Why do we keep hearing this BS about "Fit?"

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,911

Why do we keep hearing this BS about "Fit?" 

Post#1 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 2, 2020 2:19 am

The Pacers are 22-12 without Vic. But I see at least 3 trades on the T&T forum about how the roster is in need of balance and how Turner and Sabonis don't "Fit" the only "Fit" we're gonna see is one of my Tourettes like fits when I unleash a barrage of profanity at my computer screen next time I see this! :curse: :curse: :curse:
festar35
Ballboy
And1: 2

Re: Why do we keep hearing this BS about "Fit?" 

Post#2 » by festar35 » Thu Jan 2, 2020 3:55 am

Fit is 100% a real thing, but I agree that it isn't really an issue for those 2 guys. Defensively the fit isn't quite as good as offensively, but with the growing use of the zone it really won't be a problem if we decide to use it.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 2, 2020 5:08 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:The Pacers are 22-12 without Vic. But I see at least 3 trades on the T&T forum about how the roster is in need of balance and how Turner and Sabonis don't "Fit" the only "Fit" we're gonna see is one of my Tourettes like fits when I unleash a barrage of profanity at my computer screen next time I see this! :curse: :curse: :curse:

Because they still get in each other's way at times? And other teams don't watch the ins and outs of our team to see that they do sometimes coexist well?

I think that finding a more pure 4 would be nice, if one existed we could acquire. However, if we want rim protection and stretch shooting, I think Myles is likely the best provider of that that we could possibly have/acquire on the market.

Also, it's the T&T Forum. If we/they weren't throwing stuff out there for concepts, the forum would shut down. And if the entirety of RealGM was held to that kind of strict standards, might as well shut the whole thing down. Don't take it too seriously. If you can't handle seeing it, don't visit it. :dontknow:
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#4 » by Grang33r » Thu Jan 2, 2020 7:38 am

Not that they care, but the Pacers created this perception that they need to trade one of Turner or Sabonis, when they drafted Goga. We all knew Sabonis would get paid, and he did, and we all have access to the stats and make our own opinions on what the Pacers need. Eventually, i think Turner will be traded, but i think it's a trade more for the summer then mid-season. I would be beyond shocked if KP makes a trade during the year, let alone a blockbuster like moving Turner.

It's a topic that won't go away even in the media, but essp in places like a forum.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,232

Post#5 » by boomershadow » Thu Jan 2, 2020 10:36 am

Did Utah see this level of trade talk for Derrick Favors?

Cuz that always seemed like way less of a fit than Turner/Sabonis.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#6 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 2, 2020 1:34 pm

I learned long ago to not even open trade threads that are titled blockbuster. Now I do hope Turner learns how to be a force inside when Sabonis is resting and I see signs that he's progressing but playing together is not a problem.

The player I'd shop is Leaf. I don't expect a star in return. I'd hope to find a team that needs a backup center and has a 4 buried on its bench. Bust for bust.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Re: Why do we keep hearing this BS about 

Post#7 » by Tom White » Thu Jan 2, 2020 1:50 pm

Wizop wrote:The player I'd shop is Leaf. I don't expect a star in return. I'd hope to find a team that needs a backup center and has a 4 buried on its bench. Bust for bust.

Funny (but on target) that you mention him. During the game with the '76ers I found myself wondering if Leaf had played his way off the roster, and if so, where might he land.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 2, 2020 2:00 pm

boomershadow wrote:Did Utah see this level of trade talk for Derrick Favors?

Cuz that always seemed like way less of a fit than Turner/Sabonis.

Yes. There had been infinite posts about Favors over the last 5+ years until he was traded to NO this season. Same for CJ McCollum/Dame and many other pairings. We talk about being progressive viewers of basketball, but we tend to be pretty formulaic, too.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 2, 2020 2:01 pm

Tom White wrote:
Wizop wrote:The player I'd shop is Leaf. I don't expect a star in return. I'd hope to find a team that needs a backup center and has a 4 buried on its bench. Bust for bust.

Funny (but on target) that you mention him. During the game with the '76ers I found myself wondering if Leaf had played his way off the roster, and if so, where might he land.

Thought the same thing. Does it also seem he’s gained a ton of weight that he seems uncomfortable in? He didn’t seem to move fluid and was pretty formulaic/robotic in his on court motion and movements.
FeedThePost
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#10 » by FeedThePost » Thu Jan 2, 2020 2:55 pm

In the words of the once great Roy Hibbert: "y'all **** don't watch us play."

Anyone who has seen the pacers play this year can see that Sabonis and Turner fit together fine. Hell, Sabonis is 8th in basketball in defensive win shares. They are both thriving in their current roles together and there is no reason to think that changes as they age and develop, they're both 23 and we have them under contract for awhile. Moving either would be stupid imo
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#11 » by Tom White » Thu Jan 2, 2020 8:14 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Thought the same thing. Does it also seem he’s gained a ton of weight that he seems uncomfortable in? He didn’t seem to move fluid and was pretty formulaic/robotic in his on court motion and movements.

I don't know about him gaining "a ton" of weight, but they did show a good look at his face on TV and it looked fuller. Maybe he is...what is it they say...growing into his frame? Or something like that?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 2, 2020 8:31 pm

FeedThePost wrote:In the words of the once great Roy Hibbert: "y'all **** don't watch us play."

Anyone who has seen the pacers play this year can see that Sabonis and Turner fit together fine. Hell, Sabonis is 8th in basketball in defensive win shares. They are both thriving in their current roles together and there is no reason to think that changes as they age and develop, they're both 23 and we have them under contract for awhile. Moving either would be stupid imo

So, yes and no. They have gotten better this season, but it's still relatively small sample sizes statistically. As of a month ago, they were a net negative when on court. They've vastly improved over the past month to a solid net positive on/off wise and in other varieties, but there have been questions, and until they're answered, they'll exist.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 2, 2020 8:32 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Thought the same thing. Does it also seem he’s gained a ton of weight that he seems uncomfortable in? He didn’t seem to move fluid and was pretty formulaic/robotic in his on court motion and movements.

I don't know about him gaining "a ton" of weight, but they did show a good look at his face on TV and it looked fuller. Maybe he is...what is it they say...growing into his frame? Or something like that?

Fuller is probably the better term. He just fills out the uniform more and looks like a broad guy. Seems like he's lost some of his agility offensively for it. He still can't get lift behind his shots, though, which is ultimately the most puzzling thing to me.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#14 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 2, 2020 9:48 pm

Tom White wrote:

I think it was the Bucks game that got me wondering if they'd given up on DJ Wilson. I looked him up and saw that he and TJ were picked back to back in the draft. it's a swap I'd make.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#15 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 2:38 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Tom White wrote:

Thought the same thing. Does it also seem he’s gained a ton of weight that he seems uncomfortable in? He didn’t seem to move fluid and was pretty formulaic/robotic in his on court motion and movements.

I don't understand why Leaf is not at Ft Wayne! We need a backup PF who can play not some tall Kroger bag boy who kinda looks like a basketball player!
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#16 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 2:51 am

FeedThePost wrote:In the words of the once great Roy Hibbert: "y'all **** don't watch us play."

When the team is 10 games over 500 with out its best player Victor Oladipo and has had many injuries namely lamb and brogdon, criticizing the Sabonis/Turner pairing is just sloppy analysis.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,867

Post#17 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 2:31 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Tom White wrote:

I don't understand why Leaf is not at Ft Wayne! We need a backup PF who can play not some tall Kroger bag boy who kinda looks like a basketball player!

Hawks fan here:
Any interest in TJ Leaf for Jabari Parker....Parker can score and be your backup PF off the bench, he won't give you much defensively though.
I'm not familiar with Leaf's game, what does he do well, if anything?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#18 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:38 pm

jayu70 wrote:Any interest in TJ Leaf for Jabari Parker....Parker can score and be your backup PF off the bench, he won't give you much defensively though.

I assume the FO would pass, but Parker would be an interesting get. Problem is we need defense up front and have enough mouths to feed scoring-wise as is.

Leaf would be a good buy low candidate for Atlanta though. He doesn't do much very well honestly, but that's more a function of having few opportunities to showcase. He had a very good outside shot year one, but bulked up and has been hit or miss since. He's a good rebounder, though doesn't have the strength to really box out (so more of a sneaky rebounder). He's pretty good at getting a shot off in creative ways down low and can kinda put the ball on the floor (at least decently for his size).

Really he needs minutes but we don't have any. He's best at center and we're more invested in Domas, Myles, and Goga right now.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jan 3, 2020 7:47 pm

jayu70 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Hawks fan here:
Any interest in TJ Leaf for Jabari Parker....Parker can score and be your backup PF off the bench, he won't give you much defensively though.

The deal doesn’t work financially as is. I guess we could add in Jakarr, but if he heals, he’s kind of what we need? Parker doesn’t solve anything for us either in that we need someone who can guard the wing/4’s of the world, and Jabari is the clearest in the nba in that he has no interest in playing defense.

As for Leaf, he’s a mobile 5 with a soft touch around the hoop and agile moves inside the arc. He’s a talented scorer when he’s allowed to play the 5 from the midrange in, but simply cannot provide when asked to play the 4 or around the perimeter.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#20 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jan 4, 2020 1:44 am

Wasn't leaf supposed to some great stretch 4? Someone should get fired over that draft pick.

Return to Indiana Pacers