Re: Kristaps Porziņģis activated 

Post#421 » by fuller4379 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 1:23 am

Read on Twitter
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#422 » by bran muffin » Thu Jan 9, 2020 7:14 pm

Porzingis is already ruled out for both the Lakers and 76ers games. So that'll be 7 straight games with no end in sight, and the Mavs being predictably vague about his return. It's obvious whatever is keeping KP out isn't just precaution for "knee soreness". It's something way more serious and the Mavs are trying to play it down.

Maybe the Mavs already know KP ain't coming back until after the All-Star Break... but they're playing it down and pretending like his return is imminent. Just like they did with Seth Curry for the entirety of the 2017 season.

I'm surprised KP's mysterious absence hasn't gotten more attention in the media. I suppose most of the media prematurely committed to the "lol Knicks got robbed" narrative. And now they won't say anything that might contradict that.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#423 » by Jstock12 » Thu Jan 9, 2020 8:58 pm

bran muffin wrote:Porzingis is already ruled out for both the Lakers and 76ers games. So that'll be 7 straight games with no end in sight, and the Mavs being predictably vague about his return. It's obvious whatever is keeping KP out isn't just precaution for "knee soreness". It's something way more serious and the Mavs are trying to play it down.

Maybe the Mavs already know KP ain't coming back until after the All-Star Break... but they're playing it down and pretending like his return is imminent. Just like they did with Seth Curry for the entirety of the 2017 season.

I'm surprised KP's mysterious absence hasn't gotten more attention in the media. I suppose most of the media prematurely committed to the "lol Knicks got robbed" narrative. And now they won't say anything that might contradict that.

Every injury, no matter how minor, needs to be approached with extra carefulness when you're dealing with a 7'3+ guy. If you bring him back even a day early, there's a legitimate chance you'll ruin his entire career. I hope it's just Cuban being overly cautious.
MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#424 » by MrOrange » Thu Jan 9, 2020 9:04 pm

bran muffin wrote:Porzingis is already ruled out for both the Lakers and 76ers games. So that'll be 7 straight games with no end in sight, and the Mavs being predictably vague about his return. It's obvious whatever is keeping KP out isn't just precaution for "knee soreness". It's something way more serious and the Mavs are trying to play it down.

My understanding is that KP got some sort of injection in his sore right knee (not the one he was operated on), but he had caught some kind of virus which had slowed down the impact of the injection. Initially, he was due to play yesterday. That is all there is. Of course, the question remains what is the issue with the right knee.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#425 » by Pinkyring » Thu Jan 9, 2020 9:31 pm

This deal can turn out to be a disaster, he might not even be able to walk in 5 yrs
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#426 » by Imon » Thu Jan 9, 2020 9:37 pm

MrOrange wrote:My understanding is that KP got some sort of injection in his sore right knee (not the one he was operated on), but he had caught some kind of virus which had slowed down the impact of the injection. Initially, he was due to play yesterday. That is all there is. Of course, the question remains what is the issue with the right knee.

I haven't been able to read or hear anything about KP's injury except "knee soreness" where did you hear this from?

I was starting to think that I was the only guy on the Mavs board who was starting to worry about this situation. I have very little clue about what's going on but the Mavs being very tight-lipped about this situation and it's not a good look and certainly not reassuring.
I'll admit I was starting to think that it was something serious like a partially torn ACL or MCL and the Mavs were just writing it off as a sore knee. I really hope I'm wrong and this really isn't serious but the longer they try to fly this issue under the radar the more anxiety it will produce.

*EDIT*
I see where the info came from.
Paija
Junior
And1: 305

Post#427 » by Paija » Thu Jan 9, 2020 10:28 pm

MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#428 » by MrOrange » Thu Jan 9, 2020 11:03 pm

Pinkyring wrote:This deal can turn out to be a disaster, he might not even be able to walk in 5 yrs

Sure :) Fits your narrative. The struggles during year 1 after 1.5 seasons of absence were expected a long time ago. This is not NBA2K where you plug in a player as if nothing happened. We are dealing with living beings here.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#429 » by J_T » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:00 am

Ok I'm a bit worried now as well.

This injection is most commonly associated with... well with this condition:

the protective cartilage that cushions the ends of your bones wears down over time

It doesn't HAVE to be that, though, but in general it's supposed to "fuel" healing process. It is acting slowly, though, and the effects of the injection might be seen in couple of months.

Also, the reason that they have been able to say he is not going to play for few days is directly related to the injection: you are not supposed to put weight on the knee for a few days.

So it looks to me like they decided for the injection which pushed back KP's return. But it's not necessarily worsening, just side effect of the chosen procedure.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,858

Post#430 » by dirkules_41 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:31 am

Pinkyring wrote:This deal can turn out to be a disaster, he might not even be able to walk in 5 yrs

Oh look who's back. What a surprise, been difficult for you to find something to complain about lately huh? :banghead:
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#431 » by dirkules_41 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:34 am

Nothing "mysterious" about his absence.
He had swelling in his knee, this PRP injection was apparently done a while ago but he got sick this week so he couldn't practice and stick with his recovery schedule. Also Rick said "he's doing better everyday" which sounds like if he hadn't gotten ill he might be back now or in the next 2 games.
What a doomsday squad we have here :lol:
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#432 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:34 am

dirkules_41 wrote:

Oh look who's back. What a surprise, been difficult for you to find something to complain about lately huh? :banghead:

No, we've sucked lately so there's a ton to complain about actually. I post every game thread, maybe u should stalk me better
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#433 » by dirkules_41 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:36 am

Pinkyring wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:

No, we've sucked lately so there's a ton to complain about actually. I post every game thread, maybe u should stalk me better

I enjoy life and don't cry my days away in mum's basement like you, so no thanks. The comment was KP specific as I'm sure even you would've understood.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#434 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:11 am

dirkules_41 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:Oh look who's back. What a surprise, been difficult for you to find something to complain about lately huh? :banghead:

I enjoy life and don't cry my days away in mum's basement like you, so no thanks. The comment was KP specific as I'm sure even you would've understood.

Oh ok, well thanks for your glorious insight, good day pumpkin
evevale
Lead Assistant
And1: 16,721

Post#435 » by evevale » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:33 pm

Not his surgically repaired knee so no sense in diving headfirst into despair until more details are known. With how KP usually performs in the 2nd half of the season, this rest is more than likely a blessing in disguise (assuming the injury isn't more serious than what is currently known).

I'm less concerned about his current knee situation than I am about his synergy with Luka. Constantly living/playing in his shadow will likely affect his confidence and growth moving forward and it doesn't seem worth it for Luka to dial it back to get KP, or anyone, more involved. I wonder if Dallas has any regrets picking up THJ/KP as their cumulative cost could net them an actual superstar player like Giannis or AD in the offseason.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#436 » by arkuo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:32 pm

The thing with injury prone big is they really get to miss games. We just have to get used to this I guess.

Another thing to take note of is the possible radio silence by Carlisle was probably agreed upon by Cuban and KP's brother, Janis. We have to remember that Janis is also there every step of the way. So a lot of people are involved, including Casey Smith. And the fact that only general blanket statements are being released by Carlisle says something is up. :nod:
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#437 » by arkuo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:36 pm

evevale wrote:I'm less concerned about his current knee situation than I am about his synergy with Luka. Constantly living/playing in his shadow will likely affect his confidence and growth moving forward and it doesn't seem worth it for Luka to dial it back to get KP, or anyone, more involved. I wonder if Dallas has any regrets picking up THJ/KP as their cumulative cost could net them an actual superstar player like Giannis or AD in the offseason.

Nah. Cuban had his talk with KP with a full vote of confidence and a blank check to boot. Full max contract even before stepping on the court. Doesnt matter if he scores 10 or 40 pts, he plays his brand of defense, Cuban's got the kid covered for life. Same with Dirk. It's not the same with Dolan for sure.

Regarding the cost to get KP, Giannis is still an attainable target. Dallas will have space available for him (and other FAs) in 2021, that's at least one max slot open. AD though is another story. Cuban will not be touching a Rich Paul client.
J_T
Veteran

Post#438 » by J_T » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:45 pm

I think KP is a max player, there shouldn't be a worry about that. Even this knee thing - it looks like they are just very careful and want to make sure it's best for him long-term. He could have EASILY played if needed, his knee would just get a different kind of injection, a kind that removes pain. They are not interested in that, they want knee to be really well. If this is a playoff game, he is playing.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Post#439 » by HMFFL » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:02 am

Kristaps Porzingis out at least 3 of next 4 games

The details about the injury have been sparse. It is not the same knee that KP suffered the torn ACL in, but other than that fans are left to speculate what is going on.

That means he will miss the games on Jan. 10 and 11. Carlisle sounds optimistic that Porzingis could play one of the two contests on their Tuesday and Wednesday back-to-back. That also means he will miss three of the next four games.

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2020/01/10/dallas-mavericks-2020-kristaps-porzingis-knee-3-games/amp/

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
J_T
Veteran

Post#440 » by J_T » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:07 am

HMFFL wrote:Kristaps Porzingis out at least 3 of next 4 games

The details about the injury have been sparse. It is not the same knee that KP suffered the torn ACL in, but other than that fans are left to speculate what is going on.

That means he will miss the games on Jan. 10 and 11. Carlisle sounds optimistic that Porzingis could play one of the two contests on their Tuesday and Wednesday back-to-back. That also means he will miss three of the next four games.

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2020/01/10/dallas-mavericks-2020-kristaps-porzingis-knee-3-games/amp/

I don't think details have been sparse at all. Compared to every other injury around the league, I would say that there is more information about it than in 95% of the cases.

Return to Dallas Mavericks