ImageImageImage

Tatum and Brown, as 1-2 Options

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,313

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#641 » by Homerclease » Mon Jan 6, 2020 5:48 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#642 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jan 6, 2020 7:01 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Great. Though a little silly comparing his 25 possessions in 29 games to, say, Embiid's 242 possessions so far.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#643 » by Homerclease » Mon Jan 6, 2020 7:05 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Great. Though a little silly comparing his 25 possessions in 29 games to, say, Embiid's 242 possessions so far.

Well sure. I guess the point may be that we should look to get Brown the ball in the post more often against smaller guards. For someone who is often called our third or even fourth option it’s a good way to get him some looks in an iso against a teams weaker defenders
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,624

Post#644 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Jan 6, 2020 7:09 pm

Homerclease wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Well sure. I guess the point may be that we should look to get Brown the ball in the post more often against smaller guards. For someone who is often called our third or even fourth option it’s a good way to get him some looks in an iso against a teams weaker defenders

Grant is 4th on that list and Enes is nowhere to be seen.

Perhaps inclusion on that list is more about timely cuts to the basket and passes that exploit them, rather than true standing-start post-scoring talent.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#645 » by Homerclease » Mon Jan 6, 2020 7:12 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Perhaps inclusion on that list is more about timely cuts to the basket and passes that exploit them, rather than true standing-start post-scoring talent.

Kanter hasn’t been that efficient down low tbh. I’d be curious to see how many of his rebounds are off his own misses. He’s doing his job fine but every game I watch it seems he leaves quite a few points out there by missing a bunny or fumbling the ball away.

Obviously these stats are skewed by volume but I found it interesting that Brown and even Grant seem up to the task on the block when given the opportunity
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,192

Post#646 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Jan 6, 2020 7:13 pm

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#647 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Jan 6, 2020 7:15 pm

Homerclease wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Last I checked, Kanter's PPP on postups is something like 1.06. So maybe just below Dwight Howard on that list.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#648 » by Homerclease » Mon Jan 6, 2020 7:16 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Well sure. I guess the point may be that we should look to get Brown the ball in the post more often against smaller guards. For someone who is often called our third or even fourth option it’s a good way to get him some looks in an iso against a teams weaker defenders

Last I checked, Kanter's PPP on postups is something like 1.07. So maybe just below Dwight Howard on that list.

I think Smitty had it a week or so ago that Kanter is also shooting at a career worst around the rim, I’ll have to go back and find it
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#649 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Jan 6, 2020 7:21 pm

Homerclease wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

Last I checked, Kanter's PPP on postups is something like 1.07. So maybe just below Dwight Howard on that list.

I think Smitty had it a week or so ago that Kanter is also shooting at a career worst around the rim, I’ll have to go back and find it

Yep, just below 60% within 3 feet of the rim. Might be correlated to him having a career-high in offensive rebounding %. I don't mind those misses since he eventually makes the bucket on the third or fourth putback lol.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#650 » by Homerclease » Mon Jan 6, 2020 7:31 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Last I checked, Kanter's PPP on postups is something like 1.07. So maybe just below Dwight Howard on that list.

Yep, just below 60% within 3 feet of the rim. Might be correlated to him having a career-high in offensive rebounding %. I don't mind those misses since he eventually makes the bucket on the third or fourth putback lol.

Yeah that’s what my eyes were telling me too. Certainly not complaining about Kanters production as of late. Would like to see them go to Brown more down low given this chart though. Make Beal work a little on defense tonight or get Brown switched onto IT whenever possible
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,966

Post#651 » by sam_I_am » Mon Jan 6, 2020 8:28 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Well sure. I guess the point may be that we should look to get Brown the ball in the post more often against smaller guards. For someone who is often called our third or even fourth option it’s a good way to get him some looks in an iso against a teams weaker defenders

Kanter hasn’t been that efficient down low tbh. I’d be curious to see how many of his rebounds are off his own misses. He’s doing his job fine but every game I watch it seems he leaves quite a few points out there by missing a bunny or fumbling the ball away.

Obviously these stats are skewed by volume but I found it interesting that Brown and even Grant seem up to the task on the block when given the opportunity

I bet Kanter would look more efficient if you counted the 3 shots and 2 offensive rebounds he needs to make a basket as 1 shot, no rebounds. I’m glad he gets a score in the post even if he has to do it that way. I just think his stats are hard to evaluate at face value.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#652 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Jan 6, 2020 8:50 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

I bet Kanter would look more efficient if you counted the 3 shots and 2 offensive rebounds he needs to make a basket as 1 shot, no rebounds. I’m glad he gets a score in the post even if he has to do it that way. I just think his stats are hard to evaluate at face value.

Yep. His absurdly high offensive rebounding numbers and his oddly low shooting percentage offset each other quite a bit.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#653 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:27 am

Fantaxp7
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,601

Post#654 » by Fantaxp7 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:40 pm

Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#655 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:26 pm

Ya know, it's still the case that Tatum and Brown are both natural forwards and to a large extent playing as such.
-- Their handle and passing are at best adequate for their roles and scoring usage; they don't have much "extra" in those traditional guard skills.
-- Jaylen, as noted above, is a good post scorer.
-- Jayson excels at defense when he can roam a bit away from his man and jump a passing lane.
-- Both have the bodies for shotblocking.
-- Both have the bodies for rebounding, and now often get a lot of rebounds each.
-- The Celtics commonly play 2 or 3 at once of Walker, Smart, Wanamaker and Hayward, each of whom tends to assume classic guard responsibilities on offense.
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,673

Post#656 » by Tatumfor2 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:43 am

0-1 without JT. This is all the sample I need. MVP!!!
Win it for Al!!! :pray:
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#657 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:49 am

Tatumfor2 wrote:0-1 without JT. This is all the sample I need. MVP!!!

I will say i think he has maybe become our most important player defensively, and I'm one of the biggest Smart fans there is.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#658 » by Dannyboy36 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:06 pm

The Comedian wrote:

I will say i think he has maybe become our most important player defensively, and I'm one of the biggest Smart fans there is.

I think Smart is very good on d but still way overrated.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#659 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:11 pm

Dannyboy36 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

I think Smart is very good on d but still way overrated.

I mean at absolute worst, he's the 2nd best defensive player on the team. His man defense has definitely taken a step back this year, but his team defense is still beyond elite.

He certainly hasn't looked the same since the eye thing, has had 2 awesome games and the rest have sucked. Hoping he gets some consistency back ASAP.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#660 » by ddb » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:06 pm

I want to talk about Jayson Tatum for a post...Strictly Jayson Tatum. First of all, this kid is getting noticeably stronger. His shoulders/arms are bulking up and not in a bad way. He's shooting the ball better and with more confidence. He's developing into a plus defender getting into lanes and using his length to deflect passes and pick up steals. he's blocking shots. He's finishing around the rim.... We are getting closer and closer to this officially becoming Jayson Tatum's team. Could be as soon as after the All-Star break. Jayson Tatum isn't the perfect player at age 21, but he's surely evolving into a superstar.
I am so, so thankful that Danny Ainge held on to this kid. Lock him up long-term this summer and don't even think twice.

Return to Boston Celtics