Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

"G" in G-League Apparently Stands for "Gimmick" #NotBasketballAnymore 

Post#181 » by Ranma » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:21 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Re: NBA Gatorade League: Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario 

Post#182 » by mkwest » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:29 am

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#183 » by esqtvd » Mon Nov 4, 2019 7:58 pm

countdown

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#184 » by esqtvd » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:33 pm

Read on Twitter
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#185 » by Young Sterling » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:04 am

esqtvd wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dude I was just watching his highlights for his 36 point/12 rebound game. I love his offensive skillset. He loves to shoot 3s and chooses his spot there, without over relying on it. He always sets picks and rolls hard. He's developing nicely.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#186 » by esqtvd » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:04 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#187 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:44 pm

I think it's time to try giving Fi some legit NBA minutes. There's obvious talent there, and he's clearly too good to be stuck in the D-League.
Young Sterling
Sophomore

Post#188 » by Young Sterling » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:40 pm

Yeah seriously. I've been saying this about Fi, he has ALL the tools we're literally looking for in a big that we either don't have or are too scarce on the market. We should've given him the same burn we gave Mann with the starters and reserves for 1-2 weeks before we started thinking about fleecing our depth for a stretch 4-5 piece in a scarce trade market.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#189 » by esqtvd » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:50 pm

Young Sterling wrote:Yeah seriously. I've been saying this about Fi, he has ALL the tools we're literally looking for in a big that we either don't have or are too scarce on the market. We should've given him the same burn we gave Mann with the starters and reserves for 1-2 weeks before we started thinking about fleecing our depth for a stretch 4-5 piece in a scarce trade market.

I hope people realize we'd be fighting for the 7th seed if we threw so many undeserved minutes at G-Leaguers. Jerome kicked ass in G-league and he can barely get a sniff in the NBA.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/r/robinje01d.html

BTW, Fi is 31% from 3. He went 0-10 one night recently.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/k/kabenmf01d.html
Young Sterling
Sophomore

Post#190 » by Young Sterling » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:29 am

esqtvd wrote:
Young Sterling wrote:Yeah seriously. I've been saying this about Fi, he has ALL the tools we're literally looking for in a big that we either don't have or are too scarce on the market. We should've given him the same burn we gave Mann with the starters and reserves for 1-2 weeks before we started thinking about fleecing our depth for a stretch 4-5 piece in a scarce trade market.

I hope people realize we'd be fighting for the 7th seed if we threw so many undeserved minutes at G-Leaguers. Jerome kicked ass in G-league and he can barely get a sniff in the NBA.

I'm not suggesting giving him starter minutes, I'm asking for him to get some 2Pat minutes. It'll help with long term development and he's a versatile player who has a higher ceiling. His 3pt% is low because he's a newbie, hence why he's in the G league and getting his feel for the game out there. He's been coming into his own lately and deserves to at least get a small opportunity.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#191 » by esqtvd » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:41 am

Young Sterling wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

I'm not suggesting giving him starter minutes, I'm asking for him to get some 2Pat minutes. It'll help with long term development and he's a versatile player who has a higher ceiling. His 3pt% is low because he's a newbie, hence why he's in the G league and getting his feel for the game out there. He's been coming into his own lately and deserves to at least get a small opportunity.

Sorry, but I don't think Fi's even close. And Mann did get a few meaningful minutes early on but unfortunately stunk up the joint.

Doc is not running a Daddy Day Care. Patterson and McGruder need those minutes to either whip them into shape for limited duty in the playoffs or prove they don't deserve any. And Jerome has been given precious minutes to make his own bid for meaningful minutes--to limited success, but at least with more credible results than Fi and Mann have produced.

And it's just bizarre that some of the same people who insist every win is precious for seeding are so willing to futz around with PT. This is serious business! Anytime you risk a victory--and we have blown some big leads by dicking around--it better be for better reasons than giving G Leaguers grownup NBA burn just to see what happens.

Hell, Ty Wallace and Sindarius Thornwell are far more able and deserving of NBA minutes and they're not even in the league anymore! School's out!
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,218

Post#192 » by Clemenza » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:42 am

esqtvd wrote:
Young Sterling wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Sorry, but I don't think Fi's even close. And Mann did get a few meaningful minutes early on but unfortunately stunk up the joint.

Doc is not running a Daddy Day Care. Patterson and McGruder need those minutes to either whip them into shape for limited duty in the playoffs or prove they don't deserve any. And Jerome has been given precious minutes to make his own bid for meaningful minutes--to limited success, but at least with more credible results than Fi and Mann have produced.

And it's just bizarre that some of the same people who insist every win is precious for seeding are so willing to futz around with PT. This is serious business! Anytime you risk a victory--and we have blown some big leads by dicking around--it better be for better reasons than giving G Leaguers grownup NBA burn just to see what happens.

Hell, Ty Wallace and Sindarius Thornwell are far more able and deserving of NBA minutes and they're not even in the league anymore! School's out!

Kabengele is a first round pick who has major talent that needs some polishing and adjusting to the speed of the league. Comparing him to project journeymen like Ty and Sin is laughable and a stretch just to reinforce a certain narrative. The minutes are tight right now and that's the main reason he's in the G League. Whether you like it or not he will get some type of burn with the main team if he keeps putting up numbers like he is.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#193 » by esqtvd » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:11 am

Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Young Sterling wrote:

Kabengele is a first round pick who has major talent that needs some polishing and adjusting to the speed of the league. Comparing him to project journeymen like Ty and Sin is laughable and a stretch just to reinforce a certain narrative. The minutes are tight right now and that's the main reason he's in the G League. Whether you like it or not he will get some type of burn with the main team if he keeps putting up numbers like he is.

With all due respect, bro. No, he won't. And I've always been respectful and nice to you, and given you Add+1s and everything. No need for the "whether you like it or not" stuff. :-(

And though I took a lot of abuse predicting that Ty and Sindarius would be out of the NBA now--and they are--I never said they hadn't earned the minutes that they got. And that was in the "what the hell" season.

Fi hasn't earned anything. You don't earn anything in G League except a spot on the bench and maybe getting to participate in practice. Which may earn you some garbage time, which if you do well, may get you a couple minutes when somebody's injured.

Which is how Ty and Sindarius got NBA minutes in the first place. They earned them. When I said they would be out of the NBA within 6 months and they were, it was never a sign of disrespect. Maybe that was taken as a sign of disrespect.

Ty and Sindarius made the most of their talents, and made a few bucks along the way. I'm all for it.

Sindarius made over $2 million from the Clippers as a professional basketball player. Maybe that's why he's sitting home watching the Clippers instead of playing for Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, Olympiacos Piraeus or Spartak St. Petersburg.

Bonus question: GUESS WHO DID...? :)
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,218

Post#194 » by Clemenza » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:33 am

esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

With all due respect, bro. No, he won't. And I've always been respectful and nice to you, and given you Add+1s and everything. No need for the "whether you like it or not" stuff. :-(

And though I took a lot of abuse predicting that Ty and Sindarius would be out of the NBA now--and they are--I never said they hadn't earned the minutes that they got. And that was in the "what the hell" season.

Fi hasn't earned anything. You don't earn anything in G League except a spot on the bench and maybe getting to participate in practice. Which may earn you some garbage time, which if you do well, may get you a couple minutes when somebody's injured.

Which is how Ty and Sindarius got NBA minutes in the first place. They earned them. When I said they would be out of the NBA within 6 months and they were, it was never a sign of disrespect. Maybe that was taken as a sign of disrespect.

Ty and Sindarius made the most of their talents, and made a few bucks along the way. I'm all for it.

Sindarius made over $2 million from the Clippers as a professional basketball player. Maybe that's why he's sitting home watching the Clippers instead of playing for Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, Olympiacos Piraeus or Spartak St. Petersburg.

Bonus question: Guess who did...?

I don't get your use of "He hasn't earned anything" talk. What are your guidelines to who and what has to "earn/earned" playing time? You have access to a statsheet/guidebook that NBA coaches use to gage whether a player has 'earned' their minutes or not? He's a first round pick and most first rounders get some type of playing time somewhere along as the season goes. There's different circumstances for different teams. I'm seeing most first rounders getting some burn, even some 2nd rounders. Have they all earned it, or is the team short on healthy bodies, or are they simply giving the rook some experience, is the rook related to the coach, etc. etc. etc. Now I get something along the lines of- we're deep at the pf position, Trez is the man and Zu gets his leftovers. I get that and that makes sense. But all that "he hasn't earned it" is bullsh*t too me. How do we know Fi is killing it in practice, and we do know he's killing it in the G League. That's more than likely earning it on a different franchise in a different situation. And I don't care about the And-1's. You got a weird obsession with certain players and a deep hatred for others. Its tiring
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#195 » by esqtvd » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:19 am

Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Kabengele is a first round pick who has major talent that needs some polishing and adjusting to the speed of the league. Comparing him to project journeymen like Ty and Sin is laughable and a stretch just to reinforce a certain narrative. The minutes are tight right now and that's the main reason he's in the G League. Whether you like it or not he will get some type of burn with the main team if he keeps putting up numbers like he is.

Bonus question: Guess who did...?

I don't get your use of "He hasn't earned anything" talk. What are your guidelines to who and what has to "earn/earned" playing time? You have access to a statsheet/guidebook that NBA coaches use to gage whether a player has 'earned' their minutes or not? He's a first round pick and most first rounders get some type of playing time somewhere along as the season goes. There's different circumstances for different teams. I'm seeing most first rounders getting some burn, even some 2nd rounders. Have they all earned it, or is the team short on healthy bodies, or are they simply giving the rook some experience, is the rook related to the coach, etc. etc. etc. Now I get something along the lines of- we're deep at the pf position, But all that "he hasn't earned it" is bullsh*t too me. How do we know Fi is killing it in practice, and we do know he's killing it in the G League. That's more than likely earning it on a different franchise in a different situation. And I don't care about the And-1's. You got a weird obsession with certain players and a deep hatred for others. Its tiring

That's not right, bro. Fi is not going to get any more time on this team. If he does I'll give you a dollar. :wink:

You're entitled to your opinions but I don't get the anger and getting personal. What I'm really disappointed about is that T-Mann won't get any more burn either unless something happens right quick. And Jerry West will be disappointed too, who predicted Mann would make the playoff rotation.

I mean Jerry F**king West, damn. That should be a caution to all of us.

Trez is the man and Zu gets his leftovers. I get that and that makes sense.

Right. Let's leave our relationship there and move on to the rest of the season. Sorry if I offended you. This is supposed to be fun. :D
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#196 » by QRich3 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:41 am

I'm all for trading away one of our C's to upgrade the roster and promoting Mfi to the 10-15 MPG back-up C. I think he's ready for a small role like that.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#197 » by esqtvd » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:30 pm

QRich3 wrote:I'm all for trading away one of our C's to upgrade the roster and promoting Mfi to the 10-15 MPG back-up C. I think he's ready for a small role like that.

I don't agree in the least but I'd like to be wrong

Read on Twitter
Young Sterling
Sophomore

Post#198 » by Young Sterling » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:50 am

Ty and Sin didn't earn their minutes. They were on squads which lacked depth and needed their minutes, more so than this one do. Balling out in the G league is not a joke, there's pro level players in there. Fi doesn't have as much muscle and size as a 2Pat, but he has better speed and springiness. At Fi's size, having that bounce, 3pt ability, and defensive instincts is worth mining out. Good teams do that. Take the Nuggets for example.

They could've just stayed course and played their rotation, but by giving a guy like MPJ minutes, he went from every team including ours thinking he would fail, to getting national consideration as one of the best eventual players on a contender. Opportunities are more scarce when you're on a contender, but the minutes and the potential are there.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

Post#199 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:16 pm

Fioundu should stick with the team, spend some reps with the team. Practice with the team. Why?

After all those serious knee injuries, Michael Porter Jr wasn't even ready to take the court by the season started. However, Nuggets didn't spend him in the G-league. They let him ate with the team, practice with the team, join the trips with the team. Now he have the chemistry with the team.

He didn't play too much minutes at the beginning. But he did play like 4-5 minutes every game consistently. No matter how suck he was, he get those minutes to see how far he is away from NBA level. He keeps practiced. Malone insisted on him keeping on the team, strategically called him some extended minutes when game slows donw to him. Porter jr started to see 10+ minutes and eventually started to contribute a months ago. Now, M.Porter Jr has a role on that team, he gets 20 minutes a night easily on that crowded roster.

This is development.

Fiondu deserves his own shot.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#200 » by esqtvd » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:09 pm

Young Sterling wrote:Ty and Sin didn't earn their minutes. They were on squads which lacked depth and needed their minutes, more so than this one do. Balling out in the G league is not a joke, there's pro level players in there. Fi doesn't have as much muscle and size as a 2Pat, but he has better speed and springiness. At Fi's size, having that bounce, 3pt ability, and defensive instincts is worth mining out. Good teams do that. Take the Nuggets for example.

They could've just stayed course and played their rotation, but by giving a guy like MPJ minutes, he went from every team including ours thinking he would fail, to getting national consideration as one of the best eventual players on a contender. Opportunities are more scarce when you're on a contender, but the minutes and the potential are there.

No comparison. Fi was a 6th man in college and is still a marginal prospect; Porter was a Top 5 pick except for his injury and pretty close to a sure thing in the NBA if healthy.

And Ty and Sin DID earn their minutes, if only because we had nobody better. Their problem is that they have zero upside--tweeners who are undersized as SFs, and shooting guards that can't shoot are a dime a dozen, even if they can D up a bit.

But you can't be a 3 and D if you got no 3. :)

Return to Los Angeles Clippers