ImageImageImage

Cavs 2019-2020 Regular Season

Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Cavs 2019-2020 Regular Season 

Post#341 » by Stillwater » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:28 am

cavs4872 wrote:Why do we have a game tomorrow at 4:00?

there is a jr celtics gameday clinic at TD Garden at 7am the next morning so apparently it requires significant tear downs/ kiosk set ups etc.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,144

Post#342 » by jbk1234 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:19 pm

So I was looking at the Cavs schedule and January is actually looking pretty decent in terms of softer opponents. To date, two-thirds of the teams we have played have been playoff teams and a majority of those playoff teams are top-4 seeds. So, the time to showcase Love and TT is in January and the sooner we can move them the better if that's the plan. We're 8-3 against non-playoff teams and we could easily find ourselves higher than the 10th slot by the end of January if both TT and Love are still on the roster. In fact, there are only 14 or so highly-likely losses (against really good teams) left on the schedule. We could conceivably finish the season at .500 and in the 8th seed if they're both still on the roster at the end of year.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#343 » by jbk1234 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:53 pm

We're now 9-3 against non-playoff teams. We need the Hawks or Raptors to make their best TT offers now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#344 » by gflem » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:04 pm

jbk1234 wrote:We're now 9-3 against non-playoff teams. We need the Hawks or Raptors to make their best TT offers now.

That Twolves team (without KAT/Wiggins) might be the worst team I have seen since the Darius/Ricky/Smush Cavs team. just terrible Bball last night from both teams. Cavs had been looking pretty good for the last week but not last night
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#345 » by jbk1234 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:17 pm

gflem wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:We're now 9-3 against non-playoff teams. We need the Hawks or Raptors to make their best TT offers now.

That Twolves team (without KAT/Wiggins) might be the worst team I have seen since the Darius/Ricky/Smush Cavs team. just terrible Bball last night from both teams. Cavs had been looking pretty good for the last week but not last night
That's what we're going to look like without Love. No real spacing or ball movement. Just young guys driving into a packed lane with TT getting garbage buckets off of missed shots. If Garland doesn't shoot well from range, we lose that game.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#346 » by jbk1234 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:19 am

We've got the fourth easiest schedule in the league going forward. I have very conflicted feelings as to how to proceed. If we owned our pick outright, I might try to make the 8th seed.

http://www.tankathon.com/remaining_schedule_strength

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#347 » by Stillwater » Fri Jan 3, 2020 11:32 pm

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=415&t=1925838
deserves it... Cook can definitely be a rotation player for this team and more reason to think at least 1 front court Cav is on the move in next couple days
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#348 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 6:49 am

This is a bad look. The Cavs are going to have a very difficult time signing quality F.A.s after this. Good players want to know that your organization isn't going to allow young players to hijack the offense. Second time in two consecutive rebuilds this has happened.

https://cavaliersnation.com/2020/01/04/former-cavs-teammates-react-kevin-love-indicating-unhappy-social-media/

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#349 » by Stillwater » Mon Jan 6, 2020 2:51 pm

jbk1234 wrote:This is a bad look. The Cavs are going to have a very difficult time signing quality F.A.s after this. Good players want to know that your organization isn't going to allow young players to hijack the offense. Second time in two consecutive rebuilds this has happened.

https://cavaliersnation.com/2020/01/04/former-cavs-teammates-react-kevin-love-indicating-unhappy-social-media/

Former Cavs players making fun of Loves woes indicated to me they know him well enough to see his chair punching and screaming at GM's antics are all staged fake anger to try to force the issue . The only thing bad about it is it makes the org and gm look like they trusted somebody when they paid them that they shouldn't have.
You can blame these young inexperienced teammates imo along with a rookie coach who's never had to deal with this sh..t you can also suggest they draft poorly and should have taken proven players at 8 and 5 with no ceiling. Rebuilding sucks and this season is worst than last because there is no one great at creating offense and now that JC is gone noone that can create for them self.
The fact they are using the score first Sexton and the former hs star with no business being a starter as starting guards is more than acceptable when tanking
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#350 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 3:31 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:This is a bad look. The Cavs are going to have a very difficult time signing quality F.A.s after this. Good players want to know that your organization isn't going to allow young players to hijack the offense. Second time in two consecutive rebuilds this has happened.

Former Cavs players making fun of Loves woes indicated to me they know him well enough to see his chair punching and screaming at GM's antics are all staged fake anger to try to force the issue . The only thing bad about it is it makes the org and gm look like they trusted somebody when they paid them that they shouldn't have.
You can blame these young inexperienced teammates imo along with a rookie coach who's never had to deal with this sh..t you can also suggest they draft poorly and should have taken proven players at 8 and 5 with no ceiling. Rebuilding sucks and this season is worst than last because there is no one great at creating offense and now that JC is gone noone that can create for them self.
The fact they are using the score first Sexton and the former hs star with no business being a starter as starting guards is more than acceptable when tanking

Dude, Clarkson was on the team a couple of weeks ago. LBJ came here and physically took the ball away from Kyrie because the Cavs failed to address his bad habits early in his career. Everyone can see what's going on. There's a big difference between young players making mistakes because they're young and figuring things out and young guys doing whatever they want because an organization allows them to.

Just once, I'd like you to articulate a plan as to how the Cavs build a winning team around Sexton as their leading scorer while he leads the team in FGAs (mostly at the rim) and fails to average even 3apg. Like what type of players do you need to surround him with to make that approach successful?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#351 » by Stillwater » Mon Jan 6, 2020 5:30 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Dude, Clarkson was on the team a couple of weeks ago. LBJ came here and physically took the ball away from Kyrie because the Cavs failed to address his bad habits early in his career. Everyone can see what's going on. There's a big difference between young players making mistakes because they're young and figuring things out and young guys doing whatever they want because an organization allows them to.

Just once, I'd like you to articulate a plan as to how the Cavs build a winning team around Sexton as their leading scorer while he leads the team in FGAs (mostly at the rim) and fails to average even 3apg. Like what type of players do you need to surround him with to make that approach successful?

who said they were building around him? he is a tank commander in the role he is in right now with no reall great shooters around him and his ability to make shots last season along with Garlands ability to knock down shots from everywhere in a one on none workout this summer was the ultimate expectation of this franchise going into this season and with sextons shooting slump and that is what it is...not sure if somebody tried to change his form or what but he needs to go back to whatever works, and Garland although better next to KPJ who can actually play off ball has been pretty unimpressive overall no matter what situation he has been in. He forces passes instead of making them, he is not shooting well unless wide open, but at least he has been making them wide open unlike Sexton who cant hit the broad side of a barn with a dump truck at 100mph. But they are tanking tanking tanking and developing as ugly as it has been has to be the mantra here . whomever they build around unfortunately probably aint on the roster yet.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,386

Post#352 » by JonFromVA » Tue Jan 7, 2020 2:31 am

I get why they're throwing minutes at the kids, but they need to find a way to encourage good habits. Do it right or be a feeder team for competent teams.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#353 » by Stillwater » Tue Jan 7, 2020 6:15 am

So they convert cook from two way then fuc... In waive him why? Exactly the kind of 3/4 forward to develop. If there is anything I don't agree with it's the way they handle the end of the bench.
Not giving Z extension now this
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#354 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 2:50 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#355 » by Stillwater » Tue Jan 7, 2020 5:07 pm

LOL Frye backing his homeboys and throwing shade at the young bull.
saying "Establish anyone can be benched and wouldn’t give minutes to players that don’t play winning basketball. "
is laughable given that would mean none of the rookies ,Sexton or anyone else that needs to develop would ever get minutes in actual games and it would take their entire contracts before they were any good.hate his take on that despite it being a good way to do it if you actually have players competent enough to play winning basketball
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#356 » by Revenged25 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 5:40 pm

Stillwater wrote:LOL Frye backing his homeboys and throwing shade at the young bull.
saying "Establish anyone can be benched and wouldn’t give minutes to players that don’t play winning basketball. "
is laughable given that would mean none of the rookies ,Sexton or anyone else that needs to develop would ever get minutes in actual games and it would take their entire contracts before they were any good.hate his take on that despite it being a good way to do it if you actually have players competent enough to play winning basketball

Well the one rook that was playing winning basketball is out for a few weeks with the knee sprain. Honestly I wouldn't mind sitting Garland and Sexton for a bit to show them that they need to play better, or at least reduce their minutes and take them out of the starting line-up to signal that they need to start playing smarter. It's not much but it's a start.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#357 » by Stillwater » Tue Jan 7, 2020 6:16 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:LOL Frye backing his homeboys and throwing shade at the young bull.

Well the one rook that was playing winning basketball is out for a few weeks with the knee sprain. Honestly I wouldn't mind sitting Garland and Sexton for a bit to show them that they need to play better, or at least reduce their minutes and take them out of the starting line-up to signal that they need to start playing smarter. It's not much but it's a start.

I would consider benching them if it means love and TT can get their trade stock boosted to remind people how good they are with veteran guards but I mean unless they can use Exum in that role knight and Delly might not be good enough to do that.
I don't agree at all with benching to try to make them aware of things they already have to know. This is an issue of needing to learn from mistakes to become what the front office envisioned for them not watch others make good choices from the bench to make vets happy they are stuck in a rebuild.
Just trade love for expirings and let the kids play from top to bottom , these vets are too old to play for Beilein.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#358 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 6:18 pm

Revenged25 wrote:

I see Garland and Sexton as very different. Sexton has played starter minutes in the NBA for an entire season and a half at this point. I'm not convinced his play is a result of him failing to understand he should share the ball or the run the offense.

There was a play in a Sixers game early on in the season. The defender was overplaying the entry pass against Love, Sexton spotted it, and realized Love could seal that defender from helping on defense. He put the ball on the floor and drove to the rim. I was actually encouraged by this because it meant that Sexton was seeing things on the floor that he didn't his rookie year.

Fast forward two months. Most teams have given up on overplaying the entry pass into Love because they all know Sexton will drive and Love will seal. But, instead of making the entry pass quickly and letting Love eat, Sexton still drives into the paint. That example is illustrative but hardly exhaustive. Sexton is either unwilling or unable to change his game. He should be moved to the bench. It should've happened more than a month ago.

The fundamental problem is that Love and Sexton both need to score to be net positive players on the floor. Sexton can rebound a little. Love can rebound, space the floor, and pass. But if one of them isn't scoring, their net value on the floor is greatly reduced. So if Sexton refuses to play differently due to that reality, then he should go to bench as trading Love isn't even a real option while that dynamic is in play. I have genuine questions as to how to build a winning team around Sexton as a starter in the long-run, but those questions need not be addressed with the same urgency of stopping the Love situation from further spiraling out of control.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#359 » by Revenged25 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 10:34 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I see Garland and Sexton as very different. Sexton has played starter minutes in the NBA for an entire season and a half at this point. I'm not convinced his play is a result of him failing to understand he should share the ball or the run the offense.

There was a play in a Sixers game early on in the season. The defender was overplaying the entry pass against Love, Sexton spotted it, and realized Love could seal that defender from helping on defense. He put the ball on the floor and drove to the rim. I was actually encouraged by this because it meant that Sexton was seeing things on the floor that he didn't his rookie year.

Fast forward two months. Most teams have given up on overplaying the entry pass into Love because they all know Sexton will drive and Love will seal. But, instead of making the entry pass quickly and letting Love eat, Sexton still drives into the paint. That example is illustrative but hardly exhaustive. Sexton is either unwilling or unable to change his game. He should be moved to the bench. It should've happened more than a month ago.

The fundamental problem is that Love and Sexton both need to score to be net positive players on the floor. Sexton can rebound a little. Love can rebound, space the floor, and pass. But if one of them isn't scoring, their net value on the floor is greatly reduced. So if Sexton refuses to play differently due to that reality, then he should go to bench as trading Love isn't even a real option while that dynamic is in play. I have genuine questions as to how to build a winning team around Sexton as a starter in the long-run, but those questions need not be addressed with the same urgency of stopping the Love situation from further spiraling out of control.

What has Garland really shown to give you less worry about him. I mean Sexton also has been playing better defensively as well. He's not stout defensively but he's improved there. But things like what you mentioned are areas that coaches need to point out and tell him to look for and if he doesn't see it pull him out and talk to him letting him know that it's been there and that he needs to start seeing it.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#360 » by gflem » Tue Jan 7, 2020 11:16 pm

Stillwater wrote:So they convert cook from two way then fuc... In waive him why? Exactly the kind of 3/4 forward to develop. If there is anything I don't agree with it's the way they handle the end of the bench.
Not giving Z extension now this

I read that converting his contract was done to get him more guaranteed cash before waiving him. I think it was like $50,000 more for him. Not sure why it had to be done though. The article was on hoopsrumors.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers