Grizzlies Trade Thread

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Grizzlies Trade Thread 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Wed Dec 4, 2019 3:07 am

This thread is to be dedicated to all trades involving the Grizzlies. All debates are welcome.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Re: Grizzlies Trade Thread 

Post#2 » by Whole Truth » Thu Dec 5, 2019 4:18 pm

A team is only as strong as it's weakest link or in Memphis' case, weakest links.

Last year, the best basketball player in the world couldn't lift the Lakers into the playoffs. They had poor shooting/spacing, poor depth & too many weak links costing them possessions. This year they have 3 centre's Howard, McGee & Davis. They improved their defense, shooting & IQ, with additions like Davis & Green etc..

With Memphis owing a pick, most likely next year. The 20yo Jackson is showing he's not as far along the development trail as hoped. So when Memphis is looking to convey, Jackson will mostly likely be ironing out his game. That leaves Clarke & Ja, who has some question marks defensively, as Memphis top young players. Combined with several weak spots in the roster, I think Memphis need more than anything a consolidation trade & my target would be CP3. Here's why.

CP3 has 2yrs left, with Memphis most likely owing their pick nest year. Targeting him in a consolidation trade could accomplish 3 things.

1, For his salary dump, OKC could part with a pick or 2.
2, He could also be a positive asset on court in helping to convey the pick with a youngish roster.
3, Memphis reduce the weak links from roster combining them with the expiring value.

Do like the Raptors (Lowry/FVV) & play JA & Paul together as to not stunt Ja's development. Maybe Paul could teach Ja a thing or 2.

Memphis trade (Iggy 17m, Crowder 7.8m, Tyus 9.2m 3yrs, Allen 2.4m) = 36.4m to OKC for (Paul 36m 3yrs, Pick/s)

OKC receive 25m in expiring value, a young SG in Allen on rookie scale & a small bad contract in Tyus which is saving OKC 50m total in their rebuild.

For the duration of Paul's contract.

Year 1 - Nets Memphis a pick for expiring value.
Year 2 - His court value helps to convey the pick
Year 3 - He's 36m expiring. Which could also be a trade filler for a star in a pick based deal.

For me If OKC is offering a pick or 2 to dump Paul's contract, he'd be my target for the reasons stated.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#3 » by VCfor3 » Fri Dec 6, 2019 12:55 am

What if Paul comes in and costs the Grizzlies a top 6 pick this draft (or was that the plan?)? Or what if he takes away from Ja's development since Paul likes to have the ball in his hands? It is hard to see him taking a back seat to a rookie so I'd be concerned about fit though he'd definitely help us convey a lower pick. I also don't see OKC who is in a rebuild themselves give up a decent 1st or especially multiple 1sts to clear salary.

I think we may do better moving those guys in different deals. I still am hoping for the potential Iggy to Toronto deal since that nets a 1st or Iggy to Dallas if we can get the GSW 2nd. Crowder feels like a player some team would want and his salary is much easier to move than Iggy's. Maybe Crowder+2nd for Harkless+LAC 1st? Combine the Toronto and LAC picks to move up and grab Okoro? Tyus is more challenging but maybe Atlanta would have interest? They need more playmaking on their team since Trae can't do it all. Portland is another team I'd call and see if we have vets that they'd have enough interest in to move their 1st for.

I like the idea of taking a salary dump for picks but I don't see OKC making it worth it to us.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Whole Truth » Fri Dec 6, 2019 11:20 am

VCfor3 wrote:What if Paul comes in and costs the Grizzlies a top 6 pick this draft (or was that the plan?)? Or what if he takes away from Ja's development since Paul likes to have the ball in his hands? It is hard to see him taking a back seat to a rookie so I'd be concerned about fit though he'd definitely help us convey a lower pick. I also don't see OKC who is in a rebuild themselves give up a decent 1st or especially multiple 1sts to clear salary.

I think we may do better moving those guys in different deals. I still am hoping for the potential Iggy to Toronto deal since that nets a 1st or Iggy to Dallas if we can get the GSW 2nd. Crowder feels like a player some team would want and his salary is much easier to move than Iggy's. Maybe Crowder+2nd for Harkless+LAC 1st? Combine the Toronto and LAC picks to move up and grab Okoro? Tyus is more challenging but maybe Atlanta would have interest? They need more playmaking on their team since Trae can't do it all. Portland is another team I'd call and see if we have vets that they'd have enough interest in to move their 1st for.

I like the idea of taking a salary dump for picks but I don't see OKC making it worth it to us.

It's easier to tank talent, than it is to win without it. There are many methods in which Memphis could use to tank the year. It's my belief judging by Jenkins rotations & subs, they're already implementing some of those methods, keeping pace with the bottom half. This team, is not a bottom 6 team.

Isn't Paul currently playing in cohesion with a tanking roster & SGA?. Whereas next year Memphis' goal would be playoffs & to convey a non lotto pick. + the alternative to that concern is that Paul could be a mentor Ja. If not vocally, by example.

OKC have 8 or 9 picks, they cannot make use of all those picks on court. That's trade capital.

OKC is a small market that traded Harden when they were in the midst of contention to save money, in order to retain Ibaka. They won't trade a pick/s to dump 50m in a rebuild?. Where Paul's court value, makes it harder to tank.

It doesn't have to be a lotto projected pick either because Memphis are getting other positive value out of the trade, though obviously the lotto pick is preferred. OKC could supplement the value with 2-3 picks estimated in the mid draft & I'd think it worth it because of Memphis unique situation of conveying a owed pick in the middle of a rebuild.

OKC pick capital

- Denver 2020 1st 1-10 protected 2020-22, if not conveyed by then 2 2nd round picks. It's most likely a late 2020 first.
- Miami 2021 1st where OKC get the 2 most valuable 2021 1sts including Houston.
- Houston 2021 1st where OKC get the 2 most valuable 2021 1sts including Miami, protected 1-4
- Clippers 2023 1st unprotected
- Miami 2023 1st, right to swap
- Houston 2024 1st, 1-4 protected
- Clippers 2024 1st, right to swap
- 2025 OKC have the right to swap Houston/Clippers 1-10 protected
- Houston 2026 1st, 1-4 protected
- Clippers 2026 1st, unprotected

Between these picks plus OKC own picks, there's no way they can field all. OKC received 2 Houston 1-4 protected picks & 2 rights to swap for a Westbrook equally salary swap.

For a 50m salary dump, I'm asking for 1 Houston 1st 1-4 protected either 24/26 & Denver's 2020 1st.

This would be the trade benefits for Memphis

1- 2 picks
2- Paul's court value in trying to convey 2021
3- consolidation where they can bring up 2J, dump weak links, rectify the Tyus signing
4- Paul would be a large 36m expiring the following year

By netting the late Denver pick, depending on what happens with Utah's 7-15 owed = potential trade up in 2020 draft.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#5 » by SD2042 » Sat Dec 7, 2019 7:30 pm

I get where you're coming from Truth in terms of CP3 and the idea of the Thunder may have to throw in a FRP to move him. My question is how desperate is the Thunder willing to move him now? If this was the summer, I say it's extremely possible. Now with how things are going for them and CP3, I can't say the desperation may be the same as it was in the summer. It's still possible that 1 FRP will be leaving with CP3, but 2 FRPs, I'n not too convince. Also, why would CP3 go from one rebuilding team to another one in-spite of the move being a business deal. CP3 although he's been a trooper may lose his cool with the Grizzlies locker room. His prolific career has been sensational to say the least. I'm on the train of thought that the Thunder will do right by CP3 and trade him to a playoff contender by February. I'm thinking Dallas or Minnesota at this point.

As for potential Grizzlies who could be on the move: Jae Crowder, Jonas Valanciunas, Andre Iguodala, (dark horse to be move: Kyle Anderson, DeAnthony Melton)

Teams I think could seek

Crowder: Blazers, Nuggets, Lakers, Bucks,
Valanciunas: Cavs, Kings?, Hornets?
Iggy: Blazers, Rockets, Clippers, Mavs,

Note: (I know KA has low value right now. Just pure speculation. I haven't look into teams for KA yet. Coming soon.)
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Whole Truth » Sat Dec 7, 2019 11:27 pm

SD2042 wrote:I get where you're coming from Truth in terms of CP3 and the idea of the Thunder may have to throw in a FRP to move him. My question is how desperate is the Thunder willing to move him now? If this was the summer, I say it's extremely possible. Now with how things are going for them and CP3, I can't say the desperation may be the same as it was in the summer. It's still possible that 1 FRP will be leaving with CP3, but 2 FRPs, I'n not too convince. Also, why would CP3 go from one rebuilding team to another one in-spite of the move being a business deal. CP3 although he's been a trooper may lose his cool with the Grizzlies locker room. His prolific career has been sensational to say the least. I'm on the train of thought that the Thunder will do right by CP3 and trade him to a playoff contender by February. I'm thinking Dallas or Minnesota at this point.

As for potential Grizzlies who could be on the move: Jae Crowder, Jonas Valanciunas, Andre Iguodala, (dark horse to be move: Kyle Anderson, DeAnthony Melton)

Teams I think could seek

Crowder: Blazers, Nuggets, Lakers, Bucks,
Valanciunas: Cavs, Kings?, Hornets?
Iggy: Blazers, Rockets, Clippers, Mavs,

Note: (I know KA has low value right now. Just pure speculation. I haven't look into teams for KA yet. Coming soon.)

I don't think or am I approaching the idea as if the Thunder are under any pressure to move Paul, though I could be wrong. If they were under pressure, it would take considerable pick value to move his 3yr 36m. If Memphis only manage to net the Houston pick alone I'd do the trade but I also don't see them quibbling over a late Denver 1st to move 50m in salary for what is a small market that has a history of being financially conscious.

Here's the key to the trade. The early Miami & Houston picks are not going to be as good as once thought for OKC, Miami is balling & Houston/Harden doesn't look ready to decline. So the only pick of potential value in the early rebuild for OKC, is their own & CP3 is working against that value, so it is possible there's a quiet pressure to move him besides the financial benefit. Pertaining to your question of why Paul would go from rebuilding team to rebuilding team. He isn't. Memphis after hopefully tanking for a top 6 pick 2020 would owe their 2021 pick to Boston unprotect, where they would have enough young talent on roster with 3J, Clarke, Ja, (potentially Josh 22), top 6 2020 pick, along with the acquired Utah pick 2022 1-4, GS 2024 1-4 & hopefully the targeted OKC/Houston 2024 or 6 1-4, which would supplement their change of direction to contention 2021. The 2 teams don't have the same goals 2021. CP3 would be heading to a Memphis team interested in cracking the playoffs & giving Boston the lowest pick possible.

Minnesota are not contenders, they can't even beat tanking teams consistently, 0-2 vs Memphis.

0-2 vs Memphis - who could be adding top 6 pick, CP3, Josh Jackson & have max money to throw around in free agency if they so choose. When Memphis put their ducks in a row, trim the fat & change their direction, I'll state it now, that they will have as good a chance as any at making the playoffs next year.

I think Jonas has more value to Memphis as big man depth, than in trade. I'd also move Tyus long before Melton. The only reason I have the veteran Crowder moving in trade is because he's an impending FA.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#7 » by VCfor3 » Sun Dec 8, 2019 7:15 pm

Expanding on the Iggy stuff with a little Crowder thrown in for Portland:

Teams I don't think will have interest - ATL, BOS, BKN, CHA, CLE, DET, GSW, IND, MIL (can't match salary/Hill playing well), NOP, OKC, PHI (can't match salary), SAS, UTA (can't match salary), and WAS

Teams maybe with interest and potential trades:
Dallas - Iggy for Lee+2nd or two (We will ask for the GSW 2nd but I don't know if Dallas will part with it unless there is a bidding war)
Denver - I'm not sure who they'd use to match salary. Plumlee is needed as their backup big, Barton is playing well, and Grant may be the least important of the three but would still leave a big of a hole.
Clippers - Harkless+Robinson/Kabengele
Houston - I can't see a way for them to match salary without giving up a key piece. Nene doesn't count as 10m so this seems an unlikely destination for Iggy.
Lakers - it is hard to see a way for them to match salary and incentivize us enough to clear the necessary roster spots
Miami - it would let them get off James Johnson and/or Dion Waiters but they are asset-poor
Minnesota - Teague+2nd for Iggy? Teague might be the better player right now...
New York - Their FO has to turn the season around or else they lose their jobs. Maybe they make a desperation play?
Orlando - matching salaries will be tough. Fournier is playing really well and he would have been the easiest filler. Ross or Aminu would have to be included and they are multi-year deals which I'm not sure Orlando would make it worth it to us to take on the extra years. We could try to add to the deal on our end and ask for Bamba, but I don't know if that would be worth it to us.
Phoenix - Tyler Johnson+2nd for Iggy? Maybe they'd like the extra vet leadership and playoff experience if they think they have a good shot at the 8th seed
Portland - Bazemore+2nd for Iggy or Bazemore+Hood+1st+2nd for Crowder+Iggy? Portland will be an interesting team to watch moving forward
Sacramento - Ariza+2nd for Iggy? Ariza may be a better fit with how they are constructed
Toronto - Powell+McCaw+1st for Iggy? Just running off a likely fabricated rumor

I think we will ultimately get something for Iggy but his contract makes things difficult. Toronto, Dallas, or Portland are who I think are the most likely to end up with Iggy.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Sun Dec 8, 2019 9:07 pm

Of the trades you listed Vic, I like the Clippers Harkless, Kabengele package. Doesn't hurt to have quality big man depth.

Concerning, Miami. With Paul's interest linked to them, why not help facilitate a trade with OKC?

Memphis trade - expiring contract/s, fillers for Johnson etc from Heat .. pick/s compensation from OKC.

Heat trade - their dead weight salary for Paul to maximize their playoff run.

OKC - receive Memphis expiring's instead of Heat's dead weight contracts for pick compensation. Save roughly 50m
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#9 » by VCfor3 » Mon Dec 9, 2019 12:34 am

I'd be down for that trade though you'd have to convince OKC since they may rather just eat that extra money and keep the pick. I'd even toss in Grayson Allen, Bruno Caboclo, or Marko Guduric if it helps ha.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Whole Truth » Mon Dec 9, 2019 12:41 pm

VCfor3 wrote:I'd be down for that trade though you'd have to convince OKC since they may rather just eat that extra money and keep the pick. I'd even toss in Grayson Allen, Bruno Caboclo, or Marko Guduric if it helps ha.

"The Thunder would love to trade Chris Paul before the trade deadline so they can hoard even more young talent and draft picks," Medina reported during the Reddit chat. "Teams are reluctant to acquire Paul given his age, injury history and contract, so that might not happen."

Nov 2, 2019

2 facts with the reason she gave being Thunder leveraging themselves, they're waiting for Dec 15 hoping his market will get broader. It won't.

As Memphis knows, most contending teams don't have the salary ballast to trade for Iggy's 17m, more less Paul's 36m without gutting their rosters. This is why I'm watching Iggy's value more as an expiring contract. OKC can buy him out & get under the luxury tax, while shaving 50m off of Westbrook/Paul's owed 100m in the start of their rebuild.

Minnesota, Heat come to mind as the only potential "contenders" that have the contracts they would or could consider moving without gutting their teams. The alternative to a contender trade, is a salary dump to a non contender, which would require pick compensation, as no non contender would have use for an ageing players court value & his massive contract, unless that team owe's their pick :D . Heat were their best hope, they're currently sitting 5th in the league & don't really need him, unless a deal is favorable to them.

(I saw a rumor several months ago that had the Heat asking for both their picks back & that is where the negotiating supposedly fell apart. I have Memphis asking for only 1 potential lotto pick & a late Denver 1st for 50m in expiring value (Iggy/Crowder), where Heat were giving them, 1 year off of Paul's contract, offering 2yrs of Johnson/Waiters .. while asking for both their owed picks back.

In showcasing Paul to recoup some of his value, OKC have an ageing veteran decreasing the value of their own pick in the first year of a rebuild. Where a salary dump, consolidation trade, can both improve their own pick & save them 50m.

They received 2 Houston 1st's & 2 rights to swap when they swapped the younger Westbrook for Paul (Equal salary) where Houston had their backs against the wall. I'm asking for 1 Houston pick & a late 1st (Denver 2020) for 50m savings, considering their small market. Thunder come out of trading Westbrook/Paul, with a lotto pick, 2 rights to swap, 50m in salary shed & no vet to showcase his value, decreasing the value of their own pick.

With this deal, Memphis could have 3 potential lottery picks (Houston 24/6, Utah 22, GS 24) outside a core of 3J, Ja, Clarke, hopefully Josh, top 6 pick 2020 when they switch gears into contention 2021 to utilize Paul's court value to help them convey their owed pick, with a goal to make the playoffs.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Whole Truth » Mon Dec 9, 2019 12:52 pm

Talking about Josh.

Concerning his free agent status. Memphis bringing him up would showcase him to the league, where if they don't, he would most likely have to sign a minimum contract to showcase himself next year. So I propose Memphis sign him somewhere between 1-5m 2yrs with a team option before calling him up to regain control of the situation.

This way at 23/4, Josh can still earn 2 extensions, while Memphis can get a better look at him, protecting themselves with a team option, along with being able to offer him more money than anyone else after they get a better read on him, if he needs to be retained..
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#12 » by VCfor3 » Mon Dec 9, 2019 9:53 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Talking about Josh.

Concerning his free agent status. Memphis bringing him up would showcase him to the league, where if they don't, he would most likely have to sign a minimum contract to showcase himself next year. So I propose Memphis sign him somewhere between 1-5m 2yrs with a team option before calling him up to regain control of the situation.

This way at 23/4, Josh can still earn 2 extensions, while Memphis can get a better look at him, protecting themselves with a team option, along with being able to offer him more money than anyone else after they get a better read on him, if he needs to be retained..

Josh missed a team meeting so is being held out/suspended for the next Hustle game. I'm not sure we will get to see him anytime soon unfortunately.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Whole Truth » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:39 am

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Talking about Josh.

Josh missed a team meeting so is being held out/suspended for the next Hustle game. I'm not sure we will get to see him anytime soon unfortunately.

:nonono:

I know this is not good but at the same time, he's 22 & potentially a talent/fit for Memphis. It'd be a shame to throw that potential away on a missed meeting. Concerning both parties.

Was there a reason given as to why he missed it?
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Whole Truth » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:55 am

Harkless/Kabengele doesn't work financially for Iggy unless there's a small filler included.
Harkless/Robinson however works financially.

I was thinking a 3 way deal with OKC where Harkless is flipped with either Hill or Crowder as expiring's for Paul/pick/s.

Clippers trade - (Harkless 11m, Robinson 3.5m, 3.5m TE) 13.5m for (Iggy 17m)

OKC trade - (Paul 38m, Houston FRP 1-4 24/6, Denver FRP 2020) for (Hill 12.7m 1y, Harkless 11m 1y, Jones 9.2m, Guduric 2.6m)

Memphis trade - (Iggy 17m, Hill 12.7m, Jones 9.2m, Guduric 2.6m) for (Paul, Robinson, Houston FRP 1-4 24/6, Denver FRP 2020)
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Whole Truth » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:27 pm

According to the Ringer's Kevin O'Connor. The Grizzlies will trade Iguodala, it's only a matter of when and to whom. According to a source, Memphis is open to any type of trade package, including deals that bring back a long-term salary".

According to The Athletic's Shams Charania, the Grizzlies are hoping to get a first-round pick in exchange for Iguodala.

I thought Kevin's statement interesting, considering Iggy has been mostly linked to contenders to date. Outside of Paul, what other teams/bad contracts could land Memphis a pick for Iggy/their expiring contracts?.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#16 » by VCfor3 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:17 pm

The same thing was said about OKC and I think CLE, but the problem is that there aren't many bad contracts and that the few there are are either on a team looking to rebuild or on a team lacking assets. No one has both extra assets and incentive to dump someone.

Miami was exploring trading for Iggy and has bad contracts in Waiters and Johnson, but they have few assets and can't take on additional salary in any deal. Most of their young guys are off limits and the earliest first they can trade is half a decade away. I'd think they'd want to save that pick for when they are better set to contend in a year or two.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#17 » by VCfor3 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:22 pm

Two trades by NYG that I thought were fair:
NYG wrote:Brooklyn Nets get:
Jae Crowder
Less Favorable of 2020 Grizzlies or Bulls Second Round Draft Pick (via Bulls)

Chicago Bulls get:
Rodions Kurucs
Wilson Chandler

Memphis Grizzlies get:
Cristiano Felicio
Dzanan Musa
2020 Lottery Protected Philadelphia 76ers First Round Draft Pick

Nets get a scorer at forward for essentially a downgrade from a late first to an early second, but would get the help now instead of having to wait until the draft.

Bulls do Bulls things a.k.a. ownership saves a ton of money.

Grizzlies see if they can make anything of Musa, but get a first that should convey for their troubles of replacing Crowder with Felicio to help with the rebuild.

=====

Dallas Mavericks get:
Andre Iguodala

Memphis Grizzlies get:
Courtney Lee
2020 Golden State Warriors Second Round Draft Pick

Mavericks get a veteran leader in the locker room that fills a defensive wing need without going crazy.

Grizzlies would add essentially another first round draft pick because the Warriors second should be top 35 to the 76ers first they got from the Crowder deal above.

We'd end up with a super early 2nd and a really late 1st for our two vets while eating the last year of Felicio. That may be the best we can do.

(Trade idea found at https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1918554)
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Whole Truth » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:38 pm

The Nets/Bulls trade is not bad but I think Memphis can do better with their near 40m in expiring value. There has to be a few teams besides the Raptors who have their eyes set on Giannis where shedding salary would be a priority for them. Heat come to mind but they have no assets of interest their willing to trade. Jones JR is shooting 16% from 3 & has a per of 9 in 16mins of playing time.

The Mavs win their suggested trade but with C.Lee expiring, Memphis could nab the second rounder & still flip Lee as an expiring contract. So I'd combine that potential trade, with a 3rd team salary dump.

Concerning the Heat's interest in Iggy. They're also linked to 2 massive contracts in Paul & Love where I'm sure either of those teams would prefer Iggy's expiring contract to 2yrs of dead weight salary, where neither Heat player is currently playing. Waiters recently suspended by them for 6 games.. if Memphis aren't getting a quality 1st from the Heats interest in Iggy, they will have to get either OKC/Cavs to bite on their dead weight contracts.. where as, at least Paul has some court value for OKC, that shedding one year with 2 worse contracts, don't make it worth it for OKC to include any pick value.

In comparison, Memphis could theoretically save OKC 60+m with their expiring contracts. Where there's a clear benefit for them in parting with pick compensation. Memphis could choose to keep Paul with them looking to convey next season or facilitate the Heat's interest in him to dump his 3rd year.

Personally, I think Memphis are in a position to take advantage of the situation. They could theoretically do like the Raptors & play Paul off guard to Ja as the primary ball handler in a 2 pg lineup. Paul has leadership qualities, he can defend & he adds more of what Memphis could use, shooting where Memphis would have to target shooters in FA next season anyway. Watch the deal like 20m for the pick value, 20 mil for his court value.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Whole Truth » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:32 pm

"No one wants CP3," an anonymous executive told Bleacher Report's Eric Pincus. "[Steven] Adams' contract is terrible. [Danilo Gallinari] is the only one that can bring something back."

Deciding to acquire Paul is committing to multiple years of him dominating the salary sheet. And for any hopeful contender, that's not a fiscally wise decision.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2867305-nba-trade-rumors-latest-news-on-chris-paul-kevin-love-and-more

It's common sense no contender can match 40m salary without gutting their roster. Despite all the reports that OKC will wait till offseason, lol, no contender is going to go after him in the offseason neither, unless he's bought out. OKC's best chance of dumping Paul to a contender was the Heat because they themselves had 30 something mil tied up in 2 players currently not playing for next season shaving only 1 year but IMO that ship has most likely sailed, unless a favorable deal for Miami. IMO, Heat need a post big more than a PG at this point.

The way I see it, OKC have 3 options

1, Buy him out
2, Keep him & ride out his contract even if it affects their ability to tank.
3, Use some of their massive pick cache to trade him for salary/financial relief.

With option 3 making the most sense IMO, considering how many picks OKC have obtained.

It makes even more sense. Considering Memphis will be making a step towards contending apposed to tanking where CP3 will have something to play for & Memphis in accordance with acquiring pick value can get court value out of him as well, with their pick owed. Paul still looks like an upgrade over Crowder & or Hill as a veteran presence.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#20 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:20 pm

Spoiler:
Whole Truth wrote:"No one wants CP3," an anonymous executive told Bleacher Report's Eric Pincus. "[Steven] Adams' contract is terrible. [Danilo Gallinari] is the only one that can bring something back."

Deciding to acquire Paul is committing to multiple years of him dominating the salary sheet. And for any hopeful contender, that's not a fiscally wise decision.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2867305-nba-trade-rumors-latest-news-on-chris-paul-kevin-love-and-more

It's common sense no contender can match 40m salary without gutting their roster. Despite all the reports that OKC will wait till offseason, lol, no contender is going to go after him in the offseason neither, unless he's bought out. OKC's best chance of dumping Paul to a contender was the Heat because they themselves had 30 something mil tied up in 2 players currently not playing for next season shaving only 1 year but IMO that ship has most likely sailed, unless a favorable deal for Miami. IMO, Heat need a post big more than a PG at this point.

The way I see it, OKC have 3 options

1, Buy him out
2, Keep him & ride out his contract even if it affects their ability to tank.
3, Use some of their massive pick cache to trade him for salary/financial relief.

With option 3 making the most sense IMO, considering how many picks OKC have obtained.

It makes even more sense. Considering Memphis will be making a step towards contending apposed to tanking where CP3 will have something to play for & Memphis in accordance with acquiring pick value can get court value out of him as well, with their pick owed. Paul still looks like an upgrade over Crowder & or Hill as a veteran presence.

The other option is a 2b type option. They could keep cp3 and use their assets to move up in the draft and get a better pick. They aren’t going to move from 15th to 1, but they could get inside the top ten. I would even consider moving Shai for the right asset. It’s still unlikely okc make the playoffs if gallo is moved.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?

Return to Memphis Grizzlies