PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics]

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#1 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:32 pm

A fresh start for the OT thread. Unfortunately we can't link to the old ones. No one here is in trouble, but I can't elaborate beyond that. Continue!
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#2 » by eminence » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:00 am

Mysterious...

And you kids these days have such strange taste in movies
I bought a boat.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,239

Post#3 » by trex_8063 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:05 am

Man, they should really do away with the fan vote for the All-Star game (or at least do more to minimize its effect on roster selection.....make worth only 10% [or 5%] or something).
I admit some of my disgust is related to being a Jazz fan, but seriously........

Rudy Gobert is once again not even in the top 10 among Western Conference frontcourt players, while 7th thru 10th in votes are (respectively):
*Krystaps Porzingis (who has [would it be fair to say?] somewhat underperformed expectation [and missed 6 of 37 games, fwiw])
**the aging husk of Carmelo Anthony (who didn't even have a contract until about 6 weeks ago)
***Brandon Ingram (OK, him I will at least concede is a reasonable All-Star selection)
****Dwight Howard (and his 19.6 mpg)

Donovan Mitchell is 7th among guards in the West, behind Steph Curry (who's played just 4 games for the team with the worst record in the league---->he's 4th in votes, naturally) and Alex Caruso (19.4 mpg), to name but a couple "questionable" inclusions.

Kyrie Irving is 2nd among backcourt players in the East, despite the fact that he's played just 11 (of 36) games so far, and the Nets have been better without him. Derrick Rose is 4th, ahead of guys like Jaylen Brown, Bradley Beal, and Ben Simmons.

Tacko Fall is 6th among all Eastern Conference frontcourt players. Don't know who that is? That's because he's played a grand total of 21 minutes this season for the Celtics.......and he's 6th.

If this doesn't underscore how questionable the "value" of an All-Star selection is in ranking criteria, I don't know what does.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,205

Post#4 » by Dr Spaceman » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:45 pm

eminence wrote:Mysterious...

What are some recent movies you enjoy?
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,827

Post#5 » by Zeitgeister » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:58 pm

I'm not sure where to post this but Elgee and Drza had a very nice podcast about a subject that has been of intense debate over the years, Duncan vs KG.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/thinking-basketball-podcast/e/66490146?autoplay=true
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
eminence
RealGM

Post#6 » by eminence » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:14 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Mostly watch kids movies these days (and exclusively at home), with Spider-verse and Coco the two recent standouts. Outside that... hmm, I liked The Last Black Man in San Francisco.
I bought a boat.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,568

Post#7 » by Colbinii » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:21 pm

eminence wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Mostly watch kids movies these days (and exclusively at home), with Spider-verse and Coco the two recent standouts. Outside that... hmm, I liked The Last Black Man in San Francisco.

Spider-verse was amazing.

Did you see Big Hero 6 or Inside Out?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#8 » by Dr Spaceman » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:23 pm

eminence wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Spider-verse is a masterpiece and imo one of the greatest movies ever made, period.

Curious what movies people like that you’re confused by.
eminence
RealGM

Post#9 » by eminence » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:23 pm

Colbinii wrote:
eminence wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:What are some recent movies you enjoy?

Spider-verse was amazing.

Did you see Big Hero 6 or Inside Out?

I have, liked Inside Out pretty well, Big Hero 6 pretty meh from me. Liked Moana, who doesn't love a big singing crab?
I bought a boat.
eminence
RealGM

Post#10 » by eminence » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:35 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
eminence wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:What are some recent movies you enjoy?

Spider-verse is a masterpiece and imo one of the greatest movies ever made, period.

Curious what movies people like that you’re confused by.

Haven't seen Parasite, but have never enjoyed his other stuff.

Midsommar is just way outside of my interests.

Once Upon a Time was... Umm interesting I guess? Tarantino went too far down the rabbit hole imo.

I don't remember which other movies were discussed and can't find the thread :)
I bought a boat.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#11 » by Dr Spaceman » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:07 pm

eminence wrote:
Haven't seen Parasite, but have never enjoyed his other stuff. )

I haven’t either but I will soon. I thought Snowpiercer was solid, although my friends in college at the time all talked it up like it was the most mind-bending philosophical world-changing tale ever and I was pretty disappointed after that buildup. Just a solid movie with an interesting premise.

eminence wrote: Midsommar is just way outside of my interests.

Fair enough. The response has been messy. It’s extremely polarizing. I will say I think the main reason for this is that the movie has been extremely mis-read and Mis-marketed. I don’t view it as a “breakup movie” nor as a “folk horror” per se. I even disagree with the director himself about a lot of stuff he’s said about this movie.

What it is is just a really really powerful extended metaphor for dealing with grief and trauma, and specifically a cautionary tale about what happens when you don’t have a (proper) support network or the space to express those emotions rather than stuffing them down, and even further how American culture generally pushes people to stifle and repress and not seek support.. It basically went after a similar message as Joker but did it in a much more engaging and thoughtful way, and without the heavy-handed political messaging and crushing darkness (Midsommar is actually quite funny in places).

I have A LOT fo thoughts on Midsommar, favorite movie of 2019 so far, but I get that it’s just not everyone’s cup of tea.

eminence wrote:Once Upon a Time was... Umm interesting I guess? Tarantino went too far down the rabbit hole imo. )

Were you a fan of his previous works? I actually feel like it was QT at his least indulgent... there was a genuine affection for the characters here that I think is pretty rare from Tarantino.

eminence wrote:I don't remember which other movies were discussed and can't find the thread :)

Other favorites of the year for me were Little Women, Knives Out, Ad Astra, John Wick 3, Avengers Endgame, Toy Story 4. Haven’t seen Uncut Gems or the Lighthouse but after I do I’ll make a top 10 list.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,509

Post#12 » by GSP » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:13 pm

Memories of Murder is a must watch and Bongs best. It's arguably the greatest Korean movie ever

It's basically a Korean version of Finchers Zodiac. Actually since it came out years before it's better to say Zodiac is an American Memories of Murder
eminence
RealGM

Post#13 » by eminence » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:08 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
eminence wrote:
Haven't seen Parasite, but have never enjoyed his other stuff. )

I haven’t either but I will soon. I thought Snowpiercer was solid, although my friends in college at the time all talked it up like it was the most mind-bending philosophical world-changing tale ever and I was pretty disappointed after that buildup. Just a solid movie with an interesting premise.

eminence wrote:Once Upon a Time was... Umm interesting I guess? Tarantino went too far down the rabbit hole imo. )

Were you a fan of his previous works? I actually feel like it was QT at his least indulgent... there was a genuine affection for the characters here that I think is pretty rare from Tarantino.

eminence wrote:I don't remember which other movies were discussed and can't find the thread :)

Other favorites of the year for me were Little Women, Knives Out, Ad Astra, John Wick 3, Avengers Endgame, Toy Story 4. Haven’t seen Uncut Gems or the Lighthouse but after I do I’ll make a top 10 list.

I liked Uncut Gems decently well (agreed with others that KG was great). Need to see Little Women for sure. Wick/Avengers/Toy Story all decent. Haven't seen the other two.

The only Tarantino movies I can say I genuinely like are the 1st two (Pulp/Dawgs), never seen Jackie.

Lol, my least favorite part of Snowpiercer was talking about it.

Favorite pieces of art across genres for some reference (doing this for myself as much as anything, to think back on pieces that I really feel):
The Sandman by Gaiman
Galapagos by Vonnegut
The Little Prince (book, didn't love the movie) by Saint-Exupery
Johnny Got His Gun by Trumbo
Rabbit, Run by Updike
Something Happened by Heller
The Magic Mountain by Mann
Mont Saite-Victoire by Cezanne
Everyday by The Crickets
Mr. Tambourine Man and Shelter From the Storm (Blood On the Tracks version) by Dylan
Badlands by Springsteen
Sin Nombre from Fukunaga
Das Boot from Petersen
The Act of Killing from Oppenheimer
Fantastic Mr. Fox from Andersen
When Harry Met Sally from Reiner
And too many short stories to list

Edit: Forgot one - We Are the Best! from Moodysson
I bought a boat.
GSP
RealGM

Post#14 » by GSP » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:12 pm

When Harry Met Sally is the only good romcom thats ever existed

prove me wrong
eminence
RealGM

Post#15 » by eminence » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:17 pm

Does the 40 Year Old Virgin count?
I bought a boat.
GSP
RealGM

Post#16 » by GSP » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:24 pm

eminence wrote:Does the 40 Year Old Virgin count?

Nah since its not good :lol: :lol:
eminence
RealGM

Post#17 » by eminence » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:30 pm

GSP wrote:

Good, probably not, I usually laugh though.

It's a tough genre to define, there are some decent movies who ride the line on if they are or aren't a part of it - eg The Princess Bride (which is more than decent). Watched High Fidelity recently and didn't hate it. City Lights is undeniably a classic.

Lots of bad rom-coms for sure though.
I bought a boat.
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,827

Post#18 » by Zeitgeister » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:52 pm

500 Days of Summer is a good romcom.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#19 » by E-Balla » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:00 am

GSP wrote:

I'm guessing you're not a fan of Knocked Up or Forgetting Sarah Marshall either.
GSP
RealGM

Post#20 » by GSP » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:12 am

E-Balla wrote:
GSP wrote:

I'm guessing you're not a fan of Knocked Up or Forgetting Sarah Marshall either.

Not a fan of Forgetting Sarah Marshall at all. Never saw Knocked Up. From the trailers i knew i wouldnt like it and i cant stand Rogen (outside of his performance in Pineapple Express) or Heigl either

Return to Player Comparisons