Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#41 » by Whole Truth » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:37 pm

MemphisX wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Okoro's defense has impacted Auburn to a 7-0 start. He's putting up 13/4/2 on 60% from the field.

However through 7 he's shooting 21% from 3, 54% from the FT line.

I watch this both good & bad in thinking it would hurt his draft stock to where he might be more available to trade ...

I love Okoro. My favorite guy in this draft esepcially for the Grizzlies. Grizz need a guy who is physically opposing and with Luka in our division, someone that has some hope of defending him lol. I think Okoro will eventually be able to shoot, the question is will he be able to do anything off the dribble. Would be hard to have both BC and Okoro not being able to create much off the dribble (although BC did it tonight vs. Utah :D ).

Long ways to go...

Yeah, I'm hoping Memphis can find a way to trade in for Okoro. Maybe/hopefully, Jazz 7-15 owed pick comes into play with how they have been playing. I doubt he goes top 6 with his questionable shooting, though some mock drafts already have him top 10 & you never know. (MKG went 2nd under the same presumption of hope).

As much as I like him for Memphis, I don't think he could be justified top 6 without significant improvement from range/FT line. His 54% FT shooting is worrisome, discouraging, to say the least.

At just 18, he's a strong 6'6" 225, who can guard 1-3 & some small ball 4. Defensively, he's got the length, speed, mobility, athleticism, strength, motor & willingness that could make him a potential 1st team defender.. if only, he can prove himself not to be an offensive/spacing liability.

Speaking of which, Josh Jackson has me intrigued. His main issue with the Suns was the fact he couldn't space the floor. Suns needed better spacing & he shot under 30%, which led to his negative worth. The fact he's shooting 54% from 3 in the g League has me eager to see if its a tangible/transferable improvement to his main weakness. I assume the distance is the same. What's encouraging is that his 50+%, is not off a reserved amount of attempts. He's taking 4-5 3's a game. If his shooting translates, he could be a potential point forward for Memphis in combination with improving the perimeter defense.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#42 » by Whole Truth » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:05 pm

My current take on this draft.

Draft Wiseman
- If he's clear cut BPA
- Consideration, given to Jaren's progression/fit/chemistry with Ja, where he could potentially be flipped in trade if Wisemans is perceived the better long term fit because one thing is certain & that is, Clarke currently has the most chemistry with Ja & he needs to be starting at PF. So it would be an either or situation for me between Wiseman & 3J as the future C in either scenario.

Draft scoring wing/shot creation top 6, if Wiseman doesn't distance himself as BPA.
- Cole Anthony
- Anthony Edwards
- Lamelo Ball
- Jordan McDaniels
- RJ Hampton

Trade
1, Trade top 6 for Beal in a pick based package, if not enamored with position. Wizards continue to burn, they need a rebuild.
2, trade in mid to late lotto if Utah doesn't convey 7-15, for Okoro
3, If Memphis take Wiseman, trade Jaren for a scoring wing/Beal.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#43 » by Whole Truth » Mon Dec 2, 2019 12:21 pm

Through 5 games Cole Anthony is averaging 20 / 7 / 4.

Problem is, he's shooting 39% from the field.

Anytime Brooks is effective offensively, Memphis are a different team.

Problem is, he's inconsistent.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#44 » by Whole Truth » Mon Dec 2, 2019 12:49 pm

Tyrese Maxey, according to Bleacher report, has generated 25 points on 23 pick-and-roll possessions despite teammates converting just two of eight spot-up jumpers off his passes.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#45 » by VCfor3 » Mon Dec 2, 2019 9:57 pm

I need to watch another Maxey game at some point.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#46 » by Whole Truth » Tue Dec 3, 2019 4:20 am

With the Jazz loss tonight, they are sitting 17th, 1 & a half games out of conveying the pick 15th.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#47 » by VCfor3 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 4:37 pm

Whole Truth wrote:With the Jazz loss tonight, they are sitting 17th, 1 & a half games out of conveying the pick 15th.

They just had one of the toughest schedules so I think they'll turn it around, but I didn't realize they were that close to conveying. It'll be interesting to keep up with moving forward. Good catch. #Okoro
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#48 » by Whole Truth » Mon Dec 9, 2019 1:17 pm

I haven't been able to watch games recently but I see Okoro has improved his FT shooting from 54% to 65% but he continues to struggle from 3, now shooting a poultry 17%.

Still averaging 14/5/2 on 60% shooting.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#49 » by Whole Truth » Mon Dec 9, 2019 2:44 pm

The draft is starting to sort out

Tier 1 - Wiseman, Edwards

Anthony Edwards is shooting 42% from the field, 37% from 3.

Tier 2 - Cole Anthony, Ball, McDaniels, Maxey, Mannion, RJ, Haliburton.

Cole Anthony is shooting 36% from the field, 35% from 3. Lamelo Ball is shooting 37% from the field, 25%, from 3 but has better size, length & playmaking ability than Cole. Nico Mannion is putting up 15 on 48% from the field, 43% 3pt shooting is heady & has a nice floater.

1, Wiseman - Unicorn big
2, Edwards - scoring guard
3, Ball - 6'7" playmaker
4, McDaniels - 6'10 potential scoring wing
5, Mannion
6, Anthony/RJ

Buy in for Okoro/Achiuwa

Achiuwa is also shooting 17% from 3 like Okoro but they're difference makers otherwise, with potential attached to their shooting ability.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#50 » by VCfor3 » Mon Dec 9, 2019 10:03 pm

Having watched Achiuwa, I'm not all that impressed though that is due to how raw he is. He still seems to be figuring out the game and his shot leaves something to be desired. I also watched him airball two free throws in a row in a way that is hard to forget ha.

I also caught part of the UNC game last night and Cole had a rough go of it. He could still turn out decent, but there are serious red flags. Unfortunately all the top guys seem to have some pretty big red flags. It is still fairly early so maybe they'll figure things out as the season progresses.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#51 » by SD2042 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:48 pm

VCfor3 wrote:Having watched Achiuwa, I'm not all that impressed though that is due to how raw he is. He still seems to be figuring out the game and his shot leaves something to be desired. I also watched him airball two free throws in a row in a way that is hard to forget ha.

I also caught part of the UNC game last night and Cole had a rough go of it. He could still turn out decent, but there are serious red flags. Unfortunately all the top guys seem to have some pretty big red flags. It is still fairly early so maybe they'll figure things out as the season progresses.

The season is still in the early beginning stages. I would say in January everything will officially shake out and the players will continue to expose who they really are on both sides of the ball.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,356

Post#52 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:54 pm

6. Memphis Grizzlies: Deni Avdija (Israel, SF/PF, 2001)

Although Deni Avdija is playing sparingly in Euroleague, the Memphis Grizzlies likely scouted him closely over the summer at the U20 European Championships, where he was MVP of the tournament.

He has looked impressive this year in Israeli BSL play, shooting 54.1 percent from the floor and 38.1 percent from three. The 6'8" forward checks boxes with positional tools, face-up scoring moves, passing skills, shooting range and defensive versatility.

His lack of explosion raises some questions about his shot-creation, finishing and upside. But based on who else is available, Avdija's high floor will be a selling point to a Grizzlies team that could use more 3s and 4s.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,356

Post#53 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:13 pm

WHO i REALLY LIKE FOR YOU GUYS:

RJ Hampton (New Zealand Breakers, SG, 2001)

RJ Hampton has delivered so far in the NBL, standing out and producing with athletic transition play, playmaking skills and set shooting.

He comes off as noticeably mature for his age (18), between the adjustments he's making and the way he's carrying himself in a pro league overseas.

If there is a knock against Hampton, it's the notion that he doesn't have one signature strength or skill. However, for a 6'6" swingman, his versatility and production (9.5 points, 2.5 assists and 0.9 three-pointers per game) should be enough to draw interest from teams in the back half of the lottery.
Bleacher Report in December

Spoiler:
2020 NBA Mock Draft 1.0

6. R.J. Hampton, G, New Zealand Breakers

Height: 6’5” | Weight: 185 | Age: 18

It’s no secret NBA front offices have prioritized seeing Hampton, as well as LaMelo Ball, in the early weeks of the season. Hampton’s early results as a member of the Breakers have been predictably up and down, but there remains a level of upside in his size, quickness and overall agility on the floor, which allows him to project as more of a versatile combo guard rather than a true point. Hampton is less than a year removed from high school ball and looks the part, with a need to mature physically before he can truly belong on an NBA court. Still, his base athletic tools should play up, and as he adds strength, it should help his ability to finish in the paint and allow him to be more of a threat to score against high-level competition. He’s acquitted himself well enough in the NBL, but a pair of exhibition games against the Grizzles and Thunder delineated how much ground Hampton still has to cover over the next couple of years before making meaningful NBA contributions. He may not end up going this high, but the experience overseas appears it will be positive for his development, regardless.

The more concerning aspect of Hampton’s game at the moment is his in-game jump shooting, as he tends to rush his mechanics under duress, and needs to use this season to find a level of comfort and adjust. Defensively, he’s a total work in progress. Hampton’s serious approach to the game is laudable, but the pro level has not yet fully slowed down for him, and teams will monitor closely to see if he turns a corner. Given he’s played far less high-level basketball than most of the players in this class at this stage, the situation overseas should benefit him in the long-run. Hampton may not profile as a star, but he can certainly develop into a useful player if things break correctly.
SI.com in October
Read on Twitter

He's a low usage, jack-of-all-trades SG that could fit well alongside JaM in your backcourt.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#54 » by VCfor3 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:56 am

Jamaaliver wrote:WHO i REALLY LIKE FOR YOU GUYS:

RJ Hampton (New Zealand Breakers, SG, 2001)

RJ Hampton has delivered so far in the NBL, standing out and producing with athletic transition play, playmaking skills and set shooting.

He comes off as noticeably mature for his age (18), between the adjustments he's making and the way he's carrying himself in a pro league overseas.

If there is a knock against Hampton, it's the notion that he doesn't have one signature strength or skill. However, for a 6'6" swingman, his versatility and production (9.5 points, 2.5 assists and 0.9 three-pointers per game) should be enough to draw interest from teams in the back half of the lottery.
Bleacher Report in December

Spoiler:
2020 NBA Mock Draft 1.0

6. R.J. Hampton, G, New Zealand Breakers

Height: 6’5” | Weight: 185 | Age: 18

It’s no secret NBA front offices have prioritized seeing Hampton, as well as LaMelo Ball, in the early weeks of the season. Hampton’s early results as a member of the Breakers have been predictably up and down, but there remains a level of upside in his size, quickness and overall agility on the floor, which allows him to project as more of a versatile combo guard rather than a true point. Hampton is less than a year removed from high school ball and looks the part, with a need to mature physically before he can truly belong on an NBA court. Still, his base athletic tools should play up, and as he adds strength, it should help his ability to finish in the paint and allow him to be more of a threat to score against high-level competition. He’s acquitted himself well enough in the NBL, but a pair of exhibition games against the Grizzles and Thunder delineated how much ground Hampton still has to cover over the next couple of years before making meaningful NBA contributions. He may not end up going this high, but the experience overseas appears it will be positive for his development, regardless.

The more concerning aspect of Hampton’s game at the moment is his in-game jump shooting, as he tends to rush his mechanics under duress, and needs to use this season to find a level of comfort and adjust. Defensively, he’s a total work in progress. Hampton’s serious approach to the game is laudable, but the pro level has not yet fully slowed down for him, and teams will monitor closely to see if he turns a corner. Given he’s played far less high-level basketball than most of the players in this class at this stage, the situation overseas should benefit him in the long-run. Hampton may not profile as a star, but he can certainly develop into a useful player if things break correctly.
SI.com in October
Read on Twitter

He's a low usage, jack-of-all-trades SG that could fit well alongside your JaM in your backcourt.

I hate that he just got hurt. I need to watch more of him. The only game I have seen was when Memphis played him in the preseason. He looked every bit the high school senior he pretty much is in that game. Now that he has settled down it'll be interesting to see how he's improved.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#55 » by Whole Truth » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:56 pm

Isaac Okoro wins SEC player of the week. In week 6

As Auburn struggled to get its shots to fall, it fell behind by 14 points. Okoro helped pace the comeback. His defense helped Auburn go on an 8-0 run, and his and-1 made it a one-point game.

His defense is game changing. He hit 2FT's to ice the overtime win despite struggling from the line on the year.

Through eight games, Okoro has scored in double digits in all but one game except Richmond where he was in early foul trouble.

He has helped the undefeated Tigers rise 12 spots from their original AP Poll ranking of No. 24 to No. 12.

This is the second week Okoro has won SEC freshman of the week. He is the fourth freshman in program history to win the award twice in a single season.

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2019/12/isaac-okoro-wins-sec-freshman-of-the-week-in-week-6.html

I haven't been able to watch any games recently but this is still my target for Memphis. 3J & Ja can fill the hoop, this is the ball stopper. Between 3J/Clarke & Okoro teams will have a rough time scoring.

He's upped his 3pt shooting to 23% from 18%. Which hopefully hurts his draft stock where Memphis can trade in for him.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#56 » by VCfor3 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:38 pm

I'm wondering if someone will ultimately take Okoro kinda high due to how meh the rest of the draft seems after the top 4-5 guys. Maybe he sneaks into the back half of the lottery due to this and we aren't able to get in and get him.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#57 » by Whole Truth » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:53 pm

VCfor3 wrote:I'm wondering if someone will ultimately take Okoro kinda high due to how meh the rest of the draft seems after the top 4-5 guys. Maybe he sneaks into the back half of the lottery due to this and we aren't able to get in and get him.

I hope not, some mock drafts have him top 10, some have him late 20's but I think you're right that some team might gamble on him due to how weak the class is turning out.

I don't know if it would matter because Memphis would still have to buy into the draft if he's available mid to late lotto.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#58 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jan 5, 2020 11:07 am

I've resigned to the fact that the only way this team retains it's 2020 pick will be through draft luck & a top 3 pick.

With the bottom West being as weak as it is Memphis could theoretically make the playoffs, land top 3 or convey a non top 10 2020 pick to Boston in what is showing to be a weak draft class for top end talent, unless you're a team in need of a PG,

Top 3 picks for me at this point.

Wiseman, Edwards, Haliburton

Haliburton is shooting 42% from 3 & is averaging 8 assists a game. I've read Memphis were more interested in ball but I think Burton could be a better complimentary player next to Ja & Jaren than potentially both Ball & Edwards.

At 6'5" he's got the necessary size.

For all the hype Melo Ball gets as a playmaker Haliburton is averaging nearly 2 more assists per game, with 8

Edwards is a ball dominant scorer shooting 40% from the field. Haliburton is shooting 50% from the field with his playmaking ability & 42% from 3. Which IMO makes him potentially a better off ball compliment to a PG that needs the ball in his hands.

He's also rebounding the ball better than Edwards averaging 6.3 boards a game, Which would compliment a stretch 5 like 3J, who's not always around the rim to rip down boards.

#1 Wiseman
#2 Haliburton
#3 Edwards

While Haliburton might not be a better individual talent/scorer than Edwards, I think he does more to bolster this team than Edwards & of Course of the 3, I think Wiseman has the highest ceiling.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#59 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 11:18 pm

jman3134 wrote:Hiya

Anyone in particular exciting you this draft? Maybe even someone for us to look at in the 2nd round? You nailed the Didi find so thought I'd pick your brain for this draft since I'm underwhelmed.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#60 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:45 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Boom

So Jamaaliver has been absolutely killing it on the Atlanta forum with threads on some of the top prospects. In the unlikely event that we end up dropping from the playoffs and win a top 4 pick I thought I'd link some of his threads. Also if someone drops that Memphis really wants then they could use the UTA 1st or something to try and trade in and grab said player.

Devin Vassell - https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1958037
Killian Hayes - https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1958280
Obi Toppin - https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1962423
Onyeka Okongwu - https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1959021
Deni Avdija - https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1951095
Tyrese Haliburton - https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1961700
Isaac Okoro - https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1957122

Vassell is interesting as a 3&D next to Morant.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies