Kristaps Porziņģis activated

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Yogatti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,194

Re: Kristaps Porziņģis activated 

Post#401 » by Yogatti » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:08 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Yogatti wrote:Back in 2015, almost everyone picked KAT over Porzingis. I always knew back then Porzingis is better than KAT and he was overrated. Now 4 years later, it's clear who is the superior player.

Man, I don't know about that, and I'm a guy who leans towards the Euro player & I'm a huge Mavs' fan. Karl Anthony-Towns is having one hell of a year! KAT doesn't play much defense, but he's still 5th in the league in PER. KP is 83rd. I'd hardly call that clearly superior.

KP is on his well on his way to giving KAT a run for his money, though. And, the fact the Mavs are trending up & Minnesota embarrassed itself after KAT said "don't sleep on us this season" isn't going to help KAT's cause either.

Minnesota Timberwolves are on a 11 game losing streak with KAT as the main guy. You sure about that?
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#402 » by DJ_3_Ball » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:30 am

Yogatti wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Yogatti wrote:Back in 2015, almost everyone picked KAT over Porzingis. I always knew back then Porzingis is better than KAT and he was overrated. Now 4 years later, it's clear who is the superior player.

Man, I don't know about that, and I'm a guy who leans towards the Euro player & I'm a huge Mavs' fan. Karl Anthony-Towns is having one hell of a year! KAT doesn't play much defense, but he's still 5th in the league in PER. KP is 83rd. I'd hardly call that clearly superior.

KP is on his well on his way to giving KAT a run for his money, though. And, the fact the Mavs are trending up & Minnesota embarrassed itself after KAT said "don't sleep on us this season" isn't going to help KAT's cause either.

Minnesota Timberwolves are on a 11 game losing streak with KAT as the main guy. You sure about that?

Yes, you have a point. I thought KAT was a little presumptuous when he said don't sleep on us this year. But, PER is... what do they say? Numbers don't lie. 5th to 83rd is a big gap. KAT is good, real good. Now, he sucks on defense & KP is a difference maker, so that's very important. But, you didn't say KP is right there with KAT or KP was a little better or KP was more well-rounded. You said KAT was overrated. You said KAT was inferior to KP. That's taking that too far. KAT is the 8th leading scorer in the NBA, he's a Center who is 6th in 3PM this season, he's 18th in 3pt % at 41.8, and the guy is 8th in rebounding and 38th in assists at 4.4. I mean, offensively, he's an absolute beast. You can't deny that.

As for the 11 game losing streak, KAT hasn't played in the last 4 games due to injury, and prior to that the Wolves lost @ DAL, @ LAL and vs LAC. I'm not exactly going to hold that against KAT. Those are 3 tough games. Wolves won't make the playoffs this year, and KAT will have to answer for that, but the 11 game losing streak isn't on him. It looks worse than it really is (in terms of KAT being involved).
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 925

Post#403 » by perempe20 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:11 am

Merry Kristaps!
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#404 » by NY 567 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:17 pm

Porzingis can be an integral part of a championship contender, KAT can't. KP can be a 2nd or 3rd scoring option on a title team while also being it's best defensive player, KAT isn't first option material on a title contender and his defense is absolutely atrocious. KAT can raise the offensive floor of a bad team somewhat, but bad teams aren't going anywhere anyway.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#405 » by J_T » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:35 pm

Have you seen Rick dropping the F bomb, pretty much directed at TNT NBA crew? :lol:

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2019/12/27/21038770/mavericks-head-coach-rick-carlisle-schools-nba-on-tnt-post-ups-kristaps-porzingis

Read on Twitter
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,600

Post#406 » by Dirk » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:04 pm

J_T wrote:Have you seen Rick dropping the F bomb, pretty much directed at TNT NBA crew? :lol:

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2019/12/27/21038770/mavericks-head-coach-rick-carlisle-schools-nba-on-tnt-post-ups-kristaps-porzingis

Read on Twitter

I don't really think he should talk about that stuff --- who cares about what the TNT people or social media talk? But I guess KP may feel some of that pressure and will feel better seeing the coach talk him up.

With that said, while RC makes some stuff up (historical efficiency), the biggest takeaway is the confirmation that the Mavs have a plan... and they are sticking to it. In the long run, we'd benefit from having a version of KP that is more comfortable when in certain spots (i.e, yesterday he had 2 or 3 'bad' shots in the elbow area), it'd a safe avenue to get some crucial buckets, but right now... it's actually quite refreshing to see how disciplined the Mavs are...

You've literally seen a conscious effort from KP in passing the ball (a couple of games ago he attempted about 3 lob passes to Powell) and the drives to the basket... (by the way, his inability to take on contact is a major handicap as well, can't really finish through contact). In any case, I think everyone would be surprised if they were told the Mavs would completely shut down on "working on post plays" and instead just make him shoot more and more 3s. More power to them ah.
60/21/10
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,767

Post#407 » by Archx » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:09 pm

J_T wrote:Have you seen Rick dropping the F bomb, pretty much directed at TNT NBA crew? :lol:

I agree on everything that Barkley said though. If Pop can get some easy points from LMA in the post, Rick should be able to do the same with KP, specially when Luka sits. No point in THJ and Curry running the offense because there is no shot these two won't pass on.
J_T
Veteran

Post#408 » by J_T » Wed Jan 1, 2020 6:58 am

Thoughts?
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#409 » by arkuo » Wed Jan 1, 2020 7:33 am

Poringis will be the key here during the playoffs (if we make it). If he gets his scoring back on track (30s per game) while everybody else keeps doing their thing, we will go deep.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#410 » by Darren » Wed Jan 1, 2020 3:49 pm

KP voices discontent about the role offensively for the team. I wonder if this is the reason missing game. Clearly, KP is much more involved in Luka's absence. I think the coach has to listen. The Mavs cannot afford having inconsistent KP as pure 3D center without being 2nd option or taking last shots. While the post-up is no very good, but KP is pretty good in mid-range iso situation.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#411 » by arkuo » Wed Jan 1, 2020 4:17 pm

I see it two ways. Either the offense goes through Luka, or the offense goes through KP (via the post as it was in NYK).

When Luka has the ball, he seems laser focused running around and dribbling 55 times per possession. That said possession ends in either 1 of 3 things.

1. Luka drives, sucks defender, throws a lob to Powell
2. Luka drives, sucks defender, kicks out to DFS in the corner
3. Luka steps back for 35 foot fadeway three pointer

None of those plays involve KP as he is standing in the wing waiting and drawing his defender out. IMO, KP will get involved in the offense if he acts as the primary screener for Doncic in the pick and roll. Basically we are asking him to do what Powell is doing right now and let Powell stand on the 3 point line. But if that happens, the other bigs wont close out on Powell as he cant shoot the 3. Clogs the lanes. IMO Carlisle is playing the analytics game. And he will take his chance on Luka doing those 3 things mentioned above 9 times out of 10 and living with the results.
OpiumDose
Sophomore
And1: 228

Post#412 » by OpiumDose » Wed Jan 1, 2020 8:18 pm

arkuo wrote: IMO Carlisle is playing the analytics game. And he will take his chance on Luka doing those 3 things mentioned above 9 times out of 10 and living with the results.

Then that's a terrible waste of KP's talent and potential. You could substitute him for any decent 3P shooter and nothing would change in the plays you mentioned. It's clear to me that KP is totally underused and misused when Luka plays - right now he basically is 3&D role player on max contract. Clear lack of plays ran for him - lack of PnR, lack of cuts, lack of lobs, lack of catch&shoots from midrange. The only plays KP is consistently involved in are shooting 3 pointers - that's pretty much it. And it will not cut it.
J_T
Veteran

Post#413 » by J_T » Thu Jan 2, 2020 4:06 am

OpiumDose wrote:
arkuo wrote: IMO Carlisle is playing the analytics game. And he will take his chance on Luka doing those 3 things mentioned above 9 times out of 10 and living with the results.

Then that's a terrible waste of KP's talent and potential. You could substitute him for any decent 3P shooter and nothing would change in the plays you mentioned. It's clear to me that KP is totally underused and misused when Luka plays - right now he basically is 3&D role player on max contract. Clear lack of plays ran for him - lack of PnR, lack of cuts, lack of lobs, lack of catch&shoots from midrange. The only plays KP is consistently involved in are shooting 3 pointers - that's pretty much it. And it will not cut it.

I think that's way too pessimistic. Which other 3&D "role" players in the league would you say have the same impact as KP does?
arkuo
General Manager

Post#414 » by arkuo » Thu Jan 2, 2020 6:31 am

I'm of the opinion that the reason why KP can't get much lift off the ground (or as much as we fans want him to do 25 to 30ppg) is because of the presence of Dwight Powell.

Yes, Powell acts as the primary screener for Luka Doncic so Powell can roll to the rim and catch lobs, which analytically he is elite. RC loves his analytics and will presumably ride that car until the wheels fall off.

If we have KP as the primary screener, he gets more scoring opportunities if he rolls or pops off a screen. This however puts Powell in an awkward position hanging outside the 3 point line (a role which KP does now). And since Powell cant shoot threes, the opposing big man just helps on defense in the paint, thus clogging the lane for Luka.

A lot of this can be fixed by getting a PF who can actually stretch the defense and shoot the 3. This gives KP a bigger role on offense and have the new guy play Robert Horry on kick out passes. At least on offense. KP is near elite on the defensive end IMO.

That being said, there arent a lot of attainable candidates for that specific role. If Cuban is in a spending mood, maybe Kevin Love (although I would hate this idea), maybe Thaddeus Young, Myles Turner? A cheap solution would actually be inserting Kleber into the starting lineup instead of Powell. But then again RC goes back to his analytics of having the Luka-Powell combo's +/- off the roof. So something has got to give here.
J_T
Veteran

Post#415 » by J_T » Thu Jan 2, 2020 6:41 am

arkuo wrote:I'm of the opinion that the reason why KP can't get much lift off the ground (or as much as we fans want him to do 25 to 30ppg) is because of the presence of Dwight Powell.

Yes, Powell acts as the primary screener for Luka Doncic so Powell can roll to the rim and catch lobs, which analytically he is elite. RC loves his analytics and will presumably ride that car until the wheels fall off.

If we have KP as the primary screener, he gets more scoring opportunities if he rolls or pops off a screen. This however puts Powell in an awkward position hanging outside the 3 point line (a role which KP does now). And since Powell cant shoot threes, the opposing big man just helps on defense in the paint, thus clogging the lane for Luka.

A lot of this can be fixed by getting a PF who can actually stretch the defense and shoot the 3. This gives KP a bigger role on offense and have the new guy play Robert Horry on kick out passes. At least on offense. KP is near elite on the defensive end IMO.

That being said, there arent a lot of attainable candidates for that specific role. If Cuban is in a spending mood, maybe Kevin Love (although I would hate this idea), maybe Thaddeus Young, Myles Turner? A cheap solution would actually be inserting Kleber into the starting lineup instead of Powell. But then again RC goes back to his analytics of having the Luka-Powell combo's +/- off the roof. So something has got to give here.

Powell actually sets screens better than KP. KP sets some weak screens, he doesn't commit enough, doesn't stay there for long enough. Both Powell and Kleber are better at setting screens. It shouldn't be that hard for KP to learn to set better screens but so far he hasn't done that. Not sure why not.

Another thing is that there are bigs that can't shoot threes and there are bigs that REALLY can't shoot threes. Powell is a consistent 30% 3-point shooter which makes it impossible for opponents to leave him alone and ignore him. And that's all you really need. However his point per possession is better when he rolls inside so that's why he mostly does that.

I don't think it's "just" analytics, I think it actually works what they have been doing.
ARTjoMS
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#416 » by ARTjoMS » Thu Jan 2, 2020 7:09 pm

J_T wrote:Powell actually sets screens better than KP. KP sets some weak screens, he doesn't commit enough, doesn't stay there for long enough. Both Powell and Kleber are better at setting screens. It shouldn't be that hard for KP to learn to set better screens but so far he hasn't done that. Not sure why not.

It could be that there is more to it than you understand. In summer I watched one of those videos of how Luka+KP will work and it claimed that KP has a skill of "faking screen", that is, pretending to make a screen so that opponent reacts to it, but not actually setting one.
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,262

Post#417 » by Imon » Fri Jan 3, 2020 8:46 am

Dude ...

KP is going to miss a week due to "knee soreness."
Are we sure this isn't something serious? I'm starting to get worried that this is a KD-like "calf" injury that was actually disguising a more serious achilles problem. I think it's important to note that KP's sore knee is not the same as his ACL knee but it is concerning nonetheless.
Read on Twitter
arkuo
General Manager

Post#418 » by arkuo » Sun Jan 5, 2020 4:21 pm

Imon wrote:Dude ...

Are we sure this isn't something serious? I'm starting to get worried that this is a KD-like "calf" injury that was actually disguising a more serious achilles problem. I think it's important to note that KP's sore knee is not the same as his ACL knee but it is concerning nonetheless.
Read on Twitter

Hopefully it's nothing serious because A) we just handed him a max contract even before he stepped on the court again. And B) we don't want Cuban pushing the panic button and trading the farm out for Kevin Love.
J_T
Veteran

Post#419 » by J_T » Sun Jan 5, 2020 4:33 pm

arkuo wrote:
Imon wrote:Dude ...

Read on Twitter

Hopefully it's nothing serious because A) we just handed him a max contract even before he stepped on the court again. And B) we don't want Cuban pushing the panic button and trading the farm out for Kevin Love.

Look at the bright side. Kevin Love could be paying all of the Cuban's fines. He has a lot of money.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#420 » by bran muffin » Wed Jan 8, 2020 12:59 am

KP will be out again for the Denver game. There is definitely more to this than just "knee soreness". The Mavs have a history of being extremely vague about their players' injury status. Remember they spent the entire 2017 season telling us that Seth Curry was only a couple of weeks away from playing.

I don't think it's a coincidence KP's knee started acting up a week after the Mavs grinded him almost 37 mpg over a 6-game stretch. They even played him on all 3 pairs of back-to-backs during December. I really thought the Mavs would manage his minutes better than this.

When KP comes back, they need to put him under a minutes restriction. Keep him under 30 minutes. Don't play him on back-to-backs. Playing him 37 mpg was plain ridiculous and now they're paying for it.

Return to Dallas Mavericks