Joel Embiid After Loss To Mavs: Sixers Are 'Playing Scared' Against Zone Defenses

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Joel Embiid After Loss To Mavs: Sixers Are 'Playing Scared' Against Zone Defenses 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:19 pm

Joel Embiid criticized the Philadelphia 76ers' mentality after their 117-98 loss to the Dallas Mavericks at home, saying they are scared to shoot against zone defenses.

"I feel like, especially tonight, we were playing scared. Basketball is easy. You just shoot it, pass it, move it. If you don't got a shot just pass it. ... I felt like tonight we had a few open looks, [and] you just got to shoot it," said Embiid following the game.

The Mavs played a zone defense on 35 possessions against the Sixers on Friday night. The Heat played zone on 38 possessions on Wednesday, the most for any team on the season.

Brett Brown admitted that zone defenses are affecting his team's mentality.

"I think that the influence that our inability lately, to, like, be put on our back heels against the zone has crept into our defense, our psyche, our spirit. And I can't stand it. This is not who we are. It's not who we are. ... I love coaching these guys, because I respect them. And I feel like our competitive spirit has taken a dent because of our inability to score, and I think that any time you get into a mood swing that affects your defense because your offense is doing something, it needs to be addressed."

Via Tim Bontemps/ESPN

ball_dont_lie23
Freshman
And1: 25

Re: Joel Embiid After Loss To Mavs: Sixers Are 'Playing Scared' Against Zone Defenses 

Post#2 » by ball_dont_lie23 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:17 pm

thats what happens when you have no shooting. good luck moving those tobias harris and al horford contracts smh
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,073

Re: Joel Embiid After Loss To Mavs: Sixers Are 'Playing Scared' Against Zone Defenses 

Post#3 » by Embiid P » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:09 pm

Hmmm...I wonder who in particular he is referring to?
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#4 » by Lalouie » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:44 pm

well, if opposing coaches didn't already know it,,,they know it now!
so now it'sa mental thing that just became REAL
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,720

Post#5 » by the_process » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:04 pm

Embiid P wrote:Hmmm...I wonder who in particular he is referring to?

I'm pretty sure the name rhymes with Pen Timmons.

Speaking of Pen Timmons, he is now on his 2nd year of ruining the Sixers title chances. I hope they deal him in the summer.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#6 » by Fresh360Waves » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:01 am

the_process wrote:

Speaking of Pen Timmons, he is now on his 2nd year of ruining the Sixers title chances. I hope they deal him in the summer.

They should trade him for CP3. A lot of people probably won't agree with me but I feel like it would help both sides.
the_process
RealGM

Post#7 » by the_process » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:05 pm

Fresh360Waves wrote:
the_process wrote:

They should trade him for CP3. A lot of people probably won't agree with me but I feel like it would help both sides.

CP3 is old, more injury prone than Embiid, and just awful in a locker room. And we haven't even talked about his contract. CP3 is clear negative value at this point, and Pen Timmons even with all of his flaws is nowhere near negative value.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#8 » by BigTex » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:35 pm

Fresh360Waves wrote:
the_process wrote:

Why would Oklahoma City want Simmons?
Fresh360Waves
Veteran

Post#9 » by Fresh360Waves » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:39 pm

BigTex wrote:
Fresh360Waves wrote:
the_process wrote:

1. Young player
2. Would help give them a "big name" player
3. Help sell tickets
4. Helps them dump CP3 who doesn't fit OKC's rebuilding timeline.

These are the only reasons that I can think of. Not good reasons, but things to consider nonetheless.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran

Post#10 » by Fresh360Waves » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:41 pm

the_process wrote:
Fresh360Waves wrote:
the_process wrote:

CP3 is old, more injury prone than Embiid, and just awful in a locker room. And we haven't even talked about his contract. CP3 is clear negative value at this point, and Pen Timmons even with all of his flaws is nowhere near negative value.

I hear ya, but at the same time the Sixers gotta take advantage of this moment to potentially win a championship. The last thing you want is Embiid getting frustrated and demanding a trade eventually. The team is pretty much capped out so they don't have many ways to improve the team.
the_process
RealGM

Post#11 » by the_process » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:18 am

Fresh360Waves wrote:
the_process wrote:
Fresh360Waves wrote:

I hear ya, but at the same time the Sixers gotta take advantage of this moment to potentially win a championship. The last thing you want is Embiid getting frustrated and demanding a trade eventually. The team is pretty much capped out so they don't have many ways to improve the team.

CP3 is not nearly the difference between the Sixers and a title. While I know OKC would love to steal the guy, grand theft is illegal and I won't be a party to it.
the_process
RealGM

Post#12 » by the_process » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:19 am

BigTex wrote:
Fresh360Waves wrote:
the_process wrote:

:lol:

Return to Wiretap Discussion