Cavs 2019-2020 Regular Season

Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Cavs 2019-2020 Regular Season 

Post#361 » by Stillwater » Tue Jan 7, 2020 11:42 pm

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:So they convert cook from two way then fuc... In waive him why? Exactly the kind of 3/4 forward to develop. If there is anything I don't agree with it's the way they handle the end of the bench.
Not giving Z extension now this

I read that converting his contract was done to get him more guaranteed cash before waiving him. I think it was like $50,000 more for him. Not sure why it had to be done though. The article was on hoopsrumors.

right in retrospect now that they have opened 2 spots with also waiving Mckinie you have to think they are preparing for trades of some kind requiring eating more contracts to fill the salary disparity from an outgoing TT or Love.
I just dont like it because thats another player that was what we need more so than Levi that they called up from Gleague for that 2nd two way spot right after ...unless of course they plan to trade both undersized lottery picked guards for 57 yr old savvy vets that understand how to play in the league but have no legs left and just like to talk sh..
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,379

Post#362 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jan 8, 2020 11:24 pm

Stillwater wrote:
gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:So they convert cook from two way then fuc... In waive him why? Exactly the kind of 3/4 forward to develop. If there is anything I don't agree with it's the way they handle the end of the bench.
Not giving Z extension now this

I read that converting his contract was done to get him more guaranteed cash before waiving him. I think it was like $50,000 more for him. Not sure why it had to be done though. The article was on hoopsrumors.

right in retrospect now that they have opened 2 spots with also waiving Mckinie you have to think they are preparing for trades of some kind requiring eating more contracts to fill the salary disparity from an outgoing TT or Love.
I just dont like it because thats another player that was what we need more so than Levi that they called up from Gleague for that 2nd two way spot right after ...unless of course they plan to trade both undersized lottery picked guards for 57 yr old savvy vets that understand how to play in the league but have no legs left and just like to talk sh..

They weren't even dumping those guys, they said they were open to re-signing them if they made it through waivers. I think they're just avoiding having to guarantee any of those contracts for the rest of the season.
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 931

Post#363 » by perempe20 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:14 am

Garland screens for Tristan at 1:45.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,119

Post#364 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:49 pm

perempe20 wrote:

TT was a man on a mission last night but this is also why I want no part of Drummond on his next big contract.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 931

Post#365 » by perempe20 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:28 pm

generally speaking centers are expendable.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#366 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:44 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
perempe20 wrote:

TT was a man on a mission last night but this is also why I want no part of Drummond on his next big contract.

Well, the last thing I'd do is judge any opposing player based on how they played against the Cavs, but Drummond was strangely asked to play 49 minutes last night. He was no doubt getting worn down.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#367 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:46 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
perempe20 wrote:

Well, the last thing I'd do is judge any opposing player based on how they played against the Cavs, but Drummond was strangely asked to play 49 minutes last night. He was no doubt getting worn down.

Drummond's PNR defense is dicey. He just doesn't have the foot speed.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#368 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:03 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

The age old trade-off for fans who prefer a rim protecting C who can't be pushed around.

Of course, sometimes it's more about defensive scheme. Not many people thought Zydrunas was going to be able to show & recover in 2.9 seconds or less, but it worked out much better than expected once he got the technique down.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#369 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:20 am

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The age old trade-off for fans who prefer a rim protecting C who can't be pushed around.

Of course, sometimes it's more about defensive scheme. Not many people thought Zydrunas was going to be able to show & recover in 2.9 seconds or less, but it worked out much better than expected once he got the technique down.
That was a different time when the game was officiated differently and teams didn't focus on corner threes to freeze the PF from helping. That Magic/Cavs ECF was basically foreshadowing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#370 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:12 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

That was a different time when the game was officiated differently and teams didn't focus on corner threes to freeze the PF from helping. That Magic/Cavs ECF was basically foreshadowing.

Zydrunas couldn't stand his ground in that ECF due to back problems and Ben was playing on a recently broken leg, and LeISO was too inflexible to have our shooters moving around, so SVG was able to guard the interior and the 3pt line with one guy on LeBrons drives, and Rashard Lewis was playing after being caught using PEDs.

In other words ... its complicated and I wouldn't rule anything out in the right situation.

Plenty of fans declared we'd never win a ring with a front court of Tristan Thompson and Kevin Love . . . and we almost didn't.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#371 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:12 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Zydrunas couldn't stand his ground in that ECF due to back problems and Ben was playing on a recently broken leg, and LeISO was too inflexible to have our shooters moving around, so SVG was able to guard the interior and the 3pt line with one guy on LeBrons drives, and Rashard Lewis was playing after being caught using PEDs.

In other words ... its complicated and I wouldn't rule anything out in the right situation.

Plenty of fans declared we'd never win a ring with a front court of Tristan Thompson and Kevin Love . . . and we almost didn't.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#372 » by Revenged25 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:18 pm

Sucks that Windler is now officially out for the year. Was really hoping to get to see him play this year but better to get the surgery now and make sure the issue is fixed rather than try a less extreme solution and potentially make it worse.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#373 » by Stillwater » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:03 pm

Revenged25 wrote:Sucks that Windler is now officially out for the year. Was really hoping to get to see him play this year but better to get the surgery now and make sure the issue is fixed rather than try a less extreme solution and potentially make it worse.

I mean if his game transfers to this level successfully he will be a key rotation player on this roster going forward possibly even a starter level one coming off the bench in a instant bucket getter role. his athleticism is one thing a lot of scouts slept on imo.
hopefully whatever is going on hasn't been re-injured so to speak to require the surgery but thats probably what happened which may be career threatening if they didnt get the surgery done.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#374 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:49 am

I missed this, but apparently TT wants a max to re-sign with the Cavs. https://cavaliersnation.com/2019/12/29/people-around-nba-doubtful-tristan-thompson-cavs-1st-round-pick-trade/

There's simply no way I'd give it to him, for all his attributes, he's an undersized center who has flaws. Time to get a couple good seconds for him.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#375 » by Revenged25 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:53 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I missed this, but apparently TT wants a max to re-sign with the Cavs. https://cavaliersnation.com/2019/12/29/people-around-nba-doubtful-tristan-thompson-cavs-1st-round-pick-trade/

There's simply no way I'd give it to him, for all his attributes, he's an undersized center who has flaws. Time to get a couple good seconds for him.

So what he's saying is he's fine finishing out the year with the Cavs, but he's not sticking around past this year unless he gets the max. Well have fun getting paid $10 mil or less elsewhere.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#376 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:09 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I missed this, but apparently TT wants a max to re-sign with the Cavs. https://cavaliersnation.com/2019/12/29/people-around-nba-doubtful-tristan-thompson-cavs-1st-round-pick-trade/

So what he's saying is he's fine finishing out the year with the Cavs, but he's not sticking around past this year unless he gets the max. Well have fun getting paid $10 mil or less elsewhere.

I'd trade him for what we can get at the deadline and leave the door open after he's tested his value on the open market.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#377 » by Stillwater » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:20 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I'd trade him for what we can get at the deadline and leave the door open after he's tested his value on the open market.

I agree but I definitely would not eat a bad contract meaning longer than 1 extra year if the player coming back is not at least a potential rotation level 3 not for meh 2nds unless they are like 31-41 range and if they do take back a 2 yr deal I think of the player or players one would have to be looked at as an asset to this roster in some way for them to pull the trigger without a first coming back.
I am not sold we can get a 2020 first for TT at this point even though he would definitely help some contenders, as a lot of them cannot trade their firsts this draft , but a future one could be possible I guess
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#378 » by Revenged25 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:42 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I agree but I definitely would not eat a bad contract meaning longer than 1 extra year if the player coming back is not at least a potential rotation level 3 not for meh 2nds unless they are like 31-41 range and if they do take back a 2 yr deal I think of the player or players one would have to be looked at as an asset to this roster in some way for them to pull the trigger without a first coming back.
I am not sold we can get a 2020 first for TT at this point even though he would definitely help some contenders, as a lot of them cannot trade their firsts this draft , but a future one could be possible I guess

I like Dallas as a fit. Take back Courtney Lee and either Justin Jackson or Isaiah Roby, possibly both. It would give them someone that can play on the perimeter defensively letting Zingas be a shot blocker on defense and would help with offensive rebounding while Zinger moves out to the perimeter taking advantage of a range.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#379 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:48 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I like Dallas as a fit. Take back Courtney Lee and either Justin Jackson or Isaiah Roby, possibly both. It would give them someone that can play on the perimeter defensively letting Zingas be a shot blocker on defense and would help with offensive rebounding while Zinger moves out to the perimeter taking advantage of a range.

I think I'd rather have a good second than a middling prospect half way through his rookie contract.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#380 » by Stillwater » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:02 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I agree but I definitely would not eat a bad contract meaning longer than 1 extra year if the player coming back is not at least a potential rotation level 3 not for meh 2nds unless they are like 31-41 range and if they do take back a 2 yr deal I think of the player or players one would have to be looked at as an asset to this roster in some way for them to pull the trigger without a first coming back.

I think I'd rather have a good second than a middling prospect half way through his rookie contract.

you talking about Jackson right? I mean Roby is hard to peg not sure if he is a good fit here or there, but Jackson is serviceable if a high 2nd was attached and they didn't get any better offers. I mean DAL probably would do it

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers