ImageImage

S&T With New Orleans: The Devonte Graham Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Re: Golden Showers: the Devonte Graham Thread 

Post#241 » by DY_nasty » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:24 am

hot streaks and cold streaks happen, dude is still doing a great job moving the ball for the offense and is generally clutch
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#242 » by penquin11 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:11 am

Oh god what happened to golden grahams
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#243 » by BigSlam » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:13 pm

DY_nasty wrote:hot streaks and cold streaks happen, dude is still doing a great job moving the ball for the offense and is generally clutch

This is KEY for me - in regards to any player.

If something they usually do really well isn’t working for them during a game, what else do they bring to the table?

Tae’s ability to make passes and create offence for others is something that he does SO well, so if his shot isn’t falling he still brings tremendous value as our floor General.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
Freakyman
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#244 » by Freakyman » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:34 pm

Mix for a player that really grows in front of eyes of everybody that follows this beautiful sport.

MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,302

Post#245 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:32 pm

Saw fans with a sign that calls Devonte' Insta-Graham.

Insta-Graham: The Devonte' thread.

I don't like the current thread title. It's gross.
It has been written...
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#246 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:43 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Saw fans with a sign that calls Devonte' Insta-Graham.

I kinda dig Insta-Graham
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,302

Post#247 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:06 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Saw fans with a sign that calls Devonte' Insta-Graham.

I kinda dig Insta-Graham

Yeah golden showers cheapens our brand. Insta-Graham ties in the brand with social media. NBA is taking off on social media.
It has been written...
Radu_Hornets
Rookie
And1: 325

Post#248 » by Radu_Hornets » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:24 pm

We here so much Eric call Graham “Devine”

Why not:

Devine : The Devonte Graham Thread
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 824

Post#249 » by KingCat » Wed Jan 1, 2020 3:28 am

Reminds me of Kemba in his second year. Started off the season really strong and looked like a potential all star. Then started laying goose egg after goose egg
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#250 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Jan 1, 2020 8:22 am

37.5% shooting on the year now. Hes shooting 26% since his 40 point game against Brooklyn.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
hot_sauce_and1
Ballboy
And1: 18

Post#251 » by hot_sauce_and1 » Wed Jan 1, 2020 9:02 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:37.5% shooting on the year now. Hes shooting 26% since his 40 point game against Brooklyn.

It's alright. I feel like Devonte has just been in his own head now. Maybe it's the pressure from the media or he's just not use to the amount of minutes. Whatever the case. We've seen Devonte hit Steph Curry distance three pointers. We've seen him nail some shots (one tonight) where hes passed the ball at the end of the shot clock and drilled a 3 to bail out a bad play. We've seen him drive and finish against many bigs. I don't have any worries. Second year and he's shown a lot. Makes the season fun to watch, especially when we were suppose to be the worst team in the league. Devonte can become one of the best players in the league. A lot of people slept on Kemba early on.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#252 » by DY_nasty » Wed Jan 1, 2020 5:16 pm

hot_sauce_and1 wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:37.5% shooting on the year now. Hes shooting 26% since his 40 point game against Brooklyn.

It's alright. I feel like Devonte has just been in his own head now. Maybe it's the pressure from the media or he's just not use to the amount of minutes. Whatever the case. We've seen Devonte hit Steph Curry distance three pointers. We've seen him nail some shots (one tonight) where hes passed the ball at the end of the shot clock and drilled a 3 to bail out a bad play. We've seen him drive and finish against many bigs. I don't have any worries. Second year and he's shown a lot. Makes the season fun to watch, especially when we were suppose to be the worst team in the league. Devonte can become one of the best players in the league. A lot of people slept on Kemba early on.

He's getting trapped high and early. He's not suffering nearly as much when he's shooting assisted. But where are those assists gonna come from? :lol:

Doing everything he's been doing off the dribble is insane and not something we should expect from any player in the league. Kemba was great at it - but he was only second to Harden.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#253 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Jan 1, 2020 7:33 pm

Observations from the Boston game:

Dude looked tired. Could be anything from increased load building up over time to simply not getting much sleep the night before the game. My thought is that it's the rookie wall, just in year 2 since he's playing more. But whatever it was, he's going to have to be able to fight through that to make it to the next level.

I don't like his chemistry with Terry atm. It didn't look toxic or anything but all the stuff that seems like it should work for them on paper in terms of strength and weaknesses just wasn't working in the Boston game. Some of that is props to Boston for knowing what to do to make both guys look bad.

Devonte is super willing to pass. He needs to get the ball back more in a better position after that. Why isn't the team running some off-ball plays for him the way they did for Kemba? Forcing the ball out of his hands would become a far less viable tactic if the team made opposing defenses pay for doing that.

The team needs more guys who can score off Devonte's passes.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#254 » by DY_nasty » Wed Jan 1, 2020 7:42 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Observations from the Boston game:

Dude looked tired. Could be anything from increased load building up over time to simply not getting much sleep the night before the game. My thought is that it's the rookie wall, just in year 2 since he's playing more. But whatever it was, he's going to have to be able to fight through that to make it to the next level.

I don't like his chemistry with Terry atm. It didn't look toxic or anything but all the stuff that seems like it should work for them on paper in terms of strength and weaknesses just wasn't working in the Boston game. Some of that is props to Boston for knowing what to do to make both guys look bad.

Devonte is super willing to pass. He needs to get the ball back more in a better position after that. Why isn't the team running some off-ball plays for him the way they did for Kemba? Forcing the ball out of his hands would become a far less viable tactic if the team made opposing defenses pay for doing that.

The team needs more guys who can score off Devonte's passes.

This is a big part of why I'm so disappointed in our wings. Outside of Cody (who knows he can't shoot right now) and PJ, no one really reverses the ball well after a drive or drives with the intent to create a better pass.

Our bigs are struggling because of a clear lack of talent and ability. Or wings just aren't nearly active enough, they don't move, and they're unreliable in every aspect of the game.
hot_sauce_and1
Ballboy

Post#255 » by hot_sauce_and1 » Sat Jan 4, 2020 10:19 am

DY_nasty wrote:
hot_sauce_and1 wrote:

He's getting trapped high and early. He's not suffering nearly as much when he's shooting assisted. But where are those assists gonna come from? :lol:

Doing everything he's been doing off the dribble is insane and not something we should expect from any player in the league. Kemba was great at it - but he was only second to Harden.

Right on. I was just trying to point out basically what everyone has been saying. Devonte has been great. Blessing in disguise. Showed some his rookie season but has really shown flashes of talent this year. Wasn't trying to nitpick at people pointing out his decreases in percentages (totally fine) but was trying to say, "what could this guy be if we had better players around him." I mean we just lost Kemba and our team is still loaded with the players that Kemba couldn't even win with. Excited to see what Devonte can do with other players around him in the future because hes shown talent and confidence that many players just don't possess.
hot_sauce_and1
Ballboy

Post#256 » by hot_sauce_and1 » Sat Jan 4, 2020 10:30 am

Another thing I'll add which I've heard before from others and this applies to all fields. But talent only gets you so far. Its when the hard work is put in that you really succeed. I'm not in the gym with these players but I see that in Devonte. Think about it. All players at this level in the NBA have the talent. But the ones that actually spend the most time in the gym working on their game are the ones, that I believe at least, come out the following season and have an increase in all of their stats, or maybe just one particular thing they were working on. I see that in Devonte though. Hard worker.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,548

Post#257 » by yosemiteben » Sat Jan 4, 2020 2:13 pm

I'm down with changing the thread title but not down with Insta-Graham. Other suggestions?
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#258 » by Rays Pompadour » Sat Jan 4, 2020 5:14 pm

Golden Graham
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#259 » by 316Hornets » Sat Jan 4, 2020 10:36 pm

Heir Graham - because he's got the hair and he's the heir to the throne(Kemba)
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 936

Post#260 » by Robot Rock » Mon Jan 6, 2020 3:47 pm

Graham It! The Devonte Graham Thread

Return to Charlotte Hornets