Future Free Agent Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1881 » by Tom349 » Thu Jan 9, 2020 11:54 am

Only been 7 games and a lot will change but do we expect Jordan Clarkson to re-sign with the Jazz and if so at what price would you take him back at?

A lot still to play out with this current Jazz roster but it is going to be interesting to see who is still on the roster to begin next season. The likes of Tony Jones and other media have suggested the coaching staff and FO are happy with the development of our G league guys in Morgan, Tucker, Oni and Brantley and given the cap situation we are in we could be reliant on these guys development going forward. At the same time their isn't many roster spots for free agents signings so in the event guys like Mudiay and Clarkson feel at home here and want to stick around on reasonable contracts are we aggressive in making free agency moves with whatever cap space (mid level exception) we have left and move on these younger guys or stick with them and hope they develop like O'Neale and others. Still far to early to have any idea on what direction we will go down but will be interesting to see how the season plays out and how that will affect what happens.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#1882 » by KqWIN » Thu Jan 9, 2020 3:43 pm

The Jazz will have about $20M left under the tax once Royce is resigned. I have him at a 4/$50M deal, but who knows what he'll get paid. $20M for Clarkson, Mudiay, and their MLE...seems doable. I'm really bad at this, but I'd assume Clarkson is around $10M. Mudiay would have to be signed using some of the MLE, let's call it $5M. Then we have another $5M to go and get another player.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,277

Post#1883 » by babyjax13 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:42 am

I'm in favor of seeing what Conley can do the rest of the season...if it doesn't work out:

Utah trades: Conley, 2020 UTA 1st (currently 23), 2 2nds
New York trades: nada

The Knicks get a first for cap space, plus a vet to help develop the kiddos.

Utah opens up max cap space in an offseason where other teams don't have any. It's unlikely that say...AD opts out and comes to play with Mitchell and Gobert (but I can dream)...but I could see an offseason of say...DeRozan and Gallinari...or the other Bogdanovic + Jabari Parker (and so on). I could also see Crowder back on the rMLE.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,277

Post#1884 » by babyjax13 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:44 am

Tom349 wrote:Only been 7 games and a lot will change but do we expect Jordan Clarkson to re-sign with the Jazz and if so at what price would you take him back at?

A lot still to play out with this current Jazz roster but it is going to be interesting to see who is still on the roster to begin next season. The likes of Tony Jones and other media have suggested the coaching staff and FO are happy with the development of our G league guys in Morgan, Tucker, Oni and Brantley and given the cap situation we are in we could be reliant on these guys development going forward. At the same time their isn't many roster spots for free agents signings so in the event guys like Mudiay and Clarkson feel at home here and want to stick around on reasonable contracts are we aggressive in making free agency moves with whatever cap space (mid level exception) we have left and move on these younger guys or stick with them and hope they develop like O'Neale and others. Still far to early to have any idea on what direction we will go down but will be interesting to see how the season plays out and how that will affect what happens.

I assume we resign him. Probably offer a comparable offer to the MLE. Maybe 3/$30? Keep him locked up a while and also pay him marginally more than the MLE. For Royce, maybe 3/$36? Any time you have good rotation players making around 1/10th of the cap, I think that's good.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#1885 » by zero24gravity » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:39 pm

Marquese Chriss was waived by the Warriors. (Because the team is going nowhere & his contract was about to become guaranteed.)

He's 22 years old, uber-athletic (with Green gone the Jazz have no "bigs" who are even close to his athleticism), plays PF/C , and could be developed. It's not like he is a bad player, but certainly has work to do. At the very least he has to be better than Ed "I'm afraid of the ball" Davis, with more upside. Just a thought, not a perfect solution. Still, in 17 minutes this season he has averaged 7 points, a block, 5 rebounds, & 48FG% (22% 3's on 0.6 attempts isn't good, but at least he's a minor threat to shoot, unlike Davis or Bradley). He's a 10-15 minute rotation player that could add value & depth to the right team.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#1886 » by wco81 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:12 am

He cleared waivers, no other team bit.

Warriors may sign him again.
Wolverine
Rookie
And1: 109

Post#1887 » by Wolverine » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:22 am

zero24gravity wrote:Marquese Chriss was waived by the Warriors. (Because the team is going nowhere & his contract was about to become guaranteed.)

He's 22 years old, uber-athletic (with Green gone the Jazz have no "bigs" who are even close to his athleticism), plays PF/C , and could be developed. It's not like he is a bad player, but certainly has work to do. At the very least he has to be better than Ed "I'm afraid of the ball" Davis, with more upside. Just a thought, not a perfect solution. Still, in 17 minutes this season he has averaged 7 points, a block, 5 rebounds, & 48FG% (22% 3's on 0.6 attempts isn't good, but at least he's a minor threat to shoot, unlike Davis or Bradley). He's a 10-15 minute rotation player that could add value & depth to the right team.

Absolutely not. Dirtiest player in the league
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#1888 » by red4hf » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:43 pm

Wolverine wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:Marquese Chriss was waived by the Warriors. (Because the team is going nowhere & his contract was about to become guaranteed.)

Absolutely not. Dirtiest player in the league

Couldn't agree more...... Don't want him anywhere near the Jazz.....
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Post#1889 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:52 pm

I wouldn't mind taking on Chriss. He wasn't a good player for a while but this season when I saw him he looked much better. Also, if he's the dirtiest player in the league, me might as well have him playing for us rather than against us, injuring our players. :)
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#1890 » by sipclip » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:03 pm

I still like Chriss from a talent perspective but he is such a loose cannon at times that I'm hesitant to bring him in. In the end I think he could be worth the risk though and he is still really young. Especially because he would only cost you the minimum and waiving Goss.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#1891 » by dr0welf » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:54 pm

Chriss is not a smart basketball player, BBIQ is extremely low. Very gifted athletically. Theoretically could be a good player if he could understand the basics of the game. Unfortunately he would never leave the bench playing for Q
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#1892 » by zero24gravity » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:42 pm

dr0welf wrote:Chriss is not a smart basketball player, BBIQ is extremely low. Very gifted athletically. Theoretically could be a good player if he could understand the basics of the game. Unfortunately he would never leave the bench playing for Q

....or perhaps Q and his staff are exactly what he needs & could get the most out of him.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#1893 » by KqWIN » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:15 pm

I actually think the solution to our backup C problem is to try and get Ed Davis going again. TB is playing ok, but he will not survive in the playoffs. Now that we're above water, I'd give Davis some rotations. Maybe play them every other night.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#1894 » by sipclip » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:58 pm

KqWIN wrote:I actually think the solution to our backup C problem is to try and get Ed Davis going again. TB is playing ok, but he will not survive in the playoffs. Now that we're above water, I'd give Davis some rotations. Maybe play them every other night.
It is worth a shot. He is not nearly as bad as he looked coming back from his injury. He may have just not been healthy yet and another couple weeks of rest could do wonders. If we were to look to move him then I wonder if the hawks would have any interest in him for Jabari. Jabari is injured right now but had already begun to see his minutes decrease prior. Maybe they would have interest in a vet big to help mentor the youngsters. Then I would turn around and waive Goss and and try to bring in Noah as the backup 5.

sipclip
Head Coach

Post#1895 » by sipclip » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:11 pm

Actually Udoh makes even more sense. Once his season in China is over bring him back as the backup 5. He already knows the system and seems to get along with the core group of players.

KqWIN
RealGM

Post#1896 » by KqWIN » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:20 pm

Udoh is interesting, maybe even Bogut. Although I'd rather give Davis another chance before going with someone like Udoh, Bogut, or Noah. I'd also try Morgan, although Morgan+Niang is probably too small.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#1897 » by dr0welf » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:25 am

What do you think about Ivan Rabb? Looks like he got released from the Knicks. He was pretty good when playing for Memphis.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#1898 » by red4hf » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:23 pm

dr0welf wrote:What do you think about Ivan Rabb? Looks like he got released from the Knicks. He was pretty good when playing for Memphis.

So was Mike Conley, lol......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Post#1899 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:15 pm

red4hf wrote:
dr0welf wrote:What do you think about Ivan Rabb? Looks like he got released from the Knicks. He was pretty good when playing for Memphis.

So was Mike Conley, lol......

Funny :lol: I'll still take a risk on Ja Morant though.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#1900 » by Tom349 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:37 am

With Royce $$$ guaranteed for next season and beyond I've looked into what space we could possibly have next season. Now Im not sure whats legal and whats not with all the different rules regarding NBA salary caps but heres what I've come up with.

First if we waive Mudiay (don't have his rights) and Clarksons rights we are at 114m of a forecasted 116m salary cap which gives no cap space but if we could re-negotiate Conleys deal so instead of making 34m he makes 18-20m over an additional 3-4 four years that would leave between 17-19m in cap space. Which for 17-19m that could potentially land one of the following players Gallanari, Favors, Bertans or Fournier at 16-20m or land a combination of Milsap, Ibaka, Saric, Gasol or Joe Harris @ 8-10m. Furthermore I believe we would still have the full MLE (9.7m) and BLE(3.8m). Assuming my maths is correct and this all legal you could potentially look at having a 8 man line up of Conley, Mitchell, O'Neale, Ingles, Gobert, Bogdanovic plus Fourner/Saric, Gasol/Bertans or maybe Gallanari on his own.

This probably isn't possible for whatever reason but if it is is definitely food for thought.

Return to Utah Jazz