Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,435

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#61 » by G R E Y » Sun Feb 3, 2019 7:43 am

gump's 'constant' assessment is spot on. To have the success and longevity and consistency especially in the face of upheavals and roster turnovers has been nothing short of amazing. It's not just what happens on the court - although that we're fielding a team with half a new roster and learning and executing as we grow is a tremendous achievement.

To be able to navigate the changes there has to be a deep commitment to the established culture especially when things get difficult. That culture fuels the system that permeates on and off the court, and the work behind the scenes. To keep finding quality players year after year in the draft even though we've drafted late for years, to keep developing 'guys nobody's ever heard of' and having them contribute in meaningful ways, to keep bringing out new facets to players' games (usually on the defensive end), to keep changing the style of play to maximize the strengths of the players, to keep getting guys to buy into a team-first, always accountable concept when individual highlights and achievements are so glorified, to keep it all going and in a small market - not just for its own sake but for it to be to at a certain standard is really incredible. Not everybody sticks around, but every player who's been through our program has been the better for it. I have such a tremendous respect for it all. I love watching the team and the guys on it grow, and I love supporting it.

Some fans or teams may respond to flashy new styles of play and chase them regardless of roster fit. But the constant that underpins it all shields us from the vagaries of ill-suited trends or pressures of resorting to that mythical cure-all of blowing it all up - as if that would help continue such a great culture - remains. It's not as sexy to some, but there's a reason it has staying power.

Only one team wins it all each year; not every team that does looks like it feels it deserved to. You have to win the right way to feel satisfied with the result. I'd much rather support a team that does it the way the Spurs do than a cheat code team or one that goes for broke chasing it all with a bunch of mercenaries and then have it fall apart and stay mired in the bottom for years. Every year, there is always something legitimately exciting to cheer for with the Spurs. Whatever we achieve, we know we've earned it. These have a lot of value.

Spurs fans are a bit spoiled still, especially given everything the team has weathered. The Spurs with the present and future in mind are still riding through 'what have you done for me lately' expectations. Having exciting players is but one thing. Knowing how to get the best out of them is another. So I'm not worried about our Texas rivals. Having the long view in mind, we're more solid team wide. My sense is that it's internal team expectations that need to be met here as you can't control anything else. It's a constant that has and will serve us well. I'm not sure people realize how rare that is. Few other teams have that.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#62 » by SD2042 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 6:04 pm

imagump1313 wrote:I have to say I'm a little bit excited about the Spurs future seeing how White and Forbes are contributing and Bertans is finally starting to "get it". I wouldn't be surprised if SA stays competitive with or even surpasses both Houston and Dallas for the next few years.
Chris Paul's hamstring and contract have destroyed Houston. I don't see that team getting better than they were last year even when healthy. Dallas gets better, yes. But they aren't even close to contending next year.
As far as the Spurs go, we still have a small window with Aldridge and DeRozan and a deep supporting cast for a year or two if we get lucky with a couple of right moves this off season and stay healthy.

Sometimes, it takes circumstances and opportunity for players to rise to the occasion. When Murray went down, the opportunities for White and Forbes presented itself and for both players, it paid off for both guys. As always, I expect the Spurs to stay relevant regardless of what's going on around them.

To the Rockets, any Mike D'Antoni led teams, I consider "regular season entertainment teams" D'Antoni has always been like that since his days with the Suns. The only teams he had his failures were with the Knicks(Melo) and the Lakers(abysmal). As expected, the Rox will have a good to great regular season. Come playoff time, they will come up short. Very likely with the Warriors once again. With CP3 as he ages with his history of injuries, it will be hard to rely on his status to stay healthy. As for his contract, it's their problem, I wish them good luck.

To the Mavs, it will be at least a couple of years before they become contenders in the long run. At least, they are starting their rebuild in the right direction for a change. Finally, Cuban got over himself as he wasn't a believer of rebuilds. Sometimes, certain situations will come in play that will make the owner and GM to start making the hard choices for the present and future.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#63 » by SD2042 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 6:14 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:gump's 'constant' assessment is spot on. To have the success and longevity and consistency especially in the face of upheavals and roster turnovers has been nothing short of amazing. It's not just what happens on the court - although that we're fielding a team with half a new roster and learning and executing as we grow is a tremendous achievement.

To be able to navigate the changes there has to be a deep commitment to the established culture especially when things get difficult. That culture fuels the system that permeates on and off the court, and the work behind the scenes. To keep finding quality players year after year in the draft even though we've drafted late for years, to keep developing 'guys nobody's ever heard of' and having them contribute in meaningful ways, to keep bringing out new facets to players' games (usually on the defensive end), to keep changing the style of play to maximize the strengths of the players, to keep getting guys to buy into a team-first, always accountable concept when individual highlights and achievements are so glorified, to keep it all going and in a small market - not just for its own sake but for it to be to at a certain standard is really incredible. Not everybody sticks around, but every player who's been through our program has been the better for it. I have such a tremendous respect for it all. I love watching the team and the guys on it grow, and I love supporting it.

Some fans or teams may respond to flashy new styles of play and chase them regardless of roster fit. But the constant that underpins it all shields us from the vagaries of ill-suited trends or pressures of resorting to that mythical cure-all of blowing it all up - as if that would help continue such a great culture - remains. It's not as sexy to some, but there's a reason it has staying power.

Only one team wins it all each year; not every team that does looks like it feels it deserved to. You have to win the right way to feel satisfied with the result. I'd much rather support a team that does it the way the Spurs do than a cheat code team or one that goes for broke chasing it all with a bunch of mercenaries and then have it fall apart and stay mired in the bottom for years. Every year, there is always something legitimately exciting to cheer for with the Spurs. Whatever we achieve, we know we've earned it. These have a lot of value.

Spurs fans are a bit spoiled still, especially given everything the team has weathered. The Spurs with the present and future in mind are still riding through 'what have you done for me lately' expectations. Having exciting players is but one thing. Knowing how to get the best out of them is another. So I'm not worried about our Texas rivals. Having the long view in mind, we're more solid team wide. My sense is that it's internal team expectations that need to be met here as you can't control anything else. It's a constant that has and will serve us well. I'm not sure people realize how rare that is. Few other teams have that.

I'm not sure how to correlate Spurs and "spoiled" in the same sentence. If anything, I say they been blessed up and keep it humble throughout their tenure in the league. If anything, I still think the Lakers and their fans are the most spoiled in the league. Almost to the point of being obnoxious.

For a small market, the Spurs had their share of success and have 5 championships(although it should've been 6) to show for it. They are doing the right thing by keep their relevance for now. Eventually, their time will show up again and might get that sixth championship somewhere down the road.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#64 » by G R E Y » Mon Feb 4, 2019 6:59 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Spoiler:
GREY 1769 wrote:gump's 'constant' assessment is spot on. To have the success and longevity and consistency especially in the face of upheavals and roster turnovers has been nothing short of amazing. It's not just what happens on the court - although that we're fielding a team with half a new roster and learning and executing as we grow is a tremendous achievement.

I'm not sure how to correlate Spurs and "spoiled" in the same sentence. If anything, I say they been blessed up and keep it humble throughout their tenure in the league. If anything, I still think the Lakers and their fans are the most spoiled in the league. Almost to the point of being obnoxious.

For a small market, the Spurs had their share of success and have 5 championships(although it should've been 6) to show for it. They are doing the right thing by keep their relevance for now. Eventually, their time will show up again and might get that sixth championship somewhere down the road.

I'm not correlating Spurs and spoiled in the same sentence at all, rather with some fans. There is a contingent of fans (not so much on here, but in other social media spheres) that are quite fickle and when we were struggling in December and even 3 games below .500 there were calls for PATFO's heads, criticism for the supposed misdirection they put the team on, for not tanking. Why? Because a malcontent wanted out? No - no matter what, no player is bigger than the team. Because half the team is comprised of new players who didn't gel right away? It was shocking to see the dismissive criticism from fans who didn't realize that it doesn't just magically happen all at once. Now we are starting to see the fruits of the system setting in, though we're nowhere near yet where we can be, and we're doing it all undermanned. Along the way, though, there was a myopic perspective from some fans who wanted immediate results without giving a think as to how the process develops.

The key is sustainability and that driving force underneath that continues, so no matter who is on the court (though that driving force has to do with finding the right players through all these years). Some fans in SA I think sometimes do not realize how lucky they are to have a FO that sticks to its principles and continues to keep it all going as a result. It takes some fortitude to stay true to the course even if others don't appreciate the journey or have faith that it's the right destination.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#65 » by SD2042 » Tue Feb 5, 2019 12:03 am

GREY 1769 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
Spoiler:

I'm not correlating Spurs and spoiled in the same sentence at all, rather with some fans. There is a contingent of fans (not so much on here, but in other social media spheres) that are quite fickle and when we were struggling in December and even 3 games below .500 there were calls for PATFO's heads, criticism for the supposed misdirection they put the team on, for not tanking. Why? Because a malcontent wanted out? No - no matter what, no player is bigger than the team. Because half the team is comprised of new players who didn't gel right away? It was shocking to see the dismissive criticism from fans who didn't realize that it doesn't just magically happen all at once. Now we are starting to see the fruits of the system setting in, though we're nowhere near yet where we can be, and we're doing it all undermanned. Along the way, though, there was a myopic perspective from some fans who wanted immediate results without giving a think as to how the process develops.

The key is sustainability and that driving force underneath that continues, so no matter who is on the court (though that driving force has to do with finding the right players through all these years). Some fans in SA I think sometimes do not realize how lucky they are to have a FO that sticks to its principles and continues to keep it all going as a result. It takes some fortitude to stay true to the course even if others don't appreciate the journey or have faith that it's the right destination.

My mistake on that spoiled part. As for the patience thing, it sounds exactly like the Magic who I've been a fan of for twenty six years. The third rebuild of the franchise and the longest one so far in it's history. Some of the fans have become frustrated with how things have gone since the "Dwightmare Aftermath". Let's just say after six years, either they will get it together or maybe they won't. Either way, I have better things in my life worth pressing than losing my patience with a team who have yet to figure it out. The Magic need to take notes from the Spurs on a lot of key issues.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#66 » by G R E Y » Wed Feb 6, 2019 5:29 pm

Aaaaand there goes Stanley Johnson. Assuming there was a little bit of fire to the smoke that we were interested, I guess either not enough to give up what it would cost us and / or not enough interest from the other side in what we may have been offering.

We'll likely stand pat if previous trade deadlines are an indication, but it's more about upgrades in the context of team chemistry and familiarity (harder to incorporate someone not familiar with our system in the middle of the season, especially with so many new faces to begin with).
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#67 » by G R E Y » Wed Feb 6, 2019 6:35 pm

Why Dejounte is awesome #537:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#68 » by imagump1313 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 9:19 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:Aaaaand there goes Stanley Johnson. Assuming there was a little bit of fire to the smoke that we were interested, I guess either not enough to give up what it would cost us and / or not enough interest from the other side in what we may have been offering.

We'll likely stand pat if previous trade deadlines are an indication, but it's more about upgrades in the context of team chemistry and familiarity (harder to incorporate someone not familiar with our system in the middle of the season, especially with so many new faces to begins with).

I have two words "THANK GOD"

I had zero to less interest in Johnson coming here unless it was vet minimum signing.

This deadline has been crazy though. I wouldn't mind getting a decent defender with some athleticism if we could swing it without giving up a pick. Maybe we try to get Dedmon back from Atlanta somehow? They are shopping him and others from what I hear.

From us getting spanked in Sacramento and basically sitting anyone that matters against GSW tonight the team is basically saying we arent going for anything this year so do we try to get something for White or Forbes? As much as I'm starting to like them, will we have room for all of them when Murray is back next year?
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#69 » by G R E Y » Wed Feb 6, 2019 10:14 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:Aaaaand there goes Stanley Johnson. Assuming there was a little bit of fire to the smoke that we were interested, I guess either not enough to give up what it would cost us and / or not enough interest from the other side in what we may have been offering.

We'll likely stand pat if previous trade deadlines are an indication, but it's more about upgrades in the context of team chemistry and familiarity (harder to incorporate someone not familiar with our system in the middle of the season, especially with so many new faces to begins with).

I had zero to less interest in Johnson coming here unless it was vet minimum signing.

This deadline has been crazy though. I wouldn't mind getting a decent defender with some athleticism if we could swing it without giving up a pick. Maybe we try to get Dedmon back from Atlanta somehow? They are shopping him and others from what I hear.

From us getting spanked in Sacramento and basically sitting anyone that matters against GSW tonight the team is basically saying we arent going for anything this year so do we try to get something for White or Forbes? As much as I'm starting to like them, will we have room for all of them when Murray is back next year?

I didn't really have a gauge for SJ on this roster, just an update since we were rumoured to have an interest.

Pop resting main guys on either end of a B2B in the RRT is a common occurrence, so I wouldn't interpret that as not competing, rather the opposite, gearing up for games we're more likely to win. Kings are first in the league in transition / fast break points, so we're not the first nor the last team to get caught by their speed or look slower.

A big NO to trading Derrick or Bryn. One, we're in a developing and transition year while remaining competitive so doing a move of that sort for short-term gain would be a step back, I think. Two, given our weird injury bug visiting too often and staying too long like an unwanted guest, we need all the reinforcements we have, particularly those who know our system. Derrick has stepped up in light of Dejounte being out, and Bryn has played in every game this season, all as a starter, in both PG and SG positions. Important to have them as we forge ahead, growing and winning.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#70 » by imagump1313 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 10:47 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:

I didn't really have a gauge for SJ on this roster, just an update since we were rumoured to have an interest.

Pop resting main guys on either end of a B2B in the RRT is a common occurrence, so I wouldn't interpret that as not competing, rather the opposite, gearing up for games we're more likely to win. Kings are first in the league in transition / fast break points, so we're not the first nor the last team to get caught by their speed or look slower.

A big NO to trading Derrick or Bryn. One, we're in a developing and transition year while remaining competitive so doing a move of that sort for short-term gain would be a step back, I think. Two, given our weird injury bug visiting too often and staying too long like an unwanted guest, we need all the reinforcements we have, particularly those who know our system. Derrick has stepped up in light of Dejounte being out, and Bryn has played in every game this season, all as a starter, in both PG and SG positions. Important to have them as we forge ahead, growing and winning.

I wasn't saying we needed to do any of those things I mentioned. I was just pondering what we might be thinking at the deadline.
This also isn't my first rodeo (pardon the reference) but I am well aware we rest players.
It just seems like in a year when we need every win we can get not to fall out of the playoffs in the West, that we might be dangerously close do doing just that after this rodeo trip.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#71 » by G R E Y » Wed Feb 6, 2019 11:03 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:

I wasn't saying we needed to do any of those things I mentioned. I was just pondering what we might be thinking at the deadline.
This also isn't my first rodeo (pardon the reference) but I am well aware we rest players.
It just seems like in a year when we need every win we can get not to fall out of the playoffs in the West, that we might be dangerously close do doing just that after this rodeo trip.

I thought you were linking resting guys versus GSW as somehow connected to waving a white flag in terms of competing, so it was not about explaining what Spurs do around RRT but providing an alternative, that it may be for competing.

Sometimes the deal you don't do is the best one. I trust PATFO to do what's best for now to stay competitive - and we are - and for strengthening our future. There's definitely something to having just about everyone on one and two year contracts, both in guys we signed and players we acquired. It'll be interesting to see what / who manifests from that, but it definitely seems like a plan is in place.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by imagump1313 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 1:32 am

GREY 1769 wrote:Sometimes the deal you don't do is the best one. I trust PATFO to do what's best for now to stay competitive - and we are - and for strengthening our future. There's definitely something to having just about everyone on one and two year contracts, both in guys we signed and players we acquired. It'll be interesting to see what / who manifests from that, but it definitely seems like a plan is in place.

I trust them also. It has been a crazy couple days though but mostly it seems people are shipping out their own problems to take on other people's problems. I don't want to make a trade just to make a trade. All these teams just seem to be spinning their wheels.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#73 » by G R E Y » Sun Mar 3, 2019 7:35 am

Davis's older brother has made it to the NBA, signing with the Pelicans.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

The Bertans rivalry continues!:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by imagump1313 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:51 am

Is anyone else enjoying the Lakers franchise being a complete dumpster fire as much as I am?
The arrogance of that franchise pushing around the small market teams in this league for decades has finally caught up with them. Thank you Pelicans!
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by imagump1313 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:20 am

My comments on the Draft Lottery:LMAO!!!!

Congratulations to New Orleans, they deserved it, and small market teams everywhere!
I know if Davis stays there now it will be more work for us but HAHA anyway LA and NY!!!
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#76 » by Phreak50 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 11:17 am

Can't believe Warriors waived Marquese Chriss.

Guy is 22 years old, can jump through the roof, hit an open three, a decent ballhandler and willing passer.

Sure he is a nut job but we gotta get on this. Take a risk on a young guy with potential.

He could take Lyles role in all honesty and at worst, Eubanks' role as a G League and Spurs backup.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 1:06 am

Phreak50 wrote:Can't believe Warriors waived Marquese Chriss.

Guy is 22 years old, can jump through the roof, hit an open three, a decent ballhandler and willing passer.

Sure he is a nut job but we gotta get on this. Take a risk on a young guy with potential.

He could take Lyles role in all honesty and at worst, Eubanks' role as a G League and Spurs backup.

They had to decide between him and D. Lee because of the cap I think.
We could use his shot blocking and defense. I don't think he would replace Lyles because Lyles can shoot. Much more upside than Eubanks though.
I hope we at least inquire.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#78 » by Phreak50 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 5:16 am

Chriss can shoot though. Teams just haven't used him that way since his rookie year.

I'd imagine in our system, he'd get as open a look as he ever has.

Would love to convince him to reboot his career (and head) with us.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by imagump1313 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:45 am

Well the Chriss thing never materialized. Looks like they planned on re-signing him all along. :(
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by imagump1313 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 12:39 am

Houston gave up Capela to get Covington???
This makes me happy! Covington is the most overrated player in the NBA IMO.
We wont have to worry about Houston being an obstacle in the near future. Morey is tearing that team up.

Return to San Antonio Spurs