The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,957

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#561 » by goober » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:51 am

They did not show up to play that’s for sure. Clay Helton was coaching to keep his job and the Utes seemed a little lifeless out and and with too many penalties. It’s a shame cause I do think the Utes are one of the most talented teams in the country
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#562 » by KqWIN » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:16 pm

Goober wrote:They did not show up to play that’s for sure. Clay Helton was coaching to keep his job and the Utes seemed a little lifeless out and and with too many penalties. It’s a shame cause I do think the Utes are one of the most talented teams in the country

The Utes have some good players, but also some very overrated players (looking at you Julian Blackmon) and a very stubborn coaching staff. Like I said, I am no football expert, but when the other team has their 3rd string QB in you should make it a little more difficult on him. I could make those pre-snap reads. We basically gifted them the only throws their QB could make every single play.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,423

Post#563 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:20 pm

It's been a while since I've seen what I consider to be a really good movie, but I've watched Midsommar the other day and it's really really good. As much fanfare as Hereditary received (it's from the same director), I have to say I liked Midsommar much better. Highly recommended.

On the other hand, Climax by Gaspar Noé is a real letdown, wouldn't waste your time on it, I've done that so no one else has to.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,059

Post#564 » by FJS » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:58 pm

I watched "El camino" and I'm not satisfied at all. Not a bad movie, but not breaking bad material.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#565 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:56 pm

FJS wrote:I watched "El camino" and I'm not satisfied at all. Not a bad movie, but not breaking bad material.

It's on my list of movies to watch, so thanks for the input. I'll adjust my expectations. Not sure we needed this movie given how the series ended, but we'll see.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#566 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:31 pm

In case anyone else is into this kind of thing, Tool's new album--Fear Inoculum--is pretty good. Not as good as Lateralus, but still very much worth a listen.

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#567 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:52 pm

I watched Ready or Not the other day and found it very enjoyable. Definitely recommended.

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#568 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:59 pm

Happy thanksgiving!

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#569 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:32 pm

So, the Witcher series was just released on Netflix. I'm very wary of how they treat the source material, all the trailers gave me the impression of a cheap lifetime movie--something in the way they shot this show makes it look too...I don't know how to explain it. Overtly TV-ish? Something didn't feel right, and I'm also not crazy about some of the casting choices they made, but I'll give it a shot. I'm hearing\reading Henry Cavill does a very good job as Geralt, though.

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#570 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:49 pm

After watching the entire season of The Witcher (it's only 8 episodes), I have to say that while that series has some serious issues, I still enjoyed it. I find much of the criticism on the web to be valid but I still enjoyed it, maybe because I'm such a fan of the books and games and I knew what's going on--something that I recognize may be an issue for people not familiar with the source material.

My initial impressions, however, stand:

1. There are some questionable casting decisions. I'd change some of the actors for season 2 (season 2 is confirmed).

2. Cavill's portrayal of Geralt is excellent.

3. While the special effects look good, the series itself--perhaps due to the way it is shot (I don't know anything about camera techniques, film\frame rates, shutter speeds, hardware, etc)--has a kind of cheap 90's look to it that reminds me of the Xena and Hercules series which were never my cup of tea. It doesn't look as cinematic as it should. The series does have 'adult' content such as nudity, blood, and explicit language but it is undermined by the general look of the shows that feels like a 90 action series for teenagers. They should really do something about that look and feel.

4. The decision to work on 3 different timelines was a poor one--I had no problems following what was happening but I read the books. The showrunners had the advantage of the entire saga already published and they should have done a better job with how they laid things out and order the chronology better.

5. The decision to spend so much time on Yennefer's origin story was a big mistake. They took a small passage from the books--less than a page long (IIRC, much less)--and spent a lot of time of many episodes creating their own interpretation of that as an origin story. In the books, when we first meet Yennefer, she's already a powerful sorceress. This time could have been spent on world building and character building of other characters and the series would have been much better served. If they were dead set on this origin story, they still could have used it in later seasons and it would have worked just as well, if not better, perhaps as a standalone episode or two.

6. I do think there is a solid foundation here though. Some changes should be made, but it can still be an epic show down the road if issues are addressed. I liked that the show remained relatively faithful to the books and after the first season that is mostly exposition (that wasn't handled well) which was based on a few of the short stories that began it all, things are mostly set for the things that unfold in the 7 or so books.

KqWIN
RealGM

Post#571 » by KqWIN » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:13 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:After watching the entire season of The Witcher (it's only 8 episodes), I have to say that while that series has some serious issues, I still enjoyed it. I find much of the criticism on the web to be valid but I still enjoyed it, maybe because I'm such a fan of the books and games and I knew what's going on--something that I recognize may be an issue for people not familiar with the source material.

My initial impressions, however, stand:

1. There are some questionable casting decisions. I'd change some of the actors for season 2 (season 2 is confirmed).

2. Cavill's portrayal of Geralt is excellent.

3. While the special effects look good, the series itself--perhaps due to the way it is shot (I don't know anything about camera techniques, film\frame rates, shutter speeds, hardware, etc)--has a kind of cheap 90's look to it that reminds me of the Xena and Hercules series which were never my cup of tea. It doesn't look as cinematic as it should. The series does have 'adult' content such as nudity, blood, and explicit language but it is undermined by the general look of the shows that feels like a 90 action series for teenagers. They should really do something about that look and feel.

4. The decision to work on 3 different timelines was a poor one--I had no problems following what was happening but I read the books. The showrunners had the advantage of the entire saga already published and they should have done a better job with how they laid things out and order the chronology better.

5. The decision to spend so much time on Yennefer's origin story was a big mistake. They took a small passage from the books--less than a page long (IIRC, much less)--and spent a lot of time of many episodes creating their own interpretation of that as an origin story. In the books, when we first meet Yennefer, she's already a powerful sorceress. This time could have been spent on world building and character building of other characters and the series would have been much better served. If they were dead set on this origin story, they still could have used it in later seasons and it would have worked just as well, if not better, perhaps as a standalone episode or two.

6. I do think there is a solid foundation here though. Some changes should be made, but it can still be an epic show down the road if issues are addressed. I liked that the show remained relatively faithful to the books and after the first season that is mostly exposition (that wasn't handled well) which was based on a few of the short stories that began it all, things are mostly set for the things that unfold in the 7 or so books.

I really enjoyed it.

The different timelines didn't bother me, I thought it was nicely done, however I do think it could be confusing for a fresh new viewer. The reason I stopped watching Westworld was because the multiple timelines got too confusing.

Most of the acting and casting was good for the most part. I wasn't sure about superman being Geralt, but now it's clear to me that Geralt is for Cavill and not superman. I enjoyed Yen and Jaskier as well. Their interactions were well done. The only thing that put me off was Triss. It's not her looks, but she looks like she's on the verge of crying at any moment. I'm not sure if it's the writing or that the actress just isn't very good. I'm looking forward to more character development. That's what will make this show really come alive.

I agree that there was something off about the visuals. I was worried about the monsters because monsters are tough to pull off, but they were fine. The setting should have been more cinematic and each of the different locations should have had more feel to them.

I think they went so in depth with Yen to explain how magic works, but I agree it was maybe too much origin. The complexity of characters is a good thing. It's not bad to delve into her origins and what makes her tick, but she didn't come off as the powerful sorceress that she is. Her struggle is part of her character, but too much leaning on that IMO.

Overall I'm not sure if non Witcher fans will enjoy it, but I thought it was a great watch. I'm excited for the next season and the events the follow. It's not a GOT level produced show, but not everything has to be at that level to be enjoyable. The writing (show running) was good enough to keep you wanting what happens next, but the show could stand to improve its imagery, world building, and character development.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#572 » by stitches » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:51 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everybody!

Cheers! :beer:
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#573 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:06 pm

Merry Christmas!

TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 418

Post#574 » by TNJazz » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:29 pm

Hope everyone had a terrific holiday yesterday. Heres to 2020 being a year of good health and happiness to you. :beer:
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#575 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Jan 1, 2020 4:53 pm

Happy new year to everyone. :party:
:rockon:

KqWIN
RealGM

Post#576 » by KqWIN » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:15 pm

On a personal note, today is my last day at my current job. Moving onwards and upwards. Hopefully I’ll still have time to be on RealGM all workday ;)
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#577 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:26 pm

KqWIN wrote:On a personal note, today is my last day at my current job. Moving onwards and upwards. Hopefully I’ll still have time to be on RealGM all workday ;)

Best of luck to you, hopefully you have time to continue to provide comments.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#578 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:06 pm

KqWIN wrote:On a personal note, today is my last day at my current job. Moving onwards and upwards. Hopefully I’ll still have time to be on RealGM all workday ;)

Good luck! My man KqWIN is moving on up!

dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 771

Post#579 » by dr0welf » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:30 pm

Saw this and reminded me of RealGM :P Thanks Inigo
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#580 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:57 pm

If we're bringing up classics, I'm currently revisiting some of my own, listening to Type O Negative's Bloody Kisses and having a blast. I recommend the reissue version for a more cohesive experience.

Return to Utah Jazz