ImageImageImageImageImage

Which current Warriors do you want to see back on the roster next season?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Re: Which current Warriors do you want to see back on the roster next season? 

Post#61 » by clyde21 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:27 pm

no to Spellman, no to Chriss, no to Evans, no to WCS, no to Dlo, no to Robinson, no to Burks

'continuinity' means nothing if the players suck...the top 2 teams in the league right now (Clips/Lakers) are brand new teams...the right talent needs to be in place before you start worrying about continuity.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#62 » by wco81 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:49 pm

Warriorfan wrote:

WCS, Burks, GR3 will all be traded at the deadline for picks

What do you think these players would bring back in return?

High second round picks? Mid to low first round picks at most?

Then the Warriors can draft more players like Jones, Evans and Poole with those picks?

These low picks won't produce like these vets for at least a couple of years, if ever.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#63 » by killmongrel » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:16 pm

wco81 wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:

Then the Warriors can draft more players like Jones, Evans and Poole with those picks?

These low picks won't produce like these vets for at least a couple of years, if ever.
I don't think it's about using those round picks. It's about bundling them with trades, etc.

With that said, I think way too many people here are dismissive with some of these players. Players like GR3 and Burks are better than what we've had coming off the bench these past few years. Burks for instance would have been more productive than Livingston his last year. The only issue with Burks is that we probably can't afford him next year so we might as well move him for an asset. With GR3, I'm all for trying to keep him.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#64 » by Mylie10 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:14 pm

I listened to a Robinson interview after the game last night and he was gushing about Steve Kerr. He said he's never had a head coach that has had his back like Kerr. He said he's always pushing him in such a positive way. Even when things aren't going well, he's still super positive.

It made me think there's a good shot that he'll come back next year and not go for a bigger payday. But money talks right? Tough to turn it down if someone comes knockin.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#65 » by Bayside » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:53 pm

Yes being around negative people or listening , reading etc is toxic. Positive people just like negative people set the tone and its contagious. The same message can be said by two different people but the tone can be different and have different effects. You see this in everyday regular life.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,172

Post#66 » by watch1958 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:13 pm

Burks and Robinson are both playing some of the best ball of their careers. GR3 is doing it as a lower usage guy, which may be a better sign as the team gets talent back and healthy next year. I don't really hate any of these guys, though I think I'd send Evans & Poole down to Santa Cruz for a long stretch. Let them play 30 mpg with Bowman and Smiley. Make them work on the Warriors system, offense & defense, over and over. If the coaches down there can't do that, find some who can. Dubs own that team, don't they?
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
wco81
RealGM

Post#67 » by wco81 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:18 pm

killmongrel wrote:
wco81 wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:

I don't think it's about using those round picks. It's about bundling them with trades, etc.

With that said, I think way too many people here are dismissive with some of these players. Players like GR3 and Burks are better than what we've had coming off the bench these past few years. Burks for instance would have been more productive than Livingston his last year. The only issue with Burks is that we probably can't afford him next year so we might as well move him for an asset. With GR3, I'm all for trying to keep him.

Yeah there's a good chance they will both get more than minimum salary deals next year.

Sure draft assets could be traded but not sure what kind of big mega deal the Warriors would be able to do, unless either Giannis or AD both express interest in coming here.

Guess there could be sign and trade deals.

Certainly the playoffs contenders might be interested in one or both of them but those are low picks, probably around 60 or if they give up a first, then around 25-30.

The other reason to trade them is to enhance the tank, because if they keep playing the way they have, the Warriors could be threats to win more games, especially if Curry and Looney come back and get regular minutes.
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#68 » by OptionZero » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:59 pm

we don't have bird rights (only the standard 20% raise) on GR3 or Burks
we are out several 2nds

it makes total sense to deal them at the deadline for picks, even if they aren't the best picks

we can still sign them back in the offseason since it would probably have taken some or part of the MLE anyways

it really doesn't give us an advantage to keep them, unless there's a handshake discount deal in place (which we should totally be working on right now)

GR3 technically has a player option but its for the minimum so thats not helpful.

If Lacob/Gruber wanna start backchanneling some "donations" and what not so they they stay next year for cheap, then . . . yeah keep them.

But if they're gonna want as much $$$ as possible . . . good bye.

The wing market is perpetually barren so i am guessing it would take a good chunk of the MLE to even bring one back next year, so you might as well get what you can for them now
ArtursNaudins
Sophomore
And1: 20

Post#69 » by ArtursNaudins » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:07 pm

Hi, I dont post often but I have been big time warriors fan since Andris Biedrins time here. Last few years it has not been such fun since domination is kind of boring but this season is something that gets my attention.

The players I would keep are:
Steph
Klay
Dray if Giannis comes than Dray should be traded maybe since they play same postion and for spacing purposes
Looney - hope he uses this season to regain his form completely because right now he looks really bad
Ky Bowman - I really like him as fifth guard in rotation who he capable to step up if needed. Much better than Cook who was basically small shooter, Bowman is much better defender and floor general, but little worse shooter
Lee - He is cheap and what Poole should be + he is in Curry family lol
Pascal - seems to be capable backup 3/4, his shot is decent but defense sucks, should take pointers from Dray
Spellman - also seems like legit nba player and his energy is just contaigous. He or Chriss should be like 5th big on the team.

All other players should be traded or let go.
wco81
RealGM

Post#70 » by wco81 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:27 pm

OptionZero wrote:we don't have bird rights (only the standard 20% raise) on GR3 or Burks
we are out several 2nds

it makes total sense to deal them at the deadline for picks, even if they aren't the best picks

we can still sign them back in the offseason since it would probably have taken some or part of the MLE anyways

it really doesn't give us an advantage to keep them, unless there's a handshake discount deal in place (which we should totally be working on right now)

GR3 technically has a player option but its for the minimum so thats not helpful.

If Lacob/Gruber wanna start backchanneling some "donations" and what not so they they stay next year for cheap, then . . . yeah keep them.

But if they're gonna want as much $$$ as possible . . . good bye.

The wing market is perpetually barren so i am guessing it would take a good chunk of the MLE to even bring one back next year, so you might as well get what you can for them now

Yeah you can’t really blame those guys if they go for the most money. They haven’t earned much in their careers.

Not realistic to expect them to give a discount out of any sense of loyalty or ring chasing. Would be great if they did but their agents and families are going to have them go for the most money.

Depending on what the Warriors do with DLo and the pick, they may still need rotation wings. We don’t know that the free agents who’d be available would be better than GR3 and Burks. This is where continuity would be an advantage for the team, as the coaching staff and other players like Draymond worked to fit them into the system and team culture.

Replacement wings next year would have to be a lot better than these two for it to be worth for the team to start from ground zero with players new to the team.

It would suck if they get some mid 30s picks for these guys and the team had to scramble to find leftover scraps in the FA market next summer. We’re in the last 2-3 years for the contention window of the core players.

Do we want to start from scratch with new players?

Remember when the Suns and other teams were beating them by 30 early in the season when the players were new?

Do we want to throw games away again early next season with new players?
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#71 » by michaelm » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:37 am

clyde21 wrote:no to Spellman, no to Chriss, no to Evans, no to WCS, no to Dlo, no to Robinson, no to Burks

'continuinity' means nothing if the players suck...the top 2 teams in the league right now (Clips/Lakers) are brand new teams...the right talent needs to be in place before you start worrying about continuity.

It depends on what is possible as is being said. If you can trade them for Giannis fine. Which wings are you thinking of who can be better bench players than Robinson and Burks ?.

With DLo it depends who you can get for him, and also imo how Meyers, Kerr and the senior players assess him. He has significant skills including scoring skills which many players will never have as someone said elsewhere. If they think he is teachable at age 23, or whatever he is, in terms of defense and shot selection/efficiency etc then he may be worth persisting with. How he plays with Steph is probably most crucial, but perhaps the decision to trade him will need to be made before that happens. If they think his IQ is irredeemable sure trade him while he has value. Still a smart move by Meyers whatever happens as far as my meagre understanding of capology goes.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#72 » by xdrta+ » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:48 am

michaelm wrote:
clyde21 wrote:no to Spellman, no to Chriss, no to Evans, no to WCS, no to Dlo, no to Robinson, no to Burks

It depends on what is possible as is being said. If you can trade them for Giannis fine. Which wings are you thinking of who can be better bench players than Robinson and Burks ?.

With DLo it depends who you can get for him, and also imo how Meyers, Kerr and the senior players assess him. He has significant skills including scoring skills which many players will never have as someone said elsewhere. If they think he is teachable at age 23, or whatever he is, in terms of defense and shot selection/efficiency etc then he may be worth persisting with. How he plays with Steph is probably most crucial, but perhaps the decision to trade him will need to be made before that happens. If they think his IQ is irredeemable sure trade him while he has value. Still a smart move by Meyers whatever happens as far as my meagre understanding of capology goes.

You're absolutely right. Whether he is kept or traded there is immense value in having that salary slot. If the Warriors had gotten nothing for Durant it would be $30M worth of value (in salary) that they could never recover. Considering the situation, it was one of the best moves the FO has ever made.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#73 » by clyde21 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:54 am

michaelm wrote:

i mean, let's say we trade Dlo to Minny for Covington and their 1st, then grab Lewis and Agbaji for with our 2 firsts, that right there we already have 3 wings that would be better than any of the guys we have today.
wco81
RealGM

Post#74 » by wco81 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:36 am

clyde21 wrote:
i mean, let's say we trade Dlo to Minny for Covington and their 1st, then grab Lewis and Agbaji for with our 2 firsts, that right there we already have 3 wings that would be better than any of the guys we have today.

Those guys would be chosen 10-20?

Maybe they would eventually be good but within the next 2-3 years when the Warriors could still contend?

Because there have been a lot of wings drafted very high who've taken years to pan out.

Ingram is having a career year so far, in his 4th season, just before he's due for an extension.

Jalen Brown is shooting lights out, but again, it's his 4th season.

Tatum started out shooting real well but this year but in this 3rd season, he's increased the volume of attempts including from 3 and his efficiency has gone down.

Then go lower in the draft and a lot of wings have been busts, like Wesley Johnson, Hejonja, Stanley Johnson etc.

So I'm not sure replacing vets with mid-level rookies is a good idea for the next 2-3 years of contention.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#75 » by clyde21 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:37 am

wco81 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Maybe they would eventually be good but within the next 2-3 years when the Warriors could still contend?

Because there have been a lot of wings drafted very high who've taken years to pan out.

Ingram is having a career year so far, in his 4th season, just before he's due for an extension.

Tatum started out shooting real well but this year but in this 3rd season, he's increased the volume of attempts including from 3 and his efficiency has gone down.

Then go lower in the draft and a lot of wings have been busts, like Wesley Johnson, Hejonja, Stanley Johnson etc.

So I'm not sure replacing vets with mid-level rookies is a good idea for the next 2-3 years of contention.

yes, thse guys would be able to contend right way.

really i don't understand how people are enamored with Robinson or Burks or whoever is on this roster is right now, you can find guys like Robinson/Burks in FA literally every year for the minimum, every year.

the plan should be to upgrade those guys ASAP.
BballIntellect
Junior
And1: 151

Post#76 » by BballIntellect » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:39 am

wco81 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Bingo.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#77 » by clyde21 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:42 am

BballIntellect wrote:
wco81 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Bingo.

no, not 'bingo'... you can replace Robinson's and Burks' and Lee's production quite easily, players like these are a dime a dozen every single FA, that's not an excuse not to look for an upgrade.

i'm not even sure what the point here is really...we should not draft a wing because we...have Robinson on the roster? how the **** is that 'bingo'?
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#78 » by Coxy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:45 am

clyde21 wrote:
wco81 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

really i don't understand how people are enamored with Robinson or Burks or whoever is on this roster is right now, you can find guys like Robinson/Burks in FA literally every year for the minimum, every year.

How do you know Lewis and Agbaji would be NBA ready from day 1 in an NBA uniform?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#79 » by clyde21 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:47 am

Coxy wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
wco81 wrote:

How do you know Lewis and Agbaji would be NBA ready from day 1 in an NBA uniform?

because I know my ****.

and even if their not...so what? we should pass up on good wing prospects because of Glen **** Robinson?

yea, good luck with that.
wco81
RealGM

Post#80 » by wco81 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:53 am

clyde21 wrote:
wco81 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Sure, upgrade but not with the 10-20th players in this draft class.

Those would be marginally better-graded prospects than the Evanes, the Pooles, the Jones, the Bells, the McCaws that the Warriors have had to settle for the last 4-5 years.

My guess is, unless there's a huge deal to be made which would require trading them or turning them into some draft assets, Myers will wait and evaluate them vs. players they may like in the draft. If they see wings in the draft whom they think can play really well as rookies, they'll go for it.

My guess is, they only do that for top 5 or top 10 talent, not for players chosen in the mid teens or later.

And only because the top 5 or 10 players have high ceilings, though they may not hit those high ceilings while Curry and Klay are still top 10 and 1op 20 players.

Return to Golden State Warriors