ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Re: UCF Football vs Marshall 

Post#1041 » by UCF » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:58 pm

Big news possibly this afternoon. Looks like we’ll have a new sponsor of the stadium.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,411

Post#1042 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:34 pm

UCF wrote:Big news possibly this afternoon. Looks like we’ll have a new sponsor of the stadium.

and apparently it's 3x the current rate, so that's huge. Hopefully it's not something weird or lame, lol.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1043 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:55 pm

On a sad note, Lance McDowdell was murdered last night.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

(tweet doesn't confirm it, but there are news stories out of Arizona confirming).
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1044 » by UCF » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:33 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
UCF wrote:Big news possibly this afternoon. Looks like we’ll have a new sponsor of the stadium.

and apparently it's 3x the current rate, so that's huge. Hopefully it's not something weird or lame, lol.

No go for announcement today.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#1045 » by craig01 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:28 pm

It was going to be roofclaim.com

Apparently their track record in Florida and with insurance companies is somewhat of an issue.

Politics.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#1046 » by nymets1 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:21 am

UCF with another bowl victory vs Marshall today, LETS GO!!!!
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1047 » by UCF » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:28 am

When ten wins is not good enough, expectations have really changed. Really interested to see the year 2 from Gabriel with first team reps in the spring and fall.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,696

Post#1048 » by Viper1500 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:37 pm

Good win, I am expecting a similar season next year.. hope I am wrong.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1049 » by craig01 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:25 pm

Viper1500 wrote:Good win, I am expecting a similar season next year.. hope I am wrong.

I hope things are even better.

If we have to “settle” for ten wins ....

For one, I will never be unhappy with a ten win season. Been through too much through the years.

UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1050 » by UCF » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:22 pm

Just the thought of “expecting” to win still feels weird. Anything less than 10 wins for this team is a failure.
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#1051 » by nymets1 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:35 pm

10 wins is a good year!! Most teams in a down year win 7 games or less unless your Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State or Oklahoma.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,907

Post#1052 » by Knightro » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:48 am

If 10-3 is the new "down" year for UCF, then this program has come a long way in the best way possible.

I think they're going to be really good next season. Here's my WAY too early projections for 2020 offensively...

Quarterback
Dillon Gabriel will enter next spring as the unquestioned QB1 after the greatest freshman season (3,653 yards, 29 TD) in UCF history. Darriel Mack Jr. is coming back and will be QB2. McKenzie Milton is going to be given every opportunity to return to the football field, but I'm skeptical if he will be able to ever make it all the way back. UCF could be in the market for a HS commit or grad transfer here.

Running Back
Otis Anderson (726 yards, 6.4 YPC), Bentavious Thompson (604 yards, 6.9 YPC) and Greg McRae (529 yards, 5.4 YPC) can all play at a high level. They'll miss the unique home run threat of Killins, but this is still an absolutely loaded position.

Wide Receiver
Losing Gabe Davis to the NFL Draft is a big blow, but Tre Nixon (49 REC, 830 yards) and Marlon Williams (51 REC, 717 yards) are both returning as experienced seniors. Williams in particular I think could be primed for a big final year. Deep threat Jacob Harris (19 REC, 448 yards) was just granted an extra year of eligibility as well. The name to remember is Jaylon Robinson, a 4 star transfer from Oklahoma who will be a RS sophomore in 2020.

Tight End
UCF doesn't utilize their TE's much in the passing game, but the top three TEs are all back. Jake Hescock should remain in his role as one of the primary lead blockers.

Offensive Line
UCF is losing two very experienced starters. C Jordan Johnson and RT Jake Brown made 51 and 38 career starts respectively. The good news is that UCF is bringing back three experienced starters. LT Sam Jackson, LG Cole Schneider and RG Parker Boudreaux are all back. Tennessee grad transfer Marcus Tatum should get the first crack at RT. Not sure who will replace Johnson yet.

Only losing four guys (Killins, Davis, Johnson, Brown) from the first or second string of this year’s offense. They should easily be a top 10 unit in the nation again in 2020.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1053 » by craig01 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:14 pm

Adding to your post .... the depth of returning players on defense.

D’line has potential to become one of the best in school history.

Morris-Brash, Charlton, maybe Cam Goode being more productive.

If ucf stays healthy they should at minimum contend for the AAC title.

The pressure is on CJH and his staff next year.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,907

Post#1054 » by Knightro » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:22 pm

craig01 wrote:Adding to your post .... the depth of returning players on defense.

D’line has potential to become one of the best in school history.

Morris-Brash, Charlton, maybe Cam Goode being more productive.

If ucf stays healthy they should at minimum contend for the AAC title.

The pressure is on CJH and his staff next year.

The Knights are only losing three defensive starters, but unfortunately all three players - DE Brendon Hayes (team leading 7.5 sacks), LB Nate Evans (team leading 112 tackles) and CB Neville Clarke (team leading 11 PBUs) - are really good, so UCF will have to figure out how to replace them.

Defensive Line
UCF rotated so many young guys on their DL this year that they're bringing back I believe 9 players who played regular or semi regular snaps a year ago. I think Morris-Brash and Charlton could both make a leap and fill the sack void being left by Hayes' graduation.

Linebacker
Nate Evans is the toughest guy on the whole team to replace IMO. Unquestionably the defense's team leader and a quality WLB. Eric Mitchell will get the first crack at replacing Evans in the starting lineup alongside Eriq Gilyard. Both guys got a lot of snaps this year so they have experience, but can they fill the leadership void?

Defensive Back
Clarke is a very talented player, but the Knights are bringing back a TON of experienced guys in the secondary. Assuming Brandon Moore comes back from his knee injury and is the same caliber of player, you're looking at potentially 5 senior starters on the back end.

CB1: Brandon Moore (senior)
CB2: Tay Gowan (senior)
Nickel CB: Aaron Robinson (senior)
FS: Antwan Collier (senior)
SS: Richie Grant (senior)

As experienced of a position group as you'll ever see. Zamari Maxwell could also be a starter ahead of Gowan.

All in all, the defense has the chance to be REALLY good. All depends on who can step up and fill the leadership role being left behind by Evans and Hayes.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1055 » by UCFJayBird » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:38 pm

Yea, next year's team should be stacked. Considering our 3 losses this year are by seven points combined and all on the road with a true freshman QB, i'd say that's an awesome down year. We should be the favorites to win the AAC in my opinion.

On one hand it's disappointing to know how close we were to another truly great season. And playing the what if game with Milton (if he didn't get hurt) is a pit of despair, lol. But i'm very excited for next season. Too bad it's so far away.
silent1900
Rookie
And1: 338

Post#1056 » by silent1900 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:56 am

I guess I am behind the times, but I just saw that we lost Mike Wright and Sam Brown (to Vandy and WVU, I think). For all of our success, our recruiting classes are just middle of the road in the American, much less nationally.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1057 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:06 pm

silent1900 wrote:I guess I am behind the times, but I just saw that we lost Mike Wright and Sam Brown (to Vandy and WVU, I think). For all of our success, our recruiting classes are just middle of the road in the American, much less nationally.

The trouble with rankings and stars is that it's so subjective and influenced by perception. There are so many recruits and kids to evaluate that most of these sites are barely looking at each recruit. Instead they rely on who is offering. So if a kid has interest from a bunch of SEC schools he might get a 4* without ever being critically evaluated. Meanwhile a kid who isn't receiving as much attention, maybe because he plays for a lesser known school, or maybe there's just not a buzz about him for whatever reason, might be just as talented but only has a couple offers from "P5" and then a bunch from G5 schools, and suddenly he's a 3*, or if the P5 isn't looking at him at all he might be a 2*.

That isn't to say 4 star and 5 star players aren't more likely to reach the NFL. I think those stars are warranted, but I think the gap between 4 star and 3 star is much smaller than people perceive. And I think the difference between the 25th ranked class and the 50th ranked class isn't much either.

Regarding UCF's classes in particular: We recruit primarily in Florida, and it's often said most Florida recruits are a star below what they would be if they were in another state. The depth of talent makes it difficult to truly find the stand outs that there are tons of sleepers and diamonds for UCF to find.

I'd be curious to see if rivals or 247 or any other site would ever start evaluating classes after they graduate. It'd be interesting to see how UCF's classes compare when they look at collegiate success for each recruit.
silent1900
Rookie
And1: 338

Post#1058 » by silent1900 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:38 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
silent1900 wrote:I guess I am behind the times, but I just saw that we lost Mike Wright and Sam Brown (to Vandy and WVU, I think). For all of our success, our recruiting classes are just middle of the road in the American, much less nationally.

The trouble with rankings and stars is that it's so subjective and influenced by perception. There are so many recruits and kids to evaluate that most of these sites are barely looking at each recruit. Instead they rely on who is offering. So if a kid has interest from a bunch of SEC schools he might get a 4* without ever being critically evaluated. Meanwhile a kid who isn't receiving as much attention, maybe because he plays for a lesser known school, or maybe there's just not a buzz about him for whatever reason, might be just as talented but only has a couple offers from "P5" and then a bunch from G5 schools, and suddenly he's a 3*, or if the P5 isn't looking at him at all he might be a 2*.

That isn't to say 4 star and 5 star players aren't more likely to reach the NFL. I think those stars are warranted, but I think the gap between 4 star and 3 star is much smaller than people perceive. And I think the difference between the 25th ranked class and the 50th ranked class isn't much either.

Regarding UCF's classes in particular: We recruit primarily in Florida, and it's often said most Florida recruits are a star below what they would be if they were in another state. The depth of talent makes it difficult to truly find the stand outs that there are tons of sleepers and diamonds for UCF to find.

I'd be curious to see if rivals or 247 or any other site would ever start evaluating classes after they graduate. It'd be interesting to see how UCF's classes compare when they look at collegiate success for each recruit.

I agree with everything you said, and I also would be interested in ‘retroactive evaluations’ of recruiting classes. I just don’t like seeing us lose commits to these lesser programs at this point.

(Though at least in Wright’s case playing time prospects likely played into it)
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#1059 » by nymets1 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:37 am

It's almost time for the UCF basketball games, Miami was the only real team we played out of conference. Conference play has a lot more interest when we get to play at home( Houston, Memphis, Wichita State, Cincinnati, Temple,etc). They haven't had my presence there yet this year. Last year I got on Jarron Cumberland of Cincinnati at our last home game of the year and I helped UCF get that win at home.

nymets1
Head Coach

Post#1060 » by nymets1 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:47 pm

Is it possible this is open to the public? I wish I could go and see Alabama.

Read on Twitter

Return to Orlando Magic