Portis for Dedmon/2nds

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Portis for Dedmon/2nds 

Post#1 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:20 pm

Ill offer this idea for:
-Knicks to sell some 2020 space for 2nds
-Kings create more 2020 cap space to manage around Bogdanovic RFA and Hield extension

To New York
-Dwayne Dedmon (2 years, $26.7 million plus $1 million guaranteed)
-2020 Detroit 2nd round pick
-2020 Miami 2nd round pick
-2021 Miami 2nd round pick

To Sacramento
-Bobby Portis (1 year, $15 million plus TO)

Why?
-Knicks sell some 2020 cap space for 2nds as Dedmon can backup Robison at the 5
-Kings use some of their excess 2020 and 2021 2nds to buy cap space to manage around new contract to Bogdanvoic and using exemption money
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Re: Portis for Dedmon/2nds 

Post#2 » by kalenclayton » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:24 pm

Sure from this Kings fan. Portis could absolutely be of use.
Clyde Ward
Sophomore
And1: 96

Post#3 » by Clyde Ward » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:17 pm

any way to expand this to include bogdan back to nyk?

the knicks have about 7 picks (4 1sts in the next 4 years) a few extra seconds for 2 years of dedmon might be overkill.

NYK OUT: Portis, Smith Jr., Trier, Ellington
SAC OUT: Dedmon, Ariza, Bodgdonavic

2nd Round picks as necessary either way...

Why for SAC:

- Shed Dedmond and Ariza's contract for the next 2/3 years (dedmon is a non-fully guaranteed 3rd year).
- Get back Portis, who could be a useful system player,
- Ellington can help replace Bogdonavic's shooting off the bench - is expiring.
- Trier and Smith Jr. are two young players who are cost-controlled assets. Trier is more plug and play - Smith Jr. would hopefully play better in a new situation (kings playing style does fit him fairly well as a backup to fox).
- Don't need to worry about Bogdonavic's extension.

Why for NYK:
- Clear out the clutter in the back-court for a more fitting piece in Bogdonavic. Can afford his extension this offseason.
- Turn some of the expiring vets into a younger (albeit - 27 yr old) compliment to Barrett and Robinson.
- Taking on Dedmon and Ariza is the cost of doing business to acquire a talented, well-fitting player. No FA's are coming to NYC next year...

SAC could probably get more for Bogdonavic, however, the addition by subtraction of their non-expiring, overpriced vets is the major value for a team that just handed Hield and Barnes a massive extension.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#4 » by pacers33granger » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:41 pm

I would want more than 3 2nds to sacrifice that much 2020 space on a guy who wouldn't be usable for NY and would likely have issues being there (as he'd get little minutes and would be on a worse team).
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by kalenclayton » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:42 pm

Clyde Ward wrote:any way to expand this to include bogdan back to nyk?

the knicks have about 7 picks (4 1sts in the next 4 years) a few extra seconds for 2 years of dedmon might be overkill.

NYK OUT: Portis, Smith Jr., Trier, Ellington
SAC OUT: Dedmon, Ariza, Bodgdonavic

2nd Round picks as necessary either way...

Why for SAC:

- Shed Dedmond and Ariza's contract for the next 2/3 years (dedmon is a non-fully guaranteed 3rd year).
- Get back Portis, who could be a useful system player,
- Ellington can help replace Bogdonavic's shooting off the bench - is expiring.
- Trier and Smith Jr. are two young players who are cost-controlled assets. Trier is more plug and play - Smith Jr. would hopefully play better in a new situation (kings playing style does fit him fairly well as a backup to fox).
- Don't need to worry about Bogdonavic's extension.

Why for NYK:
- Clear out the clutter in the back-court for a more fitting piece in Bogdonavic. Can afford his extension this offseason.
- Turn some of the expiring vets into a younger (albeit - 27 yr old) compliment to Barrett and Robinson.
- Taking on Dedmon and Ariza is the cost of doing business to acquire a talented, well-fitting player. No FA's are coming to NYC next year...

SAC could probably get more for Bogdonavic, however, the addition by subtraction of their non-expiring, overpriced vets is the major value for a team that just handed Hield and Barnes a massive extension.

That’s a worse trade for the Kings. They wouldn’t move Bogi like that and the result of this trade would just make the team worse. The players coming back here aren’t enough to move Bogi for. Im not convinced that DSJ is a good player and Trier doesn’t move the needle. DSJ likely gets benched in Sac behind both CoJo and Yogi (especially with Walton coaching). Trier maybe becomes a 15 mpg player, but it just isn’t worth the loss of Bogi and even Ariza (who has been playing heavy minutes). Contracts are more valuable than cap space to the Kings, even if they are overpaid. This team would not make that deal.
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#6 » by becorz » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:46 pm

It seems like the Kings could probably trade Dedmon to the Hawks for an expiring. What is the point of adding seconds for Portis? We still have bigs without Dedmon
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Post#7 » by blind prophet » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:33 pm

becorz wrote:It seems like the Kings could probably trade Dedmon to the Hawks for an expiring. What is the point of adding seconds for Portis? We still have bigs without Dedmon

I know the rumor said Vlade was asking too much, but I'm not convinced that means the Hawks wouldn't want some picks.

Maybe expiring salary was asking too much.
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#8 » by becorz » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:11 am

blind prophet wrote:
becorz wrote:It seems like the Kings could probably trade Dedmon to the Hawks for an expiring. What is the point of adding seconds for Portis? We still have bigs without Dedmon

I know the rumor said Vlade was asking too much, but I'm not convinced that means the Hawks wouldn't want some picks.

Maybe expiring salary was asking too much.

That's fair. But I don't see the point of trading picks to get rid of Dedmon, unless it is for a bigger upgrade than Portis would represent. If the Kings got Portis, he would be fighting for minutes from Giles? Maybe some of the PF minutes that Ariza/Barnes get? Portis wouldn't be playing over Holmes, Bagley, or Bjelica.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#9 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:37 am

Gross for the knicks.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#10 » by queridiculo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:48 am

kalenclayton wrote:Sure from this Kings fan. Portis could absolutely be of use.

Portis is trash, can the Kings really afford to hemorrhage 2nd rounders to get out of the final year of Dedmon's contract?
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#11 » by Resistance » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:11 pm

If they want to move on from Dedmon next season, then maybe they can do something similar to what the Lakers did with the Deng buyout.

Get Dedmon to give back the equivalent of the veteran minimum in September and waive him. Take the charge for the season on the remaining salary.
They would still need to pay him the partial guarantee for the 2021-22 season.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by kalenclayton » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:28 pm

queridiculo wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:Sure from this Kings fan. Portis could absolutely be of use.

Portis is trash, can the Kings really afford to hemorrhage 2nd rounders to get out of the final year of Dedmon's contract?

I’m not an avid watcher of Portis, but I’ve seen him flash over the years and he has skill. He could work as a bench big for the Kings. I don’t think moving 3 2nds is really necessary , but the Kings have so many of them that if they thought he was a difference maker it would be worth it.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by kalenclayton » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:33 pm

Resistance wrote:If they want to move on from Dedmon next season, then maybe they can do something similar to what the Lakers did with the Deng buyout.

Get Dedmon to give back the equivalent of the veteran minimum in September and waive him. Take the charge for the season on the remaining salary.

They aren’t that far with Dedmon. He got back in the rotation a few games ago and showed a bit. He’s just not a good fit for the team. He seems to be liked by the players though so I don’t think he’s causing any problems. It wouldn’t be smart to waste cap like that. He can still play in spot minutes for this team. Unfortunately, Walton just doesn’t know how to use him.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#14 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:49 pm

I like the premise, but IDK if NYK would need the picks so soon. Push them out more, something like:

Portis for Deadmon + Highest of SAC 2020 SRP + 2022 SAC SRP + 2023 SAC SRP

That still may not do it. I think a 2021 Top-20 protected FRP may have to be involved, with protection staying at Top-20 for a few years then it turns into 2 SRPs.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#15 » by Resistance » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:56 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
Resistance wrote:If they want to move on from Dedmon next season, then maybe they can do something similar to what the Lakers did with the Deng buyout.

They aren’t that far with Dedmon. He got back in the rotation a few games ago and showed a bit. He’s just not a good fit for the team. He seems to be liked by the players though so I don’t think he’s causing any problems. It wouldn’t be smart to waste cap like that. He can still play in spot minutes for this team. Unfortunately, Walton just doesn’t know how to use him.

I offered the idea as an alternative to sending value (pick compensation) to dump his salary. If all involved can be nice for the duration of the contract, then that beats a buyout or trading him with compensation to dump him.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by kalenclayton » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:35 pm

Resistance wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

I offered the idea as an alternative to sending value (pick compensation) to dump his salary. If all involved can be nice for the duration of the contract, then that beats a buyout or trading him with compensation to dump him.

Oh for sure. He can still fall down to that level so your idea is still viable. It’s just not the right move at the moment. I do think dumping him for a couple 2nds could be viable if it helps the team keep Bogi. They don’t have to do that, but it could help.

Return to Trades and Transactions