ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#1 » by youngWizzy » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:02 am

Barring any trades we are currently set to receive the more favorable of Chicago's 2020 2nd round pick protected for selections 56-60 and Memphis' 2020 2nd round pick (via Chicago) protected for selections 56-60. Moreover, buying a pick just like in last year's draft is another option that I can envision Tommy once again doing. Tankathon (http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft) projects us to get the Memphis pick and as of today that is the 39th pick in the draft.

One guy who was picked at 39 was none other than our very own Isaac Bonga. However, other players picked at 39 include Khris Middleton and Jerami Grant.

Regardless, the pick number will more than likely fluctuate but there will more than likely be good players that we can select in that range.

One guy that catches my eye as of now is Payton Pritchard from Oregon who is projected in the late round.

Who do you all think will be a 2nd round gem?
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#2 » by pcbothwel » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:58 pm

Paul Reed, Isaiah Joe, Ashton Hagans, Xavier Tillman...

Also, I dont see us paying for another 2nd. We are adding two more rookies and then probably a UDFA. Combine that with our current group and I have a hard time seeing us spend the money on a pick for a player that might not make the team.
I.E. Can a mid 2nd round pick out play the deep bench players of Bonga, Robinson, Schofield, 2020 Bulls 2nd, Gary Payton, Mathews, etc.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#3 » by payitforward » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:08 pm

To answer your last question, yes, absolutely, a mid-R2 pick might play better than our "deep bench players... Bonga, Robinson, Schofield, 2020 Bulls 2nd, Gary Payton, Mathews, etc."

But, I'm not sure that's a relevant question in any case. We have 8 guaranteed contracts for next year (Wall, Beal, Bryant, Ish, Rui, Brown, Wagner & Schofield). I think we can assume that we'll pick up Bonga's option, making it 9. The only other option we have is on Robinson. We'll know on 1/10 if we pick up his option for this year.

As to Payton, I believe he's been signed to a veteran minimum contract for this year -- which, I don't think even gives us Bird rights on him for next season. Mathews & Pasecniks are 2-way players. Again, that means we have no rights over them for next year.

Looking at our 8 guaranteed guys, we don't know how good Rui, Wagner or Schofield are going to be. & Ish's expiring contract won't be a factor in what we do. I'm sure we'd love to re-sign Bertans, but we aren't going to know whether that's possible on draft day next year.

Above all, the idea that we have even a relatively stable roster, one that provides a framework for future success, makes no sense at all to me. This is a 9-21 team. That's our record, & we've earned it.

The Washington Wizards are rebuilding after a disastrous stretch of mismanagement. At our best we weren't all that good, & that "best" is long gone.

So what? Every team has to rebuild from generation to generation of players. That's not a problem at all, not to me anyway. Imagining that we are some kind of a good NBA team... that's a problem.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#4 » by payitforward » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:25 pm

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2020-2nd-round.html has us picking at #37 & taking a SG with an absolutely impossible name: Both Gach.

I note that they project Tyler Bey into R2 (#34). He looks awfully good....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,349

Post#5 » by doclinkin » Sun Jan 5, 2020 4:20 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Paul Reed, Xavier Tillman...

Yes and yes. I've been on Xavier Tillman since last year, and now he has added playmaking and a three point shot to his skills list. Paul Reed is having a solid year especially on defense and has the type of developmental profile I like: becoming more efficient and skilled with increased usage. These two are gamers.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#6 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:09 pm

youngWizzy wrote:Barring any trades we are currently set to receive the more favorable of Chicago's 2020 2nd round pick protected for selections 56-60 and Memphis' 2020 2nd round pick (via Chicago) protected for selections 56-60. Moreover, buying a pick just like in last year's draft is another option that I can envision Tommy once again doing. Tankathon (http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft) projects us to get the Memphis pick and as of today that is the 39th pick in the draft.

One guy who was picked at 39 was none other than our very own Isaac Bonga. However, other players picked at 39 include Khris Middleton and Jerami Grant.

Regardless, the pick number will more than likely fluctuate but there will more than likely be good players that we can select in that range.

One guy that catches my eye as of now is Payton Pritchard from Oregon who is projected in the late round.

Killian Tillie is someone that interests me, a teammate of Rui.

Isaiah Joe potentially looks like a big time shooter.

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 510

Post#7 » by The Consiglieri » Sun Jan 5, 2020 6:36 pm

youngWizzy wrote:Barring any trades we are currently set to receive the more favorable of Chicago's 2020 2nd round pick protected for selections 56-60 and Memphis' 2020 2nd round pick (via Chicago) protected for selections 56-60. Moreover, buying a pick just like in last year's draft is another option that I can envision Tommy once again doing. Tankathon (http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft) projects us to get the Memphis pick and as of today that is the 39th pick in the draft.

So the protections are the reverse of what you'd expect? As in if it's a late 2nd rounder they get to keep them? Sorry for not understanding it, it just seems very non-intuitive, it sounds like protections for us instead of them, as in, we don't use it, if the pick is super low. Is that what's going on?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#8 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 6:44 pm

The Consiglieri wrote:

So the protections are the reverse of what you'd expect? As in if it's a late 2nd rounder they get to keep them? Sorry for not understanding it, it just seems very non-intuitive, it sounds like protections for us instead of them, as in, we don't use it, if the pick is super low. Is that what's going on?

Yes, inverted protections intended to help us, not them. The pick is going to be a pretty high 2nd rounder - probably in the 38-42 range.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jan 5, 2020 9:58 pm

Maybe Tre Jones for PG depth & eventual replacement for Ish ?

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/tre-jones.html
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#10 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 7, 2020 10:06 pm

payitforward wrote:http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2020-2nd-round.html has us picking at #37 & taking a SG with an absolutely impossible name: Both Gach.

I note that they project Tyler Bey into R2 (#34). He looks awfully good....

What's a worse name - Jay Scrubb or Makur Maker (at least that's better than Bol Bol).

Bey's a good call. I'm guessing he goes late 1st, but he could slide. 3 under the radar 3 & D types I like are Devin Vassell from Florida (kinda reminds me of Danny Green when he was at UNC), DJ Jeffries of Memphis, and Lamar Stevens of Penn State.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 8, 2020 9:58 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2819294-lamine-diane-is-cbbs-unknown-freshman-putting-up-no-1-pick-deandre-ayton-stats
Lamine Diane is a real wild card - great at some things, bad at others, someone to keep an eye on.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:45 am

I'd love Killian Tillie from Gonzaga in the 2nd round !

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/killian-tillie.html

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:31 pm

You might say, the Wiz could use a Tinkle - Tres Tinkle that is - a 5th year senior from Oregon State - who's putting up some serious numbers and dramatically improved his 3 point shooting. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/tres-tinkle-1.html

He'll turn 24 near draft day, so as Dickie V would say (I wouldn't - no sir), Tinkle is no Diaper Dandy.

What a horrible situation for him - the better he plays, the more attention, he gets, and the more laughs he has to here about his name. It'll just get worse if he makes it on an NBA roster. A Catch 22... if Tinkle takes a Wiz... uniform. What? I'm sure it'll be a relief. Butt seriously, he could be next season's Garrison Mathews.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#14 » by payitforward » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:58 pm

He could change his name to Trickle -- Tres Trickle. Much better.

Meanwhile, he's playing very well you are right. Is he a 3?

If he's a 4, he's going to have to change his name, right?
Spoiler:
Quatro Tinkle! :)
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#15 » by youngWizzy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:42 pm

Another name I'll throw out there is Derrick Alston Jr. from Boise St. Really impressive frame but definitely needs to get stronger. The way he moves and scores is almost reminiscent of a young Brandon Ingram. However, defensively I'm really confused why he doesn't get any defensive stats at that frame. Nonetheless, a name to think about.
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:30 pm

payitforward wrote:He could change his name to Trickle -- Tres Trickle. Much better.

Meanwhile, he's playing very well you are right. Is he a 3?

If he's a 4, he's going to have to change his name, right?
Spoiler:
Quatro Tinkle! :)

I laughed in spite of myself. Wasn't there a successful race car driver named Dick Trickle? Talk about evil parenting.

I actually watched some video of... Tres. He doesn't pass the eye test - looks very stiff... er awkward, but he plays so effectively, I think he has a chance to make it in the NBA. He's sort of positionless - meaning I'm not sure he can guard anyone.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#17 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:17 am

Here's the thing, Ruz -- can he dribble? :)
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:45 am

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:53 am

Well not sure what's up with this guy Dante. I watched the Oregon game earlier to see him in action but he wasn't in the game. Maybe he's injured?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#20 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:19 am

Homer pick: Jalen Smith

I see a tall small forward at the next level.

Sent from my SM-A205U using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards