beal can't be traded yet. I just would be a little hesitant to trade a top 2/3 pick for Beal and would really be hesitant to move the #1 pick without additional value coming back.

It's early for sure. Mainly the reason why I created the question above to generate some early responses. Like yourself, opinions are subject to change. I personally am pulling for Wiseman as I'm still evaluating the other players for now. Turner or Beal are possible trade targets for the upcoming off-season draft if the worst case scenario were to happen later on next May.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Whole Truth » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:06 pm

Clippers are being linked to Thad Young.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies