Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi
A New Hope

The Last Jedi
Phantom Menace
Rogue One
Revenge of the Sith & Force Awakens

Attack of the Clones
Solo

The OT I could watch endlessly. The second grouping are flawed movies that I'd watch again and enjoy. The bottom two I don't feel like I need to see ever again.

The ranking in that second tier is very surprising to say the least.

I thought TLJ was pushing toward new, interesting places, and was thematically strong. Canto bight was the worst part, the the Rey-Kylo stuff was interesting and I enjoyed Luke's character arc. I just really like podracing and the Maul v Obi-wan & Qui-gon lightsaber duel a whole lot. I think Rogue One could've been better if Jyn and Cassian weren't separate characters, but it was okay and brought a different viewpoint of the galactic civil war. Sith is hampered by some lazy filmmaking (god that Mace-Palp fight is awfully shot and acted) and TFA shoved too many "remember this thing you like?" moments and just lacked focus (Starkiller Base is still so dumb and not set up at all. Knights of Ren, Phasma and Snoke are just unsubstantiated allusions, I could go on).

The Rise of Skywalker is teetering between the second and third group right now. I've only seen it once, and I'm not sure I want to see it again.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
SuperSunsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,364

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#842 » by SuperSunsFan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:39 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:I personally rank the Star Wars films like this:

A New Hope

The Last Jedi
Phantom Menace
Rogue One

Attack of the Clones
Solo

The OT I could watch endlessly. The second grouping are flawed movies that I'd watch again and enjoy. The bottom two I don't feel like I need to see ever again.

I thought TLJ was pushing toward new, interesting places, and was thematically strong. Canto bight was the worst part, the the Rey-Kylo stuff was interesting and I enjoyed Luke's character arc. I just really like podracing and the Maul v Obi-wan & Qui-gon lightsaber duel a whole lot. I think Rogue One could've been better if Jyn and Cassian weren't separate characters, but it was okay and brought a different viewpoint of the galactic civil war. Sith is hampered by some lazy filmmaking (god that Mace-Palp fight is awfully shot and acted) and TFA shoved too many "remember this thing you like?" moments and just lacked focus (Starkiller Base is still so dumb and not set up at all. Knights of Ren, Phasma and Snoke are just unsubstantiated allusions, I could go on).

The Rise of Skywalker is teetering between the second and third group right now. I've only seen it once, and I'm not sure I want to see it again.

The problem i have with the woke movement in Hollywood is despite me recognizing its noble cause to include more minorities in important roles but do they really have to hire only unattractive people? seriously despite Hollywood claiming to be minorities friendly but while they would only hire the best looking white people (come on even poe who has just a very minor romance subplot in the movie they had to go the distance to cast this ultra beautiful romeo), when it comes to hiring minorities then just hire whoever is available don't matter if they are attractive enough to be on movies or not). That asian girl was not pretty, they would never hire a white woman whose attractiveness is this low. If their intention to promote asians and change people's perception for them of being nerdy is genuine you would think they would put good looking asians like myself :wink: in movies instead of further confirming the stereotype by putting all these geeky awkward looking people on TV/movies.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,166

Post#843 » by MrMiyagi » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:05 pm

SuperSunsFan wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

The problem i have with the woke movement in Hollywood is despite me recognizing its noble cause to include more minorities in important roles but do they really have to hire only unattractive people? seriously despite Hollywood claiming to be minorities friendly but while they would only hire the best looking white people (come on even poe who has just a very minor romance subplot in the movie they had to go the distance to cast this ultra beautiful romeo), when it comes to hiring minorities then just hire whoever is available don't matter if they are attractive enough to be on movies or not). That asian girl was not pretty, they would never hire a white woman whose attractiveness is this low. If their intention to promote asians and change people's perception for them of being nerdy is genuine you would think they would put good looking asians like myself :wink: in movies instead of further confirming the stereotype by putting all these geeky awkward looking people on TV/movies.

What is this post, and what does it have to do with my post? You get prompted into some very strange tangents...
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Post#844 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:39 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

A New Hope

The Last Jedi
Phantom Menace
Rogue One

Attack of the Clones
Solo

I am going to go see the new one today..probably within a couple hours. I did like The Last Jedi more than I thought. The whole codebreaker thing was unnecessary, but up to that point it was pretty strong. I don't know how much I liked the connection of Rey and Kylo either, but the Luke part wasn't as bad as I thought either. Luke a the end was strong. The end was great, and the fight with snokes, and how the lightspeed thing impacted Rey/Kylo, the near executioin of Finn, and of course helped the ones trying to escape to the base. I like how it alternates between three goog scenes. I did rewatch The Phantom Menace not too long ago with my nephew and did like the pod race and the fight with Maul vs Obi wan & Qui gon. I think they also had that new robot scharacter with like 8 arms which was a decent character. In Clones though I liked the whole fighting pit thing, almost gladiator like, and the end fight between Dooku and Yoda.

I need to rewatch Revenge of the Sith, Rogue One and Solo to get a full picture...along with seeing the new one. I'm surprised to see such mixed reactions. Some people seem to be a bit pompous with their reviews of Star Wars movies yet love Marvel movies (Duck, Sedale) where to me the Star Wars lore is much more interesting since it's more original material and not just based on old comics and the big Avengers movies have simply too many characters to be truly great movies imo.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#845 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:43 pm

SuperSunsFan wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I think they can push it too far, but many people think many foreign shows are much more original because every star is not near perfect looking. Maybe you think the asian girl isn't pretty, but Kylo Ren is one ugly guy too. Even the older star wars movies had minorities like Lando, and powerful females like Leia. I did notice in The Last Jedi though, Chewie became a vegetarian (well, maybe not, but he finally didn't eat the meat in front of those little guys and they had to free the caged animals)...now I don't mind that stuff, but it did stick out.
SuperSunsFan
Sixth Man

Post#846 » by SuperSunsFan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:52 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
SuperSunsFan wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:

I think they can push it too far, but many people think many foreign shows are much more original because every star is not near perfect looking. Maybe you think the asian girl isn't pretty, but Kylo Ren is one ugly guy too. Even the older star wars movies had minorities like Lando, and powerful females like Leia. I did notice in The Last Jedi though, Chewie became a vegetarian (well, maybe not, but he finally didn't eat the meat in front of those little guys and they had to free the caged animals)...now I don't mind that stuff, but it did stick out.

Even Finn agreed with me that she wasn't attractive at all so he ditched her to hook up with a certain legacy character's lost daughter. I thought kylo ren despite being unorthodox to traditional standards for handsomeness I bet you he could easily walk into a bar and get a bunch of girls home even if he wasn't rich and famous, he had that mick jagger Russell brand Steven tyler vibe that make them very popular with the ladies despite seen as ugly by most dudes.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#847 » by bwgood77 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:17 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

A New Hope

The Last Jedi
Phantom Menace
Rogue One

Attack of the Clones
Solo

I rewatched Empire, Return of the Jedi, TFA, and TLJ before watching the new one, and then saw the new one yesterday, and then watched Revenge of the Sith last night.

I liked this one. It was one that really didn't have any lulls, and
Spoiler:
it made sense that Rey would be a Palpatine. It also made sense that Palpatine was still pulling strings. He had always played behind the scenes and it also makes sense after Snoke came out of nowhere.

After Return of the Jedi you would assume Palpatine was dead. But after seeing Revenge of the Sith and his powers, no way would he be dead from what Darth Vader did. He wasn't injured then...just thrown, and a guy that powerful had shown he could fly.

The prequels had also established that the Jedi were far more powerful than the original trilogy showed us when we had mostly just seen a pathetic Luke who wasn't all that confident with the Force (not like he was as a pilot).

Why I saw it made sense that Rey was a Palpatine was how quickly she was as powerful as she was with little training, and then it amplified with some training.

Also, upon rewatch, The Last Jedi wasn't quite as bad as I had remembered, though the middle was unnecessary as well as some of the characters like the codebreaker. The stakes didn't seem as high until the end.

While I loved the original trilogy, in hindsight there wasn't quite as much there as I had originally thought. Some great scenes though, and characters, though most of the best ones were there in later movies. Han and Chewie were back as well as the droids and Leia. We just missed Luke, who I never cared for much. Vader of course, who was a great character was probably the biggest character missed, though of course we later saw him grow up.

I liked Rey far more than Luke, so that really probably fueled how much I loved TFA. I thought it took so much of the elements of A New Hope, some of Empire and some of RotJ to yes, bring back the nostalgia and really I know many didn't like that, feeling like it was a retread, I loved the nostalgia, the new characters, and it really felt like it brought a great series back. The Last Jedi felt like a disappointment, and I think with Abrams doing all three, they would have been better, but I liked the final one. I'll have to see again. But even some of the new characters were somewhat interesting, like the one they run into when taking someone to get the info out of C3P0.

One thing I didn't get was how when they were light speed skipping, the tie fighters kept doing it right behind them. I thought that was supposed to be impossible. And how Chewie got away on another ship...I had thought it clearly showed him get on a ship that blew up, and I was glad to see him alive, but this could have been done better.

I see opinions are extremely split on this one. I see most fans liked it, critics are super split, from perfect scores to good scores to mediocre ones, to bad ones, which is interesting.

I will have to really go back and think about the rankings again now. It feels like the bottom might now be The Phantom Menace or Solo, though I still enjoyed Solo and thought The Phantom Menace had some good scenes, but was mostly fairly uninteresting. Even though I kind of liked Attack of the Clones, it might rank 3rd worst, though that might be The Last Jedi, which moved up after rewatch.

All of the others though....TFA, Rogue One, the new one, the original trilogy and Revenge of the Sith I thought were very entertaining and good. I'm not sure how to rank them and where the new one fits. I will probably have to see again.
MrMiyagi

Post#848 » by MrMiyagi » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:48 am

bwgood77 wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I rewatched Empire, Return of the Jedi, TFA, and TLJ before watching the new one, and then saw the new one yesterday, and then watched Revenge of the Sith last night.

Spoiler:
it made sense that Rey would be a Palpatine. It also made sense that Palpatine was still pulling strings. He had always played behind the scenes and it also makes sense after Snoke came out of nowhere.

After Return of the Jedi you would assume Palpatine was dead. But after seeing Revenge of the Sith and his powers, no way would he be dead from what Darth Vader did. He wasn't injured then...just thrown, and a guy that powerful had shown he could fly.

The prequels had also established that the Jedi were far more powerful than the original trilogy showed us when we had mostly just seen a pathetic Luke who wasn't all that confident with the Force (not like he was as a pilot).

Why I saw it made sense that Rey was a Palpatine was how quickly she was as powerful as she was with little training, and then it amplified with some training.

Also, upon rewatch, The Last Jedi wasn't quite as bad as I had remembered, though the middle was unnecessary as well as some of the characters like the codebreaker. The stakes didn't seem as high until the end.

While I loved the original trilogy, in hindsight there wasn't quite as much there as I had originally thought. Some great scenes though, and characters, though most of the best ones were there in later movies. Han and Chewie were back as well as the droids and Leia. We just missed Luke, who I never cared for much. Vader of course, who was a great character was probably the biggest character missed, though of course we later saw him grow up.

I liked Rey far more than Luke, so that really probably fueled how much I loved TFA. I thought it took so much of the elements of A New Hope, some of Empire and some of RotJ to yes, bring back the nostalgia and really I know many didn't like that, feeling like it was a retread, I loved the nostalgia, the new characters, and it really felt like it brought a great series back. The Last Jedi felt like a disappointment, and I think with Abrams doing all three, they would have been better, but I liked the final one. I'll have to see again. But even some of the new characters were somewhat interesting, like the one they run into when taking someone to get the info out of C3P0.

One thing I didn't get was how when they were light speed skipping, the tie fighters kept doing it right behind them. I thought that was supposed to be impossible. And how Chewie got away on another ship...I had thought it clearly showed him get on a ship that blew up, and I was glad to see him alive, but this could have been done better.

I see opinions are extremely split on this one. I see most fans liked it, critics are super split, from perfect scores to good scores to mediocre ones, to bad ones, which is interesting.

I will have to really go back and think about the rankings again now. It feels like the bottom might now be The Phantom Menace or Solo, though I still enjoyed Solo and thought The Phantom Menace had some good scenes, but was mostly fairly uninteresting. Even though I kind of liked Attack of the Clones, it might rank 3rd worst, though that might be The Last Jedi, which moved up after rewatch.

All of the others though....TFA, Rogue One, the new one, the original trilogy and Revenge of the Sith I thought were very entertaining and good. I'm not sure how to rank them and where the new one fits. I will probably have to see again.

That's fair.

Spoiler:
The reason for me disliking The Rise of Skywalker so much is because of how convoluted the plot was. It was a weird series of find the thing that helps find the next thing that helps find the next thing and not in a fun riddle-y kind of way like a National Treasure.

And like, why does Palp call Rey and Kylo to him before his super murder fleet is ready to strike? Like, even in Return of the Jedi, the Rebels believe the new Death Star isn't fully operational, but it is, and that's Palp's ace in the hole. And it's not like he calls to Luke to try and turn him, Luke goes to Vader/Palp to try and save his father. On Exegol, Palp just give up the ultimate leverage (assured galactic destruction) for no apparent reason for some kids he has no real connection to (like, come on, he couldn't use his force powers to coerce his own child to the dark side?).

And why was the jedi hunter he sent after Rey so incompetent? The Mandalorian has already shown how effective Tracking Fobs are, why couldn't he find Rey?

Why did Palp have a weird tank full of Snokes? If he can clone things why didn't he just clone himself? Why didn't he just feed off of the life-force of his faithful instead of just walking around all corpsy?

How is an ancient sith language common enough to be programmed into a protocol droid built by a slave kid on a desert planet?

Like, some of the moments are great in theory - the lightsaber pass to Ben, for instance, and the existence of Babu Frik. Hell, even Palp coming back could have been fine, but this movie (hell, most of this series) doesn't set up enough for those moments to payoff, which is a damn shame because I like the ideas of the characters and the performances by their actors, but when there are sooooo just unjustifiably dumb story decisions made along the way that it expects you to just ignore.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#849 » by bwgood77 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:59 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:

Spoiler:

That's fair.

Spoiler:
The reason for me disliking The Rise of Skywalker so much is because of how convoluted the plot was. It was a weird series of find the thing that helps find the next thing that helps find the next thing and not in a fun riddle-y kind of way like a National Treasure.

And like, why does Palp call Rey and Kylo to him before his super murder fleet is ready to strike? Like, even in Return of the Jedi, the Rebels believe the new Death Star isn't fully operational, but it is, and that's Palp's ace in the hole. And it's not like he calls to Luke to try and turn him, Luke goes to Vader/Palp to try and save his father. On Exegol, Palp just give up the ultimate leverage (assured galactic destruction) for no apparent reason for some kids he has no real connection to (like, come on, he couldn't use his force powers to coerce his own child to the dark side?).

And why was the jedi hunter he sent after Rey so incompetent? The Mandalorian has already shown how effective Tracking Fobs are, why couldn't he find Rey?

Why did Palp have a weird tank full of Snokes? If he can clone things why didn't he just clone himself? Why didn't he just feed off of the life-force of his faithful instead of just walking around all corpsy?

How is an ancient sith language common enough to be programmed into a protocol droid built by a slave kid on a desert planet?

Like, some of the moments are great in theory - the lightsaber pass to Ben, for instance, and the existence of Babu Frik. Hell, even Palp coming back could have been fine, but this movie (hell, most of this series) doesn't set up enough for those moments to payoff, which is a damn shame because I like the ideas of the characters and the performances by their actors, but when there are sooooo just unjustifiably dumb story decisions made along the way that it expects you to just ignore.

Spoiler:
Hasn't Palpatine been trying to find Rey forever? He probably just figured he could turn her or kill her. It doesn't seem like she would have been easy to find. She didn't even know she had The Force until very recently and prior to that she lived by herself and was a scavenger on a planet no one went to. I guess I need to watch again because I missed the cloning and tank of snokes.

I don't really know who Babu Frik is either.

But yes, the trilogy would have obviously made sense if this movie was set up better in the last one and that one had built effectively off on TFA.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,342

Post#850 » by sunskerr » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:02 am

Allow me to nerd out for 5 minutes because there was a very easy way to tie the entire saga together plot wise with the new trilogy that keeps the relevance of the new characters front and center. I thought about it for all of 5 minutes (potential spoilers).

Spoiler:
All they had to do was have Rey find Luke, who has been looking for a way to revive Anakin from the force after-life whatever, because Luke knows that his father is the chosen one after reading the old Jedi texts. However, Luke was fearful of using the dark side powers (as established by Palpatine in ep III- "tragedy of darth plagueis) to revive Anakin, so he went into hiding. Rey would be the one to bring Luke out of hiding and show him it's ok to use the dark side. That actually gives Luke a new character arc without making him look like a failure, that is consistent with his character.

Then they all take on the Emperor together, and Anakin makes an appearance for only like 10 seconds to finish off the emperor. Rey and Kylo's character arcs can essentially stay the same. It also removes the problem of Rey's parentage- it doesn't matter whether she is "nobody" (Last Jedi) or "somebody" (Rise of Skywalker). Anakin's prophecy is kept intact without any silly extra explanations required about what it meant. The ending scene can be the same and Rey uses the Skywalker name to keep the legacy/hope alive

Boom. Instantly a more cohesive 9 film saga. No disconnect between the first 6 films and the newest 3. I still enjoyed the last skywalker and thought at least the force awakens was pretty good. But a lot of the overarching plot was obviously not really planned out.
SuperSunsFan
Sixth Man

Post#851 » by SuperSunsFan » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:01 am

sunskerr wrote:Allow me to nerd out for 5 minutes because there was a very easy way to tie the entire saga together plot wise with the new trilogy that keeps the relevance of the new characters front and center. I thought about it for all of 5 minutes (potential spoilers).

Spoiler:
All they had to do was have Rey find Luke, who has been looking for a way to revive Anakin from the force after-life whatever, because Luke knows that his father is the chosen one after reading the old Jedi texts. However, Luke was fearful of using the dark side powers (as established by Palpatine in ep III- "tragedy of darth plagueis) to revive Anakin, so he went into hiding. Rey would be the one to bring Luke out of hiding and show him it's ok to use the dark side. That actually gives Luke a new character arc without making him look like a failure, that is consistent with his character.

Then they all take on the Emperor together, and Anakin makes an appearance for only like 10 seconds to finish off the emperor. Rey and Kylo's character arcs can essentially stay the same. It also removes the problem of Rey's parentage- it doesn't matter whether she is "nobody" (Last Jedi) or "somebody" (Rise of Skywalker). Anakin's prophecy is kept intact without any silly extra explanations required about what it meant. The ending scene can be the same and Rey uses the Skywalker name to keep the legacy/hope alive

Boom. Instantly a more cohesive 9 film saga. No disconnect between the first 6 films and the newest 3. I still enjoyed the last skywalker and thought at least the force awakens was pretty good. But a lot of the overarching plot was obviously not really planned out.

Spoiler:
unlike most people i found Rey's parentage the most logical and probably the one thing that was already planned from the beginning, whether they planned to literally bring palpatine back or if snoke was originally designed to be the final boss, not a reincarnation of Palpatine or a puppet in anyway, who knew of Rey's parentage and planning to use it to achieve his own goal and got changed by rian johnson in the second movie is another story. most people had guessed Rey was blood related to either Palpatine or skywalker right from the beginning so the reveal wasn't that much a surprise at all. Like season 8 of GOT the story outline is not the real problem, these things can be made up and go any directions the screen writers wanted and still turn out fine, its the execution and the way the stories were told that doomed both franchises. Too much plot threads got started either they ended up being irrelevant, unresolved, resolved too abruptly or not in a satisfying manner is the real problem. For example what exactly is the point of making it that hacking into 3po's brain to force a translation of sith language would wipe out his memory when they could easily make a backup and got it resolved in no time? when 3po's loss of memory did not move the plot or at least create an hurdle for the heroes to overcome what's the point? there were tons of nonsense like that in this movie, seriously what exactly is the point of chewie getting captured beside being an excuse for the crew to get on the ship, get captured themselves, and as a way to reveal hux is a turn coat? then what is the point for hux being a turn coat besides being this deus deus ex machina saving them in the nick of time, nothing much, he even gets kill off literally the next scene, see the contritely convoluted these plot points were. however I still enjoyed the movie because if you over analyzing any beloved movies you can find just as many plot holes. Why didn't Dr strange who had foreseen all the possible futures and how the only way they could achieve victory played out but not telling them not to bring good Nebula to the place and time where she would get exposed to the old thanos? why didn't the avengers contact their biggest gun captain marvel before they began their mission, her being there 5 minutes earlier could have spared many lives lost in the final showdown with thanos? after tony stark had stolen the gems, why did he needlessly sacrifice himself when at that point there was no urgency for him to do so as Captain Marvel could easily subdue a thanos with no gauntlet? these are popcorn movies, just enjoy it as such.
SuperSunsFan
Sixth Man

Post#852 » by SuperSunsFan » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:28 am

Spoiler:
A lot of the obstacles in ROS were unnecessary to the plot moving forward but just being there as fillers to pad the excitement or giving off a false sense of danger for the protagonists that the audience pretty much knew they would overcome easily. what exactly was the point of quicksand scene, nothing much, just a false danger that audience know they would survive easily and to set up the next false danger that would eventually be the set up of Rey's healing power. the pacing is all wrong in this film, danger after danger after danger with no break in between at all, just when they get out a jam they fall into another hurdle almost immediately. I am very conflicted, as a comic/anime guy growing up i could appreciate all the spectacles and beautiful imagery presented in the movie but I could go on and on with all the problems with this film's plot...
MrMiyagi

Post#853 » by MrMiyagi » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:37 pm

SuperSunsFan wrote:
Spoiler:
A lot of the obstacles in ROS were unnecessary to the plot moving forward but just being there as fillers to pad the excitement or giving off a false sense of danger for the protagonists that the audience pretty much knew they would overcome easily. what exactly was the point of quicksand scene, nothing much, just a false danger that audience know they would survive easily and to set up the next false danger that would eventually be the set up of Rey's healing power. the pacing is all wrong in this film, danger after danger after danger with no break in between at all, just when they get out a jam they fall into another hurdle almost immediately. I am very conflicted, as a comic/anime guy growing up i could appreciate all the spectacles and beautiful imagery presented in the movie but I could go on and on with all the problems with this film's plot...

That's how I feel about most of the new trilogy as a whole. TFA, for all its flaws has grown on me (after initially being disappointed). TLJ I enjoyed much more walking out of the theatre despite its apparent flaws. TROS I went in with incredibly low expectations and didn't leave the theater disappointed like I did with TFA, but at the same time, I couldn't really say I enjoyed it. It might take some rewatches to really find the good of the film (it has some cool moments for sure, but is it enough?) and just accept the bad.
darmani
Sixth Man
And1: 2,729

Post#854 » by darmani » Mon Jan 6, 2020 10:19 am

Read on Twitter

I'm crying
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#855 » by TASTIC » Tue Jan 7, 2020 7:25 pm

About to listen to Simmons' new pod with Nash recapping the 2004-10 Suns, should be a heart-breaker with some smiles thrown in there...

https://player.fm/series/book-of-basketball-20/steve-nash-on-the-horry-shove-2007s-heartbreak-and-the-critically-acclaimed-2004-10-suns-book-of-basketball-20
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,911

Post#856 » by grumpysaddle » Tue Jan 7, 2020 9:51 pm

Anyone else watch Letterkenny? Been meaning to start for a while, then binge watched 6 seasons in like 3 days.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#857 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 11:19 pm

SuperSunsFan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
SuperSunsFan wrote:The problem i have with the woke movement in Hollywood is despite me recognizing its noble cause to include more minorities in important roles but do they really have to hire only unattractive people? seriously despite Hollywood claiming to be minorities friendly but while they would only hire the best looking white people (come on even poe who has just a very minor romance subplot in the movie they had to go the distance to cast this ultra beautiful romeo), when it comes to hiring minorities then just hire whoever is available don't matter if they are attractive enough to be on movies or not). That asian girl was not pretty, they would never hire a white woman whose attractiveness is this low. If their intention to promote asians and change people's perception for them of being nerdy is genuine you would think they would put good looking asians like myself :wink: in movies instead of further confirming the stereotype by putting all these geeky awkward looking people on TV/movies.

Even Finn agreed with me that she wasn't attractive at all so he ditched her to hook up with a certain legacy character's lost daughter. I thought kylo ren despite being unorthodox to traditional standards for handsomeness I bet you he could easily walk into a bar and get a bunch of girls home even if he wasn't rich and famous, he had that mick jagger Russell brand Steven tyler vibe that make them very popular with the ladies despite seen as ugly by most dudes.

I'm more triggered that the woke crowd are triggered that a minority has less lines or less of a role than *they* wanted.

The amount of articles I read post-ROS being released about the outrage of that asian girl getting less screen time and less of a role in the whole scheme of things just annoyed me. Film is art, sometimes it can be political and pushing agendas/narratives but a lot of times it's just art and it's as simple as that. The outrage about the portrayal of Bruce Lee and the lack of lines from Margot Robbie's character in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and the outrage from the lack of lines from Anna Pacquin's character in the Irishman (which I thought was a masterpiece of cinema) just annoys me. Not every film has to tackle a contemporary issue and there shouldn't be outrage because a certain film doesn't tackle that contemporary issue or pushes the contemporary narrative especially when it comes at the expense of storytelling. If it's not vital to the film then I don't think the film *needs* to address the multitude of contemporary issues that exists today. There's film for that which are great films in and of itself like Hidden Figures which I really enjoyed.

Yeah I get it's partly my fault for reading the articles but these types of articles/headlines are hard to miss nowadays.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#858 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 12:32 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
SuperSunsFan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I'm more triggered that the woke crowd are triggered that a minority has less lines or less of a role than *they* wanted.

The amount of articles I read post-ROS being released about the outrage of that asian girl getting less screen time and less of a role in the whole scheme of things just annoyed me. Film is art, sometimes it can be political and pushing agendas/narratives but a lot of times it's just art and it's as simple as that. The outrage about the portrayal of Bruce Lee and the lack of lines from Margot Robbie's character in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and the outrage from the lack of lines from Anna Pacquin's character in the Irishman (which I thought was a masterpiece of cinema) just annoys me. Not every film has to tackle a contemporary issue and there shouldn't be outrage because a certain film doesn't tackle that contemporary issue or pushes the contemporary narrative especially when it comes at the expense of storytelling. If it's not vital to the film then I don't think the film *needs* to address the multitude of contemporary issues that exists today. There's film for that which are great films in and of itself like Hidden Figures which I really enjoyed.

Yeah I get it's partly my fault for reading the articles but these types of articles/headlines are hard to miss nowadays.

I didn't hear about any of this outrage. Sounds about as ridiculous as the outrage when Ayton only goes for 14/12/4 assists, 2 blocks and a steal.
MrMiyagi

Post#859 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Jan 8, 2020 12:56 am

I mean, it looks like JJ just had no idea what to do with Rose and unceremoniously wrote her out. A lot of what I didn't like about Rise of Skywalker was how little effort there seemed to go into the story. It just seemed like a bunch of half-cool moments strung together that doesn't make much sense as to why anything is happening.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,052

Post#860 » by SlovenianDragon » Wed Jan 8, 2020 1:12 am

grumpysaddle wrote:Anyone else watch Letterkenny? Been meaning to start for a while, then binge watched 6 seasons in like 3 days.

I hate the show personally.

Return to Phoenix Suns