ImageImage

Could the Atlanta Hawks Land Karl-Anthony Towns?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,002

Could the Atlanta Hawks Land Karl-Anthony Towns?  

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:37 pm

Here is his salary:
2019-20: $27,250,000
2020-21: $29,430,000
2021-22: $31,610,000
2022-23: $33,790,000
2023-24: $36,016,200

This trade season there is one true prize out there. Can the Atlanta Hawks grab it?

The Atlanta Hawks are in desperate need of three things: A starting-level center, offensive help, and a defensive anchor. Luckily enough, there is a player on the market that fills all three of those holes – but the price would be steep.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/soaringdownsouth.com/2019/12/25/could-the-atlanta-hawks-land-karl-anthony-towns/amp/

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Re: Could the Atlanta Hawks Land Karl-Anthony Towns? 

Post#2 » by Radioblacktive1 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:15 pm

The trade graphic is broken but the article says the second trade is all those picks + Jabari Parker for KAT and a 2021 SRP. That’s the move to make but I doubt Minny is taking that.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#3 » by King Ken » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:24 pm

I don't see Rosas trading KAT under any circumstances. If he does, it will cost us Collins, at least 3 1st rounds picks and taking Dieng contract.
Radioblacktive1
Senior

Post#4 » by Radioblacktive1 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:59 am

I would love to keep Cam if possible. Huerter, Parker (or Len) and a pick or two would be great.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#5 » by kg01 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:39 am

I hope not. Paper tiger ... er kitty kat.
king01 :king:
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#6 » by D21 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:56 pm

The problem with Towns is that he's maybe the best C on the offensive side, but one of the worst on the defensive side.
Trae is already in this mold as a PG, so even if their offensive benefits can surpass their defensive liabilities, can we built on that kind of PG-C axle ?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:41 pm

It's a reasonable expectation that at some point KAT will tire of losing in a small market and become more open to a trade...maybe even demanding one while still in his prime.

We'll have the assets (centered around Collins, Hunter and draft picks). Will it be worth it, though?

I could definitely see a team of Trae, KAT and 3&D wings competing in the East for years to come.

Knicks Trade Rumors: Karl-Anthony Towns Expected to Be Monitored by NYK

The New York Knicks "are expected to monitor" Minnesota Timberwolves star Karl-Anthony Towns should Towns become available in a trade, according to the New York Post's Marc Berman.

With the team striking out in free agency, Berman writes that the Knicks are focusing on a plan to acquire a star player who has become "disgruntled" in his current surroundings.

Towns is in the first year of his five-year, $158.2 million super-max extension. The Timberwolves are 10-19 and 13th in the Western Conference. It's plausible Minnesota could be faced with a dilemma down the line not dissimilar to the New Orleans Pelicans, who traded Anthony Davis when it became clear he wasn't signing another contract.

...[NY] doesn't have much in the way of trade assets, having used Kristaps Porzingis to get the cap space that would have allowed them to sign Irving and Durant. Berman noted the Knicks got a 2021 first-round pick and a 2023 first-rounder as part of the Porzingis trade. Both of those picks belong to the Dallas Mavericks, though, so they're more likely than not going to be out of the lottery.

If the Timberwolves are ready to trigger a rebuild—which trading Towns would almost certainly mean—they'd surely be able to get a better deal than what the Knicks could offer, even in a few years.
Bleacher Report
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#8 » by jayu70 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:09 pm

We'd be great offensively. We'd also have the the worst PG and C as our best players. Is that a path to championship contention? Or just good offensive bball?
Yes we can supplement with 3&D wings but now you've just traded Hunter.
Towns is currently playing with one of the best 3nD wings in Covington, how is that looking?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:24 pm

jayu70 wrote:We'd be great offensively. We'd also have the the worst PG and C as our best players. Is that a path to championship contention? Or just good offensive bball?
Yes we can supplement with 3&D wings but now you've just traded Hunter.
Towns is currently playing with one of the best 3nD wings in Covington, how is that looking?

Minnesota's issue is creation at the guard spot. A problem we won't have.

Teague has moved to the bench, J Culver hasn't been consistent enough to create much as a rookie and the team even got so desperate they experimented with Wiggins at PG.

They are currently 19th in offense rating with one of the most productive offensive players in the league.

I could see us replicating the Dallas Mavericks model of elite offense with middling defense behind Trae and KAT.

Also, KAT makes us more attractive in Free Agency. I could see us wooing Serge Ibaka, signing Montrezl Harrell, rehabbing David Nwaba to surround two flawed offensive juggernauts.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:04 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:02 pm

Would the Hawks Be a Fit for KAT?

Putting together the best potential packages for the elite Center

Any team acquiring him would immediately get one of the best centers in the league along with a contract that takes him through his age-28 season. Towns is averaging a career-high 26.5 points on 51.4/41.8/79.6 shooting splits to go along with 11.7 rebounds, 4.4 assists, 1.0 steals and 1.3 blocks per game. He's also up to 8.5 three-point attempts per contest and is the only player in NBA history to average at least 25 points and 11 rebounds while shooting no worse than 40 percent from three-point range.

Those calling about Towns better have a wealth of draft picks and young talents to offer, and the following three teams can put together the best realistic trade packages.

Atlanta Hawks

Timberwolves Receive: PF John Collins, SF Cam Reddish, SG Kevin Huerter, SG Allen Crabbe, 2020 first-round pick (lottery-protected via Brooklyn Nets), 2022 1st-round pick (lottery-protected via Oklahoma City Thunder)

Hawks Receive: C Karl-Anthony Towns

When trying to get a player like Towns, only franchise point guard Trae Young should be off the table for Atlanta. The Hawks have one of the best young cores and draft-pick compilations in the NBA despite owning the league's worst record at 7-27, and they could become a serious playoff threat in the East next season. Pairing Young and Towns would be a dream scenario, especially if they could keep 2019 No. 4 overall pick De'Andre Hunter between them.

Of course, this would mean gutting the rest of the young core, including Collins (18.3 points, 9.9 rebounds, 2.0 blocks, 36.8 percent from three), Reddish (8.1 points, 3.8 rebounds, 1.0 steals) and Huerter (9.8 points, 3.3 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 34.8 percent from three). All are between 20 and 22 years old and would give Minnesota a terrific young core alongside Andrew Wiggins and Jarrett Culver.

Crabbe carries an expiring $18.5 million salary, and two first-round picks (including one from Brooklyn that should convey near the middle of this summer's draft) would help the Timberwolves add even more young talent.

The Hawks would get to keep all their own picks while maintaining max cap space this summer. Atlanta should already be an attractive destination simply for the chance to play with Young, and adding Towns for recruiting efforts should help seal some deals.

The two young stars could play together as some of the NBA's top players for the next decade.
Bleacher Report
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,031

Post#12 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:17 pm

It's enticing to think about a player like KAT. I don't make the trade. Center isn't the highest priority position. I'd rather have an avg C and a star wing. TS is hording his cap while the yuong core develops and eventually he'll be in a position to bring in a player of Kat's stature as a FA and keep all the core
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#13 » by D21 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:30 pm

There's one thing that makes a difference : ATL is not team that will be over the cap, and doesn't need to trade for KAT including lots of picks and players like HOU did for Westbrook. They coud only get him via a trade, it's not ATL case. Yes, KAT is under contract, but other will be without contract.

This package is stupid for a guy like KAT that didn't prove to be able to push his team on a long playoffs run. We are not talking about a guy that dominate on offense and defense.

MIN offense is 18pts more with him than without him on 100poss, but the defense goes from 106 without him to 117 with him.
Yes his offense impact is higher than his defensive loss, but it's a bit alarming, especially if paired with Trae...
Radioblacktive1
Senior

Post#14 » by Radioblacktive1 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:25 pm

So we surround them with two way players. We still got Hunter, I’d like to keep Cam but if now we can look in the draft (Edwards) or FAcy for the other two. Also KAT isn’t that bad defensively, he’s serviceable. I’d gladly take my chances with him. Three people who can play good D, one who’s average and one who’s awful defensively seems like a net positive to me.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#15 » by CP War Hawks » Wed Jan 1, 2020 11:14 pm

I think the idea for us is Towns, Collins, Hunter, and Trae. Just about everyone else is game, even an unprotected 2020 pick. Somebody else will trump that offer still.

It's no point in gutting the team for just Trae and Towns tho. Can't afford to make a move until the draft lotto. It's per NBA policy that GS win the lotto for Wiseman where he becomes the centerpiece for Towns prolonging the Warriors dynasty.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:44 am

It’s just a matter of time before he requests a way out of there...

Read on Twitter
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#17 » by King Ken » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:07 pm

Remove Reddish and Hunter. We can trade whoever other than those two.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#18 » by kg01 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:28 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:It’s just a matter of time before he requests a way out of there...

Agreed. Not that he should be absolved of blame , but I can certainly see him pulling an Ant. Davis.
king01 :king:
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#19 » by shakes0 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:37 pm

I want nothing to do with him. If we are going to commit to building around Trae there are very specific pieces that are going to be needed. The biggest piece is a rim protector. Trae + KAT would never be a winning combination.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#20 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 3, 2020 5:12 pm

shakes0 wrote:I want nothing to do with him. If we are going to commit to building around Trae there are very specific pieces that are going to be needed. The biggest piece is a rim protector. Trae + KAT would never be a winning combination.

Definitely some flaws in a KAT/Trae pairing.

We could be more adequately prepared for it had we drafted differently.

Jaxson Hayes or Brandon Clarke both seem like ideal front court partners next to KAT.

Return to Atlanta Hawks