ImageImageImage

Welcome Al Horford(?!?)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#221 » by youngcrev » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:32 pm

XDevilBoiX wrote:Now Horford is not happy, maybe he’ll ask for a trade this summer. We knew he signed here for the $$. It’s hard for other good players to fit into this system unless you’re a stand still shooter.

“It’s not as good as I want to be,” Horford said of his 2019-20 season on Monday, according to Keith Pompey of The Philadelphia Inquirer. “I still haven’t been able to find my rhythm with the team.”

To me it's more a clashing skill set issue rather than one of system fit. He fits perfectly well when he's playing center. He just gets lost in that starting lineup.
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#222 » by XDevilBoiX » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:56 pm

youngcrev wrote:
XDevilBoiX wrote:Now Horford is not happy, maybe he’ll ask for a trade this summer. We knew he signed here for the $$. It’s hard for other good players to fit into this system unless you’re a stand still shooter.

“It’s not as good as I want to be,” Horford said of his 2019-20 season on Monday, according to Keith Pompey of The Philadelphia Inquirer. “I still haven’t been able to find my rhythm with the team.”

To me it's more a clashing skill set issue rather than one of system fit. He fits perfectly well when he's playing center. He just gets lost in that starting lineup.

That may be true, you think he’s ready to be the 6th man/backup to Embiid.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#223 » by youngcrev » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:13 pm

XDevilBoiX wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

That may be true, you think he’s ready to be the 6th man/backup to Embiid.

Ego doesn't seem like something that would get in the way with Al, but I think that's something him and Brett would have to land on mutually. Seems to me like it's a conversation that they need have with both (at least in the context of the article) openly questioning his fit within the lineup.
DaSixers
Pro Prospect
And1: 227

Post#224 » by DaSixers » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:31 pm

Guys I can assure you there is not 1 single player on the team who is happy except simmons.

Simmons doesnt give 2 **** about winning, his team mates, or doing what needs to be done to get better, hence he aint unhappy

The rest the team aboit to blow up publicly soon. We lose today and the next few, be rdy
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 3,992

Post#225 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:32 pm

DaSixers wrote:Guys I can assure you there is not 1 single player on the team who is happy except simmons.

Simmons doesnt give 2 **** about winning, his team mates, or doing what needs to be done to get better, hence he aint unhappy

The rest the team aboit to blow up publicly soon. We lose today and the next few, be rdy

Brett and Simmons are running this team behind the scenes, it is clear now. The results are devastating.
Send Simmons with his friend Towns, I'm sure they will mesh perfectly with their loser mentality.
Horrible takes since 2016
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,004

Post#226 » by Gus McCrae » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:07 pm

Have been trying to figure out Horfords deal. As a fantasy owner, his numbers have dropped off a cliff that past month or so. He’ll be out there all game but not getting any rebounds or assists or steals or blocks. From strictly watching his numbers game by game I figured he was either injured or unhappy.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,412

Post#227 » by 76ciology » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:52 am

Al manages to have a very good oncourt DRtg as a back-up C and also is part of our best 5 man unit (which doesn’t have Embiid on that unit).
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#228 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:16 am

That set we have with Al at the high post doing the entry pass with either Tobi, Ben or Biid below the rim abusing the mismatch has been money.

The league wont just allow us to do it on every set :lol:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#229 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:19 am

Al’s biggest role on defense is to let us sustain playing elite defense when Biid is off the floor. That, and slowing down Giannis.

Then on offense, aside from being a spacer, screener and passer. His biggest role is to force the defense to have the opponent’s big on him, this allows Ben or Tobi to have a mismatch.

Man, if this team gets it together at 100% health, we will be a fun team to watch in the playoffs
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,117

Post#230 » by Arsenal » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:24 am

76ciology wrote:Al’s biggest role on defense is to let us sustain playing elite defense when Biid is off the floor. That, and slowing down Giannis.

Then on offense, aside from being a spacer, screener and passer. His biggest role is to force the defense to have the opponent’s big on him, this allows Ben or Tobi to have a mismatch.

Man, if this team gets it together at 100% health, we will be a fun team to watch in the playoffs

No idea why you think Embiid/Simmons/Horford will magically work going forward, when its been a failure thus far.
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#231 » by SparksFly87 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:40 am

Bro I’m done with Horford. Get a **** point guard .
CastorRay
Freshman
And1: 12

Post#232 » by CastorRay » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:20 am

Wow he looks horrible
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#233 » by eagereyez » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:47 pm

I think the idea that Horford will be the "Giannis stopper" is not going to end well. You never hear stories like "Barkley would have won a ring if not for the Barkley stopper, Charles Oakley." Great players will always find a way. Giannis is 25 years old and has improved every year. Horford is 33. At some point Giannis is gonna turn the corner and take a dump on Horford.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#234 » by mithrandir17 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:59 pm

eagereyez wrote:I think the idea that Horford will be the "Giannis stopper" is not going to end well. You never hear stories like "Barkley would have won a ring if not for the Barkley stopper, Charles Oakley." Great players will always find a way. Giannis is 25 years old and has improved every year. Horford is 33. At some point Giannis is gonna turn the corner and take a dump on Horford.

+1 on this. And we don't even know if we will ever need Horford to be the Giannis stopper cause there is a high chance that we won't even see the bucks in the playoffs with the way that we are playing right now.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#235 » by Kobblehead » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:20 pm

You don't need a singular Giannis stopper. He doesn't have a closer's skillset so there's nothing to even worry about with him. It's not like he's Durant or Leonard or George. You can scheme up ways to limit Giannis in a playoff series with team concepts.

1. Wall him off from driving with help defenders when he's isolating on the perimeter.
2. Swarm him with help defenders when he's posting up his man.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#236 » by youngcrev » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:26 pm

I'd probably rather have Jo or Ben on Giannis anyway. Go get Vonleh for a 2nd if your worried having someone else to matchup. He's had success in the past against him, and doesn't cost you 27M.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#237 » by Kobblehead » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:33 pm

Horford was never even a Giannis-stopper in the first place. Brad Stevens did the two things I just outlined in his gameplan against Giannis. Horford was just a cog in the gameplan. Al would have gotten embarrassed if Jaylen Brown, Marcus Morris and Jayson Tatum weren't swarming over to help whenever Giannis made a move.
mhunt
Rookie
And1: 172

Post#238 » by mhunt » Tue Feb 4, 2020 9:19 pm

Any chance Brett would move Al to the bench...maybe when J-Rich returns? Just to give the starting 5 more shooting & space the floor better? I wouldn't mind seeing it. But I'm not sure how Al would react.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#239 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Feb 4, 2020 9:44 pm

mhunt wrote:Any chance Brett would move Al to the bench...maybe when J-Rich returns? Just to give the starting 5 more shooting & space the floor better? I wouldn't mind seeing it. But I'm not sure how Al would react.
It seems inevitable, so hopefully he comes to terms with that role. Rotation tweaks and smaller moves to improve depth could go a long way.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,181

Post#240 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed Feb 5, 2020 2:52 am

Starting Furk in place of AL and adding a guard like Rose would maybe give this team a shot. Not a slam dunk by any means.

Simmons(24)/Rose(24)
Richardson(32)/Ennis(16)
Korkmaz(20)/Thybulle(20)/Harris(8)
Harris(26)/Horford(12)/Simmons(10)
Embiid(30)/Horford(18)

Play Simmons/AL/Jo for as few minutes together as possible. Give Brett and this group one last run before the offseason. If they fall short of a Finals appearance, then it’s time to break it up.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba

Return to Philadelphia 76ers