Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Regular Season Thread 

Post#121 » by goober » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:37 am

It’s a tRap!!!
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,663

Post#122 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:37 pm

Jazz finished the year ranked #11 in the ESPN power rankings, and surprisingly, #8 in the NBA.com power rankings, with NBA.com pushing the Jazz ahead of the Mavs and Rockets due to the dominance of the Jazz starting lineup. I am not sure we will catch those teams, but it would be great if we do. The Mavs recently defeated Milwaukee and Philly on the road playing without Doncic. That's impressive. Go Jazz!

NBA.com wrote yesterday morning:

8. Utah Jazz
Record: 20-12
Pace: 100.4 (17) OffRtg: 107.9 (17) DefRtg: 106.0 (10) NetRtg: +1.8 (12)

It used to be that the Jazz needed a top-three defense to compete with the best teams in the Western Conference. But they're currently just a game in the loss column out of third place, ranking 10th in defensive efficiency. They rank 19th defensively (110.2 points allowed per 100 possessions) in December, but have won seven of their last eight games, a stretch highlighted by their win over the Clippers (LA's worst defensive game in which it's had both Paul George and Kawhi Leonard) on Saturday. Donovan Mitchell has averaged 27 points on 52% shooting over the eight games and has seemingly come up with a flurry of buckets whenever the Jazz have needed one. But the biggest key to their success might be the resurrection of Joe Ingles, who has shot 55% from 3-point range (the best mark among 119 players with at least 50 attempts) in December. The Jazz starting lineup (the one without Mike Conley) has outscored its opponents by amazing 39.1 points per 100 possessions in 139 minutes over the last seven games.

https://www.nba.com/powerrankings/2019-20-week-11?collection=powerrankings
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,203

Post#123 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jan 1, 2020 2:34 am

Locke and Booner said that it was their impression that the Jazz might be giving Bradley a chance in the role of backup center before deciding if they need to make another move before the deadline. I don't think Clarkson is going to be our last addition. But my guess is that we add a power forward, not a center, and that the FO banks on Ed Davis' problems being related to rehabilitating his leg (which, maybe?). Obviously this is speculation about speculation.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Post#124 » by Catchall » Wed Jan 1, 2020 5:43 am

babyjax13 wrote:Locke and Booner said that it was their impression that the Jazz might be giving Bradley a chance in the role of backup center before deciding if they need to make another move before the deadline. I don't think Clarkson is going to be our last addition. But my guess is that we add a power forward, not a center, and that the FO banks on Ed Davis' problems being related to rehabilitating his leg (which, maybe?). Obviously this is speculation about speculation.

The Jazz need more athleticism and toughness. The way Quin's system works, what they'd really like to have is a player who can do everything at the 4 spot--hit 3s, drive and kick, score off the dribble, finish off the pick-and-roll, rebound and defend, etc. The interesting thing is that Jarrell Brantley may be able to be that athletic jack of all trades in the front court. I think the Jazz should try him out over the next 12 games or so. Longer term, he's currently our best chance at having a Draymond Green-type PF.

Another possibility is to play Rayjon Tucker at the 3, which is another way to give our 2nd unit some more toughness and athleticism.

If both these approaches don't work, then the Jazz should go after Christian Wood, Nerlens Noel, or possibly even Ivan Rabb from the end of the Knicks' bench. That would give them some length and athleticism that they currently don't have.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#125 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jan 1, 2020 6:09 am

Catchall wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Locke and Booner said that it was their impression that the Jazz might be giving Bradley a chance in the role of backup center before deciding if they need to make another move before the deadline. I don't think Clarkson is going to be our last addition. But my guess is that we add a power forward, not a center, and that the FO banks on Ed Davis' problems being related to rehabilitating his leg (which, maybe?). Obviously this is speculation about speculation.

The Jazz need more athleticism and toughness. The way Quin's system works, what they'd really like to have is a player who can do everything at the 4 spot--hit 3s, drive and kick, score off the dribble, finish off the pick-and-roll, rebound and defend, etc. The interesting thing is that Jarrell Brantley may be able to be that athletic jack of all trades in the front court. I think the Jazz should try him out over the next 12 games or so. Longer term, he's currently our best chance at having a Draymond Green-type PF.

Another possibility is to play Rayjon Tucker at the 3, which is another way to give our 2nd unit some more toughness and athleticism.

If both these approaches don't work, then the Jazz should go after Christian Wood, Nerlens Noel, or possibly even Ivan Rabb from the end of the Knicks' bench. That would give them some length and athleticism that they currently don't have.

I like those choices a lot. I think Semi Ojeleye and Mike Scott are worth looks as well. Scott is older, but could give us some toughness and floor spacing at the 4 while the kids develop.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#126 » by Tom349 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:08 am

Anyone have our win percentage when Gobert plays over the past 4 seasons?
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#127 » by KqWIN » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:21 am

Tom349 wrote:Anyone have our win percentage when Gobert plays over the past 4 seasons?

159-91 with Gobert since the start of the 16/17 season

12-18 without
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#128 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 9:35 pm

Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#129 » by Tom349 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 11:26 am

Tony Bradley stats:

- No.2 in the league per 36 for screen assist (behind Rudy).
- No.1 in the league for box outs per 36.
- No.13 in the league for rebounds per 100 possessions @18 (Rudy 5th).
- Opponents shooting 44.1% when guarded by Bradley (Rudy @ 50.4%)
- Defending the rim at 46.9% (Rudy @ 48.4%)

He is giving us what Rudy does for 12 minutes a night, obviously doesn't have the same impact but as far as his team mates being able to utilise him he is making it possible for them to run the same offense and play the same defence. Their not having to make too many adjustments.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#130 » by stitches » Wed Jan 8, 2020 3:21 pm

Tom349 wrote:Tony Bradley stats:

- No.2 in the league per 36 for screen assist (behind Rudy).
- No.1 in the league for box outs per 36.
- No.13 in the league for rebounds per 100 possessions @18 (Rudy 5th).
- Opponents shooting 44.1% when guarded by Bradley (Rudy @ 50.4%)
- Defending the rim at 46.9% (Rudy @ 48.4%)

He is giving us what Rudy does for 12 minutes a night, obviously doesn't have the same impact but as far as his team mates being able to utilise him he is making it possible for them to run the same offense and play the same defence. Their not having to make too many adjustments.

He's been better than expected and I give him props. He is playing well enough that we are not really missing what Ed Davis was supposed to give us.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#131 » by KqWIN » Wed Jan 8, 2020 3:48 pm

TB has been playing well, especially recently. Learning how to stand by the hoop. and not jump at pump fakes has really helped him. The less he does on defense, the better the results.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#132 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 7:12 pm

Plus he's so young. If he is doing this at 21 (and with Ed's mentorship) I think he will keep getting better. Not saying he'll become a star or anything, but I can see him improving as a backup.

JColl
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#133 » by stitches » Wed Jan 8, 2020 8:08 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Plus he's so young. If he is doing this at 21 (and with Ed's mentorship) I think he will keep getting better. Not saying he'll become a star or anything, but I can see him improving as a backup.

I hope he uses Gobert's mentorship rather than Ed's to be fair :oops:
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#134 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 8:14 pm

stitches wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Plus he's so young. If he is doing this at 21 (and with Ed's mentorship) I think he will keep getting better. Not saying he'll become a star or anything, but I can see him improving as a backup.

I'm more signaling that there is not chemistry issues on the team, which is nice. But to be honest, Davis has done a lot in his career while not having the tools to be a star. I think that kind of mentorship is good for Bradley. He's certainly got a better physical profile than Davis, so if he can learn all of the tricks that made Ed effective in years prior, it should really help him.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#135 » by KqWIN » Wed Jan 8, 2020 8:36 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
stitches wrote:

I'm more signaling that there is not chemistry issues on the team, which is nice. But to be honest, Davis has done a lot in his career while not having the tools to be a star. I think that kind of mentorship is good for Bradley. He's certainly got a better physical profile than Davis, so if he can learn all of the tricks that made Ed effective in years prior, it should really help him.

Davis had a really good quote about the situation. I can't look for it right now, but his attitude could't have been better. If anything, a little worrying because he was so accepting of the situation and didn't seem to are. Locke said Davis takes Bradley out to dinner every night. Don't think many people would be so kind to the guy taking his job. Ed Davis is a good teammate.

Something I also heard Locke say is that Rudy is so demanding on his teammates it's hard for him to be a leader. People respect him but they need a break from him. Part of what makes Rudy, Rudy. Ed Davis seems like a good vet for TB.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#136 » by Rauxcee » Thu Jan 9, 2020 2:09 am

Whoever is in charge of the Vivint commercials with the Jazz players, they are on point the last couple years. :lol:
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#137 » by sipclip » Thu Jan 9, 2020 2:56 pm

KqWIN wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
stitches wrote:I hope he uses Gobert's mentorship rather than Ed's to be fair :oops:

Davis had a really good quote about the situation. I can't look for it right now, but his attitude could't have been better. If anything, a little worrying because he was so accepting of the situation and didn't seem to are. Locke said Davis takes Bradley out to dinner every night. Don't think many people would be so kind to the guy taking his job. Ed Davis is a good teammate.

Something I also heard Locke say is that Rudy is so demanding on his teammates it's hard for him to be a leader. People respect him but they need a break from him. Part of what makes Rudy, Rudy. Ed Davis seems like a good vet for TB.
Tony and Ed have so much in common with both having won national championships as freshmen at Carolina with the same coach that it isn't surprising they would bond quickly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#138 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:34 pm

Comments from ESPN this morning concerning Rudy Gobert:

Rudy Gobert is trying to make sure the West coaches have no choice but to finally put him on the All-Star team. His plus-minus during the Jazz's 13-1 run is a league-best plus-191 -- 49 points better than any player who isn't a Jazz teammate during that span. Gobert leads the West in rebounds (14.4 per game), field goal percentage (67.3%) and screen assists (7.6) in addition to his typical defensive dominance. -- MacMahon

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28471906/nba-power-rankings-week-13-latest-risers-fallers
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#139 » by zero24gravity » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:17 am

Crunch 99 wrote:Comments from ESPN this morning concerning Rudy Gobert:

Rudy Gobert is trying to make sure the West coaches have no choice but to finally put him on the All-Star team. His plus-minus during the Jazz's 13-1 run is a league-best plus-191 -- 49 points better than any player who isn't a Jazz teammate during that span. Gobert leads the West in rebounds (14.4 per game), field goal percentage (67.3%) and screen assists (7.6) in addition to his typical defensive dominance. -- MacMahon

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28471906/nba-power-rankings-week-13-latest-risers-fallers

Leaving Jazz players out due to their place in the standings (slow starts the last couple years) has been the easy excuse that coaches/media could use. Well, they are currently tied for #2 in the West. Now, drop 2 games in a row & they could slip to 5th and give the coaches reason to leave them off the squad again, so if Rudy & DM want to play in the AS game, they better make sure they keep winning.

Assuming the starters stay the same as current voting (James, Davis, Leonard, Doncic, Harden), IMO the next 6 spots should go to; George, Jokic, Lillard, Westbrook (you know he's not getting left out), Mitchell, Gobert, ..... followed by the final spot going to Towns, Booker, Morant or Porzingis.

Then there's the Least, where only about 8 guys are worthy, but whatever, it is what it is.
jazzfanWA
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2018-2019
And1: 362

Post#140 » by jazzfanWA » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:02 am

If the Jazz had this exact team minus Conley and then obtained Conley w/o giving up anyone of worth we would be ecstatic. Instead, Conley is on the verge of rejoining the team and no one is too excited.

Return to Utah Jazz