Post#568 » by SlovenianDragon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:19 am

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Re: Ricky Rubio news and highlights 

Post#569 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:43 pm

From Gina Mizell, The Athletic:

Last summer, agent Jeff Schwartz provided Rubio with a sheet of paper that broke down the roster and salary-cap situations for all 30 NBA teams. Utah had traded for starting point guard Mike Conley the day before the NBA Draft, signaling Rubio’s time with the Jazz was over and that he would get to choose his next playing destination for the first time in his career.

Rubio set his priorities. First, he wanted to remain a starter. Second, he wanted to play for a team striving to compete (not “tank” for a high draft pick) or, at least, set a foundation. Third, he wanted to play for a coach he could connect with in regards to both basketball and life.

Indiana initially appeared to be a great fit.

While All-Star Victor Oladipo continued to recover from a serious leg injury expected to keep him out for at least half the regular season, Rubio could pair up with longtime buddy Bojan Bogdanovic. According to league sources familiar with the process, the Pacers expected to sign Bogdanovic, whose ability to shoot and play off the ball meshed well with Rubio’s playmaking off penetration and in transition. Indiana went into free agency expecting to agree to contract terms with Rubio by the end of that first night, according to league sources.

Yet Nikola Mirotic’s decision to return to the EuroLeague, rather than sign another NBA contract, rapidly changed the direction of multiple teams.

Utah had targeted Mirotic, a floor-spacing big man, according to league sources. With him off the board, the Jazz turned to Bogdanovic to fill that outside-shooting role. Utah offered a four-year, $73 million contract — more than Indiana was willing to offer, according to league sources familiar with the process — while Bogdanovic relaxed on a beach overseas and his agent handled the negotiations.

“I was there chilling and waiting for the good news,” Bogdanovic said. “And then when Utah offered me the contract, it was really easy for me to decide where I’m going to continue my career.”

Without Bogdanovic, Indiana pulled off a sign-and-trade with Milwaukee for proven starter Malcolm Brogdon. The Pacers still pitched Rubio on sharing the backcourt with Brogdon, league sources familiar with the process told The Athletic, but Rubio’s camp was unsure about this particular tandem. Brogdon plays more with the ball in his hands. And when Oladipo returned from injury, Rubio would likely shift to a bench role.

The Suns, who had long been searching for a legitimate point guard, jumped at the opportunity to persuade Rubio. Phoenix “treated him like a superstar,” according to sources familiar with the process, guaranteeing a starting job and a valuable veteran role alongside promising young cornerstones Devin Booker and Deandre Ayton. It made a lucrative financial offer at three years, $51 million.

Rubio had been part of rebuilds in Minnesota and during his first season in Utah, and believed he could be a calming presence in the Suns’ locker room. He respected general manager James Jones’ experience on championship teams as a player. When Rubio watched Booker play, he “always thought that I could help him reach the next level.” Wife Sara, who at the time was pregnant with their first child, was sold on Phoenix, a city where the couple could enjoy a coffee on the patio during the winter months after spending Ricky’s first eight NBA seasons in Minneapolis and Salt Lake City.

Chicago and Minnesota were among the teams also vying for Rubio’s services, according to league sources familiar with the process. When Rubio chose the Suns, coach Monty Williams and the front office were elated.

“We didn’t think we were gonna get anybody at that point,” Williams recently recalled. “So when we did get the call that (Rubio) wanted to come, it was a huge moment for everybody. I think when you have a chance to get a point guard of his caliber, spontaneously in the summertime, it just kind of puts you in a different place. …

“I’m not gonna tell you where we were at the time, but it was a happy moment.”
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Post#570 » by Saberestar » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:06 pm

Read on Twitter

:(
sportpeso
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#571 » by sportpeso » Sun Feb 9, 2020 1:36 am

He is not playing full potential lately but still the above stat is quite interesting...
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#572 » by jcsunsfan » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:31 am

sportpeso wrote:Image

He is not playing full potential lately but still the above stat is quite interesting...

Not really. When the team is shooting better, he gets more assists.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#573 » by LesGrossman » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:26 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:

Thats not the main influence on his assists number. Its more the offense that Monty decides to run - is it iso Booker, making Rubio a corner spot up 3 pt shooter, is it the general motion offense they run that requires everyone to make good quick decisions - usually very funny to watch the mix of rookies and selfish ego guys try that - or is it the "old school" point guard centered offense that allows Rubio to create and distribute and requires the others to just catch and shoot? That, not the numbers, is what decides wins/losses in my opinion. Other teams succeed with a similar approach, only the suns think that Bookers all star campaign, his numbers and his accolades should be valued more than W/L.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#574 » by hollywood6964 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:07 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:

Thats not the main influence on his assists number. Its more the offense that Monty decides to run - is it iso Booker, making Rubio a corner spot up 3 pt shooter, is it the general motion offense they run that requires everyone to make good quick decisions - usually very funny to watch the mix of rookies and selfish ego guys try that - or is it the "old school" point guard centered offense that allows Rubio to create and distribute and requires the others to just catch and shoot? That, not the numbers, is what decides wins/losses in my opinion. Other teams succeed with a similar approach, only the suns think that Bookers all star campaign, his numbers and his accolades should be valued more than W/L.

I know what you're saying about Booker, he's a non superstar, playing superstar. so he sucks at isoing and cannot virtually ever get it done in the clutch when things tighten up n actual star players, you know, make plays.

But Rubio has been trash, offensively and defensively. He is not good enough, and especially not anymore as he's too slow now. Not that he was ever in even shouting distance of being a top 10 pg is in this league, much less all star. But they should at least try to let him run the offense quite a bit more, it's all we have, with virtually no backup- that's why his stats are so impactful, because he's the only nba level pg on the team. If we had say, Augestin, we'd be talking about who should be starting. Rubio is not nearly as good as you think, but I know it's hard to understand due to your staunch allegiance to him, for whatever the reason that is.

Both are true.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#575 » by Fo-Real » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:30 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:

Woah, thunder stolen! :lol:
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,812

Post#576 » by RiRuHoops » Sun Feb 9, 2020 5:54 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:Not really. When the team is shooting better, he gets more assists.

I know what you're saying about Booker, he's a non superstar, playing superstar. so he sucks at isoing and cannot virtually ever get it done in the clutch when things tighten up n actual star players, you know, make plays.

But Rubio has been trash, offensively and defensively. He is not good enough, and especially not anymore as he's too slow now. Not that he was ever in even shouting distance of being a top 10 pg is in this league, much less all star. But they should at least try to let him run the offense quite a bit more, it's all we have, with virtually no backup- that's why his stats are so impactful, because he's the only nba level pg on the team. If we had say, Augestin, we'd be talking about who should be starting. Rubio is not nearly as good as you think, but I know it's hard to understand due to your staunch allegiance to him, for whatever the reason that is.

Both are true.

I think you nailed it with Suns having no superstars. And that's why I don't see any significant success in the future. And even if you swap Rubio for another role player who you may deem "good enough" it's not gonna change a thing. Because Suns don't have superstars and few avenues to get them.
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#577 » by hollywood6964 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 7:16 pm

RiRuSuns wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:Thats not the main influence on his assists number. Its more the offense that Monty decides to run - is it iso Booker, making Rubio a corner spot up 3 pt shooter, is it the general motion offense they run that requires everyone to make good quick decisions - usually very funny to watch the mix of rookies and selfish ego guys try that - or is it the "old school" point guard centered offense that allows Rubio to create and distribute and requires the others to just catch and shoot? That, not the numbers, is what decides wins/losses in my opinion. Other teams succeed with a similar approach, only the suns think that Bookers all star campaign, his numbers and his accolades should be valued more than W/L.

Both are true.

I think you nailed it with Suns having no superstars. And that's why I don't see any significant success in the future. And even if you swap Rubio for another role player who you may deem "good enough" it's not gonna change a thing. Because Suns don't have superstars and few avenues to get them.

It just depends on that one. there are decent pgs that actually can and do make plays, including shots in the clutch- Rubio does none of that, hence the reason Utah dropped every 1 possession game last year (and look a hell of a lot better this, depsite no replacement!) and the suns have a similar record with him at the helm.

Everybody on this board thinks any argument one makes about a particular player being bad, etc, means they think it's just that guy causing losses. It's not a bee chasing honey argument, there are a lot of problems on this team. Injuries have been huge, but so has the trio of Monty-Booker-Rubio in making late game decisions- they Fking suck. The only player who has made plays late in all of these games at least somewhat consistently is Oubre.
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,812

Post#578 » by RiRuHoops » Sun Feb 9, 2020 7:32 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:
RiRuSuns wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:I know what you're saying about Booker, he's a non superstar, playing superstar. so he sucks at isoing and cannot virtually ever get it done in the clutch when things tighten up n actual star players, you know, make plays.

Both are true.

It just depends on that one. there are decent pgs that actually can and do make plays, including shots in the clutch- Rubio does none of that, hence the reason Utah dropped every 1 possession game last year (and look a hell of a lot better this, depsite no replacement!) and the suns have a similar record with him at the helm.

Everybody on this board thinks any argument one makes about a particular player being bad, etc, means they think it's just that guy causing losses. It's not a bee chasing honey argument, there are a lot of problems on this team. Injuries have been huge, but so has the trio of Monty-Booker-Rubio in making late game decisions- they Fking suck. The only player who has made plays late in all of these games at least somewhat consistently is Oubre.

Utah is another team that's going to win nothing because their stars are not good enough. I mean they have Gobert and that's why they are a playoff team unlike Suns but still not enough power to go anywhere significant. Qualities of role players only matter when you're set with real stars. Until you have those everything is meaningless.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#579 » by bwgood77 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:10 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:

Why do you think they shoot better? Because they get more great passes on cuts and wide open looks on 3s. They are not all isoing.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#580 » by bwgood77 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:13 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:Not really. When the team is shooting better, he gets more assists.

Both are true.

I highly doubt Augustin would have led the spanish team to the World Cup championship, much less win MVP. Those euro teams just play more team basketball.

Return to Phoenix Suns