ImageImageImage

Romeo Langford Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

NYCelticsfan136
Veteran
And1: 1,680

Re: Romeo Langford Thread 

Post#621 » by NYCelticsfan136 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:18 am

Play him a couple of more games and bring him up. With Gordon missing some time we could use a slasher type player like him. Kid can shoot. He shot 44 percent with a broken thumb.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,313

Post#622 » by Homerclease » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:37 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#623 » by Floody100 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:16 am

Would’ve liked him to play a couple more games in the G League but needs to come up now that Gordon’s out. I think he’ll settle in nicely too.
Gurton Buster
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,347

Post#624 » by Gurton Buster » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:59 am

Romeo Langford on that 2-way development plan by Brad Stevens. You ain’t getting on the floor if you ain’t playing defence. Brad’s coaching/emphasis on defence is so underrated.
Bostonic33
Sophomore
And1: 262

Post#625 » by Bostonic33 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:31 pm

It appears to me Romeo's game is translatable to success at the HS, college and G-League level. I didn't see a difference between his college games and last night's game. He still has a weird hitch at the end of his 3 pt shot. His main short game is aggressive moves to the hoops and banking the shot. It works now because he is more athletic than his opponents. Granted, he can do this with both hands. However, I didn't see any short jumpers in the paint. Romeo still has work to do before he is a well-rounded and reliable scorer.
KumaJG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#626 » by KumaJG » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:01 am

Should be taking Edwards minutes from now on.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#627 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:23 am

Ainge wins again.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#628 » by GoGreen » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:17 am

Kid looked damn good tonight. Not expecting much from him this year, but I will enjoy watching him develop
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,924

Post#629 » by Joshyjess » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:00 am

With Romeo being out all Summer, and most of the early part of this season, I honestly kind of forgot about him. Watching him the last couple of games, I have been reminded that he was our first pick in a very loud way. I am extremely excited to see how he develops this year, and look forward to him being a big part of next year's team (possibly this year's as well, but I think that might be jumping the gun a bit). You know, maybe Ainge and Co. knew what they were doing when they drafted him. :rock:
Kids Are Alright
Veteran
And1: 137

Post#630 » by Kids Are Alright » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:21 am

He, Grant, Brad and Ennis are making a great bench core group. Very, very in your shirt defensively speaking (1st three only) and Kanter’s offensive boards, I’ve never seen offensive boards on the C’s for so long...
Tanking :nonono: Live for the day 8-)
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,966

Post#631 » by sam_I_am » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:13 pm

When you factor in how behind the 8 ball Langford is.....1 year college, missed SL and most of preseason, injuries all season playing in only 2 GL games...... you have to be hyped to see how well he is doing already. I knew he was a big league talent in the limited minutes we saw in SL but I figured he would be buried behind wing depth all season. However, he is showing that he could be a rotation player already. I think he is ahead of where Jaylen Brown was as a rookie offensively and his defense is NBA ready too. There may not be a role for him when Smart/Hayward return but it’s nice to know the team could call on him if it needed to.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Post#632 » by jfs1000d » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:36 pm

sam_I_am wrote:When you factor in how behind the 8 ball Langford is.....1 year college, missed SL and most of preseason, injuries all season playing in only 2 GL games...... you have to be hyped to see how well he is doing already. I knew he was a big league talent in the limited minutes we saw in SL but I figured he would be buried behind wing depth all season. However, he is showing that he could be a rotation player already. I think he is ahead of where Jaylen Brown was as a rookie offensively and his defense is NBA ready too. There may not be a role for him when Smart/Hayward return but it’s nice to know the team could call on him if it needed to.

Kid can go to G-League. Play spot minutes. He also gets to practice. At end of the day, he wasn’t selected to help this year’s team. This was a long term drafting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#633 » by Banks2Pierce » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:55 pm

Stroke is looking better, already has a solid frame, and I love the way he just glides to where he needs to. Kinda cool that he's a mystery, too, so you are getting bits and pieces of how he plays. Good sign that Brad is giving him minutes.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#634 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:14 pm

I didn't have high expectations for this kid, so I've been pleasantly surprised with what I've seen from him thus far. When he was first drafted and I started seeing his social media posts, I wasn't impressed at all. That's what I get for judging him by his personality and demeanor. Now that he's getting some burn, I'm really encouraged, and reminded why Ainge and Zarren make the big bucks, while I'm just some chump who posts on a message board. Lol
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,344

Post#635 » by reload141 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:41 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:I didn't have high expectations for this kid, so I've been pleasantly surprised with what I've seen from him thus far. When he was first drafted and I started seeing his social media posts, I wasn't impressed at all. That's what I get for judging him by his personality and demeanor. Now that he's getting some burn, I'm really encouraged, and reminded why Ainge and Zarren make the big bucks, while I'm just some chump who posts on a message board. Lol

You're our chump though.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,266

Post#636 » by Gant » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:50 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:I didn't have high expectations for this kid, so I've been pleasantly surprised with what I've seen from him thus far. When he was first drafted and I started seeing his social media posts, I wasn't impressed at all. That's what I get for judging him by his personality and demeanor. Now that he's getting some burn, I'm really encouraged, and reminded why Ainge and Zarren make the big bucks, while I'm just some chump who posts on a message board. Lol

I believe in you.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,151

Post#637 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:58 pm

Tomek is a fandom hero. If you're not subscribing/following already, go do so. Let's hope YT doesn't take away his channel.

Read on Twitter
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,657

Post#638 » by NuckyPowell » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:26 am

Heh, yeah, I did the same thing. Discounted him for non-basketball things. Live and learn. Really happy with what I've seen these last couple of games. Kid seems to have an excellent feel for the game, like his moves and decisions just come naturally, without overthinking things like most young players do. Can't wait to watch this guy develop. Very happily surprised at his ability to stay in front of people and just defend in general.
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,657

Post#639 » by NuckyPowell » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:29 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Tomek is a fandom hero. If you're not subscribing/following already, go do so. Let's hope YT doesn't take away his channel.

Read on Twitter

Be nice if the Celtics offered him a job as their video guy. He's got a nice resume (his YT channel), and I bet it'd be a dream come true job for Tomek.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,460

Post#640 » by celtxman » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:16 am

sully00 wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:
i really hope you guys are right, but i haven't seen the same explosion and quickness that hayward had with utah. while it was never top-shelf, this was actually an important part of his game, and opened up his outside shooting. if after 2 years he hasn't gotten this back, i'm guessing it's not coming back. for a guy who was a borderline all star to begin with, i think it puts him into very good but below AS level.

i mean look at this... i haven't seen this in boston yet:

i absolutely think he can and will be a huge part of our team this year. but longer term? if he opts out, what contract do we offer him? he plays roughly the same position as tatum and brown, although he brings different skills. if i have to give 25m per year to someone, it's not going to be GH at age 31-35 instead of brown and/or tatum. then we've got langford who hopefully will be our SG of the future if all goes well. i like this kid, don't get me wrong, i just think he's got a ways to go to get to brown/tatum level. but he's also much younger.

bottom line i think hayward's days with us are numbered. really sucks about his injury, he would have been amazing without that, but it is what it is.

Great post. I am very optimistic for Gordon. His NetRtg last year in preseason was -29. This year is +18 which is as good or better than any he had in Utah. Of course teams are different so they probably don’t correlate. However his defensive rating last year was an abysmal 122 and now is about 85 which is good even on this team. Last year’s numbers show what a shell of himself he was at start of year and he did make a lot of progress. This year he is explosive and he has had some dunks that we just didn’t see. I agree they are not at level of the highlights you linked but I won’t exclude the chance of him getting there. He is already just so much better that he was in April.

That said....he still has to be traded. Celtics simply cannot count on him opting in or resigning at discounted rate. Unless he has another down year it would be crazy for him to opt in because a 3+1 deal at age 31 is much easier to get in weak FA year than it will be at age 32. Maybe team is okay letting him walk for nothing and then just paying Tatum and Brown and Kemba. I think he needs to be featured to drive up his value and then traded for a big. Orlando seems to be a great trading partner - they need a playmaker and a shooter and are overloaded with PFs which is a need for us.

He doesn't have any trade value. It doesn't matter if he opts out and walks away he has no game right now. Boston's going to give his money to Tatum. You don't really want more than 3 guys on big dollar deals. I am rooting for Hayward but I only care about how he can help this team I could care less about managing him like an assewt.
You can say he has no trade value due to his contract and amount of injuries. You can say the progression of Tatum and Brown may require the Celtics to have either a younger, cheaper player like Langford become groomed into the rotation. You can feel tired of managing a $32 million per asset and feel it is time to move on even at pennies on the dollar return in playing ability. But no game? No place maybe, but he is an excellent player and it just feels like some fans just want to move on no matter what.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."

Return to Boston Celtics