And1: 19,081

The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1 » by Kobblehead » Tue Jan 7, 2020 7:43 pm

Kobblehead
RealGM

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#2 » by Kobblehead » Tue Jan 7, 2020 7:46 pm

rulebook wrote:It's pretty much impossible to average 20+ per game on transition buckets and shots deep in the paint. He will never reach that output unless he develops at least a midrange jumper.

Not when you factor in the added free throw attempts that come with slashing aggression. Ben Simmons doesn't need to add anything to his game to average 20 other than his own aggression. Then once he starts adding new wrinkles, he'll get even better. Until then, he could easily average 20+ just on having a more aggressive mentality.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,288

Post#3 » by Jstock12 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 7:54 pm

nurseryc wrote:
Wilfried wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
Seriously what are the obvious reasons?

Because according to a lot of stats, Simmons is a top 50 player in this league (and 3rd best on the team)?

Lol Simmons is at worst the second best player on the team. He’s also at least a top 25 player in the nba and a top 5-10 defensive player in the nba.

Agreed, lots of posters too shallow in their thinking about basketball. Simmons is a sure fire All-Star and honestly his impact is comparable to Embiid in most games.
ConstableChaos
Junior
And1: 205

Post#4 » by ConstableChaos » Tue Jan 7, 2020 11:49 pm

In November he was avg 3.4 FTA/game, and in Dec this jumped up to 5.5. https://www.espn.com/nba/player/splits/_/id/3907387/ben-simmons

If he can get this number closer to 7.5 for the rest of the way AND (a big if) he can hit ~65% his scoring should dramatically increase. How this effects the playoffs is to be seen, especially when refs swallow their whistle towards the end of games
Young22
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#5 » by Young22 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 1:19 am

ConstableChaos wrote:In November he was avg 3.4 FTA/game, and in Dec this jumped up to 5.5. https://www.espn.com/nba/player/splits/_/id/3907387/ben-simmons

If he can get this number closer to 7.5 for the rest of the way AND (a big if) he can hit ~65% his scoring should dramatically increase. How this effects the playoffs is to be seen, especially when refs swallow their whistle towards the end of games

Now this is encouraging. Come on Ben, get them free throws up
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#6 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 8, 2020 2:03 am

Past two games have been encouraging. More involved in looking to score via two man game
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,463

Post#7 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed Jan 8, 2020 2:21 am

Like I said, I hope he's gotten the message, I hope he realizes what he needs to do for us to take a step further. This isn't about amassing as much talent as we can around him and Embiid. I do like that both have gotten to play with proven vets like Horford and established stars like Buter. I think it has helped with their growth, but I think now is the time for them to get busy like Batman and Robin. Once that happens, once Ben makes every opponent aware that he will score on them, it wont matter who we put around him and Embiid. Still....Ben needs to continue his recent trend upwards. These last two games are what we should be expecting from him on a nightly basis. It'll happen, TTP.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,121

Post#8 » by Arsenal » Wed Jan 8, 2020 2:52 am

Ben at 7.5 FTA/game and 70% FT% is a true superstar, even if he never shoots another 3.

Do that, AND shoot two 3's per game, and he has MVP potential.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,899

Post#9 » by Wilfried » Wed Jan 8, 2020 10:19 am

Jstock12 wrote:
nurseryc wrote:
Wilfried wrote:
Because according to a lot of stats, Simmons is a top 50 player in this league (and 3rd best on the team)?

Lol Simmons is at worst the second best player on the team. He’s also at least a top 25 player in the nba and a top 5-10 defensive player in the nba.

Agreed, lots of posters too shallow in their thinking about basketball. Simmons is a sure fire All-Star and honestly his impact is comparable to Embiid in most games.

And some posters seem to think that the NBA2K rating of a player is his actual worth?
Harris have been our second best player this season according to the stats, if it fits your mind or not, that's not my problem.

It's up to Simmons to become the 2nd best (or even best) player on this team. Not saying he's not capable.

But people who think Simmons is the kind of player who will get '20 in his sleep' seem to mistake him for another player.
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#10 » by nurseryc » Wed Jan 8, 2020 10:54 am

Wilfried wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:
nurseryc wrote:

And some posters seem to think that the NBA2K rating of a player is his actual worth?
Harris have been our second best player this season according to the stats, if it fits your mind or not, that's not my problem.

It's up to Simmons to become the 2nd best (or even best) player on this team. Not saying he's not capable.

But people who think Simmons is the kind of player who will get '20 in his sleep' seem to mistake him for another player.

According to what stats exactly? All Tobias is giving you is more points...
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#11 » by cool93 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 11:16 am

nurseryc wrote:According to what stats exactly? All Tobias is giving you is more points...

He also doesn't kill his team on every halfcourt posession, so there is that.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,899

Post#12 » by Wilfried » Wed Jan 8, 2020 12:18 pm

nurseryc wrote:
Wilfried wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:

According to what stats exactly? All Tobias is giving you is more points...

RPM (Harris 15th in NBA, Simmons 45th)

PIMP and PER give Simmons the edge, so you're right. Mostly, Simmons acts like our 2nd best player
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#13 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 8, 2020 12:42 pm

Yeah. Tobi is the second best player for me.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#14 » by Kobblehead » Wed Jan 8, 2020 1:01 pm

2018:
1. Embiid
2. Redick
3. Simmons

2019:
1. Embiid
2. Butler
3. Harris
4. Redick
5. Simmons

2020:
1. Embiid
2. Harris
3. Richardson
4. Simmons

I don't think Simmons has ever been more than the 3rd best player on this team, and that was years ago. He has the talent to be the 2nd best player but does not do it consistently.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,848

Post#15 » by mjkvol » Wed Jan 8, 2020 1:58 pm

Arsenal wrote:Ben at 7.5 FTA/game and 70% FT% is a true superstar, even if he never shoots another 3.

Do that, AND shoot two 3's per game, and he has MVP potential.

Even without the 3's he is a top five player every year in the sport if he simply maintains the aggressiveness going to the rack, learns to finish better at the rim, develops a couple of post-up moves, and makes 70% of his FT's. All of these are well within his skill set, and the elite defense is already here. He does these things, I honestly don't care if he ever shoots a three again.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#16 » by mithrandir17 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 2:01 pm

Kobblehead wrote:2018:
1. Embiid
2. Redick
3. Simmons

2019:
1. Embiid
2. Butler
3. Harris
4. Redick
5. Simmons

2020:
1. Embiid
2. Harris
3. Richardson
4. Simmons

I don't think Simmons has ever been more than the 3rd best player on this team, and that was years ago. He has the talent to be the 2nd best player but does not do it consistently.

You just sorted it based on Points per Game. That is not the definition of the best player on a team.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#17 » by Kobblehead » Wed Jan 8, 2020 2:05 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:You just sorted it based Points per Game. That is not the definition of the best player on a team.

That's because the best players on a team are usually the guys that score the most points. I'm not giving Ben a pass for being the 2nd most talented player on the team if he's the 3rd, 4th and even 5th most productive player. That's called enabling and it is probably why he's so entitled and why there's not sense of urgency within him to reach greatness.

If Ben wants to be considered a great player, he needs to produce like a great player.
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#18 » by PhillyFan11 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 2:10 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:You just sorted it based Points per Game. That is not the definition of the best player on a team.

That's because the best players on a team are usually the guys that score the most points. I'm not giving Ben a pass for being the 2nd most talented player on the team if he's the 3rd, 4th and even 5th most productive player. That's called enabling and it is probably why he's so entitled and why there's not sense of urgency within him to reach greatness.

If Ben wants to be considered a great player, he needs to produce like a great player.

Yeah because things like defense, creating points off of assists, and rebounding aren’t important at all...

Ben needs to be better on offense no doubt, I don’t think anyone should be arguing that. But you’re out of your mind if you don’t think Ben contributes more to team wins than anyone other than Embiid
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#19 » by mithrandir17 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 2:11 pm

Kobblehead wrote:

I agree that Ben is not playing like a great player but ranking Redick(2017)/Harris(2018)/Richardson(2019) above him just because they have a higher PPG in those years is not right. Redick was one of the reason why we lost to Boston. Harris struggled when he first got here. Maybe Harris has surpassed Ben this year but Richardson will never rank above Simmons even Ben just continues his play this year.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#20 » by Kobblehead » Wed Jan 8, 2020 2:14 pm

Those guys are outproducing Ben despite not being a fraction as talented as him. They're better players than him in those respective years, in my eyes.

Simmons looks strong in January. He should be able to pass Richardson as the season goes on. I don't know if he can pass Harris, though. I don't think it has clicked hard enough for him to get to that level. Harris is pretty good in his own right.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers